the Expedition - a Pokémon Mafia game. (GAME OVER. SYLANDRA WINS. TOWN WINS.)

Comments

• Lol, I haven't been chatty about my win condition because people have been trying to kill me over it. See: Portius. 
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    That's not really a good explanation, Cyndarin. But I'm sure you've realised you don't need to be providing a good one.

After all, my very actions imply you are not the Chosen, nor Melali. You are but instruments in the cause.

The third member of what I feel is my certain-three? The one I have been leaving out?

They are That Which I Cannot Say.

• I've only got two people right now that I'm absolutely certain aren't cult, but Melali? Melali is... unlikely. Jailblocker protection alone.

I won't lie that I've been wondering where he's gone, though. @Melali, you alive?

Seriously, everyone who isn't Vivet, please start talking again. It's okay.
  • Yeah, I'm fairly confident in @Melali, since anytime they jail a person they're immune to night actions, which has been demonstrated. And enough people have verified the jailing that we can trust that the power exists in the first place. Jailor is possibly the towniest power out there, so I guess it's possible to have a mafia jailor but I think it highly unlikely in the grand scheme of things.
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
  • And if Vivet is trying to throw suspicion on Melali for reasons they cannot disclose, that goes beyond slightly suspicious to flabbergastingly suspicious, IMO. Not to mention the dodge where if Melali or Cyndarin turn up not-cult, well, they're 'just tools.'
  • Vivet said:
    I told you all I was convinced of a three-person group minimum. Two of those that compose this foundation are Melali and Cyndarin. You are investigating some of the issues with Cyndarin, but what bothers me most and continues to bother me is the lack of clarity in how we can help him achieve his goal. We can't wrest the types he still needs from him - he did offer that he needed the dragon type, but as I pointed out Deino being a dragon type he exclaimed, "Oh! I forgot!" as though to suggest he hasn't really been paying that much attention to it, or really cares to.

I don't doubt Cyndarin once had this as a goal. It's just been forgotten and cast aside now.

Melali would be more difficult to explain, but it would be important to consider when he stopped being the relatively cheery, leader-like figure he started as, and began to get "cagey", as some people have stated. He has gotten more reclusive with time unless called out, and we haven't heard anything of Deino in ages.

I have to wonder if Deino has evolved. It takes a long time for Deino to evolve, generally, but Zwelious, and then Hydregion should be significantly more powerful. If he acquired a new skill through them that would be helpful to town, surely it would be reported, no?

Melali, please tell us if Deino has evolved at all or not.

Deino has evolved, but Zweilous's power is not beneficial to Town. I was trying to keep quiet about it, in the hopes that the threat of Intimidate would make people think twice about using a day action. Anyway, the new ability of Zweilous is Twister, which switches the Pokemon of three random trainers, other than me. I think we can all agree that that is a power that we do not want used. I already mentioned this to Cen last night, to get her opinion on whether or not I should mention this today (since we could have traded the Pokemon back). 

The main reasons I've been talking less is that a) I don't have any new hard information and b) I really don't want to go through the effort of combing through hundreds of posts for a Town/Mafia determination that might not be true anymore. No offense Tremula, but I think a 27 person game that is so complicated is not a good idea.

Anyway, the list of the people I've jailed: Ileein, Sylandra, Phoebus, Kalaneya, Dylara, Lehki, Cen. I tried to jail Thul in between Kalaneya and Dylara, and the jailing of Lehki was the redirect after targeting Cen. There's also the night that we skipped, so remember that.
  • I'm still of the opinion that the cult revelation should be ignored for the time being. Focus on those that hadn't been cleared in previous days in the hope we grab the leader
  • It keeps coming back to Vivet for me. Suspicious before, suspicious now. I suspect that this convoluted can't talk about it thing is a plot to draw attention to herself, a lower-value target, on a mission-critical night... but I think it's also thematically likely that she's the cult recruiter and trying to double-bluff everyone.

Anyone else ready to roll the dice and whip out the Lunatone?
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    As Alec emerges from below decks with bloodshot eyes, wiping his hands on a dark red towel -- that is picked up the moment he drops it -- and talking quietly into his Pokegear, he seems to ignore you all as he walks to the railing and continues the conversation, no laughter or otherwise happy energy coming from him. After he hangs up, Ileein excuses himself quietly and moves to stand next to him, leaning against the rail as well. While you can't hear them, a pattern of Ileein talking a great deal before Alec returns a few words, maybe a full sentence, at him emerges. Ten, then twenty, thirty minutes...an hour...finally Ileein pats the boy gently on the shoulder and the Champion turns and walks with him to the trading machine.

