Reign - The Mafia Game Thread - English Mafia Win!

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    edited January 2016

Sylandra said:
    First warning. Last warning. Insults must be IC. Once you go OOC it's toxic.

If you are struggling to figure out if your rhetoric is too heated, I recommend using a ludicrous expression such as, "Of course you would think that, you overgrown croissant!" Or, "You're more mafia than monsieur, monsieur!" Or, "Let them eat lynch votes!" Because they will remind you that you are playing a pretend noble in a pretend version of history where people say FRONCE very emphatically in British accents. No one's life is actually on the line here.

Rule #10 is still in effect. I have failed a 4.5 GPA dual-enrollment student before due to her not following very basic fundamental rules. I have no qualms modvigging strangers on the internet. Behave.

Joke's on you, I'm already dead. THANKS CELINA
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    [/vacuums Shaddus up]
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • I'm tempted to think Shaddus might have protected Synkarin.
  • Otherwise, the Mafia probably have a blocker of their own.
  • Yarith, rather. Goddamn, today was a hard day at work.

• UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    I'm still thinking that all three of Ssaliss, Falmiis and Allyrianne are lying. That we've turned into Tekora vs Lavinya/Silvanus is a distraction I think.

Synkarin's death message revealed that he was second in command, and that mafia win when 'threats to Elizabeth' are eliminated. For me this implies that Elizabeth is in the game as leader of the mafia. So one of those three is Elizabeth, and then the question is how many mafia we had to start with? Four? Or Five (making Othero also mafia)? That he was specifically Robert Dudley makes me think that it will be other Englishmen, rather than traitor French, who make up the rest of the mafia.

Everyone's claim before now has been substantiated in some form,  ASIDE from Ssaliss', Falmiis' and Allyrianne's.

I had been thinking that one of Claude/Catherine might be an English agent, but Tekora's drive against Synkarin, and Celina's lynching of Shaddus have eased those suspicions for me. And as above, now inclined to believe that it is specifically an English threat, and not turncoat French.

Chirbo's death did make me think there might be religious investigator in play, but we will never know what evidence Vivet would have found if she investigated Chirbo, so the 'might be found to be protestant' could have been a French Protestant bible, or something more flavoursome, yet not damning. So Ssaliss' claim just plays on what we might have been expecting.

Sebastian is a main character of season 1 yes, but as Silvanus pointed out is non-historical. He really only seemed to be introduced because the CW think that shows can't be entertaining unless they have a love triangle. They resolved the Francis/Mary/Sebastian love triangle in season 1 with Mary marrying Francis, yet season 2, after a promising hysterical episode, is all about another love triangle and Sebastian is essentially a minor character. I can see why Sylandra would have left him out, making Falmiis' claim semi-suspect.

Allyrianne's is really the only semi-believable one for me, but at this point we're down to numbers game, and unfortunately I just don't think she fits.

For me, preferred lynch order would be Falmiis/Ssaliss, then Othero and Allyrianne.

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I believe Ssaliss. 

Consider my previous post about Luce's role, and that it implied a religion only investigator. That role would be useless for the Mafia, they know alignments by default. No one has come forward to dispute Ssaliss and claim the religious investigator role. By process of elimination, I don't suspect Ssaliss. 

I propose we lynch Falmiis and Othero last votes him. If Othero refuses, we lynch Othero. 

I will say that I absolutely don't believe Falmiis is telling the total truth at this point.

I don't believe he has a pagan curse bomb power. His description of it at every point since his claim has been ambiguous and vague, and we all know based on the revealed roles that Sylandra's descriptions are anything but vague. Rather they are very specifically detailed.
  • You know, I actually suspected some might be suspicious of things from the start, so I have planted a couple of things.

In reference to the Eucharist:
    Ssaliss said:
    I really do wish we had some wine right now.
    In reference to the burning of heretics:
    Ssaliss said:
    I much prefer fire, myself. Your place or mine?
    When voting for Chirbo:
    Ssaliss said:

Vote: Chirbo

Heretics deserve to die.
    After that I stopped since I didn't want to become too obvious.
    What's your win condition though Ssaliss, the Papacy was a completely separate entity to France/Scotland and while there may be a religious affinity in wanting Mary on the throne, I don't see the Pope sharing the 'win when all threats to France are eliminated' condition.

