Help Files/Documentation

1234568»

Comments

• Xiran said:
    Should HELP MOB REACTIONS be linked in HELP CUSTOM BEASTS and HELP CUSTOM DWELLERS? I see references to beasts and dwellers in Mob Reactions, but not the other way around. (Old-style reactions to be available for fancier things?)
    Done.

BTW, if any of the new players wanted to suggest TIPS as documented in HELP TIPS, feel free to do so!
  • edited October 2016
    Help file 7.21.13 has been created for Bookbindingitems. And help file 7.21 has been updated to include a reference to that help file. It is also accessible via HELP TRADES
  • Is forging up to date? HELP FORGING and AB FORGING refer to stats and runes.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    HELP AETHERGOOP ARTIFACTS would be cool.
  • Thanks to the Oneiroi, who updated a bunch of help files and ABs.

I'm trying to figure out prestige and clothing, and it would be useful if there were even more information. In particular, it would be awesome to see:
    - a line about prestige when you probe the item (currently, I think I can only see prestige when I use itemlist)
    -an explanation of how the item's prestige level (upscale, dingy, poor, practical) maps in to the adventurer's prestige level (opulent, common, tawdry, etc.)
    - relatedly, a better explanation of the mechanics behind it. Does each item of clothing have a prestige point that you just add together? Is it in some sense the average of your clothing that matters? 
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    The way prestige works (as I understand it):

Each npc has a "dodge chance counter", which starts at (say) 100 points, meaning you have a 100% chance to hit a given influence attack. As the influence battle goes on, those points tick down, such that if you have 50 points, there is a 50% chance for an influence attack hits. 

Prestige items add points, such that you can start with 120 points. That's still only a 100% chance to hit your influence attack, but it will take longer for you to start missing. 

Your STAT prestige level is just a summation of the number of points of prestige you have, mapped onto threshold levels. 

Of course, I'm not sure of the exact numbers and pointscales, but the above is how prestige in general was explained to me and other Envoys when I brought it up a while back. That conversation resulted in HELP and AB updates and the new hit/miss messages for influencing. Before that, I don't think any player knew that prestige was to-hit!
  • Should probably update the text you get when doing AB RUNES. Although it's mildly amusing to think of dysentery as a form of justice. And vomiting as stemming from impatience.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • Whatever it is the race pins actually do, I can't find them on any dingbat or credit arti page.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • Race pins are properly goop items, and thus can be found in the horrific mess that is AETHERGOOP LIST. Individual pins range from #223 to #241, and a detailed summary can be found by doing AETHERGOOP INFO <#>.

More to the point, what they actually do is get traded in for credits allow you to use the racial emotes of whatever race. You can determine the race by probing them (there should be a line about "whatever race's runes" somewhere) or by wearing one and checking EMOTIONLIST SPECIAL for new racial emotes. Which you'll likely have to do anyways, unless you know offhand what emotes that race has.
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • It would be nice to have that information in a help file somewhere, more than anything else. I didn't even know this was a goop thing, got it from Ironbeard or something I think? Apparently searches on any of those goop items don't return results in the help system.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • Better aethergoop help files and an aethergoop artifact list akin to help artifacts combat for example would be useful to have if for no other reason than not having to dig through and hit a command to see what an item does.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited February 2017
    Theoretically the artifact overhaul that was hinted about as a new feature potentially coming this year will help with a number of these issues.  Right now everything is bound up in help files or specific commands, but if it was all accessible via a single Artifact command with categories and filter options it would be better; you could even tag things with more than one type (it is both a rune AND a combat artifact, etc).  And you would similarly be able to check items you own with the same tags (because it is on the arties themselves, not a help file). It is another thing I am optimistic about!

Could even add new categories, like "hunting" artifacts (things that are useful for PvE, including health runes, crit runes, etc).
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    So apparently the helpfile for HELP DESCRIPTIONS is flat out wrong about what happens when someone looks at you. Says it says "<name> is a <adjective> <race> and <desc>" instead of "<pronoun> is a <adjective> <race> and <desc>". Go fig.
  • Luce said:
    So apparently the helpfile for HELP DESCRIPTIONS is flat out wrong about what happens when someone looks at you. Says it says "<name> is a <adjective> <race> and <desc>" instead of "<pronoun> is a <adjective> <race> and <desc>". Go fig.
    Are you sure?  B)
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Isune said:
    Luce said:
    Are you sure?  B)
    Ninj-sune.