A Few Bits Of Feedback

It's been around a week since I started playing Lusternia again after a considerable amount of time, and things have changed! I started a fresh new Moondancer and began (re-)learning how to play. I had a lot of fun and I started making plans in Serenwilde.

Unfortunately, it became apparent that Serenwilde isn't the ideal place to start a character. There are a number of very helpful characters who showed me how to go about questing, influencing, and making rituals. The history and general roleplay around Serenwilde made be very interested in playing there. My experience within Serenwilde was pleasant, and I started to do things beyond the forest.

The first time I tried to influence fae, I was debated by Kio. I'm not quite sure how, but I managed to win that one. My momentary elation was quickly snuffed out as I was killed, which largely nullified any victory I had (and to my dismay I discovered that dying made me drop the fae I managed to influence). I understand that anywhere outside Prime was open to being killed by others, but I had hoped there would still be something substantial about the whole deal. I guess it was some consolation that Kio said a few words after killing me about having to win in the end at all costs.

Next was when Daedalion raided Ethereal Serenwilde. Here I saw that Serenwilde, unfortunately, was on the short end of the stick. Older players can fare pretty well in Serenwilde, since they can hold their own most of the time or at least survive long enough to escape. Newer players, though, have a much more difficult time: we have to get enough lessons to start combat (I was told I needed to reach Transcendent in all three guild skills at least), we also have to deal with people killing us and slowing down our progress (and we're really easy to kill, heh!) When Daedalion was raiding, no one even bothered to defend Ethereal Serenwilde because 'there was no point'; Serenwilde didn't have people to remove even one enemy, and I was told that enemy would just run anyway if we defended.

Most recently, I tried to hunt essence in Water and understand the different types of essence and the need to convert them before being able to use them for power. I was ambushed by Morkarion, though, and this time there wasn't even any interaction beyond being cut open and the essence being taken. It took me a few seconds to understand what happened; that's how fast everything happened.

At this point I decided to leave Serenwilde and asked to join Glomdoring, which I'm hoping will dissuade them from killing me while I work on getting levels and learning stuff.

A few points, though: I read back and saw a long thread about Lusternia's population. I think the general unfriendliness of a number of players contribute greatly to the retention of new players. I understand that 'dark orgs' have to retain a bit of 'evil attitude', but it's entirely possible to interact with enemies without being overly antagonistic. Even a short tidbit like, "I am killing you because ___." helps a lot. Also, the "win at all costs" attitude, I think, is dangerously being played like, "win at all costs, even if it means losing players for the game," because those players happen to want to play on an opposing organization.

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    There's a lot of things I could respond to this. All I'll say is that I hope you don't get too discouraged, and that you stick around. Lusternia has ups and downs, and yes, there are people who will kill you just because they can, or because their org is against your org.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Just remember that you don't have to be transcendent in all three guildskills before you can get into combat. Combat is just as much about defense and curing afflictions than it is about offense, and it's never too early (well, broadly speaking) to start learning about that part of it. In fact, defending your org is definitely a good place to start learning, since you'll conglutinate if you die within its borders, which greatly reduces XP loss.

But yes, there are definitely a lot of lessons needed to get any good in combat, unfortunately.
    I'm actually kind of dismayed @ @Kio. Maybe things have changed, but when I played as a Wiccan, we were always taught that our empowering/weakening fae to bring them to Moon/Night was never supposed to end in blood, out of respect for Maeve. I've never attacked someone who was trying to bring in fae, only tried to debate them out.

Has Wiccan rp changed so much?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • There was a time when Faethorn was, at least for the SD, neutral ground, and there would be no fighting there (unless we were attacked first). I'd love to see a return to those times (hint hint admins, possess Maeve :D), but I don't really expect it to happen again.
  • edited September 2013

Eodh said:

The first time I tried to influence fae, I was debated by Kio. I'm not quite sure how, but I managed to win that one.

Awesome.

Unfortunately, you're often better off sticking to the Prime Material Plane until you're bigger, better able to defend yourself, or run away. Most reasonable players won't kill novices that are alone on higher planes, but all it takes is running into the wrong person (or creature, even) and you're going to splat pretty quick, which can get discouraging. Luckily there's plenty to explore and do on Prime!

