Quest Griefing

Comments

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Kio said:
    If you don't want enemies to make your life harder, don't make enemies. I've come to the realization that I can't get mad at people targeting me while hunting/questing/walking through an open PK area. My life got a lot better when I started telling myself these people have RP reasons to hate me, and they aren't just "out to get me."
    I don't go out of my way to make enemies. I got enemied to Glom for chasing Johan (a known kick-and-runner) from the Air gate and I hadn't even heard of Uruk when he started poking at my questing, taunting and running from me, let alone how I didn't have an enemy status with Mag and had never bothered even entering their planes until that point. (I did once, chasing Celesties away from Earth and ended up being yelled at for sleeping at the Megalith... talk about people not comprehending how dreamweaving works, never visited that plane since) So yeah, sorry, but your statements make no sense whatsoever.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Guess to ultimately answer the topic, I too disagree that quest griefing should be outlawed. It works this way to keep a nice level of realism and allow for some conflict and danger. It can definitely be frustrating, but one thing you have to remember is that someone can't stop you from finishing a quest forever. Just sit back, de-stress and try again when they're not around.
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Elanorwen said:
    Kio said:
    If you don't want enemies to make your life harder, don't make enemies. I've come to the realization that I can't get mad at people targeting me while hunting/questing/walking through an open PK area. My life got a lot better when I started telling myself these people have RP reasons to hate me, and they aren't just "out to get me."
    I don't go out of my way to make enemies. I got enemied to Glom for chasing Johan (a known kick-and-runner) from the Air gate and I hadn't even heard of Uruk when he started poking at my questing, taunting and running from me, let alone how I didn't have an enemy status with Mag and had never bothered even entering their planes until that point. (I did once, chasing Celesties away from Earth and ended up being yelled at for sleeping at the Megalith... talk about people not comprehending how dreamweaving works, never visited that plane since) So yeah, sorry, but your statements make no sense whatsoever.
    My personal experience, if you think you were unjustly enemied, talk to the heads of whatever organization. Even if you were unjustly enemied, they'll typically give you a way to get unenemied. Or you can just, you know, pout and go, "Oh no, I've been enemied, and now am being treated like an enemy after being enemied!" and have no resolution to the enemying problem.
    Zouviqil said:
    Elanorwen said:
    Kio said:
    My personal experience, if you think you were unjustly enemied, talk to the heads of whatever organization. Even if you were unjustly enemied, they'll typically give you a way to get unenemied. Or you can just, you know, pout and go, "Oh no, I've been enemied, and now am being treated like an enemy after being enemied!" and have no resolution to the enemying problem.
    I couldn't care less about enemy status. Just saying how "don't make enemies" doesn't work. If anyone feels like hunting me down over an enemy status, they can certainly try... griefing my quests, well... that's an entirely different matter altogether.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • "Don't make enemies" does not mean "don't get enemy statuses." You've done and said plenty enough for lots of people to hate you ICly.
  • "Allow me to do whatever I want or I'll kill whoever I can until they magically force their citymates to allow me to do whatever I want"
  • Morkarion said:
    Imagine trying to do the Snoefaasia quest and in the final stage get punted off the bubble because someone's doing a Domoth and your org can't even go up there?
    This one's actually not so bad, since the quest remembers what stage you're at longer than it takes them to finish the domoth, even if one of the party gets bored and kills all your mobs. I think Akyaevin has an alias to tell me to gtfo or die, so many times has he said it. The really nasty ones are the quests you can only do at certain times, like the Caoimhe/Wydyr one. You can completely ruin that quest near the end with a bit of well-timed paranoia.

The very fact that paranoia exists is kind of a clue that quest griefing isn't going anywhere. It's a skill we're all given that serves absolutely no other purpose but griefing quests. It's not even the only mechanic that serves that purpose. I suspect, for example, that's the original intent of storytelling, since for the longest time it didn't do anything but make influencing harder, for no reward and zero effort.

