NASA to Reveal "Earth-Shaking" Discovery on October 6

"NASA has made a historic discovery that will shake the entire planet. This announcement will be released to the media on November 13th, 2013. It will be a day to remember and One for the history books." But then it says: "Due to change in plans, we will announce this discovery earlier than previously expected. Tune in on October 6th to see what everyone is talking about."

The site is at http://www.rememberthe13th.com/

Just posting this for anybody who doesn't know yet. I'm deathly curious. And the Facebook and Twitter links point to the Curiosity rover.

I hope it's aliens. :3
NASA has made a historic discovery that will shake the entire planet. This announcement will be released to the media on November 13th, 2013. It will be a day to remember and One for the history books. - See more at: http://www.rememberthe13th.com/#sthash.aj3GTxCh.dpuf

Comments

• I'm putting my money on a hoax, given a: the fact that most of nasa is currently offline(the rover isn't, since it's handled largely by a private corporation) and b: the general quality of writing on that webpage.
  • Yep, doesn't exactly look NASA-official to me either. Plus, any change in plans would just delay it further, not make it happen sooner... especially with the shutdown happening.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Asteroid's hitting, that'd certainly shake the Earth.

They had to push it forward because we won't be here in November.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• But... but aliens. :(
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Ried said:
    But... but aliens. :(
    Probably the more likely possibility.

Which always makes you wonder, what if the meteor that knocked out the dinosaurs had a puddle of goop in it from which we spawned...

And we're the aliens all along!

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    I happen to work as a contractor for NASA and haven't heard about anything to this effect. Also with the government shutdown, all of NASA's resources that are not mission critical have been shut down, which includes most of its websites ("Due to the lapse in federal government funding, this website is not available."). I would temper expectations.

(bring on the aliens)
  • So if you, someone with connections to NASA, say "bring on the aliens"... that means Roswell was real! There really are aliens out there! WE ARE NOT ALONE! I KNEW IT!!!
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Obviously, it's the Doctor.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Well, it's not exactly brain surgery.
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    Ssaliss said:
    So if you, someone with connections to NASA, say "bring on the aliens"... that means Roswell was real! There really are aliens out there! WE ARE NOT ALONE! I KNEW IT!!!
    I meannn, the job security would be great!
  • Some Googling turned it up as a hoax, which is a pity, but oh well! A girl can dream.
  • Not only a hoax but very probably a scam trying to collect personal information.

(One big clue is that NASA is essentially closed at the moment, remember?)
  • A red star rising?

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    edited October 2013
    Well, considering there is a button that you can click to find out what the big thing is... and you can click it now, and it takes you to some Youtube video of some guy dancing and singing.... I'd say it's someone trying to go viral via scam. :P

EDIT: On the other hand, if you're so interested in space travel and what-not... go and sign up for the reality show that's going to take place on Mars. That one is -actually- real, but it has a few minor issues with it... the biggest one being that it is a ONE-WAY trip. In essence, start a colony on Mars, have a reality show there... and when interest dies, be completely forgotten and left to die.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    That one episode from The Big Bang Theory with the Mars Rover is based on something that happened to Kelly.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Elanorwen said:
    EDIT: On the other hand, if you're so interested in space travel and what-not... go and sign up for the reality show that's going to take place on Mars. That one is -actually- real, but it has a few minor issues with it... the biggest one being that it is a ONE-WAY trip. In essence, start a colony on Mars, have a reality show there... and when interest dies, be completely forgotten and left to die.
    Killing off people on a reality TV show?  The network exec behind that idea deserves a raise.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited October 2013
    I've read enough Mars colonization novels to know the things that will happen to the first Mars colonists are not going to be showable on TV.  :|
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Daraius said:
    I happen to work as a contractor for NASA
    You are now the coolest person on these forums.
    So if I was a contractor at the NSA, does that make me the least cool person here?
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Daraius said:
    I've read enough Mars colonization novels to know the things that will happen to the first Mars colonists are not going to be showable on TV.  :|
    At least, not unless it's on HBO/Showtime/AMC :D
  • Especially now that The Waters of Mars have been confirmed. Coincidence? I think not!
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Tarkenton said:

Daraius said:

At least, not unless it's on HBO/Showtime/AMC :D

Oh gawd. What I wouldn't give for a highly polished Red Mars series.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."