What should be done with Golden Cookies?

Since the gold throttle was implemented, golden cookies have lost their usefulness. High level players bashing/questing for gold can easily reach the first throttle point (105k?) in just an hour or two. Stacked up, the golden cookies cut that time in half. At minimum you have the bonus for 10 hours - but it is only mechanically useful for 1 hour. (Even after report 1517 is implemented.) You're also sort of cheating yourself out of an activity if you use them, because all the work you -can- do is completed in half the time. This does not seem right.

Lack of use is currently resulting in a growing glut of what seems intended to be a limited resource, so maybe we should look at this sooner rather than later.

Suggestions:

- Allow ur'traps to be converted to different types. Not my first choice, but maybe easier than coming up with a change that both admin/players will like. This could be a one-off, or a general addition to ur'traps for a fee, with a one-off free conversion for pyramid trap owners.

-Have "bonus gold" not be subject to the throttle, but still factored by the throttle as it is now (thus if you hit the throttle and start getting 10% of the gold you should have gotten, you'll still get 20%, not 110%). At 100% bonus, the throttle is effectively doubled. Mitigating. Doesn't solve the complete problem, as you are still likely to have excess time, but not as much.

-Have the throttle removed by the degