The Shakespearean Mafia Game - Heroes (Town) Win!

Comments

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Theoretically, we get the same information if she's killed tonight or lynched tomorrow. If we wanted to, we could lynch someone else, have her off someone else we find suspect, then make a decision tomorrow about whether we trust her. I don't, but it's a possibility if there's someone we think is scummier.
  • Krackenor said:
    (Still hate mobile forums) I do want to hear from the other two, so please unvote for the time being
    It took me several hours to realise that
    this was about me. Oops! Sorry.
    I got distracted by the many circles.
    My instinct now is to suspect Cyndarin,
    but maybe that's just cause she's really loud?
    I fear being too hasty. I would say
    that Tremula's the safer lynch for now,
    and just to see what happens i'th'night.
    As advice that's rather weak, I know,
    but really I don't know what else to do.
    I hesitate with voting just to make
    sure that we've all a chance to say our piece.
    If all is done and said, I'll vote anon.
  • I'm always very loud. :(
  • Which is exactly why I'm questioning
    the assumption that you're overcompensating.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Alright, since we still seem to be aiming for a Tremula lynch, thoughts on who to block tonight?

My personal money is on Maylea to be safe, and Cyndarin, Krackenor or me. (obviously I'd prefer to not be blocked, but I recognise that we had a lot of suspect claims today.) 

Have both of the theoretical investigators target the same person and we can test them tomorow. Someone who hasn't revealed their name but doesn't mind doing so tomorrow to confirm.
  • I understand that logic says to block
    my efforts. But I must beg that you do not.
    Thus jailed, I and my people cannot act
    to aid us in our work against the foe.
    Would that I could tell you why - but
    I fear they know too many roles as 'tis,
    and do not wish to give them even more.
    I'll let these words serve here as my protest,
    and say nothing else upon the subject.
  • I have... A convoluted plan. I would rather like to actually use my power tonight, but I also think I'm at risk of being murdered since I've been outed. So, if Eldanien watches me, I'll do the investigative thing on somebody suspicious or quiet (looking at you, Shaddus 0_0), then our doctor can protect eld. That way, if I'm killed, we know something. If I'm blocked, we know something. If I'm left alone, we know something unless lavinya gets in my way again. Thoughts?
  • I think whatever plan we do shouldn't be advertised so openly. We have a lot of revealed roles now (thanks Eld), and if we advertise we're protecting Eld, the mafia will work around that. 

Basically the biggest problem we have at this point is we have given the mafia a lot of cards and we're still struggling to find one. 
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Pinging @Shaddus because he hasn't said much and was mentioned last post.

I've got no real objections to Krackenor's plan, actually. Eldanien is insurance against killing Krackenor since whacking him would be suicide while the watch is on. Have the tracker (if any) follow him too just to make sure he's targeting who he says he is. Doctor protects Eldanien so he's not an easy target.

@Eldanien: You're a confirmed town at this point, more or less, do you want to decide who our blockers block?
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Whoah. Woke up to 500 angsty Cyndarin posts screaming about Eldanien not being able to read and how he forced a mass role claim. (If anything I did that by being first off the mark with the reveals).

Settle thine rhetorical tits. Totally have zero suspicions regarding you after that whine fest. Though protesteth waaaaaay too much.

Moving on! We are all pretty universally agreed that Tremula needs to die. Given the lack of her defense my presumption is she isn't mafia, as surely one of them would have at least made a subtle yet distant attempt at making us all question the decision and no one really has. So she is either a trigger happy vigilante, or a serial killer. Both extremely dangerous to the town AND the mafia. Is there anything more on that topic that hasn't already been said? I'm nervous that while we're getting very interesting discussion at the moment, it's easy to become a distraction that confuses us and we possibly even not lynch tremula as a result, and she goes on her merry chaotic way again tonight.

@Shaddus really is the quiet one right now. Which he often is, must admit, but still. Speak up big guy!

As for plans - I will be sailing on my barge with a guest, obviously.

• Um...no, I'm not telling you exactly who I'll be targeting. We have no choice but to talk out loud due to a general lack of private messaging, but neither am I going to give everything away on case the mafia can hide their own.
  • Lavinya said:
    Whoah. Woke up to 500 angsty Cyndarin posts screaming about Eldanien not being able to read and how he forced a mass role claim. (If anything I did that by being first off the mark with the reveals).

Settle thine rhetorical tits. Totally have zero suspicions regarding you after that whine fest. Though protesteth waaaaaay too much.

Moving on! We are all pretty universally agreed that Tremula needs to die. Given the lack of her defense my presumption is she isn't mafia, as surely one of them would have at least made a subtle yet distant attempt at making us all question the decision and no one really has. So she is either a trigger happy vigilante, or a serial killer. Both extremely dangerous to the town AND the mafia. Is there anything more on that topic that hasn't already been said? I'm nervous that while we're getting very interesting discussion at the moment, it's easy to become a distraction that confuses us and we possibly even not lynch tremula as a result, and she goes on her merry chaotic way again tonight.

@Shaddus really is the quiet one right now. Which he often is, must admit, but still. Speak up big guy!

As for plans - I will be sailing on my barge with a guest, obviously.
    Sorry, I have a natural attitude, and when people put me in weird positions where I can't win, and misrepresent what I'm saying (a la the Tremula SK situation) I get more attitudey. I still feel he was very much putting me in a no win scenario in regards to who I choose to target and Tremula's possible SK status. 

My finger has a mind of its own and starts to wag itself and z snap.

I still think he forced a roleclaim. There was no other way that scenario could have played out. Someone was going to reveal, and at that point everyone had to. So doing that makes me additional attitudey. 
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Krackenor said:
    Um...no, I'm not telling you exactly who I'll be targeting. We have no choice but to talk out loud due to a general lack of private messaging, but neither am I going to give everything away on case the mafia can hide their own.
    And this is why off-the cuff observations snatched between breaks does not a good working theory make.

Has everyone spoken that wants to, anyway? @Shaddus, @Rolsand, @Othero,  @Ieptix?
  • I'm not certain we have a traditional doctor role.  Do we have reason to think so?  We have a jailer, and then we have that drinks-and-or-pickpocketing thing, which may be a doctor role, roleblocker, another jailer... mafia, we don't know.

I have to add, attitude doesn't cloud my thinking - I lived in an ER for a couple of years, and dealt with worse on an hourly basis.  @CyndarinAscends, have all the attitude you want.  At the end of the game, none of it will matter.  I'm just trying to look at the substance under the emotion.  It's unfortunate that you and I don't speak the same language, because I feel like we could have been more productive in that argument.

But too, congeniality also doesn't stop my brain from functioning, and though I appreciate less combative playmates (thank you, most of you), we still haven't got any kind of verification of @Krackenor's role or allegiance beyond @Alary, who I think it fair to place in the unknown column.  Which is more verification than most of us, sure, but I'm not sure I'm willing to pile up everyone's actions on Krackenor and wait for him to tell us a tale, true or otherwise.

I suppose if we come to a general group consensus, I'd play ball.  But I feel that announcing plans and agreeing to follow them is setting us up in a bad way.  Deviating from that plan makes someone look guilty, but if everyone followed the plan then the mafia basically get a scot-free kill.  So no, I'm not inclined to call the blocks.  Even if I were, remember, this is my very first mafia game unless you count Vengeance.  I'm making this s*** up as I go.

And yes, we need more input from other voices.

• For what it's worth, relatively certain the drinking companion is just a role blocker
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    It's...unusual to have a mafia setup without a doctor, just as a counter to the mafia kills. It's happened before, but...
  • I believe not everyone can be telling the truth about the roles sooooo saying that you can't believe everyone's words. But evidence wise nothing has really happened to me yet I'm just following the lynch and trying to choose sides in these type of situations
  • I have naught much else to add. Tremula is clearly at best a liability, at worst an active threat. She needs to go today, which I think we're all basically agreed upon, since if she sticks around we're essentially guaranteed that she's able to kill again tonight, unless we dedicate a roleblocker or jailer to here, which means someone of more potential import is not covered. 

The mass claiming was a disaster, since the mafia now ostensibly knows the watcher and two (? I think those were the claims but I can't remember) investigators, and the jailer, which are some powerful roles and pretty hefty targets.

Given Maylea's unwillingness to claim, she's possibly a mafia. If she's not mafia, the "I'm too important to claim or block" could be because she's either legitimately got a powerful role (tracker or doctor or something), or she's vanilla or otherwise pretty weak, trying to draw fire during to keep the other important peeps out of danger. I think that third option is the least likely, the other two are both pretty reasonable, based on what I can recall her saying.

Regardless, I do think it prudent to assume we have a doctor in the game; as Luce said, the complete lack of a doctor would be incredibly odd.

Cyndaquil could be mafia as Eldanian is trying to push, but it's also very plausible that her 'tude is just making her come off as really antagonistic and thus scummy.

I'm not sure there's really much more to get out of today, though. At this point it seems arguments have started devolving into circles. If people are gonna coordinate roleblocks or protections or whatever, then I guess that can be a thing, but if not then we should just lynch Tremula and move on, because unless someone slips up awfully I don't think there's much more to gain here.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • I don't think we're going to come to an agreement tonight with all the uncertainty, so I'll push the button. 

Night falls with no plan...Chaos is come again. (It's from Othello please don't read too deeply into it)

Vote Tremula
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I'm not that quiet, I just don't have a lot to say. :( I dare say I've posted more than Luce, or close.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    We still need one more vote to officially lynch, Krackenor's vote put us at 6 of 7 I believe?

@Othero is also very quiet.

It's also interesting I think, given how no one is speaking out for NOT lynching Tremula, how few actually voted for her. Some removed their votes to avoid haste I know, but still. Interesting. I am collating all your voting FACTS, be afraid.

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    That's Lynch, actually. Cyndarin voted a page ago, after Syl's last votecount
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    edited May 2016
    Ye Olde Vote Count:

Tremula: Othero, Lavinya, Ieptix, Alary, Shaddus, Cyndarin, Krackenor (7)

Alary: Tremula (1)
    What ho! That's a lynch!

---

As the remaining players circle around Tremula, she shrieks and claws at her attackers, crying out, "If I be waspish, best beware my sting!" Doing so, she whips from her side a... mandolin? (For indeed, her lute seems to have splintered a whole play ago!) 

In vain, she swings it at Alary and misses, only to lose more and more of her mettle the more the other players criticize her temper and behavior. Finally tired of the banter, she throws the instrument to the ground and accepts defeat, allowing the noose to sit upon her neck: the shrew, finally, tamed.

"Come, come, you forward and unable worms!
    My mind hath been as big as one of yours,
    My heart as great, my reason haply more,
    To bandy word for word and frown for frown; 
    But now I see our lances are but straws,
    Our strength as weak, our weakness past compare,
    That seeming to be most which we indeed least are."
    -The Taming of the Shrew
    Tremula was...

Katherine, a comic heroine.

Let’s be honest: you were wronged in The Taming of the Shrew. The misogyny in this play has made it one of the most problematic of Shakespeare’s works to bring to the modern stage, with almost every version now tweaking the final monologue where Kate, the “shrewish” bride, decides to declare a good woman should be submissive to her husband and lord. (If we can recommend any adaptation, we humbly suggest that of Ten Things I Hate About You.) For all your fabulous lines in the earlier scenes of the play, this final monologue strips you of the agency and strength that both make you such a compelling Shakespearean heroine, which is a shame.

We at the Mafia Rendition of the Globe are not interested in a submissive Kate. We love our Kate bold, daring, feisty and impetuous. On this stage, we do not demand you take a husband or a lord. Let this be an opportunity for us to rewrite the script.

You win when all villains are eliminated from the stage.

Shrewish Maid: You may remove a player from stage during the night, screaming them off the stage like some ill-mannered suitor. Of course, to prevent running your voice ragged, you can only do this 3 times. [3-Time Vigilante]

---

Dumbstruck, the players mourn too late the feistiest member of their acting troupe. Indeed, it is strange to see such a spirited creature now spiritless upon the stage. Once more the eyes of those living meet, filled anew with distrust as the clock chimes their departure from the stage, its somber tone declaring that night now falls heavy upon them.

[Exeunt all, sans Tremula]

Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    edited May 2016

It is Act Three
    Scene Two: Night

You have forty-eight hours to send in your night actions. Act Four will begin either when all actions are received, or the deadline is up.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    The stage lights flicker, announcing that all night actions are in! Act Four will begin shortly.
    Daraius said:
    edited May 2016
    Act Three:
    Scene Two: Night

“I’ll be no longer guilty of this sin; this sanguine coward, this bed-presser, this horseback-breaker, this huge hill of flesh,—” 
    -Henry IV, Pt. 1

Were it not for the slightly drunk look on Shaddus's face, he would appear just as cheery as he ever was propped up in a chair on the stage. Yet the blood trickling down his neck shows that he is most surely dead, and that death came at the end of a sharp blade. After all the names that were aired the previous day, it's shocking that he - one of the last anonymous players among you - was found slain this night. And yet, his corpse most surely sits among you.

Shaddus was...

Falstaff, a comic hero.
    Sir John Falstaff! How the audiences of old clamoured for you on the Elizabethan stage! One of the most popular characters Shakespeare created, you star not only in the historical plays of Henry IV (Parts 1 & 2), but also in your own play, The Merry Wives of Windsor, where ladies compete for your grand affections. A boastful and jovial sort, you enjoy brothels, wine, and jokes at other people's expense. You spend most of your time drinking at the Boar's Head Inn with criminals and the like, despite being a knight yourself. You honestly have a reputation as a bit of a mooch, sad to say - always living on borrowed or stolen money. Tsk tsk. 

As humorous as you are as a character, however, there is a depth to you that is shown through your friendship with Prince Hal in the Henry IV plays. You care deeply for those you let into your personal life, and for that, Falstaff transcends being a jester of the stage to being a character we mourn when we learn, in Henry V, that the character has passed away. Let's hope your story has a happier ending this time.

You win when all villains are eliminated from the stage.

At the Boar's Head Inn: Another round of drinks, bartender! You can get a player drunk in the night, rendering them incapable of action. [Roleblocker Power]

---
    The players take a moment to mourn their dearly departed friend, and it is only in this moment that you take a moment to look at those among you. From the looks of things, some of you have suffered from nightmares, no doubt the result of all this grim tragedy upon the stage... And yet, no nightmare can be worse than facing another day with another valiant hero slain.

[Exeunt all, sans Shaddus]
    Daraius said:
    It is Act Four
    Scene One: Day

10 players remain on stage.

It takes the verdict of 6 people to sabotage a fellow player from the stage.

[Director's Note: You are now in MyLo]
    Daraius said:
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    SWEET OBLIVION, OPEN YOUR ARMS!
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.