You all look at him confusedly, the conversation having dulled to non-important mentions of the recent storms and dreams, but he ignores you as he passes Alec his pokeball. Much faster than the other trades, Alec finishes his typing. He pulls a pokeball from his own belt and places it on the machine's podium before placing Ileein's on the opposite. After Solrock and Corsola have swapped sides of the screen, he returns one pokeball to Ileein and the other to Sylandra, who Disappears it while the machine begins printing out a new card.

Ileein has traded his Corsola for Solrock. No more trades may be completed until otherwise stated.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Aww. Hang in there bro. I think I've got a stress ball here somewhere...
    The machine blips happily as it spits out the finished trainer card, which Alec hands to Ileein with the faint impression of a smile on his face. 

Trades are now available again. Play continues as normal.

• I have no idea how to respond to Vivet. :/ "I don't want to die," is about the best possible explanation anyone can give. My pokedex power has been confirmed 87 different ways.

• Nobody has any idea how to respond to Vivet.
  • Incidentally, the Solrock functions as advertised-- one free insta-day per three days. And anyone who cares to pick up Corsola will see that it, too, functions as advertised.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    I know of a way to respond.

Vote Vivet

I do think it's very weird that Cyndarin has somehow deflected every night attack so far, but if the rest of Vivet's thing hinged on Melali being a cultist, when Melali's self-jailing at night protects them pretty thoroughly from outside threats, eh, yeah. I'm done listening. He's probably the only person you could point a finger at currently and not have me believe it might be true. So I'm back to Vivet. 

(P.S. - Sorry if any of my wording is goofy, I've read over this about 5 times and still can't tell. My new medication is making my brain feel like it's a brick falling in slow motion.)
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Ileein, don't use Solrock tonight, please. We need the autopsy. Currently I'm thinking Ssaliss might be a good one, to (hopefully) settle if he'd been converted or not. Would tell us the most out of our current options. Depends on how the lynch death flips and plays out though today, if the target actually leaves a corpse that could be better. 

Part of me is tempted to say skip the night so we possibly skip a conversion, but then we'd just be back to another day with the same questions, and unless you use it instantly there's always the chance scum got actions in before you anyway. Man, Investigator with instant day was a great power combo...
  • Yep. I was on the fence too-- skipping day does mean we don't lose any more Town, but it also means we don't get ahold of any more information than we have, which is clearly insufficient. I will note that grabbing Solrock makes me a more tempting target for recruitment than before; my power isn't exactly compelling and Corsola isn't too useful to scum, but nightskip is fantastically useful to them if they can time it right. So keeping that in mind going forward.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    For what it's worth, I went through the past few pages to work out who @Vivet suspects as the Chosen. I'm not sure I believe anything she's saying, but I think I've at least narrowed down what she's trying to imply.

Vivet told me that she had not expressed suspicion towards the person that she thinks is the Chosen. during this day phase. Presumably that breaks one of the alleged restrictions.

Assuming that we share similar definitions of suspicion (and we may not, there were some that I thought were questionable there), then we can rule out the following people: Phoebus, Othero, Thul.

We can also rule out two people because Vivet thinks they're recruits: Cyndarin, Melali.

That leaves: Portius, Krackenor, Dylara, Cen, and Ileein.

Vivet did address Ileein directly, but I had trouble deciding if she's consider suspicion. So maybe remove Ileein from that list, maybe not. Vivet might be able to clarify this one.

If we assume that Luce could not pair the Chosen with a town, then we know that Krackenor is safe because he matched with Ssaliss, who was confirmed town by death flip.

So if Vivet is being honest about chat restrictions, then she's trying to imply that one of the following people is the recruiter/chosen: Portius, Dylara, Cen, Ileein. And we might be able to eliminate Ileein from that list. Possibly other people if I've missed investigation or matching results somewhere.

Now, I can't say if this is actually valuable or not. Vivet admitted that she's strongly suspecting, but not going off of mod confirmation. Which seems weird to me with chat restrictions, but I guess it's possible. But if you do choose to trust Vivet, you pick a random person in that set and have a 25% chance of hitting the Vivet's suspect. 33% if you're in the set yourself, since you know your own alignment. If Vivet can show up and clarify suspicion such that Ileein is eliminated from the set, it goes up to 33% for an outsider and 50% for the members. This assumes that I didn't see suspicion where Vivet didn't intend any.

That having been said, I want to emphasize that I'm not sure I trust anything Vivet says. But if you do trust it and you didn't want to sort through a bunch of posts, this is what she seems to be implying.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
    I've thought a little more and would like to refine my above post.

Question @Vivet: Please tell me if you accept my assumptions in this post as truthful or not.

Dylara's autopsy listed me as the killer of Kaimanahi, a confirmed scum. If I assume that Vivet is taking that as proof that I'm not scum, or that the Chosen is not also a killer, then you can take me off the list.