Also, no one in your organisation will look down on you if you choose not to defend against raids as a novice. They understand you're just cannon fodder at the moment - better to build yourself up in relative safety and get your revenge at a later date!
  • Shaddus said:
    I'm actually kind of dismayed @ @Kio. Maybe things have changed, but when I played as a Wiccan, we were always taught that our empowering/weakening fae to bring them to Moon/Night was never supposed to end in blood, out of respect for Maeve. I've never attacked someone who was trying to bring in fae, only tried to debate them out. Has Wiccan rp changed so much?
    In the past the Maeve reminded us constantly that she didn't want bloodshed in her borders. The SD had rules against taking fae that didn't want to be taken to Night, and did so out of respect/manipulation to influence the Maeve. This was taken away due to a referendum of the SD as a whole a couple real life years ago, it made me sad but gave me some interesting role play for a while until everyone forgot about it. On the reverse I always remember having to protect the SD who were influencing fae because Serenwilde was more aggressive at that time, so I'm not sure if the Moondancers or Serenwilde had a policy against aggression in Faethorn outside of Maeve telling us to break it up a few times.

As for Kio I believe he actually posted on the forums feeling bad about it on an IC and OOC level, and tried to salvage the situation where he killed a novice as best he could.

Eodh:

I'm sorry you've had the interactions that you've had and as everyone else is saying some won't do that to novices, but it's hit and miss. Though when these things come up as a novice you can send your feedback to the leaders of those people and see what kind of response you get, or go to your leaders to ask on your behalf and create some sort of interaction with it. It's always interesting to deal with those sorts of situations, and opens up interactions with an entire side of the basin you normally don't interact with.

Combat is very complicated. The best thing you can do to help in these sorts of situations is work on yourself before working on helping out in conflict quests without assistance. Lusternia is built around conflict and creating conflict in many ways which was toned down dramatically. The best thing that I can say is that it's not very complicated to get to a base level to survive, the biggest thing is to get yourself to a respectable level (75+) and have some sort of reflexive curing system, Medic! is free on the forums and I'm really not sure how it works to tell you the truth, but it's there. Vadi's M&M is the other option which is I believe 80 credits and is what a lot of people use.

As a lowbie your first priority is to survive and basically nature vines people, if you start being focused, run away for a little bit and come back. The running away part is a lot easier after you have a curing system. Being tritrans, with fabled in discipline, and high resilience and magic go a long way to being good in single combat but isn't necessary in groups. The most important thing is to have someone who is leading well, if the mindset in Seren is to let their stuff get killed so that a raider goes away because they can't kill them anyways that's sad news to me because it means they consistently don't have someone confident enough to lead and that attitude and filtered down in to the general populace.
    edited September 2013
    A lot of the issue of "let them raid, they can't do any lasting harm" is that most defenders know that 75% of the time, the raiders could care less about the aspects/elementals, it's about drawing out someone the raiders can kill.

Seren knows that Daedalion (for instance) can't do any lasting harm; he can't kill an avatar on his own. He can kill ladies (easily replaced), and he can possibly kill an aspect (they respawn), so why bother defending against him or dropping distort/shrines if he's just going to run?

The only other reason is some misplaced notion of honour and duty, and (no offense, Eodh) that gets nubs killed. Not just killed, but the helplessness of "I can't do anything, this guy running rampant all over our plane and I'm not able to stop it" really cuts into morale. Thus, why defend?
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I remember being able to meet with and talk with Glomdoring people on Faethorn without fear of being killed. The conflict between the two forests, unfortunately, has degenerated into "KILL ON SIGHT AJIOE;LIEONIODW" on both sides. Most conflict in Lusternia is down to this level.

Maeve is no longer taken seriously either, because while she is viewed as the ruler of Faethorn, she's viewed as the most inept, incompetent, useless ruler around. Neither side takes her edicts seriously because she can't enforce them and she never seems to make good decisions. So it doesn't matter if she says, "No killing in my realm!" The stronger side will always do it.