I'm pretty sure Lerad's hit the nail right on the head with this one. Frustration is a part of the Lusternian experience, and it's designed so it's ridiculously easy for people to screw with you. Raging about it isn't going to do you any good, and probably just advertises yourself to the griefy sort of player. They know it gets to you, so I wouldn't be surprised if you end up seeing more of it.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
    Kio said:
    "Don't make enemies" does not mean "don't get enemy statuses." You've done and said plenty enough for lots of people to hate you ICly.
    I rather doubt that. Unless the three Gloms my claims about Morkarion hurt (I.e. you, Morkarion and Iorwen) are lots. But even then... I hadn't even heard of Uruk for him to go about griefing my questing... and you've actually done worse with comments like "Your service to the Wyrd are appreciated" after someone raises the throne and you just sat there and waited for them to do the hard work. Or the run-by spitting on people that are just standing there, minding their own business.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I guess I don't understand what the issue is here.  If you have already this week been screwing with Magnagorans doing quests, as has been mentioned, and they are doing it right back to you... it seems like you have already "gone there".   Nobody's doing anything to you that you aren't doing back to them in turn.

Some quests need to be able to be interfered with.  Some are just people being jerky jerkfaces.  There's no mechanical way to determine which is which, and there isn't even a way for a human being to properly analyze and make consistent judgements on this (me screwing with the Zenobia quest might be valid whereas you screwing with the Zenobia quest might just be because you hate the person doing it and want to grief them).

Honestly?  To me, the best solution is to just play nicely in general.  If you don't mess with people they usually won't screw with you.  If someone does, then you can just return it to them specifically (leave orgs out of it, because orgs have nothing to do with it at all).

That's something I will confess to having done a few times, but almost always with specific RP intent and hoping for dialogue to come from it.  An example of that would be the log posted between Stefan and myself.  He messed with my quest, I messed with his in turn.  He asked about it, we had a nice IC "discussion" (more of a history lesson), and I stopped mucking about with him- we went our separate ways.  Doesn't work for everyone, of course, but on the whole it seems to go just fine.
    Xenthos said:
    I guess I don't understand what the issue is here.  If you have already this week been screwing with Magnagorans doing quests, as has been mentioned, and they are doing it right back to you... it seems like you have already "gone there".   Nobody's doing anything to you that you aren't doing back to them in turn.

Some quests need to be able to be interfered with.  Some are just people being jerky jerkfaces.  There's no mechanical way to determine which is which, and there isn't even a way for a human being to properly analyze and make consistent judgements on this (me screwing with the Zenobia quest might be valid whereas you screwing with the Zenobia quest might just be because you hate the person doing it and want to grief them).

Honestly?  To me, the best solution is to just play nicely in general.  If you don't mess with people they usually won't screw with you.  If someone does, then you can just return it to them specifically (leave orgs out of it, because orgs have nothing to do with it at all).

That's something I will confess to having done a few times, but almost always with specific RP intent and hoping for dialogue to come from it.  An example of that would be the log posted between Stefan and myself.  He messed with my quest, I messed with his in turn.  He asked about it, we had a nice IC "discussion" (more of a history lesson), and I stopped mucking about with him- we went our separate ways.  Doesn't work for everyone, of course, but on the whole it seems to go just fine.
    I'm working on a quest, someone I had never heard of walks in, steals quest items, runs off. I ask him to give them back, I end up being taunted and insulted. Okay, I go and raid Earth, I kill a defender, I leave, original guy tells me to come fight him over the items. I try to do that, I get mocked while he runs for 2 minutes every time I drop a TK combo. As mentioned in regards to the Magnagora questing, I had no idea anyone was questing or that there was a quest beyond the power one on spectre isle in the first place. If they had asked me... well, at the time, right after getting annoyed over some idiot... I probably would have told them to stuff it, but eh... might have apologized at a later time when my temper cooled. I tried talking with a Magnagoran CL that contacted me over the matter... I didn't ask them to speak with me... and all they did was tell me they considered the matter resolved after doing practically nothing about it. If that's not adding insult to injury, I don't know what is.

• edited September 2013
    If we're going to city leaders etc... what would the IC response of the Hallifaxian government be to a plea for arbitrage from a foreign non-enemy? I would really like to resolve this so I can get back to making progress rather than making back lost ground...

EDIT: Yes I know I could ASK IC, but at this stage I'm admittedly feeling really uncomfortable with the whole situation and kind of don't want to get insulted/yelled at/killed again, so I'm asking here, where we're (theoretically) all decent human beings.
    Reyl said:
    If we're going to city leaders etc... what would the IC response of the Hallifaxian government be to a plea for arbitrage from a foreign non-enemy? I would really like to resolve this so I can get back to making progress rather than making back lost ground...
    What are we arbitering again? I have no problem with you. I have a problem with the idiot you hang out with. He apologizes over his taunting, and leaves me alone in the future, I leave him alone (That is something I told both Nayl and Kaina when they contacted me, nothing's been done in that regard) Beyond that... go and do whatever you feel like doing, don't involve Uruk, don't get attacked, simple as that. I'm theoretically open to bashing with people that are not officially enemied to Hallifax (And aren't in Gaudi) too, but eh... I doubt you'll go and ask for that.

