Quest bug list

edited June 2013 in World Library
Hey folks. With permission from Iosai (aka mods don't delete this), Chade and I are working on compiling a detailed list of bugged quests and we need your help!! We're breaking it down by quests that have major bugs that prevent completion, and minor ones that need to be fixed, but feel free to post any bugs you know of.

Now's your chance to contribute, please post any quest bugs with as much detail as possible!

Under investigation:
Orphanage dark side
Asylum dark side
Talthos
Malacoda dark side
Kephera orbs/shark liver

Done investigating:
Angkrag slave master
Gorgogs rift
Icewynd- Open Climanti Forsaken side acolyte issue
Icewynd- Blinding Eye of Zeros
Icewynd- duplicate ice angel/duplicate phoenix issues
KNR rabbit:fox ratio miniquest - Fixed
Mt. Zoaka- Hraxri's love life quest
Presidio
Bottledowns dark side (invading facility) - Fixed
Rikenfriez
Lirangsha
Catacombs of the Dead

Comments

• I've noticed that now and then with the Presidio an item or two seems to not show up- two murder weapons instead of three, for instance, but it's always gone back to functional the next time the mobs reset. Other than that it seems to work fine. The Asylum's dark side seems to have an issue in that every time in the last several IG years I've visited it the doctors claim to have created their report already but when I visit the guy in his lair he claims to still need it, so either that's not resetting right or I've got terrible luck and somebody happens to clean the place out religiously.
  • edited May 2013
    Hi guys,

Just to give you an idea of how we're structuring the bug reports - here's the one for Angkrag:

Working Quests - Minor Bugs:

Angkrag Slave Master

Bugged NPCs:

nasir1926

Relevant Commands:

TURN SKELETON

PUSH SKELETON

GREET NASIR

Relevant Rooms:

v4049

Relevant NPCs:

skeleton2206

skeleton2214

skeleton2218

orc2174

Relevant Bug Reports:

Bug #7701

Notes:

This quest is completed by trapping the drunken orc (orc2174) in a room with the three skeleton sentries surrounding it (skeleton2206, skeleton 2214, skeleton2218). This is done by TURNing the skeletons and then PUSHing them. On 10 quest completions an honours line is given.

Bug Specifics:

• Honours line not being given after 10 quest completions.

• This bug may be related to the new QUESTS system - I had completed the Angkrag quest 6 times before the introduction of the QUESTS command - when I check QUESTS ANGKRAG it tells me I only have 4 personal completions for the quest. - Chade

If you don't want to put specifics of how to complete a quest into this thread, feel free to message the details to Ixion or myself and we'll add them to the list we're compiling. As much info as you can give us would be great.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Kiakodan Nature Reserve fox and rabbit counts are very, very inconsistent to the point that solving that part of the quest feels entirely like luck sometimes. Maybe I just have it wrong though, but everyone I've spoken to about it says it's broken.
  • edited May 2013
    Rivius said:
    Kiakodan Nature Reserve fox and rabbit counts are very, very inconsistent to the point that solving that part of the quest feels entirely like luck sometimes. Maybe I just have it wrong though, but everyone I've spoken to about it says it's broken.
    I've tried this as a tracker. It's not any better.

Editting for clarification: Norgur gave the following readings when prints showed 6 rabbits, I counted eight (two were in the hutch, and as far as I could tell not doing anything), prints showed five foxes and neither I nor my wolf could find any, including by digging in the area.

Norgur Mardack says, "I'd say.. 20 rabbits and 3 foxes."
    Norgur Mardack says, "I'd say.. 19 rabbits and 2 foxes."
    Norgur Mardack says, "I'd say.. 13 rabbits and 2 foxes."
    Norgur Mardack says, "I'd say.. 20 rabbits and 3 foxes."
    Norgur Mardack says, "I'd say.. 14 rabbits and 2 foxes."
    Norgur Mardack says, "I'd say.. 18 rabbits and 2 foxes."
    Norgur Mardack says, "I'd say.. 15 rabbits and 2 foxes."

Giving the go-ahead resulted in the too many foxes result, despite zero being findable in the zone and Norgur's count showing too many rabbits.
  • edited May 2013
    Hmm @Rivius.

I haven't tried KNR in a while, but when I did it the only reliable way to tell if there is a bug is to use PRINTS in tracking to get a guaranteed count.