I'm hoping the combat overhaul will help cut down the disparity between the top levels and everyone else. So that we don't have situations where Demigod X enters, and the 5 level 85s, 4 level 60s, and 3 newbies can barely touch them (exaggeration... mostly).
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • While I'm glad for more people in Glomdoring, it also saddens me a bit that you moved due to what happened, although I assume you are smart enough to get that you will now likely be killed by the people who first helped you get your bearings. While in character it could be considered a victory, out of character it does feel wrong. Unless in the end you are happy that you joined Glom, and feel you fit in better. But personally, if you really liked Seren, I'd rather see you there. Because it just isn't fun, on an OOC level, if everyone just wants to be in your org because it is the subjectively best org.

That said, you were killed legitimately, and with respect to roleplay. It doesn't have to do much with evil / dark org, because good / light orgs (for as much as both terms really apply to Lusternia, but using them for the sake of comparison here) may just as well be inclined to root out the other side under the banner of righteous justice. It's up to people personally to decide if IC and OOC they want to kill novices or not. I personally lean towards a certain OOC kindness to novices when justifiable IC (see them as a harmless threat from an org that is weak to begin with for example) but that isn't for everyone.

My personal opinion on player retention lies with the complications of the combat system, coupled with the niche that is text games. I've played another game that has a very harsh pvp system, yet people love it for being so. That game has made things more user-friendly without taking away from the experience and it has played out very well in its advantage. This makes me confident that Lusternia can flourish by doing the same. Time will tell, and I hope you will stick around to see that time, you have a great attitude all things considered and these are the kind of people we need. So stick around and be the change you wish to see is what I'd say :) But don't feel too bad if you end up not enjoying yourself, it's just the way it goes at times. I'm a returning player myself and I can say that taking a good long break when I wasn't having fun anymore was the best thing I did.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • Shaddus said:

I'm actually kind of dismayed @ @Kio. Maybe things have changed, but when I played as a Wiccan, we were always taught that our empowering/weakening fae to bring them to Moon/Night was never supposed to end in blood, out of respect for Maeve. I've never attacked someone who was trying to bring in fae, only tried to debate them out.

Has Wiccan rp changed so much?

Things have changed. Go probe the Maeve. Go see what Serenwilde let happen to her. Then you'll understand Kio's disdain of everything Seren. They don't deserve to even step foot into Faethorn.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited September 2013
    True but same disdain should realistically have you throwing Mags out of faethorn any time you see them since the mark is theirs. 

My point there is that RP is very...mutable...squishable...mouldable...? You can make pancakes or you can make dumplings. Nevermind.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Rialorm said:
    That said, you were killed legitimately, and with respect to roleplay. It doesn't have to do much with evil / dark org, because good / light orgs (for as much as both terms really apply to Lusternia, but using them for the sake of comparison here) may just as well be inclined to root out the other side under the banner of righteous justice. It's up to people personally to decide if IC and OOC they want to kill novices or not. I personally lean towards a certain OOC kindness to novices when justifiable IC (see them as a harmless threat from an org that is weak to begin with for example) but that isn't for everyone.
    Bull. A case of... "Oh my god, I see a Seren influencing fae, I'm gonna debate him and stop him" ending up with... "Oh noes, I lost the debate, let's just squish it instead!" That's not RP, that's someone losing a fair debate and proceeding to step on someone. Morkarion killing him on Water? Again, not RP... just someone being a bully. I tend to ask people to leave Air if they're not generally friendly... sometimes I conveniently 'forget' to ask them to give the essence they took as well... and it's MY plane. A Glom on Water has no basis to be there, let alone kill people, just someone being a bully.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Rialorm said:
    While I'm glad for more people in Glomdoring, it also saddens me a bit that you moved due to what happened, although I assume you are smart enough to get that you will now likely be killed by the people who first helped you get your bearings. While in character it could be considered a victory, out of character it does feel wrong. Unless in the end you are happy that you joined Glom, and feel you fit in better. But personally, if you really liked Seren, I'd rather see you there. Because it just isn't fun, on an OOC level, if everyone just wants to be in your org because it is the subjectively best org.

I haven't joined Glomdoring yet, so I can't speak for how I fit in there right now. You're right in saying it's not fun if everyone just bandwagons into an organization, but it's also not fun to be in a 'down' organization especially if you're just starting to get the hang of things. Like I said, though, for more established characters, this might not be too much of a problem.

