Forum Categories

edited October 2012 in Common Grounds

One of the admin really wants a Q&A category. But we already have several survival, combat, mythbusters, etc. categories. I'm thinking we may want to consolidate the categories. For example, we could have some sort of category to include the combat and survival guides as well as mechanic's corner, etc. I'm a little burnt out on setting up the forums so looking to see what ideas some of you may have in categorizing the forums. If there's several good ideas, maybe we'll run a poll on it!

Comments

• To expand on Estarra's mention of a Q&A category: To take advantage of the awesome question/answer-style discussions we can make with the new forum, we were thinking of setting up a category like in Common Grounds where you can post all of your simple questions. While this renders a Simple Questions thread obsolete, it gives the benefit of more easily finding questions and the best answers to them, without having to flip through an entire thread several pages long.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I like the concept; simple questions are probably better off in their own disparate threads (one and done) rather than a big bulky one.

Some ideas:

I'm new- what to do?

Questing Quirks

World Library (general Q&A location)

This would let you get rid of Survival Guide & Mechanic's Corner, though the World Library could contain a number of children (Chronicles, Questing, Mechanic's help, and so on) depending on how categorized you want to remain.
    Also, since we are logging in with our characters, is it possible for it to pass along certain bits of information as parameters as well?

It'd be really neat if there was the option for the following:
    1) An envoys section where logs can easily be posted (instead of trying to do so in-game posting) and where more extended discussion could take place, and
    2) An organization section where you can post event times (tea party is at 10 PM EST, don't be late, be sure to bring some biscuits).

If it can automatically include forum users in the appropriate group, there is no maintenance headache (which would have made this a nightmare on the old forums).  Some simple logs could also be saved there for posterity by members of the organization.

Of course you'd not want to post anything secret / sensitive because there's -no way- to monitor who is reading it, but I do think it might help draw some people back to the forums if there was a little place to put things that you don't necessarily want to share with everyone, just the people you share an org with.
  • edited February 2014

Sure, I don't have a problem with alts checking to see when events are happening; the more the merrier, as they say!
  • Alt's are exactly that alts, so by them checking the boards, so what. They are essentially members of the org anyway. I have to be honest, I like Xenthos idea
  • FYI, I don't think there's a way to confine access to orgs, though we could have org groups for everyone (just they'd be completely public).

I like the idea of a World Library section!
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    I like the idea of a questions section too. It seems like a pretty natural change given the new questions format.
  • Ok, I created the World Library, put some of the subcategories in it and got rid of a few categories. What do you guys think?
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Can we have a separate thread for the Arts/Bardics, pretty please? Otherwise, it looks good to go.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Could we have a forum games category? Could be fun
  • I'm unsure where to post something like: I can't delete my current avatar and get a shiny smiley again :( What do?

Forum Questions thread?

• Svorai said:
    I'm unsure where to post something like: I can't delete my current avatar and get a shiny smiley again :( What do?

Forum Questions thread?
    People have been using the Q&A section of Common Grounds to ask forum related questions. If you want to save yourself a step, you can just click on your name in the action bar on the left side of your screen to go to your profile and then hover over your avatar to get the "change" button.

• I was thinking. How about adding a media discussion category to the "out of lusternia" subforums for discussion of games, music, books and the latest movies?
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.