Reign - The Mafia Game Thread - English Mafia Win!

Comments

• Ssaliss said:
    Well, there is an alternative solution. You seem to agree that both Kiradawea and Synkarin should die; why not skip the risk-taking and just lynch Kiradawea and you kill Synkarin? He's made no claim to be immune to nightkills.
    If this happens, then I'll block one of the remaining people I suspect. (Othero, Lavinya, or Silvanus) I'd still prefer a Synkarin lynch, though.
  • I agree with Ssaliss. Seems pretty pointless to me to even consider leaving Kiradawea alive if we are so sure we want her dead.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Okeydoke, here's where my thinking is at.

1) Kiradawea is not town and should be lynched.

2) While Synkarin should really just reveal his identity now to resolve Vivet's confusion, I'll say now that I actually buy his partial English Catholic claim. While it is in no way proof of innocence, if he does go ahead and claim and it is the same person I'm thinking of, I'll follow up with why I believe it's a solid claim.

Since most of Vivet's follow up seems to stem from the belief that there is no role Synkarin can claim that gives credence to a town alignment, this will hopefully help address Vivet's concerns, and all the follow up theory last night's discussion spawned. There is obviously the danger that this will backfire strongly on me, with defending him making me look guilty if he is indeed an English agent, but I do buy the two town investigators theory given the potential for the alliance between Scotland and France to fail. Plus, I don't think that the English agents necessarily care about eliminating specific targets, that would justify having their own investigator, more so than just outnumbering town.

One question I'd like answered?

@Celina To clear up Luce's death by poisoning, was that you? A trigger happy vig killing town does happen, so not a mafia accusation, but is important to figure out just how many deaths we need to watch for and doublecheck if there is indeed a lunatic in play.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Shrug.

VOTE:KIRADAWEA
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Current Vote Count Update:

Synkarin - Vivet, Tekora, Yarith (3)

Kiradawea - Synkarin, Falmiis, Celina, Silvanus, Lavinya, Othero, Shaddus (7)

In the kingdom of France, it takes the word of 8 nobles to lynch a member of the court.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Look, someone just vote Kira - looks like I'm dead either way. 

See that you're wrong about me and say 'sorry' and continue on.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Synkarin said:
    Look, someone just vote Kira - looks like I'm dead either way. 

See that you're wrong about me and say 'sorry' and continue on.
    To be fair, you haven't really given us anything to go by either aside from your word that you're a friendly Englishman. The very least you could've given us would be your role name, given that you already seem to assume you'll die. I mean, you don't really have anything at all to lose at this point.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Luce was not me. I haven't killed anyone yet.
    Hrngh.

While Synkarin isn't defending himself which could be considered somewhat suspect, I'm still thinking he's town, and so will put this out there.

Gideon Blackburn

This is a different wiki to the one Vivet linked to, but is the first wiki google result for Gideon appearing for me, and here he is stated to be an English Catholic (he is listed as Protestant in the other wiki).  Loyalty is somewhat ambiguous as he is being manipulated by Elizabeth into doing her bidding who has a relation held hostage.

So Vivet's google-fu might just have been weak when she was trying to find a role that agreed with Synkarin's partial claim. But there is at least one character he could be. I did have a second theory based on what Vivet's investigation revealed, but it's somewhat more speculative, so I think Gideon is perhaps more likely.

But if we take Synkarin and Celina at their word, for me this makes Tekora suspicious again. The role sheet is so full with claimed town alignment that I'm convinced that some of the expected loyal French roles have to be mafia. I was unsure of whether it would be Celina or Tekora, but at this stage I think Tekora has ticked a few more suspicious boxes for me now.

Lavinya's claims seem solid to me, and looking back to early Day 2, Tekora was also one of those promoting cults. While yes Tekora is a verified roleblocker, with the number of information gatherers, jailers, etc. that seem to be in play, that mafia have a roleblocker seems credible, and it is a role that can pass for town quite easily.

Whatever happens I think we're in for an interesting night. Will return my vote to Kiradawea later tonight before going to bed, if someone hasn't preempted me there, or expressed a desire to hold off further.

This is why governor is awkward power by the way. Soo confusing...
    Off to bed, so let's see what the night brings!