Have you or anyone else tried this, gotten a 5:1 ratio or whatever it is, and it still failed? ^ahh apparently Kalnid ninjad me. Okay I'll check it out. (prints doesn't catch all rooms/mobs, it's really odd, but sounds like a bug though!)
  • Hraxri's quest on Mount Zoaka. I've given the pipe and 10 packages a couple of times but he still asks for more and then the quest resets.

Reported as bug 5452.
  • Just dropped you a quick message Dys, will add it to the report now but if you could send me more details (see message) that'd be great.

Thanks.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited May 2013
    What's bugged about Rikenfriez? Afaik it was fixed. Multiple people have gotten the honours from it (and farmed it for easy ikons after).

I have a pile of quest-bugs sitting in my queue, I can try to sort through and add some here later.

I do know that the introduction of "you are now able to make the keph queens invulnerable at any point!" change really screwed with the whole Undervault epic quest system. There was even a time where Khementen was invulnerable even with no orb on her pedestal. Iosai has done a couple of tweaks to reduce the issues there, but more still remain.

It either needs a thorough review to account for the change that was kind of just thrown in, or that needs to be pulled until there is time for review, because it is actually possible to completely block the Illith side from being done at certain points because of invul queens.

Also, it is now possible to make the queens invulnerable even when Zenobia is already up (in which case they auto-respawn and don't need it) after someone drops the orbs once. This leaves the quest looking like Zenobia is still invincible (the orbs are up) but the bone shark liver cannot be created. You have to gamble on whether or not she really is vulnerable.

Essentially, it boils down to: You can make the queens invulnerable at any stage of the quest, but you can only get shark livers at specific stages (used to only be one stage but it did get expanded a bit). This leads to points where queens can't be touched, even with questing.
    Also, the Kiakoda quest is only partially bugged. I have a really long bug report in on it that explains exactly what the two issues are. I will post it when I get home, so don't spend too much time on it!
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    I just received the Rikenfriez honours earlier today, so can confirm that it's working properly. Could benefit from clearer instruction in how to use the ice pick though. It's the first time I came across a quest needing a USE <item> ON <blah> syntax, rather than just a USE <item> action.
  • edited May 2013
    I'm pretty sure Rikenfriez may still be bugged, it's just that it only happens occasionally. I've had Ahhuma randomly come into the room when I didn't think I was done and then just stand there without giving me anything, and the ice pick poofing on me. I could get it back from her by starting the quest again (with her still standing on the ice), but then the same thing would happen. I can't remember at this point if there was anything odd I did that might have made it be weird.

I was able to come back after Ahhuma had reset and finish the quest though.
  • edited May 2013
    I just did Riken no problem, removed from list.

Removing Chancel from the list too, seems the major old bugs have been fixed and we've seen flame warriors/suits recently so unless someone posts a specific issue I'll leave it off.
  • Chancel's probably still bugged in minor ways. If you're trying to relase dark armors, you have to know how to do it beforehand because once Ethildora is in, she gives you no indication on how to do the ritual.

Also, certain items will spawn on the same dwarf occasionally, making it impossible to beg off of them in one go. Yes, this is a bug. Some people don't want to murder the dwarves for their stuff.
    edited May 2013
    Critical bugs:
    Kiakoda Nature Preserve:
    Bug #6952   Status: Classified
    (The details of this bug are way too lengthy and Just Plain Wrong to copy / paste here; at least 8 different bug reports all got slammed together into one with all kinds of misinformation which probably makes it a lot harder to fix)
    It essentially boils down to this:
    Non-Bug but Confusing Features:
    - The PRINTS command does not work.  People love to tell you to just use it to get the balance right, but they're just giving you headaches and frustration.  There appears to be an unconnected room rabbits and foxes can spawn in where they show on PRINTS but do not count towards Norgur's estimate or the actual total.
    - Foxes burrow.  You need to dig every room in the southeast corner.  Foxes also move, and there is no room message when they move while burrowed.  This means you need to dig every room more than once.  I personally bought a silver shovel, dug every room up, then went back and did every room a second time.  This was pretty much always good enough to get all the foxes.
    Buggy buggy bugs:
    - If there are 2 foxes or fewer in the area, it's an automatic loss.  You cannot win.  Period.  2 foxes and 10 rabbits = failure.  1 fox and 5 rabbits = failure.  Just intentionally fail the quest to reset the count.
    - If there are less than 14 rabbits, you cannot win.  Period.  You need a minimum of 3 foxes and 15 rabbits to succeed, so just reset the quest and try again.
    - Theoretically you should be able to overcome the above problem by breeding rabbits, but that's the other bug: Put rabbits in the hatch and they just scrabble around inside but refuse to actually breed.  You cannot make new rabbits.
    To fix this quest:
    1) Make breeding rabbits work.
    2) Make it so that 3 foxes will always spawn at minimum (I imagine that the lower limit is in there to prevent someone from killing all but 1 fox and 5 rabbits, and is "intentional").

