The Great Lusternian Cookbook

Comments

• I actually have made falafel before... I'm kind of addicted to it!

Thanks everyone, I'm going to take a long look through the websites and hopefully put together a vegetarian cookbook I can live with. :) 

(my partner's probably going to hate me...)
  • http://www.kitchentreaty.com/how-to-make-kale-chips/

This is basically what I made at the meet. Healthier than potato chips and really really yummy :)

And I haven't forgotten the promised rhubarb cake recipe...I just have to find mum's cookbook.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Mmm, chorizo.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • The one point I will raise about going vegetarian and dieting is that some vegetarian staples like beans are incredibly high in carbs, which insulin transports straight to your fat reserves. There is still a lot of misconception that it is fat which makes you fat, which is untrue unless you eat a lot of it. It's ridiculously easy to get well over 100g carbs in yourself a day, but eat the same weight in fat and you will probably feel sick because satiation kicks in. Plus, carbs and sugar will raise and lower your blood sugar, causing energy crashes. This can aggravate anxiety. If you must have sweets, use sweetener or something that contains fiber as that stops your body from absorbing carbs and sugars (fruit and veggies, for example).

That said, cooking your own food and watching what you eat is the single best way to diet. Processed food is laden with carbs, sugars, and a whole lot of other stuff which doesn't help. So by doing that alone you should notice a vast difference already. 
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Rialorm said:
     watching what you eat is the single best way to diet
    This is so true. On the surface it sounds vague and useless, but it really is true. I lost about 15 pounds by making just one change in my eating habits: before I put anything in my mouth, I asked myself 'Do I need this?' If the answer was no, I put it down. Essentially it resulted in cutting out unhealthy snacking and eating out of boredom, and over time it gets easier and easier to say no to bad food. Replacing the bad snacking with healthy alternatives can be a little more challenging. I'm not quite there yet!
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    edited June 2014
    I was about to say that working at a bakery must be hell, but then I remembered I still have an aversion to fried chicken after working eight hours a day for a few months in a grocery store deli almost ten years ago.
  • edited June 2014

Necro-ing this thread.
    I use this recipe as a base for my nacho dip.

CHEESE DIP

• 3 tablespoons butter
    • 3 tablespoons flour
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/8 teaspoon ground black or white pepper
    • 1 1/2 cups milk
    • 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar or smoky flavor Cheddar cheese
    Melt the butter in a pot, mix in the flour, and let it simmer for a little bit. I left mine sit on the over on simmer for about 20 minutes while I went to the grocery store cause we didn't have enough milk, and it turned out amazing.
    Anyway, at this point, mix in the milk, pepper, and salt, and after getting them good and mixed together, let it sit for a bit, stirring occasionally, until it thickens into gravy consistency.
    Add the cheese, stir well, and let it melt down. Viola, cheese sauce.

Now, if you want to make this into nacho dip, like I do....

Brown some ground beef, and make into taco meat. I just use taco seasoning, but you do it how you do it. After your taco meat is done, add this, plus red pepper, and what ever other garnish you want, to the cheese dip, mixing thoroughly.

This will be VERY thick, as it has the consistency of country gravy, and is incredibly filling. Hope you guys enjoy!

Edit: Formatting, darn you!

• I found this one online awhile ago and @Iosen seems to like it well enough.

Sriracha and garlic chicken wings

3 pounds chicken wings, whole or wings/drumettes in a pile.
    5 minced cloves of garlic
    1/3rd of a cup Sriracha sauce
    1/2 of a cup of ketchup
    1/4th of a cup soy sauce (I like the light one, but the dark would work)
    3 tablespoons of honey
    1 tablespoon oil

And then for you metric people:

1200 grams chicken wings, whole or wings/drumettes in a pile.
    5 gloves garlic, minced
    80 ML Sriracha sauce
    120 ML ketchup
    60 ML soy sauce
    45 ML honey
    15 ML oil

Dump it all together in a ziplock bag before you go to bed, grab it 30 minutes before dinner time the next day.  Take the chicken out of the sauce and lay it down on a baking tray. Cook for 30-40 minutes at 375F (190C) or until they have started to brown up a bit from the sugar. Take out of oven, nom. Nom so many.

