Some questions about monks

Hi I'm new here so I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong place or anything like that. I was wondering what would be the best class and race for someone who is just starting. I looked at monks and they look interesting but I've read others say they are confusing. Also I noticed each monk guild has different weapons, some use knives some chains etc Is there a difference in skills depending on what weapon you have? I mean, is one better for bashing or PvP?

Comments

• Choose based on the roleplay you want. Each guild and city has a very different culture, and that will often be the primary motivating factor in what you enjoy.

Each monk guild has a different primary skill, based on their weapon of choice. There are some similarities, but also major differences in their combat style. They're all equally good at bashing. For PvP, you'll get differing opinions on which ones are better or best.

Monks can be confusing, but your guild can help you through all that, and give you forms to use for hunting and combat.
  • Monks are definitely confusing, but things have been improved a great deal from since I was a novice. Now, you no longer have to spend time learning about forms before you start bashing, the ingame attack alias is great to get a feel for the class. You do need to spend time learning about forms to get into pvp, but you won't be doing pvp for quite a while anyway, so no worries.

Bashing wise, all four monk guilds are, weapons/offensively speaking, more or less on the same page. Tahtetso and Shofangi can be tankier, but as a novice, you won't be able to access the abilities that really make the monks different from each other, so for the immediate start as a novice, there really is no difference.

• Got it thx for the info guys i got one more question. I know some races say they are better at certain monk weapons like illithoids are better with ninjakari. Is the difference between say a human and an illithoid wielding a ninjakari pretty significant?
  • No. The racial bonuses add a very small stat increase to the weapons. There will be a difference, but it's a very small difference that isn't very significant, especially not as a novice or just for bashing (Think 0.1s faster, or +10 damage per hit etc).

• edited March 2013
    Strength and Dexterity will make the biggest difference.