September Meet - New York City

edited August 2013 in Meet and Greet
So Xarcon is coming to visit the area all the way from Japan, so i thought it'd be cool idea to plan a meet for people in or near the area. He'll be around Sept 20-27 so i think the 21st would be best. Anyone who might be interested, please post! I will try to drag Daevos and Kelly up here too :p

Comments

• KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    Oh wut. Yeah, sure.
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Popping in before class to say: I live here, so I'm in. September 21st is a Saturday, for those who don't have a calendar handy.
  • Damnit! I ordinarily go to school within 2 hours of there, but for the semester I'm going to be elsewhere. Sadface.
    (clan): Falmiis says, "Aramelise, verb, 1. adorn with many flowers."
  • What if I just wanna see New York city and this seems like a good opportunity >_> I wanna go! Get me some @Xarcon love.
    -----

Nilofer says, "Xena is here, riding Xena, the Xenaesque Xena. She is wielding Xena in both of her hands."
  • edited August 2013
    Errbody's welcome. I can help get cheap hotel rooms
  • 11 hour drive... hmmm... maybe.
  • I'll try. Getting a bus into the city from AC isn't too hard, just a matter of money at the time.
    Bookbinder by trade! Designer of most other things.

• I probably won't head up, but I'll be up there on the 28th for the No-Gi Pan. Anyone in the area is welcome to come out to see what a Brazilian Jiu-jitsu tournament is like.
  • edited August 2013
    @Kelly and i were chatting and we think that since some of you are thinking of coming to the city for the first time (lookin at yoooou @Xena) a bit of sightseeing may be in order. To that end the meet will extend to Sunday as well. Kelly will look into some cheap hotels while i plan awesome events and stuff to do. Looking foward to seeing you all next month!
    Oh man, how did I get the sucky job.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    You let Revan decide!
  • Psh you told me you would. Don't complain :p
    No, I said maybe I'd look at hotel prices in NJ for comparison, given the proposed alternatives. That didn't translate into me being responsible for it, and not relinquishing planning authority to you! :P

In any case, I would suggest picking a time/place for the official meet, for anyone who just wants to mingle. But I am probably up for extracurricular shenanigans, before Saturday, too.
  • Easy: times square (42nd and 7th) at 3pm on the 21st
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    I might just take a road trip down there.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

Revan said:
    @Kelly and i were chatting and we think that since some of you are thinking of coming to the city for the first time (lookin at yoooou @Xena) a bit of sightseeing may be in order. To that end the meet will extend to Sunday as well.
    Sounds like visiting Brooklyn/DUMBO and then walking across the Brooklyn Bridge to bring them to Chinatown.
  • Sounds like I am driving up for the meet. Yay? 
  • Lower east side by chitown is def in the plans, especially for the nighttime clubbing. I'm open for brooklyn too, though that's a long subway ride
    I live by Rockaway Blvd on the A line, so anywhere is a long subway ride. But if we start early in Brooklyn, we can make our way to Chinatown. Especially if any of them are as out of shape as I am and we're walking across the bridge, Gods know they'll need the time to get across.
  • Walking? Uh oh...
    Smells better than the trains, 90% of the time. Also, it's walking across a bridge. It's fun. And you won't even be the slowest, the asthmatic in the group will be. Also, I'd get to tell you guys (Or Revan could!) about the locks on the bridge.
    What's to do in Brooklyn? Manhattan has a ton.
    Pizza, mostly. Also, walk around. Counting hipsters. Shopping is cheapest in Brooklyn (and the Bronx, but that's a real pain to get to...)

I'm sure there's even more than that, but I'm only a semi-Brooklyn native of the southern end, so I'd have to poke at the other Brooklynites for stuff to do. Though, there is the promenade, which has a nice view!
  • It's probably logistically easier to stick to mid/downtown Manhattan, just for the sake of those who aren't familiar with the city. I'll me making an itinerary in the next coming weeks, just to have some structure. Ultimately we'll be winging it... but it's always nice to have a little plan to go by ;)
    We should karaoke. Karaoke makes everything more embarrassing fun.
  • That was actually in the plan. What a mindreader you are! http://www.karaokeduet.com/
    I used to go there all the time! Unfortunately, they're always booked now, and have cracked down on sneaking in food. Also hate the stairs climbing into that place. And if we don't get the jumbo room (group has to be, I think, 8 or larger) we'll be sadfish.
  • I'm actually impressed by the number of people interested in getting together. To be honest, I thought it would just be Mr. Revan and myself hanging out in the City.

Fair warning, I'm a 40 year old, overweight balding dude so I'm okay with anything that doesn't involve running away from police officers. Plus, I'll avoid any form of alcohol due to the fact that I tend to get naked while intoxicated.

Can't forget to mention that I'll be extremely jet-lagged on that day so some of you might have to carry me around.

Xarcon said:
    I'm actually impressed by the number of people interested in getting together. To be honest, I thought it would just be Mr. Revan and myself hanging out in the City.

Fair warning, I'm a 40 year old, overweight balding dude so I'm okay with anything that doesn't involve running away from police officers. Plus, I'll avoid any form of alcohol due to the fact that I tend to get naked while intoxicated.

Can't forget to mention that I'll be extremely jet-lagged on that day so some of you might have to carry me around.

> 40 year old

Younger than my dad, you're fine.

> Overweight

Join the club, we have twinkies!

> Running away from police officers

If we're not protesting or robbing a place, we'll be fine with that.

> I'll avoid any form of alcohol

Unintoxicated buddy! I, too, will not be touching the gift of the Gods!

> I'll be extremely jet-lagged on that day so some of you might have to carry me around.

Please, it's NYC. For certain areas, just lift up your feet, the crowd will carry you. Not necessarily to where you want to go, but they will.
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    You people suck planning a big New York thing after I've moved far far away.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.