Tell us your quirks!

edited October 2016 in Common Grounds
Does your character have a quirk but you haven't figured out why? Did you base your character around a particular quirk? What quirks have you seen RP'd that you found well? Are there any that you think are overdone?

Questions, questions and more questions! I'm the author, so I suppose I should start with Mumble's. He mumbles and slurs his speech all the time. If that wasn't enough, he sometimes bites his own tongue on accident. The reason I came up with was tooth overcrowding. He just has too many teeth in his mouth to speak clearly, complete with a snaggletooth. He also tends to joke about needing to have a few of those teeth knocked out. What can I say, it's my way of putting the orc (bad teeth, poor use of language, funny mannerisms) in orclach.

Comments

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I try not to base my characters around a quirk, that makes them flat and one-note in my opinion, but I do try to include tiny quirky behaviors from time to time. My retiree was known for punning on public aethers any time he got a chance, which got him warn-zapped at least once. I've also got an alt right now who pauses periodically while she speaks, not really, uh, stuttering, but, um, considering her words carefully. Before she says them, I mean. (essentially I don't backspace on anything she's about to say, and instead insert pauses when I decide I need to change the tone or clarify or consider things).

I also have had a Gaudi alt who had splotches of ink scattered throughout the fur around her fingers and ears, which naturally has ink-black splotches anyway since she's a leopard-like aslaran.
  • Havastus talks like a pirate. Make of that what you will.

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    edited October 2016
    Potatoes. And star-eyes! All of my characters are named after old names of countries.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Dylara's eye, otherwise known as the Eye of Dylara. Funny story, really. It's hardly a singular facet of her personality, but it is definitely something that continues to mark the character

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• edited October 2016
    Same as with @Luce, Mica's not centered around a quirk but does have a few of her own. When she writes letters, there always will be a "small sketch of" a crystal flower from Hallifax's gardens instead of a signature. Fractal flower for business matters, cloud-wreathed flowers for missives between friends, amethyst iris for family members... In face-to-face conversation Mica will often act like a haughty madame when feeling especially mischievous. She's a dramabard. (Normal personality: friendly and humble)

Mica usually carries herself as she thinks a Hallifaxian lady should--composed, slightly formal but courteous--but she turns into a bubbly child when she talks about her interests, or when she's chatting with family members.

Mica also used to talk to her bird ikons when she had less friends and less things to do. She still takes them out now, just less often.

Age: forever 28 / Sex: female / Location: where the Fates can't reach

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Sylandra fiddles with her headfeathers when she's feeling self conscious, because it's the trill equivalent of twirling your hair.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Ev speaks intentionally with the most formal, correct grammar I can muster. He's also constantly opening and folding his wings--he may or may not realize he's doing in. And he doesn't use contractions.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Siam said:
    Potatoes. And star-eyes! All of my characters are named after old names of countries.
    No Czechoslvakia love? Who's gonna save you from Latvia, what with your potato having ways?
  • Breandryn is...well SHE thinks she is dumb. She's got a good memory for things she has learned, but is bad at making logical connections so she can talk herself into believing silly things. For example, she's clumsy at making her wings work, and she is often hungry for experiences - eating, hunting, etc. From that, she's inferred that they don't like her because she cheated (when asked what she remembers being by the Fates she said Faeling because it's the prettiest race she could think of). Combining that with her hunger has led her to be secretly terrified that she is actually meant to be Illithoid.

I've got a whole list of personality traits, habits, quirks and beliefs, and that's updating and evolving as I interact with people, but I often use those more as guides for how she will react to a given situation, rather than explicitly explaining or showing the logic behind what she says or does. 

For example, she might seem inconsistently rude or awkward or shy or stare at people when they are displaying emotions, because she's bad at reading people and doesn't know how to act in serious moments and often misses social cues. She won't explain her behavior, though, unless asked directly about it, or she figures out someone is upset, in which case she becomes very embarassed and apologetic. I'll probably evolve her out of this soon, and have her social perception improve a bit. It's getting a bit boxed-in to play.
  • Mumbles said:
    Siam said:
    No Czechoslvakia love? Who's gonna save you from Latvia, what with your potato having ways?
    >_> this joke died with 2013. 
    OH cruel Fate, when wilt thou weary be?
    When satisfied with tormenting me?
    What have I e'er designed, but thou hast crost?
    All that I wished to gain by thee, I've lost:
    From my first infancy, thy spite thou'st shown
    and from my cradle, I've thy malice known...
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Mumbles said:
    Siam said:
    None...yet!
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Not sure if it's a quirk or not, but Ssaliss never uses contractions. So no "it's", but rather "it is".
  • Maligorn has insets in his top incisors for little gems. I stole the idea from an Artemis Fowl book.

