A post to all those who are feeling griefed.

Comments

• Kio said:
    Reah said:
    Synkarin said:

Kio said:
    ..snip
    The point is.. there really is no clear line as to what defines a novice/newbie.

I'm a newbie in Lusternia.  I've been killed plenty of times- and there has never been IC resolution to any of them.  It doesn't MATTER, because it happens to be (mostly) free-pk zones or defendables- but you can't say you've only ever seen one novice killed.

Novices should experience death in both NPC and PC interactions.  It's what gives you goals that eventually you'll attain.  Or it'll cause you to quit.
    You've showed up to a few domoth fights, thus you aren't a newbie anymore and fair game, such is life. The line I use is 'if you jump in fights you don't have to, you are a combatant and fair game'
    That doesn't constitute the lack of novicehood at all.  I went to a domoth on my first day in game simply because someone announced it and I said "oh.. okay."

That's like saying you're not a novice if you've ever gone to Astral.

I'm not defending myself as a novice- I really care less and don't CONSIDER myself a novice- but I surely don't know anything about Lusternia still!

You're not a novice.  A novice is defined in the game, mechanically.

You can be a newbie, though.  However, very few people will consider you a newbie at this point with the frequency in which you fight in Domoths, revolts, etc.
    Speaking on that note, what the hell ARE domoths/revolts? XD
  • Reah said:

Kio said:
    Reah said:
    Synkarin said:

Kio said:
    ..snip
    The point is.. there really is no clear line as to what defines a novice/newbie.

I'm a newbie in Lusternia.  I've been killed plenty of times- and there has never been IC resolution to any of them.  It doesn't MATTER, because it happens to be (mostly) free-pk zones or defendables- but you can't say you've only ever seen one novice killed.

Novices should experience death in both NPC and PC interactions.  It's what gives you goals that eventually you'll attain.  Or it'll cause you to quit.
    You've showed up to a few domoth fights, thus you aren't a newbie anymore and fair game, such is life. The line I use is 'if you jump in fights you don't have to, you are a combatant and fair game'
    That doesn't constitute the lack of novicehood at all.  I went to a domoth on my first day in game simply because someone announced it and I said "oh.. okay."

That's like saying you're not a novice if you've ever gone to Astral.

I'm not defending myself as a novice- I really care less and don't CONSIDER myself a novice- but I surely don't know anything about Lusternia still!

You're not a novice.  A novice is defined in the game, mechanically.

You can be a newbie, though.  However, very few people will consider you a newbie at this point with the frequency in which you fight in Domoths, revolts, etc.

You mean people don't take the time to explain these things when you're domothing or revolting or afterward?

Come2Glom.  We treat our newbies right *waggle*

No, but seriously.  If you don't understand something, speak up to your peeps.  If they put you to HELP DOMOTHS or a chelp for Domoths or revolts, read them, formulate questions, and come back to them.  If they don't want to talk to you about it, pester around until you do.

Questions about these sorts of things are excellent RP off-shoots.  For example, instead of just giving an explanation when someone asks, Kio sits down with them and explains why the Glomdoring finds them important and what it means for the Glomdoring to control Domoths or villages - and not only in a mechanical sense.  It's the little things, yo.
  • Griefers. Tut.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Reah said:
    Seriously, no one in Celest has explained these to you? Hell you've even been in stage 2 in a Domoth fight IIRC.

This is precisely what I mean though when I say people don't work with new players and it affects retention greatly, even if it means just pointing them in the right direction for resources, the lack of care as it were is responsible for the situation people face themselves in. Estarra and the dev team worked into redesigning the NPE with several iterations before this latest overhaul of the introduction mechanics and as fantastic as that is, it's not going to help one jot if people don't interact.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Morkarion said:
    Reah said:
    Seriously, no one in Celest has explained these to you? Hell you've even been held a demesne in stage 2 in a Domoth fight IIRC.

I think I fixed that for you.

But yea... novicehood isn't the only time people need interaction.  You can go on all the hunting trips you want, get Demigod in two weeks after joining the game, but if you're not getting meaningful, thoughtful interaction with people... what's the point?