If we assume that confirmation of me killing scum confirms me as town, and we assume that the mafia wouldn't want to confirm a killer as town (as opposed to framing me as their last killer, or as a second serial killer) or that Vivet would think that, then we can take Dylara off the list.

Which means Vivet is implying Cen or Ileein as the Chosen.

Given that Ileein has listed Cen as visiting Lehki to give his pokemon experience on day 3, and there whole thing with Cyndarin, Cen, and Allyrianne during Night 4, I'm guessing that Vivet is aiming at Cen and not Ileein. That is a pair of sightings of Cen giving XP to pokemon belonging to people that Vivet either knows (Lehki) or suspects (Cyndarin) of being scum.

I think we've largely discounted the Night 4 sighting on the basis of flavor text details, but flavor text is so easy to misinterpret that I'm not longer willing to take it as either confirming or denying much of anything. Of course, the interpretation that rules it out also depends on testimony from Cen and Cyndarin. Assuming Vivet thinks Cyndarin is a convert (as Vivet admitted) and suspects Cen as the Chosen, those statements don't exactly mean much to her.

So I guess give Vivet a chance to comment on my assumptions, and then either lynch Vivet (If you think she's lying), lynch Cen (if you think she's telling the truth and has drawn good conclusions) or lynch Cyndarin (Also tests Vivet's assessment, but lower risk/reward due to not being pure town, but also not being a suspect for the Chosen.)
  • Portius said:

So if Vivet is being honest about chat restrictions, then she's trying to imply that one of the following people is the recruiter/chosen: Portius, Dylara, Cen, Ileein. And we might be able to eliminate Ileein from that list. Possibly other people if I've missed investigation or matching results somewhere.

Ssaliss said:

That's odd. I also dreamt of maritime corpses (also both Alec and Sylandra being impaled by a sword)... Anyway, I can confirm that Cen works for the Pokemon Daycare, and there was nothing suspicious to be found in the room. Cabin. Something.

--------------------------------------

Stupid broken phone quotes. But that was back on paaaaage... 113, for anyone who want to make sure.
    Alright, so that's Cen off the list. I guess that means Vivet is pointing at Ileein, or one of my assumptions about what she's claiming is wrong. Or it's just an incoherent mess designed to confuse and mislead.
  • Portius said:
    Alright, so that's Cen off the list. I guess that means Vivet is pointing at Ileein, or one of my assumptions about what she's claiming is wrong. Or it's just an incoherent mess designed to confuse and mislead.
    She might be, in which case we're quite right to be deeply suspicious of her-- I've been nothing but forthright with regard to requests for further information, and all of my assertions, where later tested, have been found true. But to be honest you got more out of Vivet's stuff than I did, and I'm willing to see if Vivet wants to pop back in and provide any further thoughts before coming to a decision. Though we don't have that much more time.
    Oh, not much time is a thing. I forgot because it's not in the current thread title. I was going to wait on Vivet to post this in case it changes things, but I'm going to go for it now in case I don't have time to think things over before tomorrow.

I'm going to assume that cult conversion shows up on death, so Ssaliss was reliable the whole time. If we can't trust death reveals, we're basically lynching at random because we can't trust most information. I'm also going to assume that Luce would not be able to pair the Chosen with a town or 3rd party. Maybe not with scum until he declared a team, for that matter.

With that in mind, I'm taking Othero and Cen as confirmed town because of Ssaliss' investigations, and Phoebus and Krackenor as confirmed town by being paired with confirmed towns. Maybe the Chosen can cheat matchmaking or investigation, but we're also basically picking at random if those info sources are invalid. I'm assuming a workable setup.

I'm treating myself as confirmed town because I have perfect knowledge of my own alignment. Y'all can decide on me for yourselves.

I'm going to rule out Melali and Thul for two reasons. First, their powers are almost never scum-aligned, and we've confirmed them pretty well at this point. Second, a game with a scum-aligned self-protecting jailer or where a scum mayor got Gardevoir is gonna be basically unwinnable anyway. I'm going to play on the assumption that this setup isn't completely borked. I might be wrong, but we might as well surrender now if one of them is the Chosen in addition to other things. They aren't confirmed in the same sense as the others, but I think we have to assume that they're town.

That leaves four people: Ileein, Vivet, Dylara, and Cyndarin. I am willing to lynch any of them. I think Dylara is less likely than the others and would prefer to avoid her, but I'll lynch if that's where people want to go. I think you could make a roughly equal case for any of the others, pending other info coming in later.