And @Celina, I too thought that there would be a religious investigator after Chirbo's death, but as just mentioned above, we have no idea what Vivet's investigation of Chirbo would have revealed.

There was some ambiguity in Vivet's investigations, (as evidenced by me pointing out Gideon character could be an English Catholic), and 'Navarran' while it makes Othero suspect, doesn't specifically say Protestant/not town-aligned either.

Having a definitive religious investigator to point the finger at Protestants (and aside from Chirbo, everyone with town alignment is Catholic) just seems too convenient, and claiming religious investigator at this stage reads to me like 'Everyone thinks there's a religious investigator, it's a safe claim.'

But anyhoo, I won't press things more than this, since my gut was wrong about Synkarin. I'm fine being last vote on Falmiis if needs be, and really am ok with lynching any of the four I had listed as 'Others' so up to the rest of you to build a few votes!

Oh, Kiradawea was faithless too, but think she's the exception rather than the rule!
    Also, if you believe Ssaliss, then explain the discrepancy with what he says about investigating Kiradawea and she screaming back at him?
    He investigates religious affiliation, she lacks a religion, so there was no result. 
    Celina said:
    Vivet said:
    It's there in Chirbo's role, but the wording says "may". It's ambiguous as to whether or not his Protestanism would be revealed. I'm also saying nationality based on what I've found - that seems to be the theme so far.

Also, if what Celina is saying is accurate, we have to accept that a scum kill attempt was made on her the very night after Synkarin investigated her. Coincidence? Maybe. But it makes for a very fascinating coincidence.

I can say with 100% certainty that an attempt on my life was made, and it failed. The second scream was my attacker. 
    But that doesn't fit with this, so if we lynch Ssaliss and he -is- the Pope, you've just incriminated yourself.
    I feel like I just wasted an opportunity to use that Ace Attorney 'Objection!' gif there. :(
    So you're saying either Ssaliss or I are mafia because we both think/thought we know/knew the origination of the second scream, but neither of us can verify which scream Sylandra's flavor text was referencing?

You would have to resolve the motive for myself claiming to know who the second scream and Ssaliss (much later) offering up a random bit about having also been screamed at. Sometimes a discrepancy is just a discrepency, without any reason or motivation behind it, implying it's something insidious is just wasting time.
  • There is a second, far more plausible (to me) explanation:

Kiradawea tried to kill Celina. This means that we both heard the same scream. Honestly, I can't think of anyone else it could've been that tried to kill her that night... Have we had any other nightkill powers, oneshot or otherwise?
    Oooh. I didn't even think of that. 

• Oh, and my win condition is pretty simple. I'm from the Vatican, and I'm allied with France. I'd much rather see a Catholic queen on the throne of England (I'm sure that can still be managed somehow) rather than a Protestant queen, and since it's the protestant Queen that is fielding the resistance against the French, I win when all threats to France are eliminated.
    Current Vote Count Update:

Othero - Tekora (1)

Falmiis - Ssaliss, Ushaara (2)

In the kingdom of France, it takes the vote of 5 nobles to lynch a member of the court.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Daily reminder to LYNCH OTHERO
    Don't but a twat just because you're not getting your way. It's rude.

vote: Falmiis

Need one more Falmiis then Othero can vote last.
  • Yeah, I'm willing to go for the last lynch of Falmiis. I think there is enough there to suggest that they're bluffing about the role. 
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Ok then. VOTE FALMIIS

• Vote Falmiis

Sure do hope I didn't fuck myself.
  • RIP Othero
    edited January 2016
    Current Vote Count Update:

Othero - Tekora (1)

Falmiis - Ssaliss, Ushaara, Celina, Lavinya, Othero (5)

The lords and ladies of the French court have spoken!

There's only one way to properly purge a heretic: by fire.

