General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    (I am not speaking to or about anybody directly at any point in this post.)

How to tell when you're going too far:

Did you continue an antagonistic action because you, the player, justified it with a thought such as, "they deserve it"?

You've gone too far.

Yes, our characters should have people they hate, and oppose, and hinder, but it is our job as players who realize that this is a game to keep the actions of our characters within reasonable lines. If you personally feel that your in-game enemies deserve to suffer, you need to reel it in. Even if it's because "they did it first!" Ok? So? Did you like being on the receiving end of it? Probably not. So why would you perpetuate the cycle? There's no victory in "vengeance", and the moral high ground is imaginary.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    There's a lot that could be said, but let me ignore everything and every player for a bit and focus on the story. I'm a dungeon master, I've held dozens of adventurers hands as they went through stories I imagined, and I write for fun in my spare time. Let's examine the tropes of things that have been pointed out here:

"Why would you leave this place with no explanation and go to a place that is the polar opposite, joining with a Divine just as opposite to the one you were just an Avatar of? It makes no sense!"

Here's what we call a dynamic shift. A player takes a radical move, and their character undergoes a serious change of heart (hart, haha, I get it) because the things they see as right are now glaringly wrong to them. Don't you dare look at me and say that you've held the same viewpoints you have since a child just as strongly to your chest as you did then. Don't you dare tell me you haven't advanced or grown in your own story, abandoning things you saw as wrong or incorrect to make yourself a better person.

A Lisaeran Avatar disenchanted from Her order, from Her teachings, come to Magnagora and surrounded by a literal fucktonne of subliminal messaging would - without doubt - find their way to Fain. Fain, the Masque who teaches Hatred, who teaches that it is entirely right to embrace the dark emotions within you and turn them to serving your advancement. Fain, who was betrayed by Lisaera and cast out by those He was trying to save and trying to protect, now turned against Them. No character could ever possibly find a connection with that, right?

You're not empathising, not seeing the role-playing game from the roleplay perspective. Sure, you have valid reason to be mad, but the character has valid logic to follow this path.

"False equivalence!!!!"

I've been on both sides of this argument. I've been griefed and I have intentionally gone out of my way to make things difficult and almost unenjoyable for other people. I've been the only defender on Nil and been told by the Fist (Nihilist GC) that there was no reason for me to defend the demons, that they didn't matter. I've been trying to do something because it felt right for my character to do it and felt helpless because I was woefully outmatched in skill. 

I've also used what skills I do have to make the game unenjoyable for multiple Magnagorans at a time. Once I left and I found anger brewing OOCly, I didn't stop and quash it like I should have. I pushed my character to do something she shouldn't have, and repeatedly raised an smob that took a large group to kill and prevented any Magnagoran from completing their epic quest until it was done, which was often quite difficult. I delighted in it because I knew who was in rotation, I was directly hurting the people that had hurt me. I enjoyed hearing them lament when just months before I had been told, almost verbatim, to "suck it up, buttercup". 

This is not an excuse. (Phoebus just posted this same point) This is how the cycle renews itself, this is how we keep having these same problems all the time. The majority of you don't care to admit it, but you're just like me. You get upset when people are unfair to you, to your characters, and no one wants to let it go. You want to get even. Hell, you want to win. You aren't looking at yourself to say 'my behaviour is wrong, I need to stop'. What happens after you do stop? You find that people are distrustful, that they won't believe you've changed, and you have to constantly strive to prove that you are a different person. Some people do this by changing their behaviour in who they target. Others change their behaviour entirely, and shoulder the distrust until they've proven without a doubt that they've grown.

You all love to whinge and point fingers, because the only thing better than not being hurt is the righteous indignation of someone else being worse than you. Face your own problematic behaviour (toxic behaviour in clans, spitefully blaming each other instead of calming down and returning with a clean face, and downright dismissing other people's problems because they don't effect you, etc.) and you'll be surprised how much of this shit starts to clear up.

Maybe you shouldn't be dicks to people and then wonder why they hold grudges against you.

