ur'Traps!!

edited September 2013 in Common Grounds
Let me know what you think!  (See HELP UR'TRAPS.)

BTW, it really isn't as complicated as it may sound!

Comments

• My only regret is that I have but one like to give
  • I read this and immediately said "I need to get one."
  • They cost too much for the rewards given. If the very best thing I can get is a wheel coin? It's not worth my 200+ dingbats for a fully upgraded trap.

But I love the idea!

"But paradise is locked and bolted...

We must make a journey around the world

to see if a back door has perhaps been left open."

-Heinrich Von Kleist, "On the Puppet Theater"

• Question: Do similar cookie bonuses stack with each other - both the percent bonus and time it lasts?
  • The time stacks but not the bonus, i.e., if you eat 4 small cookies (15 min each), you'll have a 10% bonus for 60 minutes.
  • BTW, feel free to make suggestions on more rewards! We can definitely add more traps if they're popular!
  • Daedalion said:

They cost too much for the rewards given. If the very best thing I can get is a wheel coin? It's not worth my 200+ dingbats for a fully upgraded trap.

But I love the idea!

Except it's a chance at a coin every single day, for all the days to come, and coins still give out really nice stuff (rarely). So it's indirectly way better than that. Possibly not worth 200 dingbats, but definitely worth 15.

I just want experience cookies, though. :D

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • If you purchase a level 4 contract (50 dingbats total), your trap will trigger every 5 hours so there'd be multiple chances per day.
  • Estarra said:
    BTW, feel free to make suggestions on more rewards! We can definitely add more traps if they're popular!
    A Karma Cookie.
    Tiny bunches of commodities. Like, 10-20. Possibly several traps like this, one for metal, one for food and so forth.
    A different style of physical/mystical/ghost traps, for people who have RP issues hiring viscanti/dracnari/faelings?
    Fireworks traps. Gives you an item that works like glamours fireworks. Except without the damage.

Other ideas:
    -Traps that let you influence the things you catch!
    -A room message for having a trap somewhere. Or even something you can examine.

• When I read the part about being able to kill stuff in other people's traps my pessimism kicked in... Please can we do something to mitigate the possibility of this getting gamed by a few individuals to the detriment of more casual players in the same way as curio quests ;-;

Obviously only the trap setter knows exactly when the trap will fire or w/e but when I get one I'm going to be hiding it reeeeally well.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Manse traps!
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited September 2013
    OMG

I Love them! I Love them! I love them!

This is so going to be my new hobby.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

annnnnnd compose. ^^

• Reyl said:

When I read the part about being able to kill stuff in other people's traps my pessimism kicked in... Please can we do something to mitigate the possibility

I read it as only the trap setter can release the creature but if you bring a friend to help you kill it then the friend might get the coin.
  • Oh you might be right. I hope so!

(I'm so going to be the first idiot to die to their own trapped creature)
  • Iytha said:

A different style of physical/mystical/ghost traps, for people who have RP issues hiring viscanti/dracnari/faelings?

Wouldn't a nice, neutral human do?
  • edited September 2013
    Nvm I'm an idiot. Sorry for the junk post!
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Why does both the post and the help file say to buy things from Korue, when ASK KORUE WARES does nothing and it appears to all be done through the URTRAP command?
    edited September 2013
    Is there any reason to the environmental restriction as well?  I mean, will you get different things from desert vs. valley?  Because at the moment it sounds like it's best to just do 4 of the same thing and have them all together.

And why the heck are there urban traps, but no forest traps?  You'd think forest traps would make the most sense.  :(
  • Xenthos said:
    Why does both the post and the help file say to buy things from Korue, when ASK KORUE WARES does nothing and it appears to all be done through the URTRAP command?
    Because URTRAP PURCHASE/UPGRADE LIST only works in front of Korue? It's a different syntax, but you're still buying them from her.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    When I first read this, I thought it was to actually trap real creatures that one had a need for. Then I got to the end and realized it was all another big gimmick to give people more buffs and bonuses.

Cool initial idea, but ended up a disappointment. Just another thing to farm for advantages.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
    Piffle. They look fun. I just want forest traps so I don't waste my dingbats on a grubby old valley.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    My only question is, can you relocate ur'Traps?

I mean if I bought four now to get a certain cookie (can they be traded btw?) and in the future we get a super awesome new trap. Would I be able to disassemble mine and relocate?

Also, COOKIES :D

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• edited September 2013
    It doesn't seem that way. You can move your valley trap to another valley, but if you want a desert cookie you have to buy a different, desert trap. And I think I remember Korue saying during the initial parts that the traps can't be traded in.

Idea - Astral trap! Cookies speed up insanity recovery for a bit.

Yeah it's in the help file that they can't be traded in.

I just hope relocation doesn't require something daft like pliers when future types are released.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• A couple things that are either not clear or in the help file. So far there is a single type for each terrain (ie physical creatures in deserts). Also upgrades applied do not effect a trap that has already been activated (ie upgrading my contract did not shorten the time on the trap that had already been activated).
    One thing that isn't really explained is power, as in why it's there, what it does, the benefits of having more power and what happens if/when you run out of it.

• I must say I'm a bit disappointed... This could've been an awesome gold sink ("So, I hear you want to catch a large creature... Well, give me 250.000 gold, and I will make sure to acquire it"), but alas, no.
    Also because this matters.

Orclach NPC...

:x

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    How long do cookies last once acquired, and can you share your cookies?
    They don't seem to have a decay timer.