Lore questions

Comments

• Hmm just a a thought I know what some of the aether beasts are but not what all of them are doing there. Why are dragons attacking for example, I think I need to check up a bit of dragon lore.

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    It's Lusternian Lore. Draxyblaxis* was a Soulless whose brother Dracnoris went draco-a-draco with near the start of the Elder Wars. The black dragons are splinters of Her power coagulating, not dissimilar to how mortals are shards of Elders and Illith.

*I butchered this name.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Isn't it closer to Draxbayloch?  I probably also messed it up, but thought it was something like that.
  • Ohh I forgot about her from the eldar wars OK OK that makes sense now, I was just thinking dragons come from dracnaris why are they attacking me but I forgot about the sister thanks!  What about the other creatures slivern and other of stuff?
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    My understanding is that the Slivvens are raw aether coalescing into a creature by feeding on the algontherine entity it forms within, but I vaguely recall them being a mob somewhere else.
    There is a slivven queen within the ruins of the crashed ship on Mucklemarsh.  Bring her some live (drugged) gnomes and she will inject them with slivven-babies to play host to.
  • Xenthos said:
    There is a slivven queen within the ruins of the crashed ship on Mucklemarsh.  Bring her some live (drugged) gnomes and she will inject them with slivven-babies to play host to.
    Because Aliens. We are clearly weyland yutani.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• edited October 2016
    Oh wow, that'd be fun - a big aether PVE raid against a giant alien monster queen? Yes please!
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Xenthos said:
    Isn't it closer to Draxbaylock?  I probably also messed it up, but thought it was something like that.
    You were closest, so FTFY. Second favourite Soulless god is second favourite. <3
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Talan said:
    One of the crew members was pregnant, and this may be why the slivvens have a queen at all.
    So, can we then assume that the unborn gnome baby (gnomeling?) was corrupted by the Taint, and rather than being born the normal disgusting way, it was born an abnormal, through-the-chest, still-disgusting way? Because if so, that's so cool.

And I've always figured that slivvens were basically the equivalent of head lice (as you said), but since the creatures of aetherspace are basically extra-dimensional beings, they're made of that same "extra-dimensional" stuff; hence the name "aetheric slivvens".

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Don't know that it would have been the Taint. It's more likely these are either directly corrupted by Kethuru/Draxbaylock/RuPaul, or from somewhere else entirely by way of Aetherspace. Our Taint is basically Kethuru Lite.
  • Without Kethuru in it, didn't the Taint just turn into LA smog? I remember that Lolly got thrown in but was ok.
  • What happens to a summoned creature, like a hunter's wolf, when it's killed? Does the same beast revive, or are we given new ones each time?
    Breandryn said:
    What happens to a summoned creature, like a hunter's wolf, when it's killed? Does the same beast revive, or are we given new ones each time?
    You get a new one (that's why it loses its name when you request a new one at the kennel).
  • That's what I thought and have been RPing, but I wasn't sure. Thanks!
    Well, it's legitimate to RP otherwise too, if you want; keph-aligned orgs tend to have a belief in reincarnation (see: the entire Kepheran quest chain), and it's not like people IRL haven't gotten new pets and given them the same name as their previous one to "pretend" otherwise, as well.  I was more speaking to the mechanics.  There is some leeway to ignore mechanics in this case if that floats your boat. :)
  • Ok, cool to know. I just didn't want to RP something that went totally against in-game lore (hair-trills, I hear are akin to that?).
    edited October 2016
    Hair trills are technically legitimate.

Humans have this thing where they can mingle with any of the other races and it can make some weird hybrids (same with Viscanti), and the Admin have said that it is actually allowed to do so because of that, but... it's better RP to actually hew more closely to the lore when you can (when every single trill is a hair trill, things are going very wrong, they should not be that common).  That's one of the reasons why people have gotten so upset about hair-trills, because for a long while they were everywhere.  I think things are a bit more restrained now (though I don't hang around where most of the trill live, so I can't see).

I mean, you can have a Dracnari that looks entirely like a human except can breathe fire (since that's what makes them a dracnari)... or a human that looks kind of like a dracnari but cannot breathe fire.  Everyone is happier when these edge cases aren't excessively overabused, however.

Edit: Portius put it more clearly in the next post.  If you want to play a purebred of a race, you need to stick closely to the guidelines.  If you don't want to be a complete member of that race, the guidelines are a fair bit looser, but you can't use the looser ones and claim to be 100% that race.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Breandryn said:
     (hair-trills, I hear are akin to that?).
    Hair trill are a thing, they just aren't purebred. A hair trill is a human/trill crossbreed.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Ev will silently glare at hair-trill behind their back, especially if they flaunt it, because he thinks it's abnormal--mongrels. Even though, if you ever asked him about his memories as a child, he's one too.

Half-breeds and the like can actually be fun to interact with, as long as it's done right. There's a difference between human-furrikin hybrids and straight-up nekos, or human-trill hybrids and normal humans who just happen to have wings.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Who was the Paladin's Lord Commander during the Fall of (Old) Celest?
  • Dolph Inalai
  • What are manses? How strong is reality in them? What sort of things, lore-wise, are too wild/impossible to be built/grow/etc?
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    To my understanding, Manses are pseudomagical pocket dimensions or demiplanes that conform to the will of their owner and his or her, or His or Her(, or His-and-Her, etc.) designees. Ordinarily they cannot create 'real' matter such as food, minerals, or other commodities that can be removed, because once something leaves the pocket-reality it returns to being the raw aether from which it was formed. The aetherplex and the org aether-portals establish connections to these demiplanes, but they otherwise exist outside the standard cosmology, though they are of course allowed to reflect real locations (Such as my Researcher's observatory room that had a KILLER view of the stars. Just not an accurate one beyond his own knowledge.)

Essentially, IC you can create anything you can imagine, but you can't leave the areas under your control with anything so created. 

Deepnight is a fully-functioning city, as is that other manse I can't recall at the moment. Erudio is a fully tended sprawling villa complete with towers, gardens, and its own post office. Kiradawea has what is essentially a mini-Transcendental Fulcrux that gives access to areas she's "connected portals to" that don't exist in the Basin, or are so remote and inaccessible as to make no difference.

The sole exception is that you cannot create a true Nexus of Power within a manse. Beyond us simply not knowing how it's done, the forces involved are too primal and too powerful to be invoked outside of the Prime Plane. Even if the mortals of the Vernal Era who had originally worked out how to make true Nexii were to attempt it in a manse, the process would likely fail anyway due to there simply not being a stable enough connection to reality to manifest it.
  • That's really cool. Has anyone written any books in game about manses? I want to learn more now!
  • My understand of manses is a bit different than Luce's.

Given that any manse can become a ship, I see them as physical things in aetherspace. Or at the least are out of phase until the point they become a ship. But I also think this question is a clash of mechanics and RP. There are artifacts that allow you do things (make a garden that produces flowers, have it be forever daylight, making a room 'outside', etc) to the manses structure. There is nothing stopping you from describing a room however you want (such as being outside even if mechanically it is not in all ways.)
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    But don't manses become ships by hatching algontherine eggs, which grow into big aethercreatures, with manses basically riding on the backs of them? Or somesuch thing. My understanding is that manses don't become ships, they get attached to the creatures who fly around aetherspace.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.