This normally makes enough for three wing-loving people for me so double it if you need more! And remember to taste as you go along and change it until it suits you. I personally like more honey and sriracha in mine.

(I probably fucked up the metric. I'm so sorry ;-; I'm just so sorry)

• Pectus said:
    -Awesomelookingwingsaucerecipe-

1tbsp = 15ml
    1lb = ~0.5kg
    1 cup = 250ml

Just for reference. I'm totally making that this weekend, though.
  • Khydan said:
    Pectus said:
    -Awesomelookingwingsaucerecipe-

1tbsp = 15ml
    1lb = ~0.5kg
    1 cup = 250ml

Just for reference. I'm totally making that this weekend, though.
    I left it in the zip lock back for three days once! It tasted even better. Just make sure to cook it to the right temperature after doing that.

• I couldn't edit my first post D: But here's how the wings look! Sorry I can't size it down. I don't really know how..

• Aerdiya said:
    http://www.kitchentreaty.com/how-to-make-kale-chips/

This is basically what I made at the meet. Healthier than potato chips and really really yummy :)

And I haven't forgotten the promised rhubarb cake recipe...I just have to find mum's cookbook.
    Kale chips are so yummy, my wife made some (albeit with a bit too much salt) and I preferred them to the usual out-the-bag chips we usually have.

I've been experimenting with my cooking quite a bit recently since we bought a slow cooker. Did chicken breasts wrapped in bacon, cooked in my own sticky barbecue sauce with a touch of lemon juice, in the slow cooker for 8 hours. Delicioso!
  • edited June 2014
    Slow cookers are great. They really open up cooking options for the busy professional.
  • They really do! The other day I threw a gammon joint in with some Dr. Pepper (took me like 2 minutes?) and went off to work. It was AMAZING!
  • Sliced eggplant, pasta sauce, and cheese, all baked together. No specific measurements.

Amazing.
  • Aeral said:
    Sliced eggplant, pasta sauce, and cheese, all baked together. No specific measurements.

Amazing.
    If you use zucchini rather than eggplant, and slice that in the length you can make a nifty grainfree lasagna. Add meat or not depending on if you want it to be vegan. 

Also, I fix up my pizza cravings by adding cheese, ham, pepperoni, olives or whatever other toppings I want into a bowl. First make a base layer with tomato sauce, cheese goes on top of that and then I add the rest. If you don't mind grains or some carb, you can serve it on a tortilla. 
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • edited July 2014
    I use pita bread for it and make actual pizzas on it. Load it up with tomato sauce, spinach and some cheese along with whatever else is in the fridge veggies wise. Delicious!

And yeah I never thought about using eggplant or zucchini in place of pasta noodles - I think we're going to start doing that. We're slowly starting to go vegetarian. 

(my parents are now vegan and they're having a huge influence on us...)
  • http://www.ruled.me/keto-chocolate-cake-mug/

This is amaaaaaaaaaaazing. I was craving baked goods but I didn't want to do much effort, whipped this up in 5 minutes and found myself in food heaven. And it is totally good for you too.
  • Celestian Shrimpy Shrimpy Shrimpcakes!

Ingredients

1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp, finely chopped (I blended about.. a cup of them in a blender into a puree, so it kept the cakes moister. Do whatever you want! :D)
        2/4 cup mayonnaise
        1 cup bread crumbs (You might need some more. I did)
        1 cup panko or flavoured bread crumbs.
        1 large egg
        1 tablespoon old bay or other seafood seasoning
        1 tablespoon horseradish sauce
        kosher salt and black pepper

Mix all that together except for the panko, mold it into patties, cover the patties in the panko/flavoured bread crumbs, put them in the fridge for about 30 minutes until they are firm. Then you just fry them until golden brown in a mixture of butter and oil and consume!

I liked them with cocktail sauce, and sweet chili sauce.

