Tell us your quirks!

Comments

• Hi. Quirks- I described Lithia as a tiny faeling with a lot of hair. Since she ties it up with spiderweb rather than say, string, it tends to fall into her face a lot.
  • I occasionally play in "permadeath" mode - if they die, I suicide the character.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Siam is sick!

He is a twisted wyrdenwood tenebrous demigod and is covered with leprous wounds bleeding with viscid sap flowing over cloudy amber crusts surrounding the lacerations. Coiling shadows seep into the lesions in a feeble attempt to heal Siam, the paper-thin scab fraying with the slightest movement. His dulled star-eyes betray his pain, and often he is frozen with a distant gaze. Rot has taken over his ligneous form, bark sloughed off in large swathes exposing the sallow meristem underneath. Brittle boughs break at the smallest disturbance, leaving open new gashes trickling with sap. He is wearing a stopped watch, a rope ring, a blackened wreath of twisted ravenwood, Wyrden Prayer Beads of the Lady of the Thorns, a wreath of midnight black roses and the Fingerblade of dha'Wyrden-cree. He walks with the truefavour of Viravain.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• And scary.
  • Aramel is grossed out by weevils and other creepy-crawlies, which is super awkward when you live in a forest. Also mildly afraid of heights, though that's improving slowly.
    (clan): Falmiis says, "Aramelise, verb, 1. adorn with many flowers."
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Aramel said:
    Aramel is grossed out by weevils and other creepy-crawlies, which is super awkward when you live in a forest. Also mildly afraid of heights, though that's improving slowly.
    Hallifax must be bundles of fun to visit.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Sylandra said:
    Aramel said:
    Aramel is grossed out by weevils and other creepy-crawlies, which is super awkward when you live in a forest. Also mildly afraid of heights, though that's improving slowly.
    Hallifax must be bundles of fun to visit.
    One of Aramel's first visits to Hallifax after coming back from dormancy involved her clinging very tightly to a chair at the Matrix and trying not to look down. Practice makes perfect!
    (clan): Falmiis says, "Aramelise, verb, 1. adorn with many flowers."
  • Through the magics of <redacted>, mixed with a bit of <redacted>, Breandryn now has mood ring hair. This should be fun to play with!
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Redacting in Lusternia has existed pre-Hallifax-in-modern-era.  I call time-shenanigans.
  • I want to say nobody is better than Halli when it comes to time shenanigans and all...but Xynthin.
  • Can't say I created Eleniel to have quirks, more like the quirks grew from her background. I created her background first based on her 'parent characters from mko' Based on those I noticed some similarities with one of my favorite characters in a manga.

Quirks? Stutters and fiddles her fingers when uncomfortable, progresses to running her fingers through her hair, feeling faint and then taking deep breaths to calm herself. She will however still faint if someone keeps making her uncomfortable. 

She is a horrible at telling lies. She shuffles her feet. If pressed she spills the beans and gets all embarrassed for it.

She adores snuggling anything soft. Loves meringues and likes to bathe in moonlake or dance in moonlight. However she always 'scents' to make sure no one is near.

I am pleased with how she has grown. Her change in hairstyle matches her growth. Thinking of changing her hair again soon.

• I like when characters have quirks. Gives them depth.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Conversely, Phoebus prefers to refer to people by titles rather than names, and to be referred to by a title rather than her name, unless she is very close to someone. It's practically insulting when some random stranger she doesn't know calls her Phoebus, or god forbid, some kind of awful nickname like "Phoebs". Why people feel compelled to shorten my name to all sorts of stupid things, I'll never know.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Shaddus gets angry when people refer to one of the Twelve without "Lord" or "Lady". If you're not one of the Twelve, you don't get the title.

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Shaddus said:
    Shaddus gets angry when people refer to one of the Twelve without "Lord" or "Lady". If you're not one of the Twelve, you don't get the title.

Ev's not  usually made a big deal out of it, but he always uses "the Lord/Lady/Lord-and-Lady" whenever talking about a God by using Their name; and he HATES to see mortals wearing Lord/Lady as a title. He will always leave it out when addressing them.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    One of my characters (I think it's Luce) tends to refer to divine as "Lord/Lady/Lord-and-Lady <epithet>" rather than use Their names. So, like, Lord Architect, Lady Even-Blade, Lord of the Hunt, Lady of Thorns. I THINK he refuses to do so with any of the Traitors, who he calls by the Epithet alone, ie: The Masque, the Legion, etc. unless he doesn't know one for the God, at which point he makes one up.

