Oh snap, I think I broke my Mudlet mapper. How do I fix it?

edited March 2013 in Q&A
After reinstalling mudlet and downloading the latest mapper script, I downloaded the map and now it seems like there are areas in the game that aren't being displayed. I can still room find the non-displayed rooms, so they exist somewhere ... just not on my display D:
If it's broken, break it some more.

Best Answer

Answers

• To quote someone: "If it's broken, break it some more." :P
  • OK, perhaps this is the best existing thread to post about my Mudlet Mapper issues. Because right now, the ongoing problem is entirely preventing me from playing Lusternia to any degree.

I previously played the mac release for Mudlet 2.0-test4 which I downloaded from Sourceforge. I also run M&M and Mudlet Mapper in tangent. All was going well enough UNTIL I decided to download / install Mudlet 2.1 Mac release from the Mudlet website.

At first, Mudlet 2.1 exhibited some minor issues. Mainly I could not use the package (in)/(un)staller feature as advertised. No worries. I manually upgraded to the latest M&M version. It was about this time that I noticed that mudlet mapper wasn't working. There was no error message. In fact, there was nothing when I used my aslias "goto" commands. This was when I decided to update both the mapper & maps.

Long story short, goto commands under the updated mapper would simply pinwheel my computer to eternity. I could not regain control of Mudlet and opted for a force quit each time. It was after several program quits / computer restarts that I decided to downgrade back to Mudlet 2.0-test4.

Alright. So "goto" commands will now display one of two things. Either the "I don't know how to get there from here" error message, or the "We're already at..." message if I happen to be placed right at my target goto destination. For some reason, I feel that this issue involves the map and not necessarily the map script.

Can anyone suggest how I can purge the old map from my computer? Does anyone have any other suggestions how I might go about trouble shooting the issue? It's become a major frustration, which has deterred me from playing Lusternia as of late.

• C:\Users\user\.config\mudlet\profiles\Lusternia - Lerad

^ This is where my profile is stored. Note that this can be different for everyone depending on their computer username (if they have one) OS, what they named their profile as well as where they installed mudlet. At any rate, the bolded part is the important part. Somewhere in your mudlet folder you should be able to access all the different profiles you have.

Here, there should be a folder called map. Maybe a map.xml file, maybe a mapper.options.lua file. Just delete these files, the map data files should be something like this: 02-03-2013#00-14-46map.dat

I'd personally advise you to try mudlet 2.1 again. There's going to be more problems in the future as both m&m and the mapper scripts get updated with 2.1+ in mind. Once you have deleted all your old map files and re-downloaded/installed a new map and mapper, you should be able to get everything up again. Good luck, Jan.

• OK, I won't go through the step-by-step of what didn't work. Suffice it to say, I tried a variety of approaches to the point of frustration. It didn't help that I couldn't run the debugger due to the never-ending pinwheel. It turns out that my assumptions about the map were correct.

As per your instructions, I cleared out the old Mudlet maps AND reinstalled 2.1 / downloaded new maps. This appeared to be "THE" solution. I know it sounds so simple, but I can assure you that I tried a variety of approaches leading up to this point. Thanks. And I'm now back in the game!
  • I had a problem precisely like what Alacardael described.  and I could find every file Lerad mentioned (as quoted) and deleted them. However when I Started mudlet again, downloaded the script and map, I find that I am unable to see even maps for areas I could see earlier.Also my *\mudlet\profiles\Lusternia\map folder remains empty no matter the number of times I download the map. 
    Can anyone diagnose my problem and suggest a solution?
    Lerad said:

Here, there should be a folder called map. Maybe a map.xml file, maybe a mapper.options.lua file. Just delete these files, the map data files should be something like this: 02-03-2013#00-14-46map.dat

• I had to reinstall Mudlet. Save your aliases/triggers/etc. reinstall mudlet, reattach your aliases/triggers/etc. and re-download the map file.
    If it's broken, break it some more.
  • Strangely the problem got solved on its own a couple of days after I implemented the solution given by ^Lerad.

Thank you ^Lerad.