Where's the omg flag?
    I used to make cakes.

• That's sugar?
    I can't believe I've wasted so much time and money on coffee equipment and preparation. This is so easy.
    I used to make cakes.

Sure you could pay 30 cents for a packet of onion dip mix, but life can be so much better with

Dar's Caramelized Onion Dip
    Difficulty: *
    Prep time: 30-40 minutes depending on how quickly you can dice onions, plus chilling

Ingredients
    3 medium yellow onions (just over one pound, or half a kilogram), diced
    1 Tablespoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    some water

1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon dried sage
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Preparation

Heat a tablespoon of sugar in a NON-STICK frying pan over medium-high heat until it's melted and just starts to brown. This can be a little tricky. Adding a little water to help dissolve all the sugar doesn't hurt. While the sugar is heating up, sprinkle the diced onions with baking soda and stir to distribute it all over. This apparently changes the pH of the onions, softens cell walls, and helps them caramelize more rapidly without burning. Once the sugar is melted and just starting to become golden, pour in the onions and stir. 

Add a little water (no more than a tablespoon) to help re-dissolve the caramel on the pan and distribute it among the onions. Heat for maybe twenty minutes, stirring occasionally. The onions will become very soft and release a lot of moisture, and at first they will have kind of a funky smell. It gets better, don't worry. This is not a caramelizing method I'd use if I want the onions to add some texture to a dish, but it's perfect for this application. Anyway, keep this up until the onions are deep golden brown, adding water as necessary to loosen up any bits stuck to the pan (remember it should be a good non-stick pan). The final product will be about 3/4 cup's worth of richly caramelized onions. Pop them in a small container and stick it in the freezer to bring the temperature down.

Once the onions are cool, combine them with all the other ingredients. Chill until ready to serve! Best with crackers or crostini.
    I used to make cakes.

• edited October 2014
    Arien's Easy (Cheese) Danishes

Ingredients:

*Roll-apart crescent dough (store-bought)
    *Cream cheese
    *1 cup of granulated white sugar
    *Vanilla extract
    *1 egg
    *Tablespoon of water

Filling:

I use just about any kind of fruit I can get my hands on with these, I've done pumpkin filling with a layer of cream cheese, or some apple pie filling. You can have fun with this one by altering just a bit and making your own chocolate croissants.

-Blend room temperature cream cheese, sugar and a dash of vanilla. Lick the kitchen aid spoons because everything tastes better after you stir it.

Dough: Separate crescent roll dough into squares on a baking sheet, I've noticed you can do about six to seven per dough canister. Make sure you spray the sheet with oil or butter it so you don't leave dough marks for a hard clean up later.

Egg wash: One whole egg, dash of water, whisk with a fork.

Directions for everything else:

Dollop a nice amount of your filling in the center of the squares, and fold the dough around it in whatever shape you like. You could do a big braid-type style. Or whatever you want. Just make sure the filling can stay in the center. Then, dab your egg-wash over the top to prevent overcooking. I like to sprinkle a bit of sugar over mine to caramelize the dough to make it prettier.

Pre-heat your oven for about 350, depending on how hot your oven bakes. It should take 10-13 minutes depending on the thickness of your filling, its temperature and so on.

Her storm-coloured eyes a muted blue, Lisaera, the Silver Goddess says, "Only sorrow can come from a rotting thought, My child, just like roots that have been drowned. You are a paragon of the wisdom I would see spread throughout the Serenwilde, but even the strongest minds must find release."
    -
    A shimmering liquid appears in your inventory smelling sweetly of something carbonated. It vanishes in a puff of silver smoke seconds later.
    -
    I write things
  • edited October 2014
    Pectus used PERISCOPES!  (Which are actually PIEROGIES, but firefox suggested I change it. So I did to be in the cool group)

This one comes in a few parts, since you get to pick what to fill them with. I chose potato, bacon and cheese.