This is coming off really harsh, and I don't mean it to.  Maybe you haven't tried?  Maybe others haven't tried?  Maybe the timing is all wonky and you never see anyone at a good time?  There can be RP and meaningful interaction with anything.  Try to find it and try to pull it out of someone.  I have to agree with Mork here, though.  Ya'll can cry and complain about my "griefing" killing off novice retention rate, but just last night I had a little novice come to me and thank me for giving him personal RP time because he hasn't been able to find it anywhere else.  That's what sends novices away, not me "jumping" them for "no good reason."

You can tell yourself the sky is purple 16,879 times.  It still won't be the truth.

Anyways, I'm getting snarky and I don't like it.  If you can't get help learning what Domoths or revolts are or how they work, and helpfiles just aren't enough for you - ask someone on the other side if they'd be willing to explain.  OOCly, of course.  It's no fun playing a game when you don't know the rules.

Oh, and if there's no one to help you learn the mechanics of your class, there's lots of people on "our side" who will gladly help you.  Hell, I've helped two people I actively fight against learn how to not die to me because they asked, "So... what can I do to avoid that happening to me again?"  Granted, there are countless others I've offered help, but just get smug replies because cleary I'm just trying to make them feel bad about losing.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Most of us just assumed Reah was an alt. Kelly hung all over her and drug her around, she just showed up to domoths and revolts without asking many questions, and she had a reasonable description and dress code. If she doesn't ask questions, we don't throw answers at her :D
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited October 2013
    The best answer to what is a domoth is HELP DOMOTHS. That's even what one of our scrolls say. :P
  • Rivius said:
    The best answer to what is a domoth is HELP DOMOTHS. That's even what one of our scrolls say. :P

Blah.  I can't agree with you.  That help file is such a wall-of-complicated-text that I had to read it like four times, and I even do domoths.  I think it's a lot easier to take ten minutes to explain the gist of a domoth to a newbie then make them suffer though that beast.
    HELP DOMOTHS does indeed explain everything but holy crap it's not where you want to go for a beginners guide to Domoths.

This is why I've been drafting up a series of "Dummies guide to" books for Glom's library on Revolts/Flares/Domoths/Wildnodes

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• @kio the sky is actually white. Neuroscience has proven this!
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited October 2013
    Hallifax has a four minute stage tutorial on the Domoth process. 

I don't know how complete it is, but it's definitely concise!
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    Daraius said:
    Hallifax has a four minute stage tutorial on the Domoth process. 
    This is the kind of stuff people should be encouraged to look for. Especially with clear CHELP (or even CGHELP) files telling you how to find this further information.

• I have no idea what Domoths are (but I've participated in one I think). A mystery to solve later when I'm not busy!

Eodh said:
    I have no idea what Domoths are (but I've participated in one I think). A mystery to solve later when I'm not busy!
    You mean people don't take the time to explain these things when you're domothing or revolting or afterward?

Come2Celest  We treat our newbies right *waggle*
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    edited October 2013
    Well I'd try explaining this to you one time but :snubbed: also no, that was a Celestia raid.

• Morkarion said:
    Reah said:
    Seriously, no one in Celest has explained these to you? Hell you've even been in stage 2 in a Domoth fight IIRC.

This is precisely what I mean though when I say people don't work with new players and it affects retention greatly, even if it means just pointing them in the right direction for resources, the lack of care as it were is responsible for the situation people face themselves in. Estarra and the dev team worked into redesigning the NPE with several iterations before this latest overhaul of the introduction mechanics and as fantastic as that is, it's not going to help one jot if people don't interact.
    Seriously... this is the primary reason I didn't stick around in Lusternia for something like 6 or 7 years. I'd made a newbie, play for a couple hours not sure what to do, no one would talk to me, and then quit. Being pk'd would have been way more fun than being ignored.

There are always going to be complaints about griefing driving people away, but I think it's unlikely unless those people were already unhappy, or it was clear that they, specifically, are being targeted repeatedly for non-Domoth/Raid/open-Pk zone reasons. 
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • Morkarion said:
    Well I'd try explaining this to you one time but :snubbed: also no, that was a Celestia raid.
    Sorry, I try to limit interaction with PK-And-Dash-Away people. I also have Barrin and Elanorwen snubbed.

