Help Files/Documentation

Comments

• edited June 2016
    @Maylea Not a problem, I wasn't asking for the AB itself to be changed, just the note that it does sickening instead to be put in, so people know that it is not working as originally intended.  Sorry if what I mentioned came across wrong.
    Kiss of the Enchantress hisses eerily, "Let them fear, and despair."
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Likewise, all I was driving at was some sort of note that it wasn't an extra instakill for chefs anymore.
  • I was just wondering if there was a reason there was no help file on the various Aetherbubbles like there are for all the other different areas?
  • Not sure where to put this in, but HELP OVERHAULCURELIST could do some updating (for example, I think kombu no longer cures anything). It's useful for newbies who are coming in and want to know what cures to actually get.
    See you in Sapience.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Is there/Is there a need for a helpfile that lays out what can and can't be forced by things like Dreamweave Induce, Pooka, or TP Dominate?
  • HELP CURELIST needs to be updated direly. I don't care that the Overhaul isn't finished, and the other methods of viewing cures are apparently incomplete. If the preferable method is CURES INFO/AFFS LIST, then HELP CURELIST should be pretty much entirely removed.
  • Can there be a helpfile about Origami? I forget how to use actionorigami and modular origami. I think you can write messages? Also item limits, closing them? IDK *picture of dumb dog trying to internet*
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Agreed that a help file wouldn't hurt, since everyone can use these things, but for now:

Action origami are the ones that give messages, and can hold one item. They're Lusternia's snapchat for tweet-sized messages.

SCRIBE ORIGAMI <id#> <message> - uses 1 magicink per 10 characters

OPEN <id#> - opens an action origami so it can sing its message

Modular origami can hold and preserve 25 items, but you can't write a message in them. The preservation is only in effect when the origami is closed, and the origami unravels when it's opened. One-use no-decay packages.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Do things in action origami decay?
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • Helpfiles for the following would be great:

- Origami
    - Buffs
    - Hunting areas (most other IREs have some method of throwing you into a semi-level-appropriate zone)
    - Buffs
    - FOOD - so many buffs here, and I'm only really learning it. After, like, 2-3 months of gameplay
    - Buffs 
    - Powerquests - I know each org has a help scroll about this, but I think something official explaining the concept would help hammer home why power is important AND educate people on how to gather it
    - Enemy status: the help files are vague about this and you need to read a bit before you even realize you're open PK while bashing (this is essentially unique to Lusternia and really should be explained - it's very discouraging thinking everyone just hates you!)
    - Skillflex/lesson pools: I've read a few help files but I still don't understand how this works. A chart of skillsets/pools would be especially nice
    - Better references in the search for aideships. It's currently a real headache to find the right keywords to view an aideship helpfile, eg culture aide help file to learn the commands. HELP CULTURE is an entire redirect
    - All the curing help files AND ASSOCIATED TIPS need a clean-up. I got really wary about this game when the tips were telling me to use a cure (focus body) that doesn't exist anymore
    - Overhaul help files in general. The current help file talks about a stacking affliction system with 12 second deaths. Does this exist?
    - Buffs
    - Artifacts - the current scrolls really aren't new player friendly, and they don't ping help search well at ALL. It's hard to find references to dingbats/goop without looking for it, dingbats should be consolidated better, and, given recent changes, it feels like some dingbat artifacts should be in the general scrolls (eg armour in artifacts defence)
    - Armour, in general. The help files don't helpfully explain how it all stacks
    - Cartel/design files. I tried very hard to proof my robes, based on what I read. It didn't work well.
    - Buffs (seriously, there are 50 million)

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    There is a buffs helpfile though? Its called 'buffs'. 

Armour does not stack. You can only wear one set of armour and carry a shield, and the shield just directly adds. 

There is an environment skill for finding areas, but it probably should be lower (possibly with a curing style refund). 
  • edited August 2016
    - HELP BUFFS just explains how the buffs are calculated, versus listing them.

- Armour does stack in effects. I got tattoos and now have more benefits....The help files made me think getting them was useless.

- I'm up to attunement in environment. What's the AREAS equivalent? I might just be derp and not see it.

edited August 2016
    Yes.

Armour does not stack, outside of shields adding to your armor value. Tattoos only act as armour for monks using the kata armor ability, and only when said monks are not wearing any other armor. Tattoos have effects though, and those effects work like any other ten level buff, a la HELP BUFFS. 

Scouting.

edited August 2016
    For the curious, here is an excel sheet with all of the game's buffs as of last november when that part of the buff overhaul was first going through.
  • Right, I'm saying it would be useful to have a helpfile listing each buff. Tattoo effects, and armour and robes, did not come across as easy to understand. The way it's written doesn't make it clear that effects stack (or that tattoos even have any). Scouting isn't comparable to something like the AREAS command in Achaea/Aetolia (shows all areas appropriate for your level range, with mxp-clickable link to pathfind there).
  • Tattoos don't have armour rating for non monks. You need an ability within a monk-primary skill to activate any tattoos you have to work as armour. Tattoos are used by non monks for their "secondary effects" - as stated in the HELP TATTOOS file. They're considered "secondary" from the perspective of a monk but are really the only thing a non-monk can get from tattoos.