Stupid Kepheran Queens
    Bug #6383   Status: Classified
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -------[Xenthos on 1/9/2013 @ 15:14 bugs]------
    I cannot kill Queen Khementen at the moment.  When I try, she does the following: Hive Queen Khementen glistens as she draws deeply upon the psionic energies of the Hive Queens through the nearby Eye of Keph, easily turning aside the attack. Hive Queen Khementen exclaims, "The Hive Queens will not be so easily struck down!"  However, looking at the room: A marble pedestal rises up from the floor here.  <-- The orb is -not- on the pedestal.  When I feed kepherans to Cyaratalegur, he does not give us any shark livers.  I'm not quite sure what's going on with her, but she should be vulnerable at the moment, there is no Eye of Keph on the pedestal.

Forsaken shard bug
    Bug #6414   Status: Classified
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -------[Xenthos on 1/12/2013 @ 19:00 bugs]------
    I think this Acolyte of the Forsaken tripped an untrapped error (acolyte 98579).  Tacita led him to the right spot and summoned the wind.  However, the moment that the wind spawned, he stopped reacting- and now he's still in the "appears locked in concentration" stage when we greet him, he did not move on to the point where he actually summoned the shard to put in Climanti's Spire.
    -------[Xenthos on 1/12/2013 @ 19:01 adds]------
    And he no longer responds to "Can you sense a shard?" So we can't even try for another one.

^-- This is when the Forsaken quest bugged out.  Since then, Acolytes refuse to go searching for shards.

Non-critical bugs:
    Forsaken Shard
    -------[Xenthos on 10/14/2012 @ 00:19 bugs]------
    You say, "Do you sense a shard?" An Acolyte of the Forsaken presses his hands together and entwines his fingers awkwardly, then twists. Crimson paints and markings line up, forming a strange, archaic ritual circle between his hands as the air begins to crackle with psionic energy. - Crackling waves of psionic energy ripple outwards, still searching. - *then nothing*.  When I look he is gone.  Note that I had just gotten him a short time before and had only collected 1 shard, we were looking for the second.  Where did he go?

Slaying the Ice Angels
    Basically, before a bug fix, you could kill one ice angel and it would not respawn.  After the bug fix, you can now have a living Ice Angel in the room who is also quite dead inside the Spire.  They shouldn't be able to spawn a living version while entombed in ice.
    Bug #6412   Status: Classified
    -------[Xenthos on 1/12/2013 @ 17:15 bugs]------
    When you tweaked the Forsaken quest in order to make it only give 1 piece for putting in the medallions, it was broken.  When I probe the spire I see: Across the southern face of the spire stretches the angelic figure of Dungari, Bounty of the Icewynd, his rotund figure captured as though thrashing in pain.  However, putting all the medallions in spawned a second Dungari: "dungari310209"           Dungari, Bounty of the Icewynd  <-- Prior to the tweak, it would not spawn an already-dead angel...

Forsaken Past
    Bug #5404   Status: Classified
    -------[Xenthos on 10/14/2012 @ 15:26 bugs]------
    In a soft voice, Master Tlacari Dix says, "It will be a bit before he returns... Upon his return, we will know that we are yet safe from the Soulless."  <-- I fed the phoenix a while, it went out to do its thing.  However, I went to see the King to see if there was something else that needed to be done while we wait.  When I came back, I mentioned the word "king" and "help" again.  Tlacari brought out another phoenix.  Apparently he forgot that one was just sent out.  Does this mean that the thing reset and needs to be redone?
    -------[Xenthos on 10/14/2012 @ 15:31 adds]------
    In answer: A bit later, I saw this. A ruckus emanates from the hatchery high in the city as a great ice phoenix approaches its landing, its descent slow and weak, lazy circles as it slowly makes its way to the stone of the tower. <-- When this happened, the new phoenix chick hatchling also poofed. Probably shouldn't let you start up a new one while you're waiting for the return.

