Newbie Difficulties/Troubles/Concerns

Comments

• @Salith you are not being "an ass". This is all valuable information and good points. I have my students play through the intro/novicehood every so often for feedback and they usually mention similar things. As to what happens regarding these problems/suggestion, I cannot say right now as we have our hands full with quite a few projects but I assure you we do read this (the entire forums really) and we do take notes. 
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    As a note, you can check CHARACTERS when logged into the game.  It will show you the name of any characters registered to your account.  Note that it doesn't help unless you roll up a second character, but it is an option.  Also, if you email support@lusternia.com you can get the character name from there as well!

Yes, an automated email when you namechange would also be helpful, but there are some things that you can do without that being available.
  • Martyr Yarith Shevat, M.TS, A.D.M.T.P (Male Timeless Demigod).
    He is 64 years old, having been born on the 14th of Avechary, 359 years after the Coming of Estarra.
    He is ranked 81st in Lusternia.
    He is an extremely credible character.
    He holds the position of a Regulatory Affairs Coordinator in the Institute.
    He is an Elemental Tracker in the Fellowship of Explorers.
    He is an enemy of your commune.
    He is an enemy of your guild.
    He is an enemy of your guild's associated organisation.
    He is a graduate of the Ancestral Glade of the Moonharts (honours), the Shadowmaze (honours), the 
    Empyreal Academy (honours), and the University of Cosmic Understanding (honours).
    He is a member of the clan called 'Concordant Helix.'
    He is a member of the clan called 'Primal Designs Artisanry.'
    He is the clan head of the clan called 'Fluffy Attire.'
    He is the clan head of the clan called 'Fluffy Jewels.'
    He is the clan head of the clan called 'Fluffy Design.'
    He is a member of the clan called 'Concordant Vogue.'
    He is a member of the clan called 'Concordant Fetes.'
    He is a member of the clan called 'The Harmonic Array.'
    He is a member of the clan called 'Disciples of the elder days.'
    He is a mentor and able to take on proteges.
    His motto: 'You are what you eat.'
    He is deemed a Sketcher by the Artisanal Council of Vesteran Honours.
    He is considered to be approximately 130% of your might.
    He has taken the hand of Shonjir Shevat in marriage.
    He has been divorced once.
    He is a fourth generation member of the Great House of Shevat by marriage.
    See HONOURS FULL YARITH to view his 18 special honours.

Just an example, Yes I now know demigod types etc are Org based however to a newcomer, trying to determine where exactly someone is from with this honours is near impossible. I mean look he pretty much graduated everywhere with honours, and until one has time to familiarize themselves with how each city/commune uses title (and in cases of custom titles this goes out the window), or org related types to demi/ascendants (if sub 100 and not ascended this goes out the window) they have no way to determine where someone is actually from.  However mostly useless information like what clans they are members of are prominently displayed.

He holds the position of a Regulatory Affairs Coordinator in the Institute.  <--- I had no clue what the institute was and I have been around off n on for a long time a new player most certainly would not get it.  
  • Makaela said:

He holds the position of a Regulatory Affairs Coordinator in the Institute.  <--- I had no clue what the institute was and I have been around off n on for a long time a new player most certainly would not get it.  
    Ummm.

HELP GUILDS

• You got me
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • He really, really is. :p

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• It's what bunny do
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Sometimes Yarith gets a wild hare up his rear and needs a change.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • If you use mmf you can always do Whois (person name)
  • edited August 2018
  • Hi! Not  too sure where else to post this. I just started playing Lusternia yesterday, starting off in New Celest. I'm definitely not new to IRE, but this is pretty much my first foray into Lusternia. I've met pretty awesome people in New Celest (thanks!), and I quite like the city's flavor, but I've noticed that the Celestines guild is rather ... sparse to say the least, and I've seen maybe like 1 or 2 people around on GWHO. I've heard that this is kinda the norm lately due to the impending guild Reformation for the cities. I'm a bit conflicted as whether just to switch guilds, or if I should just wait around a bit, play around with some of the times I play and see if I get lucky? The whole concept of the Celestines seems very interesting.
  • Most guilds are sparse these days, with a few exceptions.  Activity in the Celestines is notably slanted toward South East Asia time zones, which may affect your perception of guild activity.

My recommendation would be to find and stick to the guild that most interests you, regardless of guild activity, instead focusing on org activity.  Meanwhile, maintain communication with your guild leaders via messages, letters or such.  This will help ensure that you don't get overlooked.