Falmiis stands with cool composure as the gathered nobles latch him to a nearby stone pillar, setting a pile of assorted rubbish at his feet. "You'll be sorry," he whispers, watching as one by one they continue to leave dry wooden offerings beneath him. Meanwhile, Othero takes the long-forgotten torch from the first day and takes two stones together, striking it so that it ignites.

As Othero looks up from the torch, Falmiis's eyes lock onto his. "Are you sure," Falmiis repeats, meaningfully, "that you want to do this? Is your life worth this?"

Everyone collectively holds their breath. Falmiis is bluffing. He has to be bluffing. Everyone else is Catholic, so he has to be one of the English, doesn't he? It's the only way the events of the past day make any sense at all. No, this pagan nonsense must be a ploy. It has to be a stalling tactic for time. It has to...

"Burn in hell," Othero says, and brandishing the flame in his hands, he sets Falmiis afire.

The flames are beautiful, and terrifying, and mesmerizing all at once. They swallow Falmiis's body completely, so that all that can be seen is his face as it contorts in agony. His lips move quickly in desperate prayer - but no, it's not prayer.

This is an ancient power, spoken in a language understood by none present.

Suddenly Othero stumbles to his knees, screaming as the skin melts from his face. He wildly tosses and turns upon the stone floor, shrieking as burns sear through his body just as surely as they sear through Falmiis. No fire touches Othero's skin, but it doesn't matter. This, you realize, is dark magic. The two nobles of the court writhe and squirm, a cacophony of torturous screams.

After what seems like an eternity, the screams stop.

Falmiis's mask has burnt to a crisp, revealing that he was indeed...

[Sebastian “Bash” de Poitiers]

Your mother, Diane de Poitiers, and King Henry II’s love affair is well known, but lesser known are all the bastards that he has fathered with her. Such as you, for example. While you can never dream of a throne of your own like your half-brother Francis can, you find such a calling doesn’t appeal to you anyhow. You have long been captivated by the pagan religions of your Druidic ancestors, and though it alienates you from a Catholic court, you are wise enough to keep such beliefs to yourself. One only has to look at the Protestants to know how badly sharing one’s faith can pan out. That doesn’t mean you don’t practice them, however. Black arts aren’t necessarily evil in their nature, after all; it’s all in the intent, and your intent is good. That of those who would do you and your loved ones harm, however…

You are French and, controversially, are a Pagan as well. You win when all threats to France are eliminated.

Accursed Vengeance: If you are nightkilled or lynched, your attacker (or, in the case of a lynch, the last person to hammer the final vote on you) will be cursed to die along with you. [Bomb Power]

*Note: You are a fictional character who only exists in the Reign universe.

Falmiis wasn't lying. He wasn't lying. Good Lord, if he wasn't lying, then who was...? All eyes turn to Othero's twisted corpse, eager for an explanation.

And then the cavern's lights go dark.

Startled shrieks pierce the pitch black nothingness that greets the nobles' eyes, until without fanfare, light is restored to the premises. The culprit is soon spotted--a boulder had blocked the one passageway that allowed for brief slants of sunlight to slip through the caverns. Someone unseen must have moved it, though God only knows for what purpose. Yet as soon as that mystery is solved, another arises.

Othero's dead body has vanished.

Was this another trick of Falmiis's? Or was someone in the wings orchestrating this scenario, ensuring that Othero's identity would never be revealed? And if someone was hiding it...was it to absolve Othero, or to incriminate him?

Yet dusk has fallen at last, and the night demands its own solemnities. Each of you leave more mystified than when you awoke, wondering who it is you'll see when you next awaken...if you awaken at all.

---

IT IS NIGHT FIVE OF THE SIEGE:

KING HENRY II SITS ON THE THRONES OF FRANCE AND SCOTLAND

GOD SAVE THE KING!

---

You now have 48 hours to send in your night actions. The game will start either when all night actions are received, or when the 48 hours are up. Good luck!

Daraius said:
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    I can't not, at this point.

Good luck, everyone.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Whoops