Overdone

Comments

• I like my boob Dracnari :(
  • Boob dracnari are just for mudsex
  • Andii said:
    Sorry no @kilee people can speak fae words no problem and there isn't a mechanical way to learn fae. So if someone hears people in delport say french words they should be allowed to "learn" the language if they want to. It doesn't make anyone a snowflake because they want to do that. Something I think is over done? RP Police
    You can "learn" the language insofar as being able to use some of the words that are being used by NPCs in the game but how do you "learn" words that nobody else in the game world knows?
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    You can't look at Delport and say, "Oh, they use French words. I guess the entirety of French is Delportian, and I can use all my French!" And it's not even being RP police because if you search the forums here, you'll find the posts by the Admins who say specifically that it's not a direct correlation. The -only- Delportian we know are the specific words used by the NPC's. That's it.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Just stand around them and pretend (rp) you're learning the language. IRL the mobs would have conversations without players prompting them.
  • @Everiine please show me, the link, or it's just something players claim divine say.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    It was a while ago. Think it might have been Eventru? It has definitely been said though.

I mean, I get where you're coming from, but people telling you French isn't Delportian isn't them just raining on your parade. We've been told it's not, so it's best to not presume and only stick to the words used in Delport. You know what would be embarrassing? Talking French to a Delport NPC who then says they don't understand a word you say or that you're speaking gibberish. Safe to stick with what is known in regards to language!

• I mean if your character starts speaking to Falmiis in French don't be surprised/offended if he starts treating your character like they are an idiot/insane. Also don't be surprised if your role points end up being docked.
  • I've seen two people speak french. I've seen 0 people be role docked.
    Your numbers today are:
  • Kilee said:
    I've seen two people speak french. I've seen 0 people be role docked.
    It depends on who's watching and if warnings are made you've crossed a line. It's pretty rare.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• Also, Ae is like... unpronounceable by mortals. Hundreds of years and I still can't pronounce my epithet correctly :P
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Trying to figure out the Fae tongue rules is part of the fun when reading Histories/event posts!

Where does crow tongue(the actual words in-game used by the Blacktalon/Glomdoring) fall, @Maylea?
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Isn't Crow Tongue entirely player-made? Like I vaguely remember people talking about how they'd just put letters and apostrophes in a say and then send the person a tell explaining what they'd said.

• Andii said:
    Boob dracnari are just for mudsex

Now you're just being unfair; she does drugs and alcohol too.

You could say I'm

OVERDONE

• Saran said:
    Isn't Crow Tongue entirely player-made? Like I vaguely remember people talking about how they'd just put letters and apostrophes in a say and then send the person a tell explaining what they'd said.
    I was told it was a joint thing between admin and player at the time it was created.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Andii said:
    Boob dracnari are just for mudsex
    You say that like it's a bad thing.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    @Maylea sorry to ping you again, but would it ever be possible for some diaries of various people throughout the villages commonly known to have non-English language inserts to be 'discovered' and published through libraries? It would give people much more scope of the dialect they use without hoping beyond hope for extended interaction, and would prevent the hearsay and falling off in credibility as the list gets spread through the playerbase. 
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Or we could stick to English so people don't have to use google to hold a conversation >_>
    Your numbers today are:
  • I don't think google is an IC device to help you translate, especially since we know that it's not actually just the language itself.
  • Well some people (for some reason) say if it's in a library (like the Soulless wars) you can just say it's common knowledge. So the random french would become "common knowledge".
    Your numbers today are:
  • Assuming your character found said book and read it, sure. I'd make them prove they even found the book to learn from, might be more entertaining.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    @Kilee there are multiple people who are ESL playing the game, and it was/is an incredibly fashionable affair to drop Delportian when you're in your salon with your Lady friends. I'm fairly sure everyone knows the few key phrases 'mon dieu!' 'monsieur' 'mademoiselle', 'chéri', etc. Holding entire conversations in French is something that was just clearly said was not intended to happen, but having a commonplace list of phrases to include when you want to roleplay someone who was born and raised in Delport would be a lot better than guessing at French phrases you think are common.

Someone comes out of the portal babbling in full French? "My, what a strange Delportian dialogue you have. Here, this is a diary from Mademoiselle Delportlady that is a fair representation of village's dialogue. Are you from just over the mountains?" You give them a chance to further develop their character, you initiate RP, and you have in no way been inconvenienced other than having to use the library system for 10 seconds.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • edited September 2016
    edit
    Your numbers today are:
  • Everiine said:
    You can't look at Delport and say, "Oh, they use French words. I guess the entirety of French is Delportian, and I can use all my French!" And it's not even being RP police because if you search the forums here, you'll find the posts by the Admins who say specifically that it's not a direct correlation. The -only- Delportian we know are the specific words used by the NPC's. That's it.

I remember when the Celestian stable master came out, he used French words. And he gave me this fantastic explanation about Delportian language. Yes they have some french words, but only accent words.  So a character claiming to be Delportian and using the occasional french word, learned from Delportian denizens is okay. But a character claiming to be Delportian and knowing full French paragraphs would be weird.

• Though that was one explanation from a veeery long time ago. Others I've seen is that it's possible humans brought it in like the dirty little disease carriers they are, but only some of the language stuck around :tongue: Unconfirmed, of course.

• Everiine said:
    That's why trills with hair are abominations. Conform, damnit!
    If you scalp a trill, does the resulting scalp have hair on it?
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    edited September 2016
    Et tu, Tridemon?
  • In terms of Crow tongue, I honestly don't know. That would be a question better directed at the Glomdoring admin. My instinct is to say that there is a hardcoded way of speaking Crow and therefore that would be the supported version, but I am uncertain of the origins of the Crow tongue used by the Blacktalon. We certainly have a copy of it in Havens, but that could just be so that we can tell what you're all saying.

In terms of the diaries question, anything is possible! What that sort of thing would probably take is an ephemeral coming up who is interested in Delport and wants to craft one of their projects near there. Or someone else in Havens taking an interest and pursuing it. So I cannot really give a definitive answer to your question, because it's not impossible, but I can't state how likely it would be to happen.
  • I thought crow tongue was originally an entirely player created language but that then later was hard coded to be an actual spoken language?  @Xenthos @Crek for confirmation?