Vote Kiradawea.
    Current Vote Count Update:

Synkarin - Vivet, Tekora, Yarith (3)

Kiradawea - Synkarin, Falmiis, Celina, Silvanus, Lavinya, Othero, Shaddus, Ushaara (8)

The lords and ladies of the French court have spoken!

As the rapid-fire accusations continue from dawn until dusk, the third day of the siege feels as if it has exhausted all its daylight. Luce's poisoned body stands witness to Vivet's cries for retribution, pointing to the ring upon Synkarin's hand to declare he is English and can no longer be trusted. Several others join her in her outcry, but then another voice speaks up.

"I would rather lynch a ghost than an Englishman!" Silvanus proclaims, and a chorus of like-minded voices join his, cornering the enigmatic Kiradawea against a cavern wall. A few nobles, bewildered, stand back and watch as the two leaders rally for the other's support, which quickly dovetails into cries of suspicion and treachery that drag on for hours and hours of the day.

In the end, however, it is just as Silvanus says. The kingdom of France chooses to vote a ghost over an Englishman.

"You're giving them exactly what they want," Vivet shouts, but it's no use; the vote has been cast. As her attackers close in on her, Kiradawea throws up her hands and shrieks like a child, flailing in her corner of the room. With surprising strength, she kicks and scratches those who come closer, until one noblewoman fixes her hands upon Kiradawea's throat, strangling her while the others hold her down.

Slowly, Kiradawea's body ceases it thrashing, sobbing as she goes limp in her attackers' arms. One removes the disgusting mask affixed to her face, revealing that she was indeed...

[Clarissa]

Most know you as the voice that haunts the French court in the castle’s labyrinthine catacombs. Some refer to you as a benevolent ghost; others, a witch. Many deny you exist, while still many more blame the worst atrocities of France upon you. Are you a pagan witch, then? The phantom spirit of a mistreated ghost? Or just a hideous, abandoned bastard trapped into haunting a castle that has forever scorned your presence? In a way, you are all and none of these things.

You are neither French, nor Catholic, nor Protestant. You are simply Clarissa, the Enigma of the French Court.

For reasons of your own, you have found a friend in Mary, Queen of Scots. You do not have many friends, truthfully, and you do not take this friendship lightly. You are allied with Mary—and by extension, allied with France—against England. You win when all threats to Mary’s rule have been eliminated.

The Castle Ghost: No one knows the secrets of the castle better than you; true to your ghostly reputation, you are capable of escaping notice without a trace. Not even your friend, Mary, Queen of Scots, has seen your face. [Your actions cannot be clearly observed, and all investigations of you will be inconclusive. However, you can still be roleblocked and nightkilled.]

Desperate Measures: To protect Mary, you are willing to go to lengths that any normal person would deem immoral beyond measure. Sometimes, however, killing is the only way to achieve what needs doing. The world is full of wicked people; they’ve cruelly mocked you your whole life. The French court here is full of wicked men. If you have to, you will gladly kill them for Mary's sake. [3-Time Vigilante NK]

*Note: You are a fictional character who only exists in the Reign universe.

Three innocent bodies now lay dead upon the catacomb floors. Vivet, furious, is the first to speak into the astonished silence: "Now look what you've done! Night has fallen. There's nothing we can do until morning."

This time, no one can refute her. Once more, they scatter, leaving the bodies--and memories--of the dead behind them.

---

IT IS NIGHT THREE OF THE SIEGE

KING HENRY II SITS UPON THE THRONE OF FRANCE

GOD SAVE THE KING!

---

You have 48 hours to send in your night actions. The game will start either when all actions are received, or the 48 hours are up. Good luck!
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    Night actions are all officially in! Stand by for messages this afternoon, Eastern Standard Time. (You guys always finish up while I'm doing classwork!)
    Daraius said:
    edited January 2016
    There's a distinct change in the air this night.

It's a strange thing to note, but also undoubtedly true; the third night of the siege was one that left all of you with uneasy dreams. Sleep, somehow, came more soundly and yet struck more violently this night. Many of the nobles could be heard tossing and turning, moaning as they were plagued by unseen nightmares. Yet one nightmare, unlike the others, proved itself to be real.

This time, the scream that wakes you is undoubtedly Vivet's.

There's a flurry of panic as everyone gathers--Surely someone protected her? Surely someone knew to defend her?--and yet that panic gives way to a sickening dread as all behold the image of Vivet's poisoned body upon the floor.