By that reasoning, Caerlyr should have you snubbed ;)
  • edited October 2013
    Zvoltz said:
    1) If you have an IC problem with someone, you should attempt to handle it in an IC matter and if it continues and is a violation of the game's rules, then you should ISSUE.

The most insightful remark in this entire thread.  Stay IC and if it can't be resolved IC get the admin to resolve it.  Things only seem to go pear shaped with it enters the OCC arena.

TBH enemies aren't going to like some of your actions and you are not going to like your enemies actions.....but you are after all enemies IC.  OCC they are just another player, who is trying to enjoy the game.

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Eodh said:
    Morkarion said:
    Sorry, I try to limit interaction with PK-And-Dash-Away people. I also have Barrin and Elanorwen snubbed.
    o.O Wot? I don't remember even sending a tell your way or trying to communicate in any fashion. Why the hell?

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    Eodh said:
    Morkarion said:
    I find this odd, considering you then approached me for sponsorship and had a conversation with me. Joined Glom and even started following me around on said raid.

Anyway, explanations were attempted to be offered in that instance.

• Shaddus said:
    By that reasoning, Caerlyr should have you snubbed ;)
    Yes, like I said, I tried going the pure PK route. I didn't like it, so I bantered a bit with Caerlyr so that there was a bit of conflict beyond hitting each other in the face.
    Elanorwen said:
    Eodh said:
    Morkarion said:
    o.O Wot? I don't remember even sending a tell your way or trying to communicate in any fashion. Why the hell?
    Heheh, exactly. I avoid people who don't communicate outside of PK. I may not be able to do it completely, but I do what I can.

• Eodh said:
    Yes, like I said, I tried going the pure PK route. I didn't like it, so I bantered a bit with Caerlyr so that there was a bit of conflict beyond hitting each other in the face.
    Err, no. Eodh never bantered with her at all. She contacted Eodh after you pulled it off and gave him a stern warning to watch his back after which point you went down the gloating/troll route.

Like Caer said, it's not her allies you need to watch for ;)

• You're a combatant if someone who has pretensions of fairness wants to kill you :/
    Please note: I deliberately play a very flawed character. Just because he says or does something, does not mean I agree with it. He's a bit of a <censored> really
  • rofl. That works :p
    Eodh said:
    Heheh, exactly. I avoid people who don't communicate outside of PK. I may not be able to do it completely, but I do what I can.
    That's a rather peculiar reasoning for snub... not to mention that I do communicate outside of PK, although I usually don't find much reason to do so, especially not with people that randomly murder titans on Prime. :P

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    Ssaliss said:
    Honestly, the only use for snub should be to stop harassment, not to use as a way to stop RP. Yes, not all interactions will be rosy and peachy. Yes, some people will annoy you. So what? By snubbing them you remove all chances of them redeeming themselves, and you're cutting off all RP ties with them. If you want to "avoid people who don't communicate outside of PK", then just ignore them when they talk to you.

I'm having problems with this myself. Once upon a time, someone used the snub button to get the famous last word in an argument with me. Now I have no way to speak to them ICly, even though I actually need to, and odds are they even forgot about snubbing me in the first place... and it's not like I can remind them either without it being issuable as snub bypassing. Luckily I've found a clutch solution to my problem, but it sure as heck is cumbersome, and everything would be so much easier to deal with if I weren't snubbed for no good reason.

So long story short: Don't snub people "just because".
    Ehm, there's ways to deal with it. Need unenemied and the champion has you snubbed? Speak with the GA/GM. If they tell you to talk with the GC, explain the situation to them. I doubt that's actually issueable for bypass. Especially if you didn't ask them to relay any kind of communication to the person that has you snubbed. I'm sure you can extrapolate how to proceed from there.

• Well, yes, the situation itself can be resolved anyway. I even stated as much. But it takes a lot more effort on all parts, and would be far easier to remedy if the person didn't snub you in the first place.

To me, snub is an OOC tool to be used against OOC harassment. Not as an IC tool to just ignore some people frivolously.
  • There are people who have snubbed me both because Kio annoys their character by things he says (not harassment, mind you - just RP). There are also people who have snubbed me -who Kio has never had any interaction with outside of killing them during domoths, wildnodes, or revolts-. Note that I didn't include ganking them - because I haven't.

But this whole snub thing is a bit off topic.