He refers to players with 'lord' or 'lady' in their title as such, but doesn't emphasise it. So, "Hail, lord librarian Windwhisper." or "I spoke with lady Shevat about..."
  • Everiine said:
    Shaddus said:

Ev's not  usually made a big deal out of it, but he always uses "the Lord/Lady/Lord-and-Lady" whenever talking about a God by using Their name; and he HATES to see mortals wearing Lord/Lady as a title. He will always leave it out when addressing them.
    I try to have Lithia use people's titles whenever I know/can determine them, but it's awkward when it comes @Eliron and the 'Lord/Lady <divine>' thing. According to honors, his title is 'Lord Eliron', and it either sounds ridiculous to refer to him the same way Lithia would to a God, or disrespectful to the actual gods for the same reason. Worse when @Manteekan is around, considering what a stalker he is, and  figuring out how to address them both. So... yeah. Something needs to change about this, and I'm not sure what.
  • Just to clarify, personally I don't think there's anything wrong with a player being called/calling themselves 'Lord/Lady'- it's a title that has a respectable basis in the English language and a specific meaning which can be applicable. And gods in real life are often called with the same title, just usually not when we're speaking to them directly. For the game, though, I wish we could all agree on a different title to use for gods, and only for them... it'd help, imo. I also like Luce's idea about the epithets.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Synkarin said:
    Synkarin hates titles, he believes that your name is all the title you need. 

If he uses your title, he's just trying to be respectful and on your good side. 
    Same. Enyalida uses amusing titles that people give to her sometimes, particularly if she's fond of the title giver/the title, but otherwise just assumes that everyone knows who she is and what she's doing at the moment even without a formal title. 
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Lithia said:
    For the game, though, I wish we could all agree on a different title to use for gods, and only for them... it'd help, imo.
    Different characters feel different ways about gods, and address them or speak about them accordingly. If Lithia is bothered by characters going by Lord and Lady, that's a fine and reasonable trait, but there's definitely no need for a game-wide titling convention.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • I think Kendr'a independence, after being alone for so long, is her quirkiness. Her behaviour can be fairly spontaneous while she's trying to fit in with everyone around her, but she tends to hide behind humour. I think she gets frustrated/quick to anger when she's trying to learn, because she's still pretty clueless/overwhelmed by everything, but she's really eager to fight and hunt, and hoping Tartanus can mould her into something useful'ish. She tends to keep to herself, but will communicate with anyone, if spoken to. She's also pretty generous and likes to help other people/see them happy. 

Kendra has a lot to learn, but through her slightly rough up-bringing, she also has a penchant for art and music. 

(She also despises Guild tasks. She prefers the practical to the theory. It's only taken her half a year to write up two tasks...)

Moon Priestess Ridien says, "The blood of an animal, however, can also be a tool. Consider fetishes -
    - efficient, powerful tools created by ecologists. It is exactly as Kendra says -- a tool of bones 
    and blood that has been magnified, changed, enchanted. Made into a tool."
  • Well, for some, Lord is literally part of the name of their position- like the Lord General of the Paladins.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited October 2016
    I couldn't be Lord Maligorn Shevat in Hallifax when I was Lord Potentate because of the Peerage. It really chafed me :(

edit: as far as gods, sometimes I forget to use titles, sometimes I deliberately use them or don't use them, it's really a toss-up. I should probably tighten the guidelines on how my character addresses the Divine.

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Tridemon said:
    Well, for some, Lord is literally part of the name of their position- like the Lord General of the Paladins.
    Which IC Ev thinks is a horrible title and will refuse to use it :) .
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • This conversation is fascinating. I had never known people thought badly of Lord/Lady - my view is completely the opposite. These days I don't really have any opinion, but when I first started MUDs, I was a big history/mythology nerd, so I would go around calling gods by big fancy titles, as Lord/Lady didn't sound awesome enough to me. :P
  • Lithia said:
    I try to have Lithia use people's titles whenever I know/can determine them, but it's awkward when it comes @Eliron and the 'Lord/Lady <divine>' thing. According to honors, his title is 'Lord Eliron', and it either sounds ridiculous to refer to him the same way Lithia would to a God, or disrespectful to the actual gods for the same reason. Worse when @Manteekan is around, considering what a stalker he is, and  figuring out how to address them both. So... yeah. Something needs to change about this, and I'm not sure what.

Herald is a good alternative for Eliron. It's also part of his official title, and it's a respectable title/rank within the Harbingers.