Updates to 'reactions'

We have removed the 'troll' flag as an option on posts. We have noticed that it is often used as a means to express disagreement or to 'troll' in its own right, and there already exists a disagree reaction. The 'spam' and 'abuse' flags remain, and for any posts which you believe are truly just 'trolling' to derail threads or otherwise break our forum rules, please use the 'abuse' flag. After a certain threshold, posts flagged as 'abuse' will be placed in the moderation queue and disabled until reviewed by us, so please use the flag responsibly...don't abuse the 'abuse' flag!

Comments

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    What about an abuse flag for the abuse flag?
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    Awww, so we can't call Eventru out on it anymore when he trolls us while twirling his little black mustache, laughing evilly?

(I kid - like you said, we already have the disagree option)
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • Yes! It is a pity the spam and abuse flags can't go the same way of the doo doo, but the reasons for their existence are logical and the conditions under which they are supposed to be used are now much more clear cut. It won't make the forums suddenly a heaven of cooperative discourse, but I do believe it will help make it a better place. Thank you.

• Celina said:
    What about an abuse flag for the abuse flag?
    The abuse flag works like the "Report Post" link from the old forums. If people start abusing that, they will be punished.

• edited February 2014

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I'm all for it!  As long as you can't unblock / flag / reblock, because that's just re-introducing the mechanic of flagging-for-trolls.  If you don't want to see someone's posts, you should go all-in.  I'd say if you block 'em, have all your flags on that person vanish (both positive and negative).

Then everyone can be happy.  If you don't like someone's posts, you can choose to either disagree with them and have them respond with disagreements in kind, or just block it out and you can go your separate ways. :)
  • edited February 2014

Not particularly.  I feel like if you want to respond to someone's posts, you are engaging in a discussion.  You clearly want to participate in it.

There's no other way to talk about flags than to actually send a message, if the person chooses not to reply to the thread directly.
  • edited February 2014

And I disagree, quite clearly.  Especially when flags are clicked seemingly with little thought or actual reasoning behind the action.
    See, exactly like that.

Which part of the post do you disagree with?

Is it the part where I clearly don't agree with you?  Because that seems quite indisputable.  Is it the part where people sometimes click the flag buttons with little thought or reasoning?  Because that is also indisputable.  This entire thread exists due to that very reason.

So, what is there to disagree with, hm?
  • edited February 2014

I don't really know how you can make my point any more effectively for me than you are doing; flagging a post about reactions in a thread about reactions as off-topic, especially on a subject line that you yourself started, disagreeing with posts that are simple statements of fact and thus don't even contain anything to disagree with...

Oh, yes, and trying to squelch discourse by just flagging posts to discourage forum-goers from posting, without actually adding anything in return.  You know, the entire reason for why this thread even exists in the first place.
  • edited February 2014

Iasmos said:

Xenthos said:
    Especially when flags are clicked seemingly with little thought or actual reasoning behind the action.
    Supposition. Subjective. Disagreed.
    Ah, you re-considered and un-set the off-topic flag.  Thank you!

And no, there is no real way to disagree with that.  Just look at the original post.  It specifically talks about flags being clicked for no good reason, and warns against continuing to do so.
  • edited February 2014

Iasmos said:
    Who is discouraged from posting because of a couple of flagged posts? Show of hands, please.
    How about everyone?  Let's say I make a post.  You click the flag.  The conversation... ends there.  Period.  Unless I push it forward by commenting on your disagreement, of course, which is extraordinarily awkward to do, and leads to multiple apparent 'double posts' in a row.  Or triple, or quadruple, as it was seeming to go there for a while as you just flagged post after post.

Iasmos said:
    Raezon said:
    don't abuse the 'abuse' flag!

Uh, yes.  Because people were abusing the other flags (most particularly "troll"), and the option got removed and condensed down into "abuse" instead.  With a warning not to lean on "abuse" in the way that "troll" was being used.
  • Well, thank you for a demonstration as to why the change occurred, but it is not needed. There are no plans at this time to make blocking individuals on the forums possible.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    So.. Iasmos is an alt of Xenthos.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited June 2013

--------
    "You are so much bigger than you think you are," She says, fervently. "You are a beacon of hope that shines through the world with every step you take. You are My beacon, Gabriella, and you shine even into the darkest of nightmares."
    --------
    The air sparkles with silver motes of light as a silken voice says, "You will see growth and strength where others will see weakness. You will walk with Us as a paragon of Serenwilde's power, for you have already walked this path before."