• It wouldn't make a great deal of IC sense :P I see your perspective, absolutely, but all I knew about anything before all of this happened was that a senior citymate was encouraging me to hunt more, and taking me out because he sees promise in Reyl... I respect that this isn't one sided from your perspective, but from mine it is. So human to human - I've been forced to avoid Uruk, because I totally believe you'll make good on your threat, but it kind of leaves me with a dirty feeling. He's all "Don't let her push you around, come make back what you lost", and I had to say "Sorry, but I think I'll hunt alone, I hope she doesn't kill me if I'm on prime"

In other words, you won. At what cost? I suppose "you don't care", as you've said, and yep, nothing I can say to that, haha.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    I'm not sure what's being argued now.

If you don't want to get screwed with, don't screw with people yourself. Be a jerky jerk and you'll get treated like one. Getting enemy status is quite easy and arbitrary, but it still comes down to your personal reputation even beyond that.

I personally have made my peace that if I ever tried anything painfully frustrating like a long ass quest or bashing for a long time, there is a possibility that I may get screwed with, but hey, that's okay. I know that I probably deserve it and it just stirs my misplaced burning fire of vengeance. Shit happens.
    Reyl said:
    It wouldn't make a great deal of IC sense :P I see your perspective, absolutely, but all I knew about anything before all of this happened was that a senior citymate was encouraging me to hunt more, and taking me out because he sees promise in Reyl... I respect that this isn't one sided from your perspective, but from mine it is. So human to human - I've been forced to avoid Uruk, because I totally believe you'll make good on your threat, but it kind of leaves me with a dirty feeling. He's all "Don't let her push you around, come make back what you lost", and I had to say "Sorry, but I think I'll hunt alone, I hope she doesn't kill me if I'm on prime"

In other words, you won. At what cost? I suppose "you don't care", as you've said, and yep, nothing I can say to that, haha.
    Well, that's the senior citymate's fault, really. He's been warned that I will attack him if I see him in enemy territory, and so will anyone he brings along for the ride. One would think something along the lines of... "Hey, just so you know, if you come with me, Elanorwen might drop in and attack you" is something to warn people about when you bring them to bash with you. And all I asked for originally was that people stop trying to annoy me on purpose and that someone who did so apologizes. I guess that's a bit too hard to do.

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Elanorwen said:
    I don't go out of my way to make enemies.
    Then you have a knack for it, between your general smack talk, sulking fits when you don't get your way, and general play-to-spite vindictiveness you've ended up with more people disliking you than you think (not that I'm entirely sure what you're referencing in your comments.)

Perhaps you should realise people don't subscribe to your brand of logic where it's perfectly fine for you to grief people who've never come into contact with you, but if people do the same back to you, you've all rights to throw your arms up in the air and cry foul. I believe the phrase "you reap what you sow" is key here.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

Shuyin said:
    I'm not sure what's being argued now.

If you don't want to get screwed with, don't screw with people yourself. Be a jerky jerk and you'll get treated like one. Getting enemy status is quite easy and arbitrary, but it still comes down to your personal reputation even beyond that.

I personally have made my peace that if I ever tried anything painfully frustrating like a long ass quest or bashing for a long time, there is a possibility that I may get screwed with, but hey, that's okay. I know that I probably deserve it and it just stirs my misplaced burning fire of vengeance. Shit happens.
    As mentioned, I tend to go out of my way to avoid messing with other people's quests, etc... I know how frustrating that can be after I had Daedalion messing with my Halliepic for a week... not that it did much of a difference. Xypher was working on the Gaudiepic, so I kept messing with that in turn... and the person who suffered the most was Xypher, no doubt, as I would have finished mine in 3 days and left everything alone at that point otherwise. (I left it alone afterward anyway) But I really can't stand it when someone has to go out of their way to taunt/insult me every time I try to do a quest and only because he can ghost form and get out from anything I do.

Morkarion said:
    Elanorwen said:
    Then you have a knack for it, between your general smack talk, sulking fits when you don't get your way, and general play-to-spite vindictiveness you've ended up with more people disliking you than you think (not that I'm entirely sure what you're referencing in your comments.)