Yes, I understand the conflict between Glomdoring and Serenwilde. I just hoped there would have been more of the RP rather than just the PK in the conflict. I wouldn't have minded as much if there was any other interaction outside of 'kill this person'; but alas that's just how things went.

My personal opinion on player retention lies with the complications of the combat system, coupled with the niche that is text games. I've played another game that has a very harsh pvp system, yet people love it for being so. That game has made things more user-friendly without taking away from the experience and it has played out very well in its advantage. This makes me confident that Lusternia can flourish by doing the same. Time will tell, and I hope you will stick around to see that time, you have a great attitude all things considered and these are the kind of people we need. So stick around and be the change you wish to see is what I'd say :) But don't feel too bad if you end up not enjoying yourself, it's just the way it goes at times. I'm a returning player myself and I can say that taking a good long break when I wasn't having fun anymore was the best thing I did.

I'm definitely sticking around for a bit. Wiccans seem very fun both on the roleplay and the technical field. Right now I'm looking over the three third skills I can take (Astrology, Hexes, and Healing) and I can't decide since they all seem so cool. :D
    Quoting in these forums sure is tricky. Didn't like it in Aetolia, don't like it now :(

• Kio said:
    Things have changed. Go probe the Maeve. Go see what Serenwilde let happen to her. Then you'll understand Kio's disdain of everything Seren. They don't deserve to even step foot into Faethorn.
    I'm not sure what happened in the past aside from the written histories in the website. Care to nudge me in the right direction? Lusternia's story is wonderful, and I would to read more on it.

• KioKio
    edited September 2013
    Go probe the Maeve, then ask someone ICly about what you see.  This is a great chance to get involved RPly.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Elanorwen said:
    Rialorm said:
    Bull. A case of... "Oh my god, I see a Seren influencing fae, I'm gonna debate him and stop him" ending up with... "Oh noes, I lost the debate, let's just squish it instead!" That's not RP, that's someone losing a fair debate and proceeding to step on someone. Morkarion killing him on Water? Again, not RP... just someone being a bully. I tend to ask people to leave Air if they're not generally friendly... sometimes I conveniently 'forget' to ask them to give the essence they took as well... and it's MY plane. A Glom on Water has no basis to be there, let alone kill people, just someone being a bully.
    Or the Glom was there to get essence, sees a Seren, kills the Seren for the essence, y'know the same way you get Celestines and Magnagorans on Elemental planes they don't control, or Gaudis and Hallis. Organisations at war killing each other over resources, yeah totally not RP.

The chip on your shoulder is showing Elanorwen.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Kio said:
    I'm actually kind of dismayed @ @Kio. Maybe things have changed, but when I played as a Wiccan, we were always taught that our empowering/weakening fae to bring them to Moon/Night was never supposed to end in blood, out of respect for Maeve. I've never attacked someone who was trying to bring in fae, only tried to debate them out. Has Wiccan rp changed so much?
    I'll have to do this, because if it's what I think it is (and I may be wrong), Glomdoring was just as guilty of it--I know, because I was the cause. But it may not be the event I'm thinking of--I'll have to check myself.

Regardless, it's great that Glomdoring has the propaganda that Serenwilde is responsible for every bad thing that's ever happened to the fae. And it's good RP that Glomdoring forgets its actions have done a lot of damage to the fae. But don't get your OOC and IC feelings mixed up.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Everiine said:
    Kio said:
    I'll have to do this, because if it's what I think it is (and I may be wrong), Glomdoring was just as guilty of it--I know, because I was the cause. But it may not be the event I'm thinking of--I'll have to check myself.

Regardless, it's great that Glomdoring has the propaganda that Serenwilde is responsible for every bad thing that's ever happened to the fae. And it's good RP that Glomdoring forgets its actions have done a lot of damage to the fae. But don't get your OOC and IC feelings mixed up.
    False memory for the win.
  • Everiine said:
    Kio said:

False Memory, bro.
    Morkarion said:
    Elanorwen said:
    Rialorm said:
    Or the Glom was there to get essence, sees a Seren, kills the Seren for the essence, y'know the same way you get Celestines and Magnagorans on Elemental planes they don't control, or Gaudis and Hallis. Organisations at war killing each other over resources, yeah totally not RP.