Kiakoda Nature Preserve
    Bug #5865   Status: Classified
    -------[Xenthos on 11/25/2012 @ 01:32 bugs]------
    Another (separate) bug for the Kiakoda preserve: When you go up to Alfred and say "Help," he says that the areas are out of balance.  And at least for myself, every time I have successfully helped him, I put every area in balance.  When I go up and say "help" again he says: Alfred Cottontail says, "Thanks in large part to the work of our volunteers, each one of the reserve's areas stands in balance, sheltered in the bosum of Kiakoda's bounteous heart."  <-- Well, of course they are all in balance, I just balanced them.
    -------[Xenthos on 11/25/2012 @ 01:33 adds]------
    So in this case, I need to wait 4-5 hours before an area goes out of balance before I can actually finish the quest. Once an area is out of balance again, he'll let me greet him and turn in the ink.
    -------[Xenthos on 11/25/2012 @ 01:34 adds]------
    As further evidence: Before I put all the areas in balance, You say, "Help." Alfred Cottontail says, "Notionally, the reserve's areas are supposed to exist in a sustained equilibrium, such that the animals can exist without our interference." Once all the areas were in balance, he suddenly no longer wants to end the quest. :(.

Lirangsha (both sides):
    Bug #6539   Status: Classified
    -------[Xenthos on 1/19/2013 @ 01:32 bugs]------
    The bubbles, marbles, Nightmares and Dreams can despawn instantly.  For example, you can be pushing around a bubble, it can pop into a Dream, and then when you do IH there is no dream in the room.  Tracking pets can't find it.  It instantly despawned.  This means you have to re-do the set to re-create the thing.

Lirangsha, dream bubbles and nightmare bubbles:
    Bug #6555   Status: Classified
    -------[Xenthos on 1/20/2013 @ 16:06 bugs]------
    It is possible for dream manifestations to go 'down' from the pancopticon (I am currently influencing one at "Ascending into the clouds").  But since you cannot turn the bubble to go up, the only way is to pop it and hope it goes back up on its own.  Probably shouldn't be able to go down.

Lirangsha, putting down the Goloths:
    Bug #6536
    When giving the sleeping Elders the marbles they want, they will happily accept them.  However, every so often they will just all break and stop accepting marbles, ala:
    -------[Xenthos on 1/18/2013 @ 23:36 bugs]------
    You give a glowing diamond marble to High Elder Aurelia Serrano. A glowing diamond marble passes through the hands of High Elder Aurelia Serrano and falls to the floor. <-- Errrrrr... what?  She's supposed to accept them when she is sleeping, to wake up.  What's going on here?  HELP!

(I'm not copying the rest of it because it just gets angstier as the rest of the elders break and the quest goes bork)

After about 50 minutes the elders all despawn, and there are no elders around for a while.  Then after another 50 minutes or so a new set of elders appears.  The bug appears to be part of the "rotation" event as they swap out for a new set; something does not go right, they all get an untrapped error, despawn, and incidentally lose count of how many marbles you turned in too (so you get to start allll over).

Catacombs of the Damned:
    Bug #7360   Status: Classified
    -------[Xenthos on 3/29/2013 @ 22:54 bugs]------
    I am in the room "Gravel covered passage".  I put an iron bar in the seal, turned the seal, and tried to pull the seal.  I get the following message: Small sparks of electricity leap around a circular seal as a magical hum emanates from the walls, preventing you from opening it. You get the sense that the structure of the Catacombs is yet too strong for the seal to be opened.  <-- However at this point, the ENTIRE CATACOMBS IS OPEN.  I have the down exit at Cavernous hub within the catacombs. open, and I have both the up and down at Abysmal stairwell through catacombs. open.  There's nothing else to release.  All the rods are in the blocks.
  • Just did a full run of Presidio, honours/ikon work fine, but Maurus doesn't show up after you complete it with the gold reward.

• Woo <3 Iosai.

Bottledowns evil side appears to be fixed, roll on the next Scourge of the Aetherways.
  • Kiakoda fixed, woo!
    Not a bug but an annoyance:
    You cannot have the honours for both sides of the Mirror Army quest.

I did both sides, and doing the second removed the first honours line.

