The Shakespearean Mafia Game - Heroes (Town) Win!

Comments

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    edited May 2016
    Ye Olde Vote Count:

RolsandIeptix (1)

Alary: Othero, Synkarin, Rolsand , Krackenor (5) 

Othero: Alary (1)

It takes 6 votes to advance to the next scene.

By royal decree, Rolsand's vote now counts as double for the rest of the dayphase.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • You know, this mob mentality is what lost us one of us in the very beginning. Yes, I was wrong about Tremula. I'm sorry, mistakes happen. I am but a humble observer, and not everyone is perfect. Actually, no one is perfect. But, alas, some people claim to be perfect, and spotless. I would look to the one who accused me first, and their motives. Lynching me will only lose you an investigator, your only confirmed one. But. That is your choice.
    Mysrai, the Beckoner Beyond the Maze intones, "Continue to manifest the paradigm of working, My Alary."
    The Divine voice of Camus the Cinderfly echoes in your head, "Thank you, once-body. I am happy that I fell into that eye."
  • If you want to save yourself make an actual argument. Good play has to assume mistakes don't happen, everything is done as part of a plan. You were not wrong about Tremula, you lied about what you knew. Want to get me to change my vote, convince me who else is scummy right now. Otherwise I'm not changing it because lying is one of the scummiest things you can do and you can't give a good reason as to why you lied.
  • I did not lie. I worked with what information I had. If you want me to lie to you, I can. This is my first mafia game, and I didn't quite understand my power. So when someone accused Tremula of being the serial killer, I automatically assumed that the information I had was proof for that. You'll notice I didn't accuse Tremula first, someone did, and I looked at what I had investigated and said huh, that must be what it is. I think Rolsand has been pretty scummy, honestly. Activating his vote power and then swapping his votes around like he's tossing a salad. He was so painfully quiet in the beginning, which is pretty suspicious. But the moment he has even the slightest motive, he leaps like a cougar. Even if he's not mafia, he's been pretty darn scummy. Look at the behavioral patterns of others instead of punishing me for an honest mistake. I'm admitting to a mistake, that doesn't seem like something a mafia person would do. I screwed up, but, punishing me for a mistake like that? I didn't lynch Tremula alone, we all did that together. I'm not the only one at fault here. The person who first accused Tremula, and my backing of the claim, and each of us who voted to lynch her. We're all at fault, and we all made this mistake together. 

But if you absolutely must have a scapegoat, crying witch. Burn me at the stake, and my death will only hinder your cause. I am not witch, you must look elsewhere for your witch. 
    Mysrai, the Beckoner Beyond the Maze intones, "Continue to manifest the paradigm of working, My Alary."
    The Divine voice of Camus the Cinderfly echoes in your head, "Thank you, once-body. I am happy that I fell into that eye."
  • First, Rolsand looks super scummy. 100%. But I really doubt the mafia has someone with his power. It happens but it is really rare and kind of overpowered to give the mafia a double day vote. If I'm evaluating the two of you just on powers it is more believable for the mafia to have an investigator who doesn't get all of the info over a mayor (Rolsand's role). 

Second, I just can't buy "I made a mistake" as an excuse. If I did then every time they slipped up or did something that hurt the town they can just go "whoops I made a mistake" and get a pass.

I do have a question though, you said that you also investigated Krackenor. What is everything that you got from him?
  • Sylandra said:
    Ye Olde Vote Count:

RolsandIeptix (1)

Alary: Othero, Synkarin, Rolsand , Krackenor (5) 

Othero: Alary (1)

It takes 6 votes to advance to the next scene.

By royal decree, Rolsand's vote now counts as double for the rest of the dayphase.
    Don't edit your posts.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Firstly I think Othero's stance of bringing out the flaming torches and pitchforks over an admitted mistake is kinda over the top. Like Celina's 'omg you can't read' rant. Both are tending to ping my suspicions because it almost feels like looking for any excuse to strong arm a lynch. I'm not saying that is clearly the case or that I'm convinced of anyone's guilt or innocence, but I'm watching and listening with avid interest.