The chip on your shoulder is showing Elanorwen.
    I could've killed Carmela on water yesterday too... could've killed her on Faethorn several times, even. Yes, it's all about the chip on my shoulder, but all I did was ask her to leave Water and then stopped caring after as it's not my territory and if they left peacefully, then there's no trouble involved. That said, the only people I attack on sight on Air are known troublemakers. Most others get told to vacate the premises, but I'm just the evil person again, aren't I?

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Everiine said:
    Kio said:

From Glomdoring's point of view: We were consistently doing the Hai'Gloh every time we could, even though Serenwilde's help became less and less frequent.  Finally Seren decided not to participate at all (not even providing the nut, ensuring that Maeve and Faethorn could not be protected).

(Un)Surprisingly, shortly thereafter, Maeve was tainted, branded & turned into Dame Maeve.

This one's pretty simple from a propaganda standpoint at least. :p  Others get much more complex, as you say.
  • But... Glomdoring is working with Magnagora? It's like hating the accomplice more than the actual perpetrator, it seems like. :D

In any case, as I've said before, the conflict makes it difficult for newer players, hence it's recommended they start in organizations in better shape. That's fine. The real pain is when the conflict is really all about PK-ing the other side and the RP just gets tacked on in the end.

Case in point: this thing about Serenwilde, and Magnagora, and Glomdoring. By what I'm gathering, Glomdoring should be just as mad at Magnagora as it is with Serenwilde, but somehow it isn't...

Eodh said:
    But... Glomdoring is working with Magnagora? It's like hating the accomplice more than the actual perpetrator, it seems like. :D

In any case, as I've said before, the conflict makes it difficult for newer players, hence it's recommended they start in organizations in better shape. That's fine. The real pain is when the conflict is really all about PK-ing the other side and the RP just gets tacked on in the end.

Case in point: this thing about Serenwilde, and Magnagora, and Glomdoring. By what I'm gathering, Glomdoring should be just as mad at Magnagora as it is with Serenwilde, but somehow it isn't...
    Serenwilde wasn't the actual perpetrator, Magnagora was. *shrug*

• Yes, and Glomdoring seems to hate Serenwilde (accomplice) more than Magnagora (perpetrator).

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    edited September 2013
    For some reason something else got quoted here, no idea how or why. Have a Kirby (>'')>
    Eodh said:
    But... Glomdoring is working with Magnagora? It's like hating the accomplice more than the actual perpetrator, it seems like. :D

It's certainly not the bed of roses between the two you're painting. They work together out of benefit, if Magnagoran assistance wasn't benefitting the Wyrd, they wouldn't be co-existing. As it stands there's no alliance or even treaty beyond "Let's focus on other enemies than fight each other.. for now." Glomdoring pointedly and consistently puts pressure on Magnagora regarding Maeve and the branding, denies them territorial access (enjoyed by Gaudiguch) and is under no obligation to assist Magnagora.

They more tend to do it because it spites Serenwilde and their allies.

The anger towards Serenwilde is because when it boils down to it, Magnagora did what Magnagora was expected to do. Serenwilde's actions betrayed Maeve and the Fae, it was a backstab and one they never saw to rectify. There's usually a stronger sense of anger and rage when someone knifes you in the back, than the guy who comes at you head on with sword in hand.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Also just a general helping of "Serenwilde versus Glomdoring, grrrrr". that's baked in.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Yeah, kinda like how Mag and Celest will always have some friction and Gaudi and Halli.
  • Pretty much just like Mork said.  We [we being many of Glomdoring] do hate Magnagora, just for being Magnagora.  They're just being useful, so we don't act on our murderous feels.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Partially because people in those orgs (understandably/reasonably) get the feeling it's just something they're supposed to do, and will fill in reasons from there. Every org has almost equal reason to hate every other org, by now.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    I love everyone, except those who break my heart, like Viynain, Shuyin, Synkarin, Xenthos, Akyaevin, Anita, and Ixion.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"