Quest Griefing

ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
There are several quests that are ridiculously easy to break. That said, one would think that repeated griefing (Because dear Magnagora, farscouting repeatedly and stealing quest items from people six separate times in a day is easily griefing) should be considered against the rules. Just my opinion. Discuss.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.

Comments

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    On a more serious note... when is it considered griefing? Because so far it's been seven hours of attempts with a Magnagoran jumping in there at some point to try and break it, including stealing items, killing the archaeologists, stealing tablets, etc. One could say that by the second time it's rather obvious that it's being done with malicious intent and needs to stop. Because honestly, if there's no action to be taken there, well... it's rather ridiculous.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Trap them in a room with like.. five undead fishers. They can kill even the most hearty of demis
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    If you can't get Avengered by it on Prime, it's legal. 

Jerkish, but legal, like hitting and running loyal mobs.

Revan said:
    Trap them in a room with like.. five undead fishers. They can kill even the most hearty of demis
    I live through five fishers easy. That said, can't trap anyone unless you declare them... or they're idiots.

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Do quests offpeak
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    You mean like Serens screwing with the Gromagh quest over and over?
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Especially if they are conflict-type quests, or quests involving mobs that an organization protects, expect to be foiled at every opportunity. Orgs are picky about which quests are done, and they will be very interested in stopping you from completing them. No one has a right to complete any quest.

Now, if someone is doing something like stealing all the pills in Estelbar so you can't complete the quest, they're just being childish. Quests like that don't affect anyone and don't do any harm. The person is being a jerk, but there's still not anything you can really do about it.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
    Xenthos said:
    Don't assume it's just Serens. Honest to goodness I think I saw a mag killing Gromagh.
    Rivius said:
    Xenthos said:
    Don't assume it's just Serens. Honest to goodness I think I saw a mag killing Gromagh.
    It's pretty much always Serens (occasionally a Celestian) who does it when someone is trying to do the quest for the epic chain though (and specifically doing it because of that reason).

There's a difference between intentional quest griefing and just regular old hunting (the latter can be asked to do something else for a bit and will almost always happily do so).
    Maybe part of the problem too is that these mobs are a little too easy to kill? 
    Rivius said:
    Maybe part of the problem too is that these mobs are a little too easy to kill? 
    That could be part of it, but even then you could just paranoia them.  They get around this in some areas by making it enemy territory (but even that does not prevent the paranoia issue); the problem is that enemy territory is just not feasible everywhere.  It makes no real sense in Hifarae, for example... and it would make doing the epic absolutely impossible for either side.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Still think that for that quest specifically it'd be a lot less stupid if 8 sweetgrass could be harvested in an hour.

A general fix though would be that quest mobs remember how many x-requirement they've already had done, and not reset on death.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

Xenthos said:
    Rivius said:
    Xenthos said:
    It's pretty much always Serens (occasionally a Celestian) who does it when someone is trying to do the quest for the epic chain though (and specifically doing it because of that reason).

There's a difference between intentional quest griefing and just regular old hunting (the latter can be asked to do something else for a bit and will almost always happily do so).
    I tend to find it rather on the fishy side when random nihilist farscouts, then 10 seconds later is in the area and I'm suddenly missing quest items/quest npcs/whatever and it keeps happening on repeat basis during most of the day. Well, I tend to get annoyed when they're clearly going out of their way to grief me. I can certainly keep a much more amusing watch on when someone pops in project Eternity to try and quest by melding and keeping watch on. At which point they can forget about doing the quest if I'm online... and I tend to be online for hours at a time. One could say THAT is a bit childish, considering the quest doesn't hurt them directly. Never mind that I tend to avoid interfering with enemy quests unless it can't be helped.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    It sounds obvious someone is trying to stop you from doing whatever quest this is, but if it's a quest that can negatively impact their org, I'd say they have every rp-justifiable right to stop you.  :|

Basically what Everiine said.

Everiine said:
    Especially if they are conflict-type quests, or quests involving mobs that an organization protects, expect to be foiled at every opportunity. Orgs are picky about which quests are done, and they will be very interested in stopping you from completing them. No one has a right to complete any quest.

Now, if someone is doing something like stealing all the pills in Estelbar so you can't complete the quest, they're just being childish. Quests like that don't affect anyone and don't do any harm. The person is being a jerk, but there's still not anything you can really do about it.