Before I place my vote, and forgive me if I just missed it, it is pre-caffeine time here, who did our -other- investigator research last night? 

• Your other investigator ended up looking at a hero who is not currently on the radar. For now, I'd like to keep it that way.
  • Sylandra said:
    but man, proud man,
    Dress'd in a little brief authority.
  • Lavinya said:
    Firstly I think Othero's stance of bringing out the flaming torches and pitchforks over an admitted mistake is kinda over the top. Like Celina's 'omg you can't read' rant. Both are tending to ping my suspicions because it almost feels like looking for any excuse to strong arm a lynch. I'm not saying that is clearly the case or that I'm convinced of anyone's guilt or innocence, but I'm watching and listening with avid interest.

Before I place my vote, and forgive me if I just missed it, it is pre-caffeine time here, who did our -other- investigator research last night? 
    Everyone else is free to build some evidence and make accusations. I play town aggressively because if we're not aggressive we're going to lose. You need to put pressure on people and see how they react. I also refuse to believe in mistakes in mafia. It's too easy of an excuse.

I might be wrong but I'm willing to take the risk as going after anyone else feels like it'd just be a shot in the dark to me.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Krackenor said:
    Your other investigator ended up looking at a hero who is not currently on the radar. For now, I'd like to keep it that way.
    See, my main issue with this is that I understand why you're doing it, but you're still wanting us to believe you're an investigator aligned with town who sees role name and full powers, and you've never confirmed you see full name and powers. =/

I'm also not sure that if one investigator gets name and powers and one gets name and a hint that the one with the hint is the more suspicious of the two. If we're taking the line of thinking that one's a consigliere and one's an investigator, the consigliere usually gets better information, not worse.

On top of which, you chose to investigate some random town who's not on the radar rather than Maylea or one of the people (yourself included) on the Tremula dogpile? One of those options is mafia and we know that, so why aim at someone no one's considering as a possible villain? 
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    My two cents, but I'll vote when I get home from work, last break is over.
  • Krackenor is Hamlet, and I was given that he knows more than he should. That's all. So he could be an investigator, or he could be something else. I cannot back his claim, and I'm going to be cautious after the mistake I made.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • I can't type right now, but I will say that having actually been successful in my power this time, my perception of an all powerful investigator came from Vivet last game and does not necessarily conform to all games.
    I'm hoping this isn't the end of everything, but....I think that if Alary shows up as innocent we will have some great direction. If she flips scum, it probably gives us some confirmation there too (such as Krackenor).

I think we need to move forward. I so hope you're scum Alary. And depending on her alliance depends who I will jail.

VOTE Alary

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Krackenor said:
    I can't type right now, but I will say that having actually been successful in my power this time, my perception of an all powerful investigator came from Vivet last game and does not necessarily conform to all games.
    Convenient, but we're running out of time, so Vote: Alary. We'll see what's going on after she flips.

And this is why you hit Post Comment, and not Save Draft, Luce.
    edited May 2016
    Ye Olde Vote Count:

Rolsand: Ieptix (1)

Alary: Othero, Synkarin, Rolsand, Krackenor, Lavinya, Luce (7) 

Othero: Alary (1)

What ho! That's a lynch!

---

As Alary is brought to her execution, a sickening grin spreads across her face. A tiny, yet increasingly manic laugh leaves her lips, until all pretense of heroics is stripped entirely. We see the spotlight hover upon her for a moment as she turns, one last time, to those gathered with a sneer. 

"And what's he then that says I play the villain?"

Oh, things had been going so well, hadn't they? Everyone had nodded along, been willing to condemn the innocent for guilt and blame the blameless. So gullible, all of them. Fools, every single one, whether they be as mighty as Othello, as faithful as Desdemona, or as good-natured as Cassio. Too blind to see what's right in front of their faces. Yet always, always, one sneaking suspicion can manage to collapse even the cleverest house of cards.