• Ssaliss said:
    Not sure if it's a quirk or not, but Ssaliss never uses contractions. So no "it's", but rather "it is".
    Oh, me too! I've used them by accident a couple times and kicked myself for it, but I talk to people so infrequently that I doubt anyone realizes there's a specific way that Truda should be speaking in the first place. 

She also inserts strange pauses and speaks in a meandering fashion, but I've slowed down on the pauses because they're frankly a little tiresome to insert and I always wonder if people think I just really love commas. I mean, er, she's gotten better at speaking to people over time. Yes, that must be it.

As for other quirks, hmm. Well, she really enjoys collecting trophies, parts of dead things that she has killed. Her nekai are made from the hands of her childhood nemesis, the manticore, and I used to have a personal trophy bracelet on her that's decayed now, and I can't recall what cartel the design was in to get a new one.

If anyone reading this has "a primitive tribal charm bracelet" in their jewelry cartel, let me know so I can get my fashionable pile of dead things back.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Lavinya periodically checks her hair, and smooths her gown as a nervous habit. She clutches it when particularly strained. Just little give aways of how she is feeling since she has a tendency to maintain her poise.

• Iosion said:
    Mumbles said:
    Siam said:
    >_> this joke died with 2013. 
    Lies. Polandball jokes never die.
  • Shaddus said:
    Most of my female alts have horribly ugly descriptions or are deformed in some way so I don't get hit on.
    I mean that's not the sole reason that my mugwumpi-based Viscanti is absolutely hideous, but it did play a part in the decision.
    (Magnagora): Thax says, "My truest favour to the soldier that brings me the weave of Neos."
  • Tristanna has quirks. The most obvious, she loves aethercraft. Perhaps nearly as obvious, severe anxiety. and a few others. :)
  • Not to give it all away, but sometimes Rideta acts purposefully obtuse in order to gauge how people respond. Condescending, abrasive, placating, etc. It helps her see how they deal with frustration.

It's very eye-opening! 
    (Magnagora): Thax says, "My truest favour to the soldier that brings me the weave of Neos."
  • Ulie is, uh... Loud. And seems to have seriously questionable manners. I'm not sure if that's a quirk, but it's part of what defines her certainly. She also says "Oh yes." a lot, and emulates her mother Nienla.
  • edited October 2016
    I've evolved Edith's quirks and personalities and whatnot as my time playing the game progressed.
    When she first appeared, her description had her quite hunched over, hair over her face...I emoted a lot of nervous fidgetting - and for absolutely no reason, she named everything she owned "Agnes".
    As time moved on a bit, I changed her desc - she was a little less hunched, more of her face could be seen, and I've phased out the fidgetting and nervous elbow scratching. She no longer names things Agnes.
    Where before she barely smiled, did not laugh or show much emotion beyond nerves, she now express emotion and is a bit more personable. She is a demi now, well integrated, and is now poised and confident.

I also was going with an augur type RP when I first started playing, but other than the always incredible @Rancoura, no one really picked up on it or played along with me about it. So I've sort of pushed it to the back, but I RP bits of it when I'm alone, and I'll still pull it out every now and again (my reasoning is simply she has more control now over what she sees and hears, now she's grown). Which is a shame! But I just didn't get the vibe Glom needed/wanted that kind of RP focus, so I'm keeping it more as a flavour, now.

So yeah - Edith has/had quite a few! It was fun playing them up and slowly phasing them out and RP'ing her growth so specifically. Now she's a regal uppity woman of the Shee-Slaugh and is all sassy, but remains true to the character I first created.

Respectful, elegant, formal, and curious. She's also never said anything above whisper volume and likes to hug wyrden trees.

EDIT: (Apart from that one time I accidentally shouted Crowtongue to the Serens, instead of yelling, on ethereal)
    (Glomdoring): Viravain says, "Edith."
    (Glomdoring): Viravain says, "Learning begins with the self. I charge you to preach My name."
    Raucous corvine laughter sounds out from the canopies of the surrounding forest, echoing eerily through the Wyrden Wood.
    *baptized*
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    I'm disappointed that no one else would go along with the augur RP! I thought it was leading in a really interesting direction, and would have loved to see more of it. :(

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• Rancoura said:
    I'm disappointed that no one else would go along with the augur RP! I thought it was leading in a really interesting direction, and would have loved to see more of it. :(
    Well I'm still keeping it in my backpocket to play with when I want to, so you might see it again yet! And thanks ^_^
    (Glomdoring): Viravain says, "Edith."
    (Glomdoring): Viravain says, "Learning begins with the self. I charge you to preach My name."
    Raucous corvine laughter sounds out from the canopies of the surrounding forest, echoing eerily through the Wyrden Wood.
    *baptized*