Her mask, sparkling of silver-and-gold, lies discarded beside her in a mocking tribute.

Vivet was...

[Mary, Queen of Scots]

You are the beautiful Mary, Queen of Scots, the true Catholic heir to the Kingdom of England and the new bride of Francis, the Dauphin of France. You have grown up in the French court, far from your homeland, which relies on your alliance with France to supply it with armies to defend against the English. Indeed, your marriage is a clever move on the political chess board, for the rumor is that the Queen of England is dying, and you, as the only sensible Catholic heir, have been supported by both France and the papacy in your bid for the throne. You are opposed by your English cousin, Elizabeth, a Protestant and a bastard with far too much backing in England for your liking. As long as you both live, you pose a grave danger to one another’s rule.

You are Scottish, but allied with France. You are Catholic. You win when all threats to your rule are eliminated.

Long May She Reign: As a Queen, you have several loyal Scots in your service at court who may, at your request,investigate a member of court by rifling through their belongings and reporting back to you. After all, it’s imperative to your survival—and to Scotland’s—that you discover the British Protestants who would threaten your rule. [Investigator Power]

Among you, a single noble weeps openly, falling to his knees in disbelief. "It should have been me," he whispers, but no one pays him any heed. The implications of Mary's death are terrible for many reasons, but politically, they have their consequences as well.

It's perhaps crass to say so, but the reality is, the power in Scotland has shifted.

Marital Contract: When Marie de Guise and Catherine de Medici determined the engagement between Dauphin Francis and Queen Mary Stewart, it was decided that, should Mary Stewart die childless while married to Francis, Scotland would officially join with the kingdom of France. [All Scottish subjects in the game are now French.]

"Perhaps that's all the English wanted," an anxious, tremulous voice pipes up amidst the silence. "Perhaps now that Mary is dead, they'll leave us alone."

No one says what they are thinking: that France, particularly a Scottish-aligned France, will never forgive this affront on Mary Stewart. That a France combined with Scotland would be too powerful for Elizabeth Tudor to leave alone. No, if they're holed up like mice, she'll choose to strike now, before House Valois can face her on the battlefield. This is the reality: while caught beneath this siege, all their lives are still very much in danger.

"Perhaps so," someone offers, but the sentiment is flat and mocking. It's clear enough what he means.

One way or another, someone is still going to die here before the siege is done.

---

IT IS DAY FOUR OF THE SIEGE:

KING HENRY II SITS UPON THE THRONES OF FRANCE AND SCOTLAND

LONG MAY HE REIGN!

It currently takes 7 nobles to execute a member of the French court.
    Daraius said:
  • ... Well. That sucks.

@Celina: Who did you try to kill last night?

Also:

Vote: Synkarin
    ...I'm surprised I'm still alive. 

I can only assume that the scum want to keep pressure on me so they can continue to fly under the radar. I was all ready with my 'I told you so' 

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.

• Synkarin said:
    ...I'm surprised I'm still alive. 

I can only assume that the scum want to keep pressure on me so they can continue to fly under the radar. I was all ready with my 'I told you so' 
    Considering essentially all you've said so far has been "I'm Englishman and Catholic" without basically anything to back it up, you're pretty easy to put pressure on.
  • ... wow.

I'm not voting yet. I think it was a mistake (possibly a deliberate one) to end day 3 so early. So I'm not going to vote and risk another bandwagon succeeding, especially since there's a lot of questions about what happened last night. Including how on earth was the investigator not protected? It's also interesting to me that Kira had vig abilities. I'm wondering if she was behind the attack on Luce or Celina night2?

• I was roleblocked somehow last night, after trying to target Synkarin again.

Also, I hope everyone has learned to stop listening to Synkarin, Silvanus, Othero and Lavinya.

My plan remains unchanged from yesterday, only now we have no goddamn Investigator.

Vote: Synkarin
  • ... wow.

I'm not voting yet. I think it was a mistake (possibly a deliberate one) to end day 3 so early. So I'm not going to vote and risk another bandwagon succeeding, especially since there's a lot of questions about what happened last night. Including how on earth was the investigator not protected? It's also interesting to me that Kira had vig abilities. I'm wondering if she was behind the attack on Luce or Celina night2?

