Says in Emotes: Possible Improvement

Hi, all you lovely people of Lusternia!

For those of you who don't know me, that's because I'm rather new... at least to this game. I'm very familiar with the world of IREs, though, or at least two of them, and I have to say that I'm very impressed with this world. I definitely don't plan to disappear anytime soon! After all the amazingness that I've experienced here, though, there is ONE thing that has bothered me: the lack of a command to target says in an emote. That is, turning it blue (or whatever color you have says set on). As someone who focuses mainly on RP rather than PvP or what-have-you, this mechanic has been very important to me, as I tend to write the famous 'Walls of Text', which become a bit dizzying when all you see is a white block that pops up over your screen.

Now, in my experiences in both Aetolia and Midkemia, I've been introduced to two different ways of improving this (if, of course, it's something many of the players here want as well and want to back me up on). In Aetolia, the system automatically captures the quotation marks and turns "Blah blah blah" into a say, regardless of who or what is saying it. This, in my opinion, was one of the BEST feature I've seen of using says in emotes. And, in Midkemia, you could surround what you wanted to say in an emote with %%Blah blah blah%% and it would capture it and turn it to "Blah blah blah" in your emote, but as the say command.

Whatever is chosen to do to enhance this, I feel it would improve the game by ten fold. The reason I feel this should be improved is for many different reasons, mainly because, as I mentioned above, I'm mainly an RPer, and sending huge walls of text of all white can be a bit intimidating, even for me. Main reason, right there. Secondary reason is... well, sometimes I miss emotes, and if a say command is put into the game, chat will catch it, so I'll never miss it after all the forest busy flavor text.

I understand if all of the wonderful admin are busy with more important things. I just feel (and hope) that this is a change that will better the experience for all the role players here. I know it would mine.

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I'll admit that I almost started this post with a sarcastic sort of, "What? That's awesome, nobody has ever tried to get the admin to do that here. I wish we could do that!" sort of paragraph, but decided I'd be polite.

We've tried, they won't do it. The admin here work pretty hard, and Estarra gives us a lot of shiny things, but it's rare that we'll get something which they call "fluff", something added to the game which has no real use beyond RP. We're still trying to get the designs for windchimes, mirrors, and tinderboxes possible among other things, much less a complicated emote addition.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • But... if it's all the same base code, couldn't they ask another of the IRE games, say Aetolia, "Pretty please, we would like to copy your says in emotes code" and then maybe Aetolia would give it to them?

/wishful thinking
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
  • I wasn't aware if others had asked or not, @Shaddus. Just as someone new to this game, it's one thing that I've noticed, and it really stuck out. Just throwing ideas out, as I didn't really search every last thread to every last post to see if this had been mentiond or not.

And I wasn't saying 'copy the base codes of these games', @Parua. :P I was just stating what I personally have experienced and what I enjoyed more over the other. Just putting a bit of foundation to my point, tis all! I do agree that Lusternia, if this was implemented at some point, would need to put their own system to it.

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    It is on this same board. Most cases, when opening a new topic on forums (Especially when asking for changes/offering ideas/requesting help), it is common to first use the search feature on said forum to see if anyone has experienced the problem you're facing/has a similar idea before starting a completely new topic for discussion.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • I'll be sure to do that from now on, @Elanorwen! Sorry for the spam/unneeded thread!

• I suppose I could have just brought the old thread back to life with my initial post instead of offering up a whole new thread to pay attention to, @Xenthos. I agree with your point, though, and why I had decided to make a new thread. I didn't even really realize that there WAS an old thread, but I would have if I did enough digging around, I suppose (or just used the search bar as suggested). If the playerbase would rather me state my input on an already existing thread to reduce the amount of threads on a same subject, though, I completely understand. :) No harm done!

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Keep in my that we were warned that doing the combat Overhaul would mean everything else would be taking a back seat while they focused on recoding the entire combat system. So even great ideas like this are not a priority right now.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Everiine said:
    Keep in my that we were warned that doing the combat Overhaul would mean everything else would be taking a back seat while they focused on recoding the entire combat system. So even great ideas like this are not a priority right now.
    Keaira said:

I understand if all of the wonderful admin are busy with more important things. I just feel (and hope) that this is a change that will better the experience for all the role players here. I know it would mine.

Keaira said:
    I just ask that the large group of us who DO aren't neglected either. Even if it takes another year to be implemented, that's perfectly fine with me. As long as the desire of the playerbase is recognized, and a solution is being sought out in the near or distant future.

Like I've been attempting to say as much as how much I'd love this idea to be implemented, I do understand that the admins are focused on other things right now. I do understand that something like a combat overhaul is going to take up their time for a good long while. As someone new to this IRE, I was just hoping to bring up an idea to something I saw was missing, and this something, from what I can see, has been asked for for quite some time now - long before I decided to join and play.

The point of this thread wasn't to draw the admin's attention to demand that they drop everything that they're doing NOW to put something like this in the game. Combat overhaul is a huge thing, and by all means, I wish all of them luck with all that they have to do to work on it! It's no simple task! The point of this thread was to draw attention that 'Hey, the players of our game really seem to want this. When we get a chance, maybe we really should put something like this into Lusternia'. And judging by most of people's reactions, I hope that gets through to maybe prioritize it AFTER the combat overhaul at some point.

• I'd love it if we could take Aetolia's emote system, writ large, and make Lusternia's more similar. Not just the in-emote says, but the preparatory phrases, too.
    Haezon said:
     Think of Hallifax as less communism and more DMV city.
  • I have to say, as someone who focuses a LOT on RP, especially within the city itself, I adore this idea. I am horribly known for making my own walls of text at times....And sometimes this has to go into a 'say' since that is the only way the flavour of what I'm trying to do/say works.
  • I dunno if I'm gonna get chewed out for necro-posting, but the creator of this thread took some heat for NOT posting in an old thread instead, so whatever.

This should happen. Lusternia has such fantastic lore and conflict mechanics, but its emote system is sorely lacking, which is a huge turn-off to a hardcore RPer like me. And I can't be the only one.

To those who might call such a change 'fluff,' this is a text-based RPG. One of the most obvious reasons to play such a game instead of a graphical MMO is, to me, in-depth RP.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Probably a code-related change which means we have no idea how much time and energy it would require from the admin. If they have time and resources to do it, awesome! If not, it's probably because things are hectic admin-side and this is a low priority. I think objectively speaking people are in support of this though.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Sylandra said:
    Probably a code-related change which means we have no idea how much time and energy it would require from the admin. If they have time and resources to do it, awesome! If not, it's probably because things are hectic admin-side and this is a low priority. I think objectively speaking people are in support of this though.
    I can't imagine putting saytext in emotes would be too resource intensive, in the scheme of things, and I think it would be a *huge* improvement. Sure, it'd take some effort. That said, I don't *really* know what I'm talking about.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    You really never know with these things. Stuff that sounds easy to us might be more complicated than we imagine. It's certainly been the case before. Anyway it's a good idea, so hopefully it eventually gets implemented. We just have a limited amount of coder admin and they've been publicly swamped with a lot of combat related changes these days. Wouldn't surprise me if it was back burner material.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Shaddus said:

We've tried, they won't do it. The admin here work pretty hard, and Estarra gives us a lot of shiny things, but it's rare that we'll get something which they call "fluff", something added to the game which has no real use beyond RP.
    This is utterly baffling to me.

I'm from another IRE as well, and Lusternia's game setting/lore and the resulting richness of RP is the main thing it has going for it. I legitimately would not have stayed beyond a day if it weren't for the RP here. PvP and combat are incredibly important, for sure. But in a game like this that caters for so many different tastes in play-style, I don't understand how the admin team can afford to neglect one large audience for the sake of the other.

</rant>

tl;dr The RP here is the bomb and not providing as many tools as possible to support it is crazy.

Also I can't put enough YES here for coloured says in emotes. I will beg if I must!

• Coming from Aetolia where they had this, I still get confused when I do emotes and I dont have blue SAYS text here, I honestly dont think its a huge issue...

BUT

I am definitely for having it, just because it makes reading emotes alot more crisp.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    edited May 2016
    You know, I got to thinking about how easy it would have to be to do this on their side, 'cause of other games based off the same code base doing it, etc. Then I thought to myself, "Tark, you know, this has to be something pretty stupid simple to solve client side." And I was like, "Self, you're right." Five minutes later, I made this for Mudlet users.

It's just a single trigger. Change the highlight color to whatever you want your says to look like. I'll also toss this over in the Mechanic's corner.

Edit: It captures text between quotes a little too well. Screw it. Enjoy your single color everything!
  • +1 to this idea.