There's an awful lot of hypocrisy in this thread. But there's a reason several of us leave out-of-character clans. Lots of people enjoy pointing the blame at whoever they can as long as it isn't them, and use that as an excuse not to address their own problematic behaviour.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • today I'm frustrated at my limitations while simultaneously reminded again that the reason I'm a law abiding citizen is because I'm not smart enough to plan a crime and get away with it. :~[
    is dead like the dodo
  • i am not so very good at the backstabbing, the acting that seems de-rigor and even necessary just to survive.
    is dead like the dodo
  • edited November 2016

There are certain norms that should be respected to help the community:

You shouldn't ever repeatedly hunt someone down. If you even want to do it once, you better have a great RP reason, not just that it's an enemy. Just let people do their thing and enjoy the game!

Raiding is basically opt in PK. Nobody is obligated to defend, and you shouldn't raid beyond the point where anyone wants to defend.

Considering raids are for opt in PK, you should never run away, only to come back later when a certain defender leaves, but if numbers are overwhelmingly against you, feel free to walk out.

You shouldn't raid when the only possible outcome is you winning.

Now, I abide strictly by these rules, believe it or not. What's difficult is knowing when people don't want to defend any more, or who's around, and whether the only outcome is winning.

This is why I send those tells which are supposedly griefing you. "Do you guys want to keep fighting?", "Do you have any defenders around?". I need this information to make fair decisions.

Now, in reality I make mistakes. I'm sure I've been on raids that weren't ever going to lose, and I've raided longer than anyone wanted to defend. I promise you that was never my intention, real life just works that way. I just don't know every detail, a lot of times that information comes to light later.

I'm sorry @Dylara that you were so frustrated by my raids. I may have griefed you, but I promise that was never my intention. That is why I got so defensive.

TL:DR
    The norm of: "I don't want to fight you, leave me alone!" should always be respected.

edit: ack sorry, the formatting didn't look so bad on my phone
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Ciaran said:

Raiding is basically opt in PK. Nobody is obligated to defend, and you shouldn't raid beyond the point where anyone wants to defend.
    I think this is the most illogical statement ever and a real flimsy excuse to justify raiding.

Lusternia is both a conflict and roleplaying game. People are playing roles, roles that for some orgs certainly require defense of your stuff. Telling someone that they 'are not obligated to defend' is telling them that their RP is invalid. @Saz specifically mentioned that he felt he needed to defend because of his RP.  

I won't ever judge anyone for deciding not to deal with the raid and doing something else, but lets not invalidate the people that don't do that because you want to get your PK on.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Ciaran said:

Considering raids are for opt in PK, you should never run away, only to come back later when a certain defender leaves, but if numbers are overwhelmingly against you, feel free to walk out.

See now this one is a tricky one, the numbers thing, because you (not you personally but just a general you for everyone) running when large amounts of people show up can look a lot like a kick and run raid. You have a raid of one or two people then there's triple the number of people who show up and you step out? That looks like a kick and run raid.

Or when someone shows up who can meld or break and then suddenly the enemy team disappears as well, that looks like a kick and run "I only want to fight when I've got overwhelming odds raid," Not mentioning any names but I know there have been raids I've been defending over in faethorn that have literally stopped the instant when a melder like Crek shows up and the people involved have admitted its because they don't think they can fight against a melder.  Or I've defended Nil before against larger numbers that suddenly disappear when Synkarin shows up.

Like for an example myself I've raided on my own as soon as I've logged in to kill ladies in a counter to all the daughters getting killed when no one was around to defend and then I've left when five people show up, I've then returned to give it a go again once the numbers drop down and only two or three people came to fight me, so is that me being a kick and run griefy raider or is that me just running from overwhelming numbers and then coming back to fight more balanced numbers?

I think the issue most people have with the raids is how long they go on. Or when they happen when no one is around so it feels like you need to respond when you log in.

With that, this is a point that was raised before in terms of new ideas for the game. PVP is a big part of the game right and the only conflict points are revolts, domoths and wildnodes.