It's a one in four chance of getting the recruiter. There's no strong evidence for any of them, but there's a decent amount of evidence for everyone else being innocent. I don't think we'll get any better. So unless some other revelation happens soon, I'll support killing any of them and trust our 25% chance. I don't think we'll get anything better. If you think my givens are wrong, now is the time to point that out. I don't claim infallibility, but I think this is pretty reasonable relative to my assumptions.
    I'm sorry, I'm super tired right now and I'm not entirely sure how to answer you properly, Portius.

Regarding you, we've had a pretty stable track record of your activities and the reality that you can, indeed, kill. I generally find your reasoning and motivations sound. If anything might bother me about you, it would be the recent amnesia bout. Unless we have a new source of amnesia floating around, this seems to imply that either Thul is the source and is lying, that you didn't suffer from amnesia and lied, or... well, depending on how exactly Twister works and what exactly "switching pokemon" entails, it is possible that a use of Twister may have influenced who was protected by Gardevoir last night.

I don't see you as being the Chosen or a convert unless you are very fresh, and generally accept your townhood.

I've been kind of suspect over the whole Kaimanahi autopsy thing. I think someone else commented on it earlier, but I really did an inward groan when Dylara was posting that herself instead of having it show up in a mod message.

Part of what would have really confirmed it as her power, in my opinion, is that an autopsy report would show up via mod post when she said she'd actually use it. It would be a pretty huge coincidence if she guessed it just so, when the only other autopsy report in existence has been the one done on me.

But since she was posting it... like, is there any reason to believe it wasn't just made up by herself? I have to admit, I really don't like this apparent sudden adjustment to the power.

Looking over it, though, I can kind of get a feel for how Tremula might have composed it. It's hard to describe - certain word choices and the like, and the general tone.

I've just kind of been crossing my fingers with Dylara ever since and hoping she's not another one. I really don't know.

On the subject of Ileein, the only reason I'd have much reason to suspect him is that he is yet another information digging role. We are just chock full of them, with most all of them appearing to be in town's favour. I've been trusting him mostly due to his openness since his reveal and readiness for involvement.

And as for Krackenor, I've kind of felt like he could be a convert due to his absolute insistence that block + no death = guilt, particularly when you consider the real scarcity of death there's been otherwise. But then again, it still fits in with his typical personality, and it might just be chalked up to persistence on that end. And given Ssaliss' reveal, I'm also granting him leeway on that front.

• I've been pretty grumpy about the autopsy bit myself but it's the hand I've been dealt in this game. Do you guys want me to do lehki tonight or would you guys prefer whoever is lynched today?

I'm not really sure on who to vote for or who rubs me the wrong est right now, I've been pretty distracted by real life events so sorry I haven't been super chatty today.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

Additionally, Portius, I will submit this for your consideration.

http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Godfather

I will point out that though I started as the leader of a cult, I was still entirely susceptible to investigation. Iosion picked up on me immediately, and placed me in an unavoidable situation in broad daylight alongside Synkarin. With all the forms of investigation in this game, it makes it very hard for any scum to slip by.

Why would anyone assume that the Chosen might not possess some form of immunities?

I think you will find that hoping to glean more information from the night at this point in the game may be largely fruitless. If you lean on this as your sole method of finding the Chosen, then I expect by sensible balance mechanics that you are almost assured to fail.

Dylara said:
    I've been pretty grumpy about the autopsy bit myself but it's the hand I've been dealt in this game. Do you guys want me to do lehki tonight or would you guys prefer whoever is lynched today?

I'm not really sure on who to vote for or who rubs me the wrong est right now, I've been pretty distracted by real life events so sorry I haven't been super chatty today.
    I don't think "who" matters so much as that the report is posted by Alec again, if you can arrange for it.

edited August 2016
    ATTN: PLAYERS.

DUE TO THE MOD SUFFERING A SEVERE ASTHMA ATTACK RECENTLY, THE GAME DAY IS EXTENDED BY TWO IRL DAYS, SO THAT THE MOD MAY RECOVER. PLEASE USE THE ADDITIONAL TIME JUDICIOUSLY! 

NEW END TIME IS 2/9 (Friday, the second of September, at midnight EST) AND WILL BE IN TITLE.

• Vivet said:

And as for Krackenor, I've kind of felt like he could be a convert due to his absolute insistence that block + no death = guilt, particularly when you consider the real scarcity of death there's been otherwise. But then again, it still fits in with his typical personality, and it might just be chalked up to persistence on that end. And given Ssaliss' reveal, I'm also granting him leeway on that front.

Not so much that it equals guilt, but I do believe that it merits explanation. Admittedly, it hasn't been foolproof, but neither has it out horribly either; I pushed Lehki, and he flipped scum, and I pushed Kaimanahi, and she too was not friendly.
  • ...but neither has it turned out horribly this game. God that's a terrible sentence.