I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Quest griefing happens, and it's not against the rules. The admin like and encourage quest griefing, in fact. Just look at some of the conflict quests available. The seren/glom epic isn't even the worst of it. The sea battle and the gaudi/halli ones are arguably worse. Then there's the undervault one. These quests are designed not just to be opposing each other, but for maximum frustration when one side gets disrupted, and there are tons of ways to disrupt these quests. Suck it up is the best advice anyone can give in this thread, because quest griefing isn't going away. It's a feature in this game.

• Quest griefing has been in existence since thegame came out... and it was arguably much much worse back then when the likes of Amaru, Narsrim, etc were around. What goes on nowadays is like a light fluffy confection, though i do not begrudge anyone their frustrations
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Furthermore, if you take offense to people interfering with quests, where do you draw the line?

Midbies killing Gromagh while hunting spawn?

Someone raising/dropping the Spire right after you've done the reverse?

Someone kills sandojins and offers them while you're trying to build the statue for the Hand?

I mean, there's a lot of grey areas in this, and what would you do about it? Are you suggesting in this conflict-based game that we put in place a system to complain about and issue people who are "getting in your way" or "keeping you from finishing your quest"?

I mean, this could get absurd. If I'm working on a bubble quest, and I've been in that bubble for two hours working on it, and a flare or domoth happens, or if someone comes up there to hunt, are we supposed to complain or get the admin to hold our hands?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Imagine trying to do the Snoefaasia quest and in the final stage get punted off the bubble because someone's doing a Domoth and your org can't even go up there?

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• wow, after that little outburst, I believe I will refrain from polite discussion on the forums in future.
  • I think I might have to roll an alt until tempers cool. 
  • "one would think that repeated griefing ... should be considered against the rules."

... Says the person who killed me twice without provocation, then told me I had to play by her rules (ooc more or less) if I didn't want to keep dying. Seriously? I'm not begrudging your right to play this game however you like, and you're extremely good at it, but at this stage I'm kinda thinking that another game might be more fun/fair.
    edited September 2013
    Don't ever let anyone bully you into quitting the game or stop doing what you enjoy doing. There's always a way to beat a bully.
  • Not in a fair fight IC, which is the only way I would care to settle it. I'm ok though. Just need to de-stress.
    Reyl said:
    @elanorwen I am loathe to even get into this because I hate whining on forums but... Didn't you kill me while I was doing the puzzle for the Tome of Remembrance quest, then take all the items and kill all the spectres to make sure I couldn't finish? I wasn't aware THAT was an intrinsic part of hallifax's RP....... People in grief houses shouldn't throw stones - personally I accepted the death/loss as an exciting part of questing in a full pvp game... If I wanted to solve puzzles in peace I'd play minesweeper lol. Can't we all just, you know, play the game? If hostilities with mag are bothering Elanorwen, sue for peace? Or declare war? Or get celest and seren to help with the quest, since it hurts undead and helps the untainted? So many more options than crying foul - especially when you're no innocent.
    Had no idea you were doing a quest in the first place. I kill the spectres just because I don't like Magnagora, has nothing to do with people questing. There are no hostilities with Mag, there are hostilities with the idiot known as Uruk. I tried talking with a member of your council regarding that idiocy and was told that there was no issue. Well, if that's the way you boys and girls want to play, I can certainly do it worse than you. I never had an enemy status with Magnagora and never interfered with anything related to Magnagora until someone decided to pee in my soup, figuratively speaking. And seeing how I'm being told left and right how it's legal, well... again, I can do it better than some idiot that ghost forms and runs at the first sign of trouble.

As to me telling you to play by my rules... how was that OOC in any way? All I said was... don't go anywhere with Uruk, and I won't care about what you're doing. Go kill kephera or hop up and down on observatory heads. Does nothing to me. I am not chasing you down, I'm chasing the jackass that keeps harassing me. He runs and leaves you alone with me... well, I'll kill you too... or you can go and not snuggle with people I have a personal vendetta against and not get hurt.

• ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Reyl said:
    Not in a fair fight IC, which is the only way I would care to settle it. I'm ok though. Just need to de-stress.
    Bubblewrap.
  • edited September 2013
    Understood

EDIT: Regarding my instructions, not the bubblewrap! But bubblewrap is cool too.