• We're also in the middle of basically condensing guilds so people are less spread out, though we don't have a date for that yet.
  • Ven said:
    Hi! Not  too sure where else to post this. I just started playing Lusternia yesterday, starting off in New Celest. I'm definitely not new to IRE, but this is pretty much my first foray into Lusternia. I've met pretty awesome people in New Celest (thanks!), and I quite like the city's flavor, but I've noticed that the Celestines guild is rather ... sparse to say the least, and I've seen maybe like 1 or 2 people around on GWHO. I've heard that this is kinda the norm lately due to the impending guild Reformation for the cities. I'm a bit conflicted as whether just to switch guilds, or if I should just wait around a bit, play around with some of the times I play and see if I get lucky? The whole concept of the Celestines seems very interesting.
    Celestines have been fairly sparse recently (depending on timezone), which is sad, as they have some really amazing flavour and awesome lore. If you really want to join a more populated guild, go ahead and switch, but if you want to try toughing it out through the lean times, here's some stuff I found helpful as someone who joined a really tiny guild with lore I adored (Hallifax's Symphonium tends to compete with the Sentinels for smallest city guild)

- Get involved with things at the city level. Read the city news, find out who is looking for volunteers to do something, or get involved with a ministry as an aide (librarian or culture can both be great). Don't overload yourself, but try to invite people in the city along to do things when you go do them.
    - Feel free to use the CGT collegium channel to ask for help/ask questions after you graduate, if you need to ask something and no one in your guild is around. 
    - Seconding Eldanien to use messages or letters to contact your guild leaders. You may not be able to interact "face to face", but they can still answer questions, find creative ways to proctor your guild advancements, suggest places to hunt or influence, read and offer suggestions on written work, etc. 
    - Figure out what it is about IRE muds that you enjoy most, what keeps you playing, and throw yourself into it. Invite people to join you, but try to manage your expectations and don't be too disappointed if sometimes you're off on your own.
    - There's a lot of really rich lore to areas that you can learn by exploring on your own, talking to NPCs, and reading stuff in the library.

One of the nice things about being in a small guild is that it can be easier to get noticed and make a name for yourself if you're active and responsive.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Is there a reason we don't give newbies free journals by anymore? Journals were always good things for me when I was new since I'd fill them up with info bits that I could read over at a glance and bookmark around the page that was most relevant. And when you're an old, old character, it's always fun to check your newbie writing again.

Like, was there a memory issue or something? You don't even need to mention it, just provide it as another free resource for them to ask about/figure out on their own.

• They wanted to make bookbinders more relevant
  • Vivet said:
    Is there a reason we don't give newbies free journals by anymore? Journals were always good things for me when I was new since I'd fill them up with info bits that I could read over at a glance and bookmark around the page that was most relevant. And when you're an old, old character, it's always fun to check your newbie writing again.

Not to mention that books are expensive and many guilds like to get their essays/poems/plans for world domination to be submitted in writing, for advancement.
  • How credit heavy is Lusternia? In one of my posts people talked about the Spark artifact for racials, and after I looked it up its $300. I dont mind sinking some money into a game I like but Im just not cool with having to sink hundreds of dollars just to get to a basic even playing field. Are there classes that can be proficient without sinking huge sums of money in?
  • edited July 2017
    You do not need the spark to be competitive.

There is a sort of bare min I'd say is required to be effective. Depending on the class you'll most likey need a few trans class skills. Some classes can get by with less, like warrior can really do well with just their weaponry transed and not full ath/terts.

You need to go a little into most of the common skills to get some nearly needed defenses or utility but if I was on a tight budget this is the min/max of what I'd get:

A little bit into combat is good for parry. 178 lessons.

Discernment: depends on your class and tert set up as some classes require the use of assess, contemplate or discern. For example Wiccans need a way to tell the targets mana but if your a wiccan healer you dont really need discernment at all because you have healing succor which does the same job. Variable from like a few hundred to near trans.

Discipline: getting metawake and focus seems very important. About 300ish lessons.

Environment up to tumble. 600ish lessons (or I'd go furrikin bash to demi and get roll for free.)

So yea if I wanted to go super cheap I could be for example a furrikin warrior.

Trans weaponry 1715 lessons
    Mostly ignore the secondary and tert skills, maybe throw a bit in. (I'd maybe got totems warrior for cheap access to a bunch of very useful stuff like leap and scent, thats just a few hundred lessons)
    Wouldn't need any combat because knighthood comes with parry.
    Throw about 300 into discipline.

