How do you RP with characters not from your character's organization?

ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
It's easy enough to RP with people from your organization, you see them practically whenever they're logged in, running about your city/commune... but how do you manage to RP with someone from another organization, especially if your characters have never had any previous contact or only brief contact without exchange of communication?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Best Answer

Answers

• KioKio
    edited June 2013
    Develop a mindset for your character.  Expand on his or her beliefs, acting on his or her prejudices.  Kio refers to Magnagorans as "them skeletons in the taint" and Serens as "them squirrels up north."  Not only does he refer to them like this around his allies, but openly calls them by these nicknames.  However, Kio's main driving force is his curiosity, so he makes sure to carefully tread through the conversation without offending someone, trying to open them up and get them to talk about something he wants to know about - maybe some personal philosophy of theirs or some tenet of their organization.

All the people not of the Glomdoring are tools.  Nothing more, nothing less.  However, if you use a tool incorrectly, it will break and no longer be able to perform its function.  Therefore, you must handle your tools carefully so as not to strain their delicate, specialized nature.  However, you must handle them firmly enough so that they perform their job to your satisfaction.

And those tools that do their job without much effort?  Well, they're not much fun to play with and just take up space, so they should be thrown out.

If you're looking for legitimate tips on RPing, I suggest you just act the same way you would around your Seren friends.  Your character can be as multifaceted as you want him or her to be.  Perhaps he or she is nothing but nice to Serens, but away from their company and in the presence of only others, is a total and complete jerk, thinking that none are good enough to grace his or her presence unless they bow before the will of Wilde.  Perhaps he or she is really just a nice person, and wants to help all the people he or she can.  Perhaps he or she is merely incredibly naive, and doesn't view anyone as a threat.

Really, when it comes down to it, you just need to have fun with it.  Just remember that it's just like real life - your character doesn't know that person, and vice versa.  Don't assume they know your character's personality or history, but instead try to weave some of it into your conversation.  Around people he doesn't know, I try to play up Kio's dumbness and curiosity because that's how I want them to see him.  For example, during Domoth fights, if there's a lull, I'll try to have Kio start asking lots of questions.  I'll go out of my way to make sure it is completely and totally evident that he has no social sense.  One of my favorite things to do is have him violate someone's space - especially if they're young.  Then again, I treat a lot of the young folks of the Glomdoring the exact same way.  It's just about how you want people to see your character.

I will say this, though.  In any and all RP interactions, if you build a dialogue in your head, never expect it to play out the way you've intended.  Some of the most fun things you'll run into will happen because the person you're talking to has thrown you a total curve ball and you have to stop and think about how to deal with it!
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Kio said:
    Develop a mindset for your character.  Expand on his or her beliefs, acting on his or her prejudices.  Kio refers to Magnagorans as "them skeletons in the taint" and Serens as "them squirrels up north."  Not only does he refer to them like this around his allies, but openly calls them by these nicknames.  However, Kio's main driving force is his curiosity, so he makes sure to carefully tread through the conversation without offending someone, trying to open them up and get them to talk about something he wants to know about - maybe some personal philosophy of theirs or some tenet of their organization.

All the people not of the Glomdoring are tools.  Nothing more, nothing less.  However, if you use a tool incorrectly, it will break and no longer be able to perform its function.  Therefore, you must handle your tools carefully so as not to strain their delicate, specialized nature.  However, you must handle them firmly enough so that they perform their job to your satisfaction.

And those tools that do their job without much effort?  Well, they're not much fun to play with and just take up space, so they should be thrown out.

If you're looking for legitimate tips on RPing, I suggest you just act the same way you would around your Seren friends.  Your character can be as multifaceted as you want him or her to be.  Perhaps he or she is nothing but nice to Serens, but away from their company and in the presence of only others, is a total and complete jerk, thinking that none are good enough to grace his or her presence unless they bow before the will of Wilde.  Perhaps he or she is really just a nice person, and wants to help all the people he or she can.  Perhaps he or she is merely incredibly naive, and doesn't view anyone as a threat.

Really, when it comes down to it, you just need to have fun with it.  Just remember that it's just like real life - your character doesn't know that person, and vice versa.  Don't assume they know your character's personality or history, but instead try to weave some of it into your conversation.  Around people he doesn't know, I try to play up Kio's dumbness and curiosity because that's how I want them to see him.  For example, during Domoth fights, if there's a lull, I'll try to have Kio start asking lots of questions.  I'll go out of my way to make sure it is completely and totally evident that he has no social sense.  One of my favorite things to do is have him violate someone's space - especially if they're young.  Then again, I treat a lot of the young folks of the Glomdoring the exact same way.  It's just about how you want people to see your character.

I will say this, though.  In any and all RP interactions, if you build a dialogue in your head, never expect it to play out the way you've intended.  Some of the most fun things you'll run into will happen because the person you're talking to has thrown you a total curve ball and you have to stop and think about how to deal with it!
    Your answer is amazing, but my likely poor phrasing led to you answering (amazingly) the wrong question. I meant more of, I've read some of the logs on the forum and have found some characters I REALLY REALLY REALLY want my character to bump into and talk with. At least once. Mostly because the characters are interesting due to their RPers (likely) being amazing.

How do I go and initiate RP with them, when they're from a different org? Like an enemy org? Not in terms of my character's mindset, but having them run into each other in the first place.
  • Step one: Find an excuse. Any excuse will do, really. Heck, I had Barrin send me tells because he saw me fingerblade. Perhaps you're curious about something regarding that org, or about how things work in that org, or whatever. Make stuff up!

Step two: Talk to them about it.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    If you're not enemied, don't be afraid to go visiting the other orgs. I haven't really done it in a while, but I used to like wandering over to other orgs and seeing who I could find to chat to randomly. Letters are also a good way to drum something up, make up an excuse to mail someone, see what happens.

• I had roleplay for a bit that was entirely focused around bringing people to the Glomdoring, and I heavily used the scry enchantment, and just saw where they were and accidently bumped into them if I had a specific target, or I would just start talking to them if I saw some random person around, I'd say hello or what not, and just follow them around until they started talking to me.

I would sometimes reply to their market ads and make sure to have more than just a gold exchange do them a favor as well, go with them to help with their trade. Sometimes I would just wait in the aetherplex until someone showed up who looked interesting and just said so, also I found actually looking at someone's description and reacting to it in some way, either giving them a thorough look over, or simply sending a tell or a letter with a gift helps as well.

If you send someone an in game letter saying Hey! You look interesting lets meet! You will probably find a puzzled character wondering why you are reaching out to them, but eh whatever you can do to meet some people. Also everyone likes letters.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I actually do not like letters.
  • Have a thick skin. There are some people who just won't talk to other people from an enemy org, even if they aren't actual enemies or combatants. Some people do this out of actual RP reasons (Lerad usually keeps silent in response to any overtures) while others just have enough RP from their own orgs. Not everyone looks for inter org RP. You'll be bound to hit some walls as you try, so the most important thing is not to get discouraged and try again with another person.