We certainly could do with a nice server-side area listing with auto-pathing mxp, though.

That's a different thing than saying, five times in the same post, that no one has made a help file for buffs. It's there, it exists. It's not a list, because the list is reallllly huge and depends largely on what your class is and what's available. 

For clarity, ten level buffs and armor are not in any way the same thing. Ten level buffs stack within the limits of that system (outlined in HELP BUFFS). Armor is its own, entirely different thing that has no relation to the buffs system. The armor help file probably could do with a single line to that effect, a note saying that is a great candidate for a HELPBUG ticket in-game!

The scouting ability was the administration's answer to a request for an AREAS command in the way you describe. Opinions 'upstairs' certainly may have changed since then, it was some time ago - but the official answer back then to a request is as I describe. 
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    I disagree that we need a help file listing every single buff. I think part of the fun is testing out skills and learning what you can and can't have. It also opens up for older players to explain things to newer players and add more interaction into things. 

Help files, for the most part, should be general things to explain mechanics, basics etc. It should be up to the player to explore, test, talk to others and in general figure out what they can and cannot get/use. Let them get into the nitty gritty.

I'm not saying helpfiles don't need cleaned up (they certainly do) but they shouldn't be expected to spoonfeed every ounce of information to someone.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I think a problem is that people don't understand the difference between "protection provided by robes/forged armor" and "cutting/blunt protection provided by a tattoo/whatever". The two are easily confused.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I just noticed here, people talking about files listing buffs. While I agree that you don't want to bother listing all the in game buffs, I would suggest a list with buffs that players can get regardless of their class.
    This will let people go through their own skills and lookup their skillsets to see what they'll get later on which I think is very common practice, but then they can also see what they can get from origami/kirigami/foods/cookies and such to keep them from completely missing out on things.
    I imagine a list of all buffs excluding class skills and quite possible common skills wouldn't be all that long while being massively helpful. Particularly for all us newcomers.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Can there be a HELP ENCHANTMENTS file that lists the various enchantments, what they do, and the syntaxes to activate them? Just realized not everyone would be able to check the correct syntax for, for instance, Ignite being able to destroy certain walls via POINT IGNITE AT ICE/BRIARWALL TO <dir> due to not being an enchanter or a mage. 
  • Luce said:
    Can there be a HELP ENCHANTMENTS file that lists the various enchantments, what they do, and the syntaxes to activate them? Just realized not everyone would be able to check the correct syntax for, for instance, Ignite being able to destroy certain walls via POINT IGNITE AT ICE/BRIARWALL TO <dir> due to not being an enchanter or a mage. 
    When you look at HELP ENCHANTMENTS do you not see this?

1) [7.21.1 ] > enchantmentitems

Title: ENCHANTMENT ITEMS

2) [7.21.2 ] > spellcraftitems

Title: SPELLCRAFT ITEMS

• Weiwae said:
    Luce said:
    When you look at HELP ENCHANTMENTS do you not see this?

1) [7.21.1 ] > enchantmentitems

Title: ENCHANTMENT ITEMS

2) [7.21.2 ] > spellcraftitems

Title: SPELLCRAFT ITEMS

@Weiwae  Could be slightly improved now he mentions it.

"Spells must activated via RUBbing or POINTing, using the syntaxes RUB <spell> or POINT <item> AT 
    <target>." Is the current help file thing.

Could add in a quick <direction> bit as well I guess to make it somewhat clearer?

• HELP SPELLCRAFTITEMS has been updated to include the direction syntax :)
    I'll see about collating lists of general (attainable by new players) buffs that affect specific things, so that I can pastebin them for any admins that feel like slapping them into HELP files. 

The way I see it, the most user friendly way to do that would be to have a bevy of files instead of bloating HELP BUFFS or having one huge list. So: HELP VITALS BUFFS (with aliases HELP HEALTH BUFFS etc), HELP SPEED BUFFS, HELP UTILITY BUFFS, HELP RESISTANCE BUFFS, etc. 
  • Enyalida said:
    I'll see about collating lists of general (attainable by new players) buffs that affect specific things, so that I can pastebin them for any admins that feel like slapping them into HELP files. 

The way I see it, the most user friendly way to do that would be to have a bevy of files instead of bloating HELP BUFFS or having one huge list. So: HELP VITALS BUFFS (with aliases HELP HEALTH BUFFS etc), HELP SPEED BUFFS, HELP UTILITY BUFFS, HELP RESISTANCE BUFFS, etc. 
    That would be very good.
  • edited September 2016
    @Weiwae said:
    HELP SPELLCRAFTITEMS has been updated to include the direction syntax :)
    My understanding is that Diminish/Enlarge enchantments are no longer possible.

• Eldanien said:
    @Weiwae said:
    HELP SPELLCRAFTITEMS has been updated to include the direction syntax :)
    My understanding is that Diminish/Enlarge enchantments are no longer possible.
    They aren't. ;)
  • Should HELP MOB REACTIONS be linked in HELP CUSTOM BEASTS and HELP CUSTOM DWELLERS? I see references to beasts and dwellers in Mob Reactions, but not the other way around. (Old-style reactions to be available for fancier things?)
    Active: Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday EST