Lore questions

Figured this could work like the simple questions thread, but for lore-specific stuff.

----

So, from tweets, what is beyond the Basin and how did it get that way?

Comments

• Oh and one I've been curious about lately - since all the cool kids go through the portal of fate, which causes memory loss, do people bother with educating children in Lusternia?
  • Breandryn said:
    Figured this could work like the simple questions thread, but for lore-specific stuff.

----

I answered this already, we don't know exactly what is beyond the Basin, but we do know that most of it is devestated by the Elder Wars and the scourge of the Soulless. They eat and eat and eat, and are never full, they completely whipped out god knows how many races, forests, cities, regions, areas, etc. We've been told what remains is extremely unpleasant, similar to the Wastelands around Magnagora. It's Bad Out There. 

We can't leave, because mechanically we don't have too many ways out, we've been to a couple places (Dio, Icewynd, etc.) and our experiences are variable between what we find there. We haven't been to more places because they aren't built yet, one day maybe we will depending on Estarra's Plan for Lusternia.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• But Viravain helped fix the destruction to create Glomdoring, right? Could there be other places out there which have been rehabilitated by unknown gods?
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Breandryn said:
    Oh and one I've been curious about lately - since all the cool kids go through the portal of fate, which causes memory loss, do people bother with educating children in Lusternia?
    Yes. Not everyone, but some do, or you wouldn't have people like Weeky and Nia, any of the scientists in Hallifax or Arth'art, or the Asylum. The biggest reason is that going into the Portal is uncommon at best, and coming out again is rare. There've been a couple of pieces written for Bardics where someone goes into the Portal and never is seen or heard from again.
  • edited September 2016
    Breandryn said:
    But Viravain helped fix the destruction to create Glomdoring, right? Could there be other places out there which have been rehabilitated by unknown gods?
    Eeegh, sort of? She remade the Taint with Isune into the Wyrd, which was labeled as Better and Not Taint by folks IC. It wasn't healing per se, more transformation. We still have wasteland areas within Glomdoring, known as you chasm. Either way, it took a ridiculous amount of power and probably wouldn't have been able to be done by just anyone.

It's sort of possible other places could have been rehabilitated by unknown gods, but gods tend to come out in the Basin because of the thing that Roark set up in Avechna that acts like a beacon to the God's stuck out in the Void. Could others have been around hiding? Uh, sure, I guess? Again, we don't have any idea other than what we've been told that it's pretty much wasteland and it's Bad Out There. We kind of have to go off what we're told by the Gods/Admin/What we've seen from the Taint/Soulless influence because we just do not know, the histories tell us it's been destroyed but that was eons ago so things could have bounced back.

Again, we really, really will not know until Someone says it, or an area is released.

Edit: I did forget that part of the histories was that the forests were slowly healing the effect of the soulless, and then the cities were kinda too but the forests were a bit iffy about how they went about it. This is from the Aftermath, which is focused on the Basin of Life. It's possible it could have happened outside, but we wont know until something mechanical lets us leave the basin and go explore.

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Also worth noting, that trick with the wyrd? Took the Seal of Nature to pull off.
  • Very cool. So much to learn. Thanks for the replies!
  • Breandryn said:
    Very cool. So much to learn. Thanks for the replies!
    Really, really give the histories a read over again. They are so amazing and explain so much about all of this. You might find a lot of answers there, or even more questions. Maybe some avenue of research to explore in game, and so on. Then you can also check the libraries, explore your organizations internal lore (Serenguard are pretty fabulous for their lore).

• Well I do remember the histories talking about other places being destroyed. I reread parts of them during the sun druid bugs skinrot event. I just didn't realize how permanent the destruction was. I was thinking, like, black plague - catatrosphic at the time and you probably shouldn't go wading into a plague pit if you find one today. But it sounds more like the Soulless pulled a Chernobyl?
  • Breandryn said:
    Well I do remember the histories talking about other places being destroyed. I reread parts of them during the sun druid bugs skinrot event. I just didn't realize how permanent the destruction was. I was thinking, like, black plague - catatrosphic at the time and you probably shouldn't go wading into a plague pit if you find one today. But it sounds more like the Soulless pulled a Chernobyl?
    Chernobyl, plus angry hungry monster gods.

• Imma roll an alt just to follow you around asking for history lessons 
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Congratulations Dylara, not only are you a PK menace, you're the new Rowena!
  • Dylara eats newbies (jk).