Perhaps you should realise people don't subscribe to your brand of logic where it's perfectly fine for you to grief people who've never come into contact with you, but if people do the same back to you, you've all rights to throw your arms up in the air and cry foul. I believe the phrase "you reap what you sow" is key here.
    Never griefed anyone first. *shrug* Go tell it to someone else. I walk into Eternity, I scent, I see a Magnagoran at it, I leave. So no, darling, I don't reap what I sow... I tend to reap what someone else sowed...

• SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Ummm......... ... ... ...

The Spire is up constantly. Its farmed for Vernal curios. Removing it doesn't generate any curios. Removing it just gives someone else a chance to farm more.

Magnagora, an entire organization, has been griefed by that quest since that change has gone through.

Kthxbai.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    Heh. Not quite.
  • Well, maybe you ought to stop being undead, then! <_<
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
    Whats not quite? That the Spire is not always up? (It is, it shows up on diagnose?)

That its not farmed for Curios (It is?)

That for awhile there were Magnagoran groups to go remove the Spire, only to find out its up again as soon as it possibly can? (happened, a lot).

That Magnagora offered people credits for removing the Spire? (It didn't work, it still got put up to frequently).

Not quite my ass.

You are:
    * * * * * AFFLICTION VARIABLES RESET * * * * *
    cursed by the Spire of Dionamus.
    blind.
    You have 2 afflictions.

Always. Up.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    edited September 2013
    Relax. I'm just saying, it was actually being put up before curios came out. I know because I'm one of the people who's up there a lot ;). It's a fun quest and sometimes doing both sides and passing it onto someone else to do the last part is just a fun time killer. It's easy and just fun....
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Spire has been up pretty much permanently.  Whenever it goes down, Aerys (amongst others) puts it up again pretty much immediately, or so it happened months and months ago back when people actually bothered to take it down.

I don't think anyone's disabled it in the last few months though, there's no real point.  When you disable it, it stays active for quite a while.  By the time its effects fade, it can be put back up right away.  So all you're really doing by taking it down is giving someone the chance to get a curio piece, for no benefit for yourself at all.

(Prior to the curio change nobody farmed the quest to raise it, so it rarely stayed up for more than a few RL days)
  • KioKio
    edited September 2013
    Elanorwen said:
    Kio said:
    "Don't make enemies" does not mean "don't get enemy statuses." You've done and said plenty enough for lots of people to hate you ICly.
    I rather doubt that. Unless the three Gloms my claims about Morkarion hurt (I.e. you, Morkarion and Iorwen) are lots. But even then... I hadn't even heard of Uruk for him to go about griefing my questing... and you've actually done worse with comments like "Your service to the Wyrd are appreciated" after someone raises the throne and you just sat there and waited for them to do the hard work. Or the run-by spitting on people that are just standing there, minding their own business.

I can't even take you seriously anymore.  Did you just happen to ignore the part where I basically admitted to being a jerk and wholly expect people to be a jerk back?  Yea, I think you did.  But it's okay, we'll just make every part about this thread about everyone else because Elanorwen is perfect.

Here's what's up.  Let me spell it out for you.  You got in a tissy because you didn't get elected for VA after telling everyone you were planning to leave but you'd stay if you became VA.  Of course you're not going to get it.  You committed political suicide.  At that point, Glomdoring lost all faith in you.  It has nothing to do with the snide remarks that you threw out in the midst of Domothing or never being available to do anything that didn't serve your agenda.

So then you go to Hallifax and start hanging around with Synkarin.  Synkarin.  You know, that guy who everyone hated at the time because he was a bastard traitor who not only left Glomdorin but started attacking it.  There are personal RP strings that were pulled on when you two got engaged for numerous poeple, as well.

Not to mention you start joining in on the festivities on Faethorn.  Serens and Gloms are fighting?  We can expect Elanorwen to be there without a moment's notice, even if she has no clue who started it or what's happening.

Then you have the Astral corpse theft.  People die on Astral, it's like a race to see who can get the corpses they just dropped.  Elanorwen's always competing in that race.  But no, it's okay.  You've never gone out of your way to grief anyone.  After all, you do it to everyone, not just people you don't like.

How about enemying someone to Hallifax and the Aeromancers for defending their communemates?  One of those things was taken care of.  The other, however, was mentioned on an OOC clan, where you told them that if you got Aero champ, you'd set their fine for -two million gold-.  Come on, man.  Seriously.