Wildnodes are every two weeks and revolts basically every week roughly so most of the time there is no outlet for the pvp aspect of the game other than raiding. Other IRE games have smaller more frequent pvp events to give people something to do.  Domoths are kind odd in that it requires the player to actually start them when a good fight is ready to go. So far I've only seen Synkarin, Lerad and Ixion deliberatly start a domoth when there were larger numbers of enemies around to fight. Most of the other domoths are done when there is 0 chance of opposition or if your lucky I see a domoth done when its 2:1 odds.

So right now as it stands raiding is the only choice for people who want to roleplay fights in the game and enjoy the pvp aspect of the game.

Its a simple fix, more conflict events more frequently or more conflict zones in neutralish areas.

• Synkarin said:
    Ciaran said:

I think this is the most illogical statement ever and a real flimsy excuse to justify raiding.

Lusternia is both a conflict and roleplaying game. People are playing roles, roles that for some orgs certainly require defense of your stuff. Telling someone that they 'are not obligated to defend' is telling them that their RP is invalid. @Saz specifically mentioned that he felt he needed to defend because of his RP.  

I won't ever judge anyone for deciding not to deal with the raid and doing something else, but lets not invalidate the people that don't do that because you want to get your PK on.
    There's nothing stopping them from sending an OOC tell saying: "I don't want to defend any more, please go away."

If people don't want to defend then you shouldn't really be raiding.  If they're defending and they don't tell you anything until days later by crying on the forums, what is a raider supposed to do?

Also, what about when 3 people want to defend, but the fourth doesn't despite feeling RP obligated? Should I just not raid ever because someone can't take a death?

There's griefing, and there's being overly sensitive to any raiding.  We have to try to stay in the middle.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    A lot of this "opt in PK" would be true if a lot of people raiding were in it for actual fights, and not quick ganks.

This is the same repeat behaviour from previous years, which culminates around ascension season when one side that has spent its time almost exclusively fighting in favourable outcomes and avoiding conflict where a loss is more certain than a win, suddenly bemoan how they're losing to x y and z, and you get the mentality of "why bother, I'm just going to log off and come back after this is done."

If half the people who claimed they're in it "for the fights" stuck around to fight when there's a real brawl going, we wouldn't have this problem of one sided ascension season.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    edited November 2016
    This is in response to @Ciaran

I agree, but you are trying to say the middle is this clearcut line when it's not. It's hazy and it may change from day to day what annoys people. 

If someone just constantly tells you that they don't want to defend are you just going to leave each and every time? How many times does someone need to die to you before you say it's ok to say 'hey I'm done?' It isn't a black and white issue, and trying to make it one, by saying 'just tell me' or 'you don't have to defend' is a pretty crappy thing to do. 

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • edited November 2016
    That's when you basically have to go off of reputation.  Part of the issue is that I had falsely understood Dylara to be a willing fighter.  Once she made it clear that it was a pain, I stopped counting her, and I think things got better for her.  The point is, a raider won't necessarily know unless the defender communicates that they're getting frustrated.  This is where I think a tell would work better than running to the forums.

Sometimes though it's unavoidable, I want to raid and have some PK when there are some willing people around.  Sometimes unwilling participants will get drawn in.

Edit: Yes, it is hard to define exactly what the middle ground is, but we can only make our best effort to find it and toe it. 
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited November 2016
    May or may not be related to the above, but

I do believe that raiding just to stress-test your system, check your survivability, try out a new killmethod under duress, or something along those lines is justified with minimal, even flimsy RP intent.

What I don't buy is people having a "sacred purpose" to
    *raid for 8 hours.
    *chop elders.
    *hit and run (copious amounts of times).
    *return once all the defenders get bored and go back to what they were doing before, i.e. leave the contested area.

At least the people above are shooting straight, imo.

Here's a serious question, even though this is derailing further.

Every single PKer in the game needs practice getting out of rooms that have 5+ angry people targeting them (allies to help escape optional). This is especially true for melders, leaders and domoth claimers (vernals usually). I don't think that's a fact that can be disputed. So, the question is, how can you personally create situations that you need to try and get away from -without- kicking a Daughter or whatever and seeing if you can survive/get away/even snag some kills from the defenders' onslaught, so that you can practice?

This is, essentially, the hit and run dilemma, imo.