"So will I turn her virtue into pitch,
    And out of her own goodness make the net
    That shall enmesh them all."
    -Othello

When Alary faces the noose, she at least takes comfort in having taken Tremula's innocent life with her. Perhaps some things never truly get rewritten, after all.

Alary was...

Iago, a tragic villain.

"Thus do I ever make my fool my purse: 
    For I mine own gain'd knowledge should profane, 
    If I would time expend with such a snipe, 
    But for my sport and profit."
    -Othello

Believed by some to be Shakespeare's most dastardly villain, Iago is a role up to a delightful amount of interpretation. Using his knowledge of Othello's failings, he masterfully fabricates a story of how Othello's wife, Desdemona, is sleeping with his best friend, Cassio. With this knowledge in play, Iago only has to say the right things and drop the right hints to convince Othello to meet his terrible, untimely end. But what is Iago's motive for such cruelty? Jealousy of Othello's rise to prominence? Lust for his wife, Desdemona? Or simply an inherent desire to sow chaos and discord? It's difficult to say exactly, but what's clear is that you more than most Shakespearean villains delight in the torment of your victims. No guilt is to be found in you for your deeds. You act with cunning, always wielding knowledge to step one foot ahead of those who might cross you.

Let them dare to try.

You win when the villains oust the heroes from the stage.

Schemes and Secrets: You can investigate one of the players in your midst every night. Doing so will give you the name of the role they are playing. Use this knowledge wisely! [Investigator Power]

---

Disgust mingled with relief floods across the faces of those present as they stare at the dead villain at their feet. How easily Iago had tricked some into feeling pity for him, when he had been one of the loudest voices to encourage Katherine's heinous murder! O, foul villain indeed. And who could be his accomplices, for surely on a stage of this size, he does not work alone?

Yet the hour for such questions is ending, and night is once more close at hand.

[Exeunt all, sans Alary]
    Daraius said:
    It is Act Four
    Scene Two: Night

You have forty-eight hours to send in your night actions. Act Five will begin either when all actions are received, or the deadline is up.
    Daraius said:
    The stage lights flicker, announcing that all night actions are in! Act Five will begin shortly.
    Daraius said:
    edited May 2016
    Act Four
    Scene Two: Night 

"Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow, 
    Creeps in this petty pace from day to day, 
    To the last syllable of recorded time; 
    And all our yesterdays have lighted fools 
    The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle! 
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, 
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage, 
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale 
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, 
    Signifying nothing." 
    -Macbeth 

There's not a corpse upon the stage to be seen as this night ends. Yet an event that should be seen as a celebration somehow is perceived in cool, quiet silence. After slaying cruel Iago the day prior, it is difficult to know what is good fortune and what is simply a herald of bad fortunes to come. Is this a victory or a tactical retreat? The players try to read one another's faces for error, but there is no betrayal of emotion, no flicker of frustration, to explain away the fortuitous wind of this night. 

There is nothing for it but to raise the curtain as tomorrow creeps in, beginning Act Five and demanding answers for the night's mysteries.
    Daraius said:
    It is Act Five
    Scene One: Day

9 players remain on stage.

It takes the verdict of 5 people to sabotage a fellow player from the stage.
    Daraius said:
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    If anyone wants to volunteer they're having been doctor'd, now might be a good time.
    Indeed. There are still a few possibilities - I jailed the mafia, the mafia attacked the person I jailed, the mafia attacked me, the target was doctored/protected, the mafia did not kill...still a lot of uncertainty.

I can obviously come out guns blazing with who I blocked, but I'd really really like to hear from others. Especially if someone was doctored.

• Well, nothing happened to me last night.
  • Maylea said:
    Well, nothing happened to me last night.

What, no poem :P
  • Look carefully - you'll find pentameter.
  • As far as I can tell nothing happened to me. No messages last night.