Also, I suppose I should just mention it here before you go through the godawful tutorial, Dylara is actually a brainwashed zealot and extremely biased, what I might say in the forums might not be said there!

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Likewise, Luce is a lot more withdrawn, and doesn't actually care about the Great Spirits at all. (Like, seriously, gives 0 damns.) So you aren't likely to be able to engage him in this sort of chat.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Breandryn said:
    But Viravain helped fix the destruction to create Glomdoring, right? Could there be other places out there which have been rehabilitated by unknown gods?
    Viravain's efforts were largely concentrated towards Gloriana. That being said, from an IC standpoint, it doesn't really rule out the possibility that the Elder Gods may have some rehabilitation efforts in other places outside the Basin.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

And yes, returning Elders mostly appear at the Basin because of the beacon set up by Roark.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    According to the Jojobo Druids, though, no God has showed any interest in them; I would think any God looking outside the Basin would be interested in a surviving community (and, perhaps, how to exploit it to their own ends).
  • Dylara said:
    Breandryn said:

----

I answered this already, we don't know exactly what is beyond the Basin, but we do know that most of it is devestated by the Elder Wars and the scourge of the Soulless. They eat and eat and eat, and are never full, they completely whipped out god knows how many races, forests, cities, regions, areas, etc. We've been told what remains is extremely unpleasant, similar to the Wastelands around Magnagora. It's Bad Out There. 

We can't leave, because mechanically we don't have too many ways out, we've been to a couple places (Dio, Icewynd, etc.) and our experiences are variable between what we find there. We haven't been to more places because they aren't built yet, one day maybe we will depending on Estarra's Plan for Lusternia.
    To add to this: all the ways out of the Basin (which is a continent) are magical (Dio and Icewynd use the teleporter in the Observatory, which is currently destroyed) or flying machine (Hot air balloon in the Inner Sea for Lirangsha). I suppose if you wanted to get technical, going to the Undervault is 'leaving' the Basin as the two are seen as different continents.

I think getting outside the Basin is more of a mechanical issue than anything. There should be nothing stopping us from taking the hot air balloon (or building another flying machine) and going outside the Basin and exploring.
    Xenthos said:
    According to the Jojobo Druids, though, no God has showed any interest in them; I would think any God looking outside the Basin would be interested in a surviving community (and, perhaps, how to exploit it to their own ends).
    BUT! Are we sure they're legit?! ;) Theorycrafting time!

#bringShikariback 

• As a safety measure, the ship's exit portal will not function unless it is attached to an aetherdock. No mortal could survive in the aetherways outside the magical protection of a ship!

In the lore, the gods were totally just floating around, when they talk about formations? What is it about the aetherways that wrecks mortals? Can vernals survive? Can we build aether-spacesuits to survive?
  • Breandryn said:

As a safety measure, the ship's exit portal will not function unless it is attached to an aetherdock. No mortal could survive in the aetherways outside the magical protection of a ship!

In the lore, the gods were totally just floating around, when they talk about formations? What is it about the aetherways that wrecks mortals? Can vernals survive? Can we build aether-spacesuits to survive?
    God's are totally special snowflakes who can survive the void and god knows what else.

We probably lost the ability after the sharding ocured and we became less of a single being and more individuals.

You could ask your divine about this ig though!

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Breandryn said:

As a safety measure, the ship's exit portal will not function unless it is attached to an aetherdock. No mortal could survive in the aetherways outside the magical protection of a ship!

We're not Gods.  We require algontherine beasts to keep us alive.

Vernal Gods are gods, so... yes.  They can survive just fine.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Vernal Ascendants, notsomuch. The Gods actually have a command that can flick someone to the void, rendering them into a fine mist.
  • Oh wow, that is an awesome punishment.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I've always assumed that travel through the unformed chaos of aetherspace was an exercise in will to shape your way through it, and that's why aetherships are in part living creatures. 
  • Is this what Khepheran pilots look like?

• Breandryn said:

Can we build aether-spacesuits to survive?

When aethersuits were first announced this is what I thought they were. I was soon disappointed.
    HOWEVER there was one time where everyone who was online got chucked into aetherspace. Yep. That was a rather enjoyable glitch that got fixed after five minutes.

#bringShikariback 

• That was during a revolt too.