This seems to be the biggest question, either there is no one to protect them or we have a protector who's making some bad choices.
    You still have an investigator actually

and I found out some interesting information last night that actually works out quite well. If you guys will please allow me a chance to explain it, I'll let you know when I get a chance.

(Busy at work, so it'll be a few hours, but it's really good, I swear, someone isn't who they are saying they are)

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    I'd like to hear what Celina did though because I'm assuming that she did what she said she was going to do and tried to kill me. If that's not the case, My theory is off.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I did not attempt to kill anyone. However, some man slut did visit me and flirt with me. I suspect they thought I would act and tried to block me, but I can't confirm that. It may have been an investigation? Not sure.
    Didn't see all Scots becoming French with Mary's death, but that's a silver lining at least, rather than having to think about faction win conditions.

And since it has been gnawing at me since I brought up the possibility, are you Gideon @Synkarin, or was I way off base with my speculating?

• I can't decide if I am more surprised at Synkarin being alive or Vivet not being protected, especially since Tekora claims to have been roleblocked.
    Ok

Recap first

Night 1 - No deaths, good news for us, wooo.
    Day 1 - Tekora comes out the gate declaring he was jailed. turns out not to be true, Lavinya was jailed, so Tekora was blocked, he claims to be Princess Claude.
    Night 2 - Luce dies, Celina attacked
    Day 2 - Tekora confirms blocking me (I was blocked trying to investigate Vivet), I reread day 2 stuff, no one else claims to have been blocked (confirm/deny anyone?)
    Night 3 - Vivet dies
    Day 3 - Tekora once again comes out and says he was blocked, he tried to block me. Yet Celina seems to have been blocked. 

This all seems very convincing, but what if he's just plain bluffing? 

It seems to be a common theme that scum can do one night action OR they can kill, they cannot do both.

Night 1 - Tekora tries to kill Lavinya, Lavinya is jailed however, so he can't kill her (this could also be someone else and heal/protected, whatever, point is, failed to kill. )
    Day 1 - Tekora comes out right away with the Jail scenario - gets rebuffed, so he then pretends that he was roleblocked instead. All an act to draw us off the trail.
    Night 2 - Another mafia member kills Luce, Tekora blocks me
    Day 2 - now he's got some validation, he blocked me, but given there should be another blocker around, who did they block? I don't seem them blocking anyone. 
    Night 3 - Tekora says he tries to block me, but it somehow fails. He's mysteriously blocked again and Vivet dies somehow. She should have been protected
              - Celina had said she was going to kill me, and had a mysterious visit from man-something distracting her. Possibly a blocker
              - Additionally, these actions continue to frame me and keep me in the spotlight while allowing others the chance to hide in the background. People like Yarith and Shaddus and Tekora who haven't been posting much. 

Here's what I did night 3 - I investigated Tekora, I've been suspicious of him since Day 1. He's been flip flopping everywhere, being aggressive, etc. 

And do you know what I found. 

Tekora is actually Robert Dudley, who happens to be rather close to Queen Elizabeth. He's also a protestant. He's also scum. There is no second blocker who only magically blocks Tekora when it's convienent. I'm pretty sure he blocked Celina while his scum buddies offed Vivet to keep themselves in the shadows while keeping the spotlight firmly on innocent people. Why they didn't just let me die (or let me have the chance to die since Celina didn't act), I don't know, but we don't know why they eliminated Luce the previous night either. 

Vote: Tekora

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    That's a bold claim and believable.
    VOTE:tekora
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • So we're taking the word of the person who got fingered as British by our confirmed, dead investigator, over mine? Okay then. 

FoS Shaddus for not having learned not to listen to Synkarin.
    I guess an honest brit is better than a lying one

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    My suspicions of Tekora haven't been eliminated since the start. I know she lied about being jailed night one, no ifs buts or maybes. Especially when she was 99% sure. But then she wasn't. Why would a roleblocker keep blocking the roleblocker? Either she isn't the roleblocker, and whoever is doesn't trust her so has legitimately been stopping her, or like Synkarin said, she's just making it all up. It doesn't add up.

I was very surprised to discover that Kiradawea wasn't mafia, but then again she wasn't strictly for the king either. I can't trust any of you people! At this point I want to lynch Othero for drinking all the wine when I could use a flagon or two. I jest, but I'd certainly like to hear more from him, as well as Shaddus and Yarith who have really not brought any information to the table at all.

VOTE: TEKORA