October Curio Promotion

ANNOUNCE NEWS #2642
Date: 10/1/2016 at 0:03
To  : Everyone
Subj: Anniversary Trade Extravaganza!

This October marks the twelfth year since Lusternia opened! We will post
later the Anniversary events, but to start off the month we are
releasing a new set of curios: spectral trade curios! There is one curio
for each trade skill, giving a benefit for crafting in that trade skill.
For every 100 credits purchased this month, you will receive free trade
curios. SHOWREWARDS lists how many curios you will receive. The curios
are as follows:

Cooking Cup  - 15% Chance to double the portions produced.
Tailoring Thimble - 20% increase till decay time on tailoring items you
create.
Jewelry Chisel  - 15% Chance to cut twice as many gems.
Forging Tongs - 20% Chance to not consume mineraloil or power on
enhancing.
Enchantment Focus - 10% Chance to give freshly enchanted item full
charges (instead of standard 1 charge)
Alchemy Beaker  - 10% Chance to get twice as many batches.
Herbs Hoe - 10% Chance to discover a second herb when you are harvesting
Poisons Funnel  - 10 extra doses per extraction
Artisan Measuring Tape  - 50% reduction in power cost to package items.
Bookbinding Stylus - 15% Chance to produce twice as much vellum/letters
Tattoos Needle  - Tattoos are inked 20% faster.

Jeremiah will also continue to sell crates of iron coins at least
through the anniversary celebrations, so make sure you get some before
they go away!

Penned by My hand on the 16th of Roarkian, in the year 452 CE.

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I'm curious what others think of this promotion; I'm looking at this and I'm finding myself pretty underwhelmed.  The only one that seems worth much of anything is the Tattoos needle, and I can't even do Tattoos (which makes it not worth pursuing for me).

Almost everything else being RNG-based just... I mean, for crafting vellum, you're going to buy enough leather to make x vellum.  You get some bonus, but due to shops having selling limitations, what are you going to do with the bonus?  Just store it somewhere?  Feels like it's adding a hassle, rather than providing a benefit.

Am I the only other one just not feeling enthusiastic about these?  Are you pursuing them?  I'd like to know.
  • I think it'd be nice to have a hoe, personally.
  • When I read the title, I was like "Oh sweet, an artifact cart for crafting artis" and got excited about buying the tradeskill expansion. Then I read the post. :/
  • The problem with curio promotions is the probability of finishing one off of a purchase, even if they are really good I don't think I can bring myself to buy into curio promos knowingly.
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • The probability of finishing just a single curio from this set without trading/rubbing is almost 0 unless you buy a LOT of credits.
  • edited October 2016
    I'd say even buying 2000 credits your chance of getting a full curio is quite low, given the number of curios released and the chance of getting doubles or even triples of more common pieces.

There was 11 curios released.  At 10 pieces per curio, that is 110 possible pieces to be generated.  Even buying 2000 credits, you will get 265 pieces, some of which will doubtless end up being doubles or triples.
    Kiss of the Enchantress hisses eerily, "Let them fear, and despair."
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    The herbalism one might pay off off over time, but ones like the forging one really have no real benefit or value. Even if you could acquire them for free through in game curio acquisition and rubbing the time it would take to amass a set wouldn't be worth what is an exceptionally minor bonus.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• They are mostly just handy little things not worth much really, I wouldn't pay more than maybe 10 or 20 credits for a completed one, I mean if it them great but I would not go out of my way in any form to get them.
  • 60.5 herbs (vs. 55) from a room of 60.
    126.5 herbs (vs. 115) from a room of 120.

Given the price of herbs /and/ the RNG nature of the promo, I would have to be absolutely insane to try and complete a set through this promo. As has been stated, completing /a/ set is unlikely on the budget of 99% of Lusternia. Completing the one you want? Go play the national lottery.

The obvious point to make is that you will, in any case, get the credits you paid for. So are extra, free curio pieces better than no extra, free curio pieces? Yes, without a shadow of a doubt. But it doesn't incentivize me to tap dat plastic this month if I wasn't otherwise inclined to. And given my credit card balance, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Much love.