Guild complexity

So, I was wondering if anyone could help me with something. I have a friend who LOVES playing with game mechanics. Optimizing, experimenting with builds, all that. I'd like to know if you could recommend a guild that would be good for them, so that they could have some fun on Lusternia. Preferably one with highly complex mechanics, and several different possible setups. Thanks!

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    The Illuminati class is the only one with substantial choice in setting up their effects, through the different flesh-form options. For the most part, everyone else just runs with everything they have. The other option is to go with a psionic mage, because they have layered channels - so you have a number of things to do each balance. 
  • You can play around for literal hours with monk forms, though I believe the most effective methods for each guild are currently solved.
  • edited March 2016
    Any Guild with Astrology.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Illuminati. Three viable tertiaries! 

Or druid, if you're okay being a meld slave. 
  • Builds aren't really a thing in Lusternia compared to some other RPGs. Instead, most of your variety and optimization will come from your in combat decisions.

I'm biased towards Guardians, I think in general they have a lot of versatility and nuance to play with.

Nihilists are probably my favorite class mechanically and thematically. Unfortunately they're not in a great place at the moment with the Overhaul neutering several key abilities.

Institute (what I am) is strong with good options. Each tertiary is viable, and there's a good 'bread and butter' kill method that works fairly well, with variations depending on the opponents curing. There's also a variety of other strategies for different situations or just novelty, some gimmicky some not.

That said, I think you could get a lot of depth out of most classes, maybe the least with the -chem and -wood specs.
  • Illuminati have choice with the flesh options in Transmology, but I believe there's an optimized choice for each of them.

I'd go with Institute as Shedrin said. They have a lot of options with their tertiaries and everything seems to blend together decently well.

• Nienla said:
    Illuminati have choice with the flesh options in Transmology, but I believe there's an optimized choice for each of them.

I'd go with Institute as Shedrin said. They have a lot of options with their tertiaries and everything seems to blend together decently well.

There are some standard choices, but there are also some highly situational ones. I find myself redebating myself on which is the best to keep as a path (default always locked in) vs what to turn on and then which to swap in and out. I tend to favour bellyfat for poteen pots for instance.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Illuminati's kill relies on terts more than Institute does, so the viability may vary. I think the flavour is cooler, however.

The optimized choice for fleshmorphs can't really occur without substantial investment in arties, but I wouldn't worry about that yet.
  • Shuyin said:
    Illuminati's kill relies on terts more than Institute does, so the viability may vary. I think the flavour is cooler, however.

The optimized choice for fleshmorphs can't really occur without substantial investment in arties, but I wouldn't worry about that yet.
    That is one of the cool things about the guild, when you start you don't need as many artifacts and as you later gain artifacts you can start using other morphs that don't duplicate artifacts.