And lastly, what the hell do you expect is going to happen when you badmouth everyone at every turn?  Every single time you die, you just can't phoenix.  It's like the syntax doesn't work for you until you tell everyone around you how crap they are and how you're so much better than them.  And let me tell you something, personally.  I don't really appreciate, on an OOC level, having to hear about how terrible I am at everything.  Because, after all, Shuck is the reason I became champion and envoy.

But, at the end of the day, writing this post doesn't even matter.  It doesn't matter what anyone says about anything, because you can't be wrong, ever.  So, excuse me while I sit back and watch this thread devolve into a large group of people refusing to jump on your pity party.

Edit: formatting because quoting doesn't want to work.

Edit two: Oh.  And before you start taking any of this personal (except the last part), everything I'm saying is about Elanorwen the character, not Elanorwen the person behind the character.
    edited September 2013
    Xenthos said:

(Prior to the curio change nobody farmed the quest to raise it, so it rarely stayed up for more than a few RL days)
    Aerys and I used to do it before the curio change pretty constantly. I know this because I know when she first received her curio she was like "what the heck is this?". We honestly do just enjoy the quest and the bashing area. Taking it down is also pretty darn simple.
    I'm glad we've come full circle to this.

Now we know who the real griefers are.

Lets get back to the regularly scheduled programming of bullshit.

On this next week, we will discuss why someone could possibly think Mugwumps needed upgrading before Viscanti did.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Elanorwen said:
    Morkarion said:
    Elanorwen said:

Never griefed anyone first. *shrug* Go tell it to someone else. I walk into Eternity, I scent, I see a Magnagoran at it, I leave. So no, darling, I don't reap what I sow... I tend to reap what someone else sowed...
    "I kill the spectres just because I don't like Magnagora, has nothing to do with people questing."

So, the fact you're actively going out your way to clear the island because you dislike the Org which limits the number of people who can do the power quest in the day, whether it be for the collegium, nexus blessings etc. isn't you griefing first.

The fact you killed someone on non enemy prime for being alongside someone else you had beef with, a situation they themselves had no idea about and no prior interaction with you to cause you grief, isn't you griefing first.

See, here's the issue with it all. You justify your actions in your mind, to be logical and fair and totally ok, but when someone else does the same thing to you, it's unfair and needs fixing. The fact your personal pride refuses to accept any wrongdoing on your behalf, leads you to creating a scenario of one rule for you, and another for everyone else. Taking a personal example here, not to complain but because it works so well, non enemy to Hallifax, never had a direct conflict with you or jumped you. Infact if anything your behaviour in Glomdoring over the whole VA nomination thing and throwing your toys out the pram and starting to insult people who had any public support probably gave me cause to start anything, but never did.

Anyway

One lagdeath on Astral and you're up stealing corpses, quick smack talk back and forth and the matter was done. No forum posts, no threatening Hallifax with raiding, no griefing other people in revenge. However fast forward a while later and you jump into a Domoth upgrade into a killbox room, designed because you're notorious for jumping into domoths and scent scouting and jumping straight back out again, you die and drop two manifestations, just before sands are due. This leads to complaining here, complaining in game, accusations of corpse theft and threats to raid daughters/aspects/tree chop.

So perhaps when you can quell your ego, and realise that you're as bad, if not worse at times than the stick you get back, people might like you a little more. Because the one thing that personally makes you dislikeable is your utter hypocrisy.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

Again, you guys are writing out all these paragraphs, when Rivius already admitted to doing a quest over and over for griefing purposes because its "fun and easy."

I get hated on for jumping random enemy while hunting, which takes up FAR LESS TIME to recover then it is to actually remove the Spire.

Yet I'm the griefer?

As Marcy answered along time ago, Magnagorans actively defending something that is related to their organization and the entire RP of one of their guilds is considered griefing.

Yet CONSTANTLY putting up the Spire is not? Removing the Spire takes upwards of an hour, because you have to wait on respawn times. You also need someone to help you do the path and tell you where to go at one stage.

Yet Magnagora is griefing for stopping someone from turning the Throne to the Light?

Stealing corpses on Astral is considered griefing. Yet making me take an hour or two out of my day to remove something that'll immediately get put back up, which actually hinders Undead, is not considered griefing?

I think a lot of you need to look inwards at your actions and figure out what the other person on the other side perceives, because you are probably being just as big of a dick.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    This is getting personal now, so suffice to say, this thread has run its course.

BUT TOO BAD I READ IT ALL ALREADY.