Okay, so I still use MUSH...

...and I really would like to know what options I still have available to me in terms of systems. 

I tried Mudlet and we didn't agree on a lot of things, so really at this point, MUSH is my only option. But as far as I can tell, development of systems and plugins for MUSH seems pretty much dead. 

Is there anyone out there still using MUSH with something homebrewed, or perhaps you kept it updated with all the changes going on. If so, please let me know! I'll pay you if you share!

Comments

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I wish I still used MUSH :( . I'm not particularly fond of Mudlet. But MUSH + WINE + Combat = Laglaglaglagdead for me, so I'm stuck with Mudlet.

The three systems I knew of for MUSH are definitely dead, though :( . In fact, even for Mudlet, it seems like M&M is the only widely-available game in town, not counting homebrews.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    There's two Mush systems in use really,

One is Crown, which is somewhat Mag-centric, you may have @Akyaevin or someone about that

The other is Acorn, which is @Rivius and he's known to share it with Serenwilders and friends

Gaudi had @Altrea's mush system (forget the name) but it was really similiar to Acorn...

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Synkarin said:

One is Crown, which is somewhat Mag-centric, you may have @Akyaevin or someone about that

The other is Acorn, which is @Rivius and he's known to share it with Serenwilders and friends

Gaudi had @Altrea's mush system (forget the name) but it was really similiar to Acorn...

I didn't know Acorn was still being used! Now I really miss MUSH :( .
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• Kaina has Acorn, and Crown. Not sure if the former is still being updated though, as she quit playing.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Everiine said:
    Synkarin said:

I didn't know Acorn was still being used! Now I really miss MUSH :( .

I don't know 100%, but I assume since I still see @Rivius around now and again.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Afaik, Acorn is no longer in development, and isn't updated for the recent overhaul changes. 
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    I'm largely tied up until the end of August. You might see me pop in now and again, but I can't dispense large amounts of time into the game for a while. That said, acorn is something I started off making for myself and gave out to close enough friends who needed it. It seems it's leaked out to people who I never approved of having it, but that's quite alright too. I've toyed around with the idea of releasing it to the public, but it's a big project to support multiple player configurations, and frankly in my experience and from what I've seen from other coders, maintaining a system is a very thankless job. I don't think I could justify putting a price on it either since I can't promise to do a good job providing individualized support. 

Acorn is somewhat updated for the overhaul (obviously not including the warrior changes) with maybe a few patches here and there that I may have missed. However a problem that I've run into with acorn is that my abilities as lua programmer have improved significantly since I first began, and with feature creep the system is full of poorly written code that's inflexible in places. I want to recode it from the ground up when I get the chance but that's not something I'll be able to do until I'm less busy. I'm also reluctant to do a lot of changes when so much of the overhaul is still likely to change.
  • edited July 2015
    Well, I was fortunate enough to be able to solve my own issues regarding finding a system, but I still want to see development continue for MUSH so that people have a choice in their clients.

So, for that reason, I'm going to state my intention to sponsor a bounty of 100 credits to individuals who decide to release new public builds of a MUSHclient system. This is not a first come, first served basis and will be provided to the coder of each system developed, because again, choice is a good thing. However, said systems must be of decent quality, as per my own standards, as I'm the one fronting the bounty.

Hopefully this will help revive MUSH as a viable option for aspiring/returning combatants. I know a lot of old players that recently returned and they may very well be in the same boat I was in, so let's make this happen.
  • That's a really good idea. I should put a bounty on the HTML5 client...
  • I will have to second that bounty. As a returning veteran player, who grew up with Mush, Mudlet has been a nightmare. I am able to make it work with a lot of patience, time fiddling with mmf, and a lot of bashing my head onto my laptop because mmf is the buggiest spammiest piece of shite system I have ever seen. Unfortunately, my version of aglua is so outdated I cannot even hunt shallach, however, Ethelon's influencer still works like a dream. So please, someone put together a system for public use for Mushclient, or hook me up with one of these super secret ones!
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Mudlet is really cool and well-made IMO, but takes a looooot of getting used to, especially if you're used to Mushclient. I hated, hated it at first, but if you stick it out for long enough, and read up on Lua, and bookmark the Mudlet manuals, you will eventually come to like it.

I've been using Mudlet for years and still hate it. I miss my MUSH.

I was recently told Crown is no longer being updated.

I'm not a fan of it anyway, it causes too many UV deaths to adorath knots.

• update: I have coded a simple, user friendly influencer, basher, and done some customizing to prompt and certain spammy feeds. Managing with firstaid for now, but if I plan on doing more than asylum parasites, krokani, rocs, and shallach orcs, Imma need some curing.
    Be careful, firstaid currently doesn't cure stupidity. Been bugged, but not fixed yet.

• i noticed. dunno how to cure it either, slush isnt it? got a whole bunch of pennyroyal from 3 years ago that's useless now
    Yeah, lucidity. I put in a trigger that catches it on first aid and sips lucidity. Works ok kinda sorta.

• okay mush thing. I am trying to make a custom prompt. I can make the prompt itself, but I cannot figure out how to do the color changes for vital*.3 vital*.6 and such. I know I need to capture my max health and table it for a variable..or something. Here's what I got so far for my prompt

ColourNote("black","black","_______")
    ColourNote("green","black","%1","limegreen","black","h","green","black",",%2","limegreen","black","m","green","black",",%3","limegreen","black","e","green","black",",%4","limegreen","black","p-","limegreen","black","(","cyan","black","%7@scroll_bal@sparkle_bal","limegreen","black",") ","red","black","Sol","cyan","black",":","red","black","(","darkred","black","@bash_toggle","red","black",")","limegreen","black","Atk:","red","black","(","darkred","black","@attack","red","black",")","limegreen","black","X:","red","black","(","darkred","black","@target","red","black",")")

if "%7" == "Bexp"
    then Send("firstaid")
    end

• It's not 'bugged' with firstaid.. It's just not updated to use the new cures yet, which is something that Ieptix has acknowledged.. No fixes happening -just yet- until the overhaul is fully complete (hopefully after warrior changes come through)
    Yeah, like, it's possible to do firstaid-helping triggers that are good enough for hunting until Firstaid gets updated. I just can't help you do them on Mush. :/

• why are we talking about firstaid being bugged? I dont see who even brought that up? I said m&m was buggy as hell, that's about it
  • Okay, update, I can say without a doubt that Sol is now a useable system for Mushclient. Not completely foolproof, but usable. It uses firstaid as a curing base currently, but I just got done giving it a test run on astral bashing and it worked quite well. Just need to tweak the basher a bit, and figure in some multiclass options for it and I can make it available for use to the Mush users. Also, word is Ethelon is back. There are plans for either a completely re-writted AG in PHP, or a simple AG update. If anyone wishes to help on Sol though, contact me ingame