Dough:
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    3 egg
    8 ounce container sour cream
    3 (Plus a little extra just in case. Weather effects this recipe) cups flour

Beat together the eggs and sour cream until it's smooth and doesn't have anymore sour cream lumps, and then add the flour and salt.  If you want you can sift the the flour to make it smoother and I think a bit lighter. Give it a quick stir and then add the baking powder. Stir until it's a mother flying douugh. Knead the dough like you're a cat on a breast on a floured surface until it's firm and smooth, much like a Kardashian bottom. Then just divide it in a half like a bad divorce, roll it out to about.. 1/8th of a inch in thickness, and cut into circles using whatever the firetruck you have that equals out to a 3 inch circle.

Potato insidey bits:
    Make mashed potatoes. About two cups should do. You can make them thick and creamy, or light and airy. It don't matter. You a supastahh.
    Salt and pepper the potatoes to taste, add in some cheese. Or don't, who cares! Add in some PRE-COOKED meat. Or you can be a pansy and not add meat. We'll still love you. Add in some delicious, heart-clogging butter. But don't Paula Dean it.. We aren't that Southern.  Now you can add whatever the heck to this filling. Some people do sauerkraut. Some do cheese and meat, some do veggies. Some fill them with sweet potato, some add onions, garlic and cream cheese. Who cares! So long as you have a mashed potato base for the filling, it can be a kitchen sink dish.

Making
    Now to make the freaking things. Take a spoonful of the filling (You had better have added meat, you flowerchild), and place it in the centre of one of the dough rounds. Try to keep it in the middle or it could leak like..Let's not make that joke, shall we? Dip your finger into a bit of water and run it along the edge of the dough circle, then just fold over, and press together with a fork to seal it like Disney's vault. Do this with the fifty bazillion of them you'll want to make.

Cooking
    Now here's the cool part. These things just don't give a damn. You can make them and freeze them for about 4 months. Or you can cook them right now! If you're cooking them now then just cook them like pasta (Pot of boiling water, bit of salt in the water, cook for 4ish minutes, remove from pot with manly fingers). Or if you prefer to wait and squirrel them away for the winter months.. Simply cook them a bit longer in the water. About 12 minutes should do it. 

Eating?
    I like to put a bit of sour cream and bacon bits on top, but you can do whatever. My grandma used to pan fry the pre-cooked ones, then make an onion cream sauce around them. But you can do whatever. These things literally don't care.

Please don't seriously use your fingers to take things from a boiling pot. Please. Use a tool you dirty human.

• edited October 2014
    Apparently some people know how to make vegan versions of pierogis, but I am just not getting involved with that D: You can try google if you are a vegan.

edited November 2014
    Carnivores. I give you chicken salad, which I just made tonight for the millionth time. I play fast and loose with my herbs and spices, so I've indicated where you can substitute or combine ingredients according to your preferences, and highlighted my own.

Chicken Salad
    Difficulty: *
    Prep time: 20 minutes
    Cool time: 1 hour at least

Ingredients
    4 c. boiled chicken, cooled, then shredded or cubed (two large breasts ought to do it - this is the part that takes the longest)
    2 T dried [oregano / basil / thyme]
    2 tsp dried [dill / cilantro / rosemary]
    1 tsp ground [curry / cumin / coriander]
    1 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp [smoked paprika / red pepper flakes / cayenne pepper (cuidado!)]
    1/2 tsp salt

1 c. [mayonnaise / sour cream] (here I would recommend a half cup of each, but I've done it with all homemade mayonnaise before and it's fine)
    2 tsp [lemon juice / lime juice (natural pairing with cilantro and coriander) / any variety of vinegar]
    2 tsp dijon mustard

1/3 c [raisins / currants / dried cherries] (any sweet dried fruit, really - we always have Craisins at my house so I just use those)
    1/3 c toasted [almonds / peanuts / pecans / pistachios] (I bet chopped cashews would be great too)

Preparation

Sprinkle the herbs and spices on the chicken and toss to coat. Whisk together the wet ingredients, pour over the herbed chicken, add dried fruit and nuts, and stir to combine everything. Chill well before serving.
    I used to make cakes.