This bugged me, because I see no reason why one shouldn't be able to be known for destroying both camps, if one is not really fond of certain projects.
  • edited June 2013
    The line between what ends up being replacement honors and additive ones is ambiguous at best.

This quest being replacement honors was known from the very event when they came out, so you could have found this out beforehand (if you didn't already know).
    edited June 2013
    I may not have been online during that event, because I found out about it shortly afterwards when I did both sides.

Then followed it up with an issue asking that they remove the second honours because I didn't want to be seen taking sides. :P  (They did do so.)
  • You issued yourself to have honors removed and they did it? That's pretty neat, of them and you.

OP edited for current progress. Iosai's already fixed a couple <3 We'll keep chipping away at the list.

I'm putting Rikenfriez back on. The lose condition isn't working properly.
  • What about the Sarye quest on the Water Plane? Think I only know of two people ever doing it and one of them had admin help if I recall correctly.
  • The Terae quest appears to work, it's just poorly designed to the point of being incompletable. Presumably the same applies to the Sarye one. 

Basically, both? sides are stuck at the point where you need to complete 3 minesweeper puzzles (5x5, 5 bombs - giving it a bomb density of one every five squares) with no free first move. You need to complete one on Earth, Ethereal and Prime - and if you fail the Prime one, you need to redo the Ethereal one, and if you fail the Ethereal one you need to redo the Earth one. If you fail the Earth one? You need to redo three hours of high-level hunting.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice

Soulforge:

The new variants of rocs from the Razine Peaks are not accepted by the denizen. Same goes for Oleanvir wakabis.

Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Akyaevin said:
    The Terae quest appears to work, it's just poorly designed to the point of being incompletable. Presumably the same applies to the Sarye one. 

Basically, both? sides are stuck at the point where you need to complete 3 minesweeper puzzles (5x5, 5 bombs - giving it a bomb density of one every five squares) with no free first move. You need to complete one on Earth, Ethereal and Prime - and if you fail the Prime one, you need to redo the Ethereal one, and if you fail the Ethereal one you need to redo the Earth one. If you fail the Earth one? You need to redo three hours of high-level hunting.
    I dunno, ask Kiradawea if she still remembers. It was part of an event and so needed to be done but the admins ended up having to help her I believe, think she got to what was supposed to be the end though.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    The water quest works, it's just retarded. It expects you to realize you're supposed to do certain things it doesn't at all hint at, and has several points where you can't tell if it's working or not. I've done all but the sweeper puzzle recently, because the stupid sweeper puzzle is insanely hard. The water version more so than the earth version, because it doesn't tell you anything and the hints on what bombs are nearby are opaque.
  • Sarye didn't work when we had to do it for an event way back. Because even with literal instructions from divine possessed mobs, nothing happened and in the end they just triggered the quest completed script. I haven't touched it since but I heard that they had fixed it. I've just no desire to attempt it again because... it's pretty terrible.

Actually, one thing that isn't a bug, but does not make sense from a lore perspective is Xion. Part of the Xion quest is to hunt the aethercritters around. The reasoning being that "all aethervermin must be hunted and brought to me for disposal" or something. However you need to bring in more vermin than exist in one spawn so you get the illogical result that during the second spawn all vermin are apparently gone even though you probably passed by a grodak trifecta on the way to the Master Crystal.

I've also had a few experiences with not enough elementals spawning, but that may have been fixed since.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Enyalida said:
    The water quest works, it's just retarded. It expects you to realize you're supposed to do certain things it doesn't at all hint at, and has several points where you can't tell if it's working or not. I've done all but the sweeper puzzle recently, because the stupid sweeper puzzle is insanely hard. The water version more so than the earth version, because it doesn't tell you anything and the hints on what bombs are nearby are opaque.
    Oh. Actually, now that you mentioned it I don't think you get instructions on what to do with the crystal, I just remembered them from back when the quest was released (and we had divine oversight).
  • Ixion released zombie groundhogs into the blasted lands and making them go away is buggy.

A tainted groundhog spirit that releases a horde of zombie groundhogs is crazy cool. Nobody can argue with that.  But the end result is annoying groundhogs all over the place. They don't hit hard but are aggressive and blind. So pretty much just annoying.

You know, because the blasted lands weren't annoying enough to get around as is.
    :-w

• Has anyone else gotten success with the rabbits/foxes since it was fixed? I can't seem to get breeding to work, dunno if I'm doing it wrong or what.