Museums for Guild History

ZyphoraZyphora :: the sun in her splendour ::
While many of us are excited to see the new factions come into being, there are still a great many of us who will be sad to see the old guilds go. The guilds of each city and commune are an indelible part of each organisation's culture and history, and it would make sense for each organisation to pay homage to each guild's contributions with a historical museum. That way, at least a small part of the guilds--which have been such a huge part of the playing experience for everyone--can still live on even after factions become a reality.

I propose that each organisation be allowed to put forth a set amount of currency (much like the addition of new shops) to preserve each guild's history. A museum would be created for each organisation in the city/commune proper as a new building or an extension of an existing building. The appearance of the entry room of the museum would be up to each organisation and their Pantheon, and branching from that entry room, there would be one room allotted to each guild. The appearance of the room could have various items/murals/literature dedicated to preserving the history of each guild (e.g., a tome/scroll describing the origin of the Aeromancers, a plaque with HELP AEROMANCERS on it), and have a few of the guild's special items on pedestals, such as guild artifacts. For example, "The Aeromantic Command Logs lie open upon a well-lit pedestal of sky-blue crystal, flashing dimly with the names of former Aeromancers." Probing the item would give a description of the item, perhaps tweaked a little from the original description, but ultimately preserving the memories of the guild.

Hallifax's guilds are relatively new compared to most of the other guilds in Lusternia, and we have a fair amount of items we strongly wish to preserve. Older guilds (and admin) have most likely invested an even greater amount of love, time, and effort into their guildhalls, and probably have even more memories they would love to keep.

Summary:
  • Each organisation gets a shiny museum to preserve guild history.
  • Each guild is allotted a room to display special items like guild artifacts.
  • Please please please please please

Comments

• (Old stuff is sad to lose*) + (Museum preserves old stuff) + (Shiny museum with unique flavor for each org) = (Yay museum idea is good idea, Zyphora is so smart!)

The math checks out.

*The recent tiff over the ur'Guard being ample evidence of this.
    Avatar created by the amazing Feyrll.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    This would be really cool for guilds that have invested a lot over the years into building their guildhalls, I bet.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I imagine the transition to factions being violent and catastrophic, and that the remnants of each guild build "shrines" so to speak to the lost guilds.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    I'm not sure if anything relative has been decided yet (because I haven't set aside the hour it'll take to read that Factions 2017 thread yet), but I'm still hoping that our guildhalls will remain as monuments to our guilds. 

Either way, a museum would be a beautiful way to commemorate them, so yesplz.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• Sylandra said:
    This would be really cool for guilds that have invested a lot over the years into building their guildhalls, I bet.
    It's almost painful how much of it will likely disappear, and remembering just how much we put into some of that. Some things would likely still be lost anyway, even in a museum, perhaps like GR10+ only areas. Some kind of memorial for the Players of Lusternia Past would be nice, though.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
    Riluna said:
    Sylandra said:
    It's almost painful how much of it will likely disappear, and remembering just how much we put into some of that. Some things would likely still be lost anyway, even in a museum, perhaps like GR10+ only areas. Some kind of memorial for the Players of Lusternia Past would be nice, though.
    It is painful :( . I'm one who's poured a lot of heart and soul into his guild. It'll be a rough transition for a lot of us. But I'm pretty excited by the possibilities of the new factions, and the hours and hours of hard work that's already been put into them by players and admins alike. We really do want them to be awesome and succeed.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• I think I've posted this elsewhere but I'm still hoping that the guild halls are retained in some way as class halls. The tutors could remain and their entrances could be usable by anyone who has the class (active or flexed) or is on the council as well as the security and education ministries of the org.

Any relics that are appropriate for a faction would go to that faction, while stuff that's appropriate for the whole org would stay but be locked down, and anything that people want to keep but only really fits in the guild hall would remain. 

The hartstone Flame of the Ancestors seems like it would go to the Listeners, along with the drums of past and present. The Statue of Glinshari though might stay, because that's really where it belongs.
    But the MDs altar, if it doesn't go elsewhere, seems like that might be something that would stay where it is but also have limitations on who can access it.

Depending on how libraries work, the education ministry might even be able to have a shelf in each of them to provide relevant educational materials for each class. Though a "historic" library that can't be edited could be cool too.
  • I like the idea of a mass destruction of stuff but well it'd require a lot of replacement stuff as well so that may be too much work.
    edited January 2017
    Would not like to see things completely destroyed, personally. So much work over so many years has gone into guildhalls and the like, by so many hands, and it would be a tragedy to see them lost.

Before an earthly flight

• Rancoura said:
    Would not like to see things completely destroyed, personally. So much work over so many years has gone into guildhalls and the like, by so many hands, and it would be a tragedy to see them lost.
    Agreed, but I can also see a possible need for this?

Like, it depends on how the story goes but if the only way to really remove us from our guilds is to actually nuke them then I guess it has to happen.

I will legit ugly cry, of course, and hope that it works out in a way that it's not necessary but I can see that storyline working out :/
    I don't know, I wouldn't mind the guildhalls themselves being the museums. But I know I'm being incredibly biased and inclined towards preservation because I will miss the bajeezus out of the Shadowdancers and everything related to them.

Before an earthly flight

I could totally see the Serenguard Lodge being buried until a landslide of rock, with an entrance that led underground to the mostly intact, but ruined fortress, now converted into something else (heck, one of our guild ritual designs that was never implemented involved blowing off the top of one of the towers). So I think you can do the destruction angle, if done well. But it would have to be tailored to each guild hall.

• I'm really torn about it. Blowing off even a small piece of the Moondance Tower would be heartbreaking. Every single room has at least one story behind or in it. The hardest part is just accepting some of that has to go, and that's probably a fact. Lore-wise, it would actually make sense to level the thing for the shift to commune-wide factions. I.e. the Coven isn't the Coven anymore in large part because we lost what always connected us to the ancestors.

For all that heartbreak having a few statues preserved in the library or something, as a conversation piece if nothing else, might be enough. A book might even preserve the memories better.

But what would be a fitting monument?

"This pile of rocks used to be a Tower, a guildhall large enough the admin got fed up and started charging us tens of millions of gold whenever we wanted yet -another- freaking addition. It will forever live on in our hearts." /tongue-in-cheek

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
    Not saying that everything has to be leveled, but there are probably ways to change the Moondance Tower so that's not just Moondance Tower that nobody happens to use anymore, exactly as it was. Though now I have this image of an earthquake toppling the Tower over the falls and it getting stuck upright and upside down under the Falls, which now fall around it, and everything inside is still there, just upside down, except for the furniture, which has been reoriented.

You can tell I'm getting tired...

• Oh the positive side perhaps, a reason to not bother destroying the halls could be that, except in some cases, they wouldn't really equate to destroying the guild itself.

Celest was entirely rebuilt at one point, most of the bard and monk guilds afaik have built their guild halls in the modern age. The Celestines rebuilt thiers at some point as well.

Destroying the sacred grove/hall of ancestors and the Moondance tower would be a catastrophic event for those guilds, but I don't know if it would have quite the same effect for the rest.

There's obviously a personal bond for some people, especially those who have designed aspects of the hall, if not the whole thing, personally.

Especially given that at least some of the factions would be building their own halls, it wouldn't make much sense that blowing up a building meant that the guild stopped existing.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited January 2017
    Veyils said:
    I like the idea of a mass destruction of stuff but well it'd require a lot of replacement stuff as well so that may be too much work.
    Two of Hallifax's 4 guilds are the close to the tallest spires in Hallifax. The Symphonium is in the Opera House/Conservatory (and is also very tall). It'd be way, way too much to actually obliterate these places, I think. And jeez, the Blacktalon GH is literally in the Ravenwood, isn't it.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I think it is going to have to be a case by case basis rather than a blanket solution to turn guilds into museums.

I have faith in our admin to preserve as much as they can in a way that makes sense (and is super cool moving forward.) Be optimistic guys! :smile:

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited January 2017
    In cases where guildhalls are completely wiped out, maybe we have quests that allow the original versions to be explored in some kind of dream or memory form. The guildhalls can be their own museums, populated with dream denizens who give little history lessons, either directly to players or through snippets of overheard dialogue (again, like observing someone else's memory).
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Maligorn said:
    Veyils said:
    I like the idea of a mass destruction of stuff but well it'd require a lot of replacement stuff as well so that may be too much work.
    Two of Hallifax's 4 guilds are the close to the tallest spires in Hallifax. The Symphonium is in the Opera House/Conservatory (and is also very tall). It'd be way, way too much to actually obliterate these places, I think. And jeez, the Blacktalon GH is literally in the Ravenwood, isn't it.

I'd imagine the Moondance tower falling would probably cause significant destruction of the forest below it, especially if it fell in the river and diverted the course enough.
  • I like the idea of museums. We haven't gotten to this point yet in factions, but it appears so far that most want the rooms and/or design preserved somehow. I think it would be pretty cool to have museums for everyone to enjoy.

Another idea is to just open them up fully (entrance, and any other special sealed rooms) in their current locations. For example, when Gaudi/Halli guildhalls were released, the halls were able to be accessed by simply walking in. It would be simple to just revert to fully open entrances, plus whatever else.

• Ixion said:
    Another idea is to just open them up fully (entrance, and any other special sealed rooms) in their current locations. For example, when Gaudi/Halli guildhalls were released, the halls were able to be accessed by simply walking in. It would be simple to just revert to fully open entrances, plus whatever else.

I'd disagree with this as a blanket thing. Just because there are likely more guild halls with places that are sacred and people would want them protected no matter want.

If it were done though, there should be an option for at least those parts to be locked up. And the elemental/ethereal sections of the druid/mage guilds should have some protections on them so that they don't become back doors.
  • Yeah, I don't see a need to destroy what we currently have - just open things up. Doesn't have to be a catastrophic event that heralds in factions either (though that's also fine), just a simple "The organisations of the Basin have decided, with modern developments, to coalesce into factions that bring like-minded indivduals together, even as the guilds once brought similarly skilled individuals to the same place."

The current guildhalls will just become areas where people of that class gather, regardless of their faction. Things like the GM office etc can get "destroyed" because they don't serve any uses, but the rest, like common rooms, armouries etc, can just stay as they are, maintained, or not, by the people who choose to do so or otherwise.

• So Aetolia deleted a few guilds. As CL at the time, it was WEIRD. The deletion event was abrupt and clearly just fluff for the mechanics and I was left with tons of extra credits, tons of angry people and a guildhall I had no idea what to do with. 

Knowing Lusternia a bit now, I have massive faith that the event itself will be great. I do worry about the transition though - in Aetolia, I gave it to the ex-gm to use for a clan outpost as the deleted guild became an archetype all could use, but this was a rare result. I think most other orgs cannibalized the old GHs for their city.

I have nothing to add to the debate itself, just that perspective as a CL who has overseen an IRE guild deletion. Happy to answer any questions about the process though Lusternia seems to have things way more organized than the Aetolia version.
  • I kinda wanna blow up the wyrdling now, have chunks of him scattered across the wyrd. Maybe a particularly big bit destroys the black tower and we can get rid off all non natural environments in the wyrd hmmm. 
  • Although if we use the wyrdling to squish a few guild halls and the black tower we can always put him back together again I guess :shrug: Just explosions are fun :D
    I think blowing the Wyrdling up and stitching him back together as a dead corpse with a decayed guildhall inside sounds massively fun. But I'm evil like that.

Everiine said:
    I think blowing the Wyrdling up and stitching him back together as a dead corpse with a decayed guildhall inside sounds massively fun. But I'm evil like that.
    Come2Glom, we'll accommodate such thoughts :p

Before an earthly flight

Veyils said:
    Although if we use the wyrdling to squish a few guild halls and the black tower we can always put him back together again I guess :shrug: Just explosions are fun :D
    Not our Trade rooms! :s

Before an earthly flight

• All of our guildhalls are in things we really don't want to blow up (the Wyrdling, the Ravenwood, the tunnels, etc.).

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• For Hallifax specifically, I can see a few options.

One, keep the guildhalls intact, allow entry based on what class you are, or just open them up. Add new precincts floating above the current ones to fit the new faction spires.

Two, the city decides to recognize the changing political climate (peacefully or through a coup, doesn't matter), and reorganizes society around factions. The guildhalls are repurposed where necessary into faction halls. The Aerie takes the old Symph hall, the Adomists and Skylarks have a legal battle over the old Sentinel hall before the Skylarks win and the Adomists take over the Ministry of Intelligence. Or maybe the Adomists make an alternative timeline version of the hall that must be accessed through a temporal rift.

Three, go full timefuck, Hallifax is replaced with an alternative timeline version. Guilds never existed, always Factions. We were always at war with Eastasia Magnagora.