• Lusternia-ized shardfalls.
    Hit and run isn't when you kick the hornet's nest and jump in head first till it becomes too much and it's time to gtfo.

Hit and run is when you hit stuff until people you know you can't easily gank show up, or show up in numbers too many to have an easy time against and running before they even reach the room you're in.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• I promise that either way, people are going to whine about you hit-and-running.

• Breandryn said:
    Lusternia-ized shardfalls.
    Yes please.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    As crystal shards fall from the sky, Avechna turns His head, distracted by something shiny in the distance.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Maligorn said:
    I'm just annoyed. Trying to speak completely objectively here: Avurekhos raided Glomdoring a -lot-, especially when Caerlyr was around. Now he's doing the same thing to Serenwilde. And it seems like most people are changing their tune to fit the alliance. It bothers me.

This bothers me. Is the perception that Avurekhos and Caerlyr raiding on Glom was celebrated and accepted? Because that's a hilariously wrong picture of what happened in either of those cases. 

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    A glow begins forming in the Grey Moors.

(20 minutes later)

A lost Nexus of Power emerges on the Grey Moors! Avechna declares that the struggle to possess the Claws of Shanth is not His concern.
    NOTE: This is a PK Open event within the confines of the Grey Moors.
  • Honestly I think people need to make/join wargames more. They're as opt-in as you can get and you'll know that everyone who is fighting there actually want to fight.
    Enyalida said:
    Maligorn said:
    I'm just annoyed. Trying to speak completely objectively here: Avurekhos raided Glomdoring a -lot-, especially when Caerlyr was around. Now he's doing the same thing to Serenwilde. And it seems like most people are changing their tune to fit the alliance. It bothers me.

This bothers me. Is the perception that Avurekhos and Caerlyr raiding on Glom was celebrated and accepted? Because that's a hilariously wrong picture of what happened in either of those cases. 

There certainly wasn't a great amount of public demonstration to suggest otherwise.

• Enyalida said:
    Maligorn said:

You mean how he was made the City leader? 
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    There's a lot to be said, but I think I can condense a lot of it down to this:

- Let defenders have their victory if they cut your group to size a few times, stay put for a weave or so.
    - Limit your rampages to a certain length, say less then an hour.

I love the idea of having more optional-ish open-pk events, but I will daresay they won't fix what's seren currently experiencing and I do doubt that it would've fixed the previous rounds.

I agree with what @Phoebus said on the matter, and I also some points @Tremula said. As well meant as any IC solutions to this may be, I don't think they will really pan out, as they will force compromises that the characters are not willing to do / are not really something they would make.

Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • Falmiis said:
    Honestly I think people need to make/join wargames more. They're as opt-in as you can get and you'll know that everyone who is fighting there actually want to fight.
    I wouldn't mind more wargames at all! There is something different between actual world PK and arena, though, especially if you feel like you are helping your org through the PK.
  • Breandryn said:
    Falmiis said:
    Honestly I think people need to make/join wargames more. They're as opt-in as you can get and you'll know that everyone who is fighting there actually want to fight.
    I wouldn't mind more wargames at all! There is something different between actual world PK and arena, though, especially if you feel like you are helping your org through the PK.
    That is the problem though. People don't want to have to feel like they're not helping their org by not PKing. A regular PK event like shardfall/foci would be good for those who want to PK, but it might actually have an adverse effect on those who don't want to be PKing every time they log in but feel compelled to because of their characters' RP. These systems would also do absolutely nothing for the types of raids being discussed here - the instigators aren't looking for PK.
  • To be fair I often try to start wargames, especially when the fights seem unfair. I definitely wouldn't mind more!  I prefer fighting with my org-mates though, and practicing against southern combos.

@Saz come back please!
  • Falmiis said:
    Breandryn said:
    Falmiis said:
    That is the problem though. People don't want to have to feel like they're not helping their org by not PKing. A regular PK event like shardfall/foci would be good for those who want to PK, but it might actually have an adverse effect on those who don't want to be PKing every time they log in but feel compelled to because of their characters' RP. These systems would also do absolutely nothing for the types of raids being discussed here - the instigators aren't looking for PK.

It would completely remove any excuse they had though