Portfolio d'Vanecu, an art dump

Hello, IRE friends!

I'm Gav, and I draw pictures. To celebrate yet another return to Lusternia, I've thrown together some recent art for the sake of fun. I've always meant to create an art thread of my own, but I'm also very lazy and difficult to motivate. I do almost all of my work digitally using a medium-sized Wacom tablet and Paint Tool SAI. I rarely finish pictures, so I've kind of embraced the sketchiness of my work.

Though I do character art for quite a few different games I play, for now I'm going to keep this Lusternia-focused. Please feel free to post your questions, comments, and inquiries here or to me privately. It always means a lot to me to hear a kind word. My personal art blog can be found here. Hopefully it's kosher to provide outside links.

Enjoy!

Discord: Gal#1391

Comments

• Absolutely gorgeous lines, I'm really envious! Couple of questions from an aspiring digital artist to a digital art badass...

I've heard quite a bit about paint tool SAI, but my personal weapon of choice has always been OpenCanvas. Is there a particularly large learning curve, and do you think it would be worth my while to make the effort? If you have any familiarity with OC, do you think SAI has any particular advantages over it?

How long does it take you to put together a drawing like one of these, roughly? Your linework looks so effortless and really organic, is there much trial and error involved, or do you just try to keep and work with whatever happens?

Thank you so much for sharing your talent, these are hugely inspiring. <3
  • Cen said:

Absolutely gorgeous lines, I'm really envious! Couple of questions from an aspiring digital artist to a digital art badass...

I've heard quite a bit about paint tool SAI, but my personal weapon of choice has always been OpenCanvas. Is there a particularly large learning curve, and do you think it would be worth my while to make the effort? If you have any familiarity with OC, do you think SAI has any particular advantages over it?

How long does it take you to put together a drawing like one of these, roughly? Your linework looks so effortless and really organic, is there much trial and error involved, or do you just try to keep and work with whatever happens?

Thank you so much for sharing your talent, these are hugely inspiring. <3</p>

! I think my heart just exploded, no lie. You're very sweet! I definitely prefer the energy of sketched lines to a more professional, even outline. I know other artists can do absolute wonders with a more contained line but when I try to replicate the look, it just ends up feeling so clinical to me. Definitely not my forte.

As for SAI vs OC? I've worked with Opencanvas a little, but not recently. I remember liking the flow of the pen with it and the way it reacted to pen sensitivity. I think I also preferred the variety of tools it came with by default, but I remember finding the custom pen tool to be a bit clunky. I don't know how much of it can be owed to simply becoming a better artist and consistently working with one program, but I definitely prefer SAI. I find it more intuitive, but your mileage may vary.

The length of a drawing obviously depends on the subject and size, how inspired I am and how familiar I am with a subject. The first picture I posted of Gavriel probably took me 1-2 hours. In comparison, the picture of Vatul probably took me 3-4, and I personally feel that Vatul came out a bit sloppier.

When I work, there's a lot of trial and error involved. I do a ton of flipping and rotating the canvas, selective masking of lines I don't like, and liberal use of additional layers and ctrl+z until everything feels right. 'Right' is kind of a nebulous idea in this case. I just need the lines to not interfere with each other terribly.

I really appreciate the kind word, Cen. It means a lot to me to think I've inspired you. <3 Please let me know if you've ever got more questions or would like some more in-depth details. I'll do my best to give you a coherent answer.
  • Nice Au Ra! (At least I assume that's what it is.)

Your pieces are very lovely, and you manage to portray faces and details quite excellently without tons of lines, and it really is a pleasing effect. Bravo!
  • Thank you very much for your kind words! It means a lot to me that you'd call them lovely, Tarukhan.

He is an Au Ra, yes! One of my Balmung toons, though I don't play much these days. I'm experimenting with colour for this one. If it turns out well, I'll post the finished product with the same not-Lusternia disclaimer.
  • Credit where credit is due! Art is a skill that is hard-won, and it takes a lot of time and effort to get to an appreciable stage. The very least I could do is compliment you in return for your generous sharing of eye-candy.

Ah, lovely! I'm on Balmung as well, though I too don't play all that much. Lack of a free company will do that. I'm looking forward to the coloured piece! I am going to guess that he's a...Raen?
  • Nop!

I run with a group of tribal malqir refugees, so xaela. I'd make a free company recommendation, but I just don't play enough to be familiar enough with any of them.
  • Ahhh that's beautiful!!

Are you using SAI to colour as well?
  • Thank you, Cen!

I am! I'm especially fond of the acrylic brush packaged with the software. You can probably tell. The painted effect is really satisfying to me.
  • you're good! and I don't say this lightly.

@Cen -practice with pencil and paper to the point where your lines are effortless and organic. Then it's just a matter of adapting to the medium. Digital or otherwise.
    is dead like the dodo
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    Portius is so old. I think he's probably the only voluntarily old player in Lusternia except maybe Everiine.

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I'm going to have to commission Trem and Portius together now, just so other people can realise the stark hilarity that is their marriage's public image. 
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Just uh.. Just saying. Hay ;) 

• Gavriel said:

September's artisanal. I'm really proud of how this turned out. I can't help but post it here for those that may not want to wade through Lusternia's main website. I'm really looking forward to October's release.
    "What gifts should I give Gavriel?" "Booze." "A Demagogue doesn't want booze." "YES HE DOES LIKE FIFTY BOTTLES"

• That's true, Pectus. If you could just start brewing some kind of bathtub moonshine for him to wallow in, that would be great.
  • edited December 2016
    I haven't been on as much as I'd like lately. Health and family nonsense has kept me away from the game and much inspiration, but I have some things I've been working on, on and off.

I'll put them here, because I like to share.

Character art of a new tabletop character I've been working on.

• So beautiful! Still would love to pay for a commission if you ever do them!!!
  • Breandryn said:
    So beautiful! Still would love to pay for a commission if you ever do them!!!
    I appreciate that! I'm too preoccupied to think of it right now, but I'll definitely make you aware if my schedule opens up.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    Necro'ing to inquire about commission-taking status!

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• Impressive...