ur'Traps!!

Comments

• <3 for Orclach NPC, unsure how this is an artifact of Urlach or related to Urlach or Undeath in some form but...I guess we have to keep making the ur'joke, like the oil of ur'lae, so I guess I can't grudge you guys that =P
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    So can only one person trap a room. Then it's claimed by them forever?

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • I have to agree with @Xenthos about not being able to in forests. Definitely valley traps should be usable in forests.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    edited September 2013
    No idea about that, personally I hope not.

By the looks of things traps might (don't quote me on this) be relocatable after you've used them, as you have to set trap to activate it.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• edited September 2013
    Anything "ur" that isn't directly RP related to the Ur'Guard/undeath continually disgruntles me, further exacerbated by a lack of exclusivity. I guess that's a battle that was lost long ago now..

Ur'stone (at least this makes -some- sense, would have been more fitting to bring dead undeads back to undeathy deadness, but alas..)
    Ur'lae as a joke of oil of olay.. (this quest at least is tethered to undeath, yay for that much)
    and now Ur'traps..

It seems a bit extraneous in the design, but being able to trap and the idea of it is particularly nifty. #ghostbuster?

• I always parsed the oil as early. I guess olay works too. From an IC perspective, though, you can blame that one on branding.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Seems a bit complicated, but cool. On the other hand, more xp, gold, and esteem bonuses for those who can shell out widens existing gaps more...
    edited September 2013
    @Ixion The undead contract actually is "a viscanti ghostbuster" Though I do agree, I would like some explanation as to how this is related to Urlach or undeath, the fact the NPC is an Orclach (again did I mention :x for that?) gives it some room for expansion here.

If it weren't for the fact you can let other people get the kills for coins, and trade cookies. I'd say this is a case of "rich get richer." But with the limit of four traps, the powercreep is so minimal, and negated by the fact not everyone is a selfish sod, this isn't going to be a divide of haves and have nots.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• So after some thinking and getting over my initial excitement, I just have a few suggestions.

- I think the ur'traps shouldnt be timed to catch something after a game month (I know upgrades can reduce time, but still the same concept), it just doesnt feel very realistic. I think they should just have a constant random chance of catching something and whenever a hunter checks his ur'trap status he can see if something has been caught. It would keep the hobby and concept much more lively than just resetting a trap each RL day and then ignoring them until tomorrow.

- With the change above, make it that contracting a hunter on your trap would give it a percent boost at catching something.

- introduce more variety of baits that can catch different kinds of animals. Im thinking that we could in time even have a catalog made for every type and someone could have fun trying to catch them. 'Gotta Catch'em All' tm.

- The concept of Desert for Physical, Urban for Ghost, and Valley for mystical seems very constructed and doesnt give room for diversity. I think each type of environment should be able to catch each of the types, of course each environment having different creatures.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    For myself, I far prefer the non-random aspect.

I agree that it would be nice to not have the types of critter trapped locked to an environment. Instead, make it so an environment heavily favours a type, with a reduced chance of the others (eg: urban might be 60% ghost, 15% mystical, 15% physical, 10% coin).

Then it would be easy to add new environments (LIKE FOREST!) without having to design new cookie types.
  • Environments have nothing to do with the cookies; rather it is the trap type (physical, mystic, ghost) that determines the cookie. So it'd be (relatively) easy to do a ghost forest environment!

I understand wanting the RP for stuff like this (believe me, I do!), but since no one really sees the traps or anything about them (except possibly the monster when it's released), I didn't think it mattered much!

Anyway, I'll look at introducing maybe a forest trap or a few different hunters or something.  Suggestions?
    I feel like faelings should be forest-tenders.  Valleys should have something an aslaran tender imo.

However... might it be possible to divorce the tenders from the environment entirely, so that way you can just add a bunch of tender-types and people can do whatever they'd like?  You would add a syntax to the purchase where a person buys that tender and trains them in a certain environment (and you can't refund / change it, just as currently).  Because for myself, I might enjoy buying an urban trap, but I don't really have any interest in a viscanti tender.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Tenders of all races!
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Morkarion said:
    My only question is, can you relocate ur'Traps?

I mean if I bought four now to get a certain cookie (can they be traded btw?) and in the future we get a super awesome new trap. Would I be able to disassemble mine and relocate?

Also, COOKIES :D
    I think the limit with licenses is how many traps you can have set at one time. So you can buy as many different trap parts as you want, but you can only have at most four traps set and ticking down days at a time.
  • I personally would prefer efforts be directed at adding a few more traps/terrains with new benefits rather than too much customization or efforts to select from multiple trap types in any one terrain.

Since I am still waiting on one of my traps to countdown, I can't comment on the monsters and cookies yet, but I do think this is relatively cool feature with a somewhat reasonable initial base cost.  Time will tell if it is essential to have a fully upgraded trap or not.  If so, it may be a bit expensive to fully upgrade the trap.

If Estarra is seeking additional ideas for benefits, I think this system could be used to introduce some temporary artifacts that had cosmetic benefits and weren't sold for credits/dingbats directly.  It is important that benefits be cosmetic to avoid making them viewed as required by the populace.  Similarly, I could see a trap type that introduced some curio pieces among the rewards for slaying the monster.
    I don't think you need multiple trap types or anything like that; the only one I'd really like to see adjusted are the tenders (since they are area specific currently).

It might be easier to make it so you can just buy the tender-area-type (valley, forest, etc) and then have a command to switch its race around to any of the available race-types.  So you buy a valley tender and then you can make it whatever you want.

It would thus be somewhat like the Demigod choice powers.
  • You receive a critical hit blessing!
    You receive a blessing of a 10% Esteem Bonus for 15 minutes.
    You gingerly place a small divine cookie in your tongue, which immediately dissolves in a heavenly puff of powdery bliss.

Is the cookie supposed to give the food crit buff?  It doesn't say anything in the help file that I can find.  If so, it really makes these worthwhile.
    edited September 2013
    What does it show as in defences? It might be shared with the clover crit or the cooking curio crit.

• You will receive a Level 1 Critical Hit Bonus (Blessed Food).
    You are blessed with a 10% Esteem Bonus for 4 minutes.
    So it shares the cooking curio food buff? Wow, they're more awesome than I thought.

Pity you can't really benefit from a crit bonus when you're influencing, but the gold/xp ones will be amazing for hunting.

Uh... like I told you on PF, I'm pretty sure that's a bug.  If not, that makes the cooking curios much, much less worthwhile.  I wouldn't plan on it sticking around at the moment, unless told otherwise (so don't splurge lots!)
  • That's what I was wondering, if that was on purpose or not.
    Yeah, I wouldn't put it past the possibility of being a bug. But if it's actually an unannounced feature then  :-bd here.

• The joke is that it's a deathtrap, and ur' is just Orclach for Death, so we have Deathtraps now, but...bleh, whatever.
  • Marcella said:
    The joke is that it's a deathtrap, and ur' is just Orclach for Death, so we have Deathtraps now, but...bleh, whatever.
    Not actually true! If ur' meant "death", then ur'dead would translate as deathdead instead of undead or living dead. Ur' is best translated a prefix that means "Something that is the root word, but acts like the opposite of the root word." It can also mean "of or relating to Urlach", depending on the context. Urth is based on that former meaning (person who is their pre-portal self, but acts like someone else), ur'guard is based on the second (Urlach's Guard) and ur'dead can be based in either (Urlach's Dead, or corpses that lack like living people). Since "trap that acts like something that isn't a trap" doesn't make much sense, ur'Trap is probably based on Urlach, and therefore implies that the stones were made by or based on some sort of trap Urlach invented to fight the Soulless.
  • Yeah, crit hit bonus is definitely a bug! We'll sort it out.
  • Estarra said:
    Yeah, crit hit bonus is definitely a bug! We'll sort it out.
    ...are you suuure it's not a feature?
    Quick, no one saw that Estarra, you can edit to say it's a totally intended awesome feature.

Anyway, small update because my trap finally went off (should have gone five hours ago but I derped) You get a notification when it catches something (Urtraps Status keeps a list of what you've caught and how often you caught it/it escaped) You have 30 days to spring the trap and kill whatever is inside, once it's dead (or presumably the timer expires) the trap goes back to your inventory, so you can set it somewhere else.

Which for Urban traps means if that village you used gets taken over, don't worry. You'll be able to relocate somewhere soon.

• TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    So is a forest trap in the cards? I'm going to hold off on getting anything, so if one comes out - please announce or changelog about it!

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Marcella said:
    The joke is that it's a deathtrap, and ur' is just Orclach for Death, so we have Deathtraps now, but...bleh, whatever.
    Nah, the joke is that it's ur trap, as in 'shut ur trap.'

It's not very funny either. 
    :|
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."