So you could have a character with that set up that kills almost as good as the top artifacted warrior around. You'll not be as tanky as the top artifact folks but you'll have an offense not that far off what they have.

EDIT: So thats the guts of 2000-2500 lessons which you could get for twenty dollars and the in game leveling credits I think.

• I was thinking of an Acro Monk so Id get better defenses than furrkin, and maybe tattoos, but Im unsure how many artifacts Id need for that.
  • You don't really need any artifacts. Extra damage runes will help a bit in group combat and resistance stuff as well will let you survive well enough.

A monk with trans their main skill, acrobatics and a few other bits and bobs like assess and a few quality of life skills and you'll be fairly effective.

I mean as a monk I did alright and the only offensive artifact I had was the balance +1 rune and damage increase runes.

Solo you don't kill with damage so the damage buffs are entirely for group help. Faster balance is nice but its only 2% quicker and as a monk the way boosting works balance buffs dont effect their burst as much as other classes.

The Monk weapon runes seem a bit junky and I never bothered using any of them.

Trans your monk skill plus acrobatics, understand how your skills works and you'll be good.
  • I think it also depends on what you want to do in the game. If you want more than basic combat, like say design/craft/trade, or influencing, or bashing, or QOL utility stuff, or aetherhunting (or aetherflares)... those are all their own things too. Honestly, I found it pretty overwhelming. Everyone was like, "Why don't you have this skill transed yet? OMG you still don't have that ability?" and it did get pretty frustrating. I've heard numerous other new players get really put off by that, to the point that they don't continue playing. Others might keep going but are really confused as to where they should be focused. IMHO, the complexity of Lusternia is a double-edged sword. It can be intriguing, but without really clear guidance, it can also be overwhelming.
  • Iawa said:
    Hiya folks. I don't know if I am a true newbie or not... I played Achaea roundabout 8-10 years ago, and just this past month I thought I would give IRE MUDs another go as I've remembered them so fondly for so long. I tried playing Achaea again, but it didn't stick. Back then I had played Lusternia once or twice, but it never really stuck for me. This time around, I'm completely hooked.

That being said, there are a couple of things which confused me to all heck and back after I got spit out of the tutorial:

1) You start out of the portal with a bunch of teardop sigils, pipetanks, and other items that you have no idea what are for or what to do with. I still don't know what half of these things do
    2) The lamp that you start with apparently has a larger number of answers than I had experienced. I believe there were about 5 questions that I could ask the lamp and then I didn't realize it had more questions if you continue to rub the lamp after you ask all five of those questions
    3) I had a huge number of herbs in my rift that I knew nothing about and when I tried to find out what they were for in the HELP CURINGLIST or the HELP HEALINGLIST file (can't remember which), they didn't even show up in there. I spent around thirty minutes today trying to sort out what kind of herbs/vials I would need since I'd like to do combat at some point, and I'm more than certain I've still got it wrong.

That being said, I want to say thank you to everyone I've met thus far. Where the introduction to Lusternia falls short, everyone I've met flushes it out more than I could imagine. I'm having a ton of fun learning this game, and I hope I get to play with all of you at some point.

Cheers!

Edit: Shamelessly necroing a half year old thread.
    Welcome! It's been a while since I went through/paid attention to the intro myself, but I know at one point post-overhaul it was in a bit of a state, and Admin did some work last year to improve it. I'm sure they appreciate your feedback!

On the other hand, the player orgs should probably do a better job of bridging that gap, making sure you have all the info you need to make sense of the stuff you got. I know some things and some orgs do parts of it well, but I admit I didn't understand teardrop sigils until someone explained them to me 1 on 1 (thanks @Aramel !). 

Glad to have you playing with us! If you have more questions, please feel free to reach out, city aether or just about anyone in Hallifax - we're generally helpful people but sometimes it's hard to know how much help a person needs or wants! Feel free to reach out to me any time, you can always use position in the city as a reason to seek someone out!
  • @iawa feel free to ask in the NEWBIE channel with NEWBIE <question> or to just ask your ORG people. A lot of us love RP with a newer person, and really are fine with answering questions.
    THough I think the mods will appreciate feedback here as well.
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• This thread is set as an Announcement, so definitely continue using this for feedback. It may not be something we can address now or today, but we do keep renewing discussions on how to help new players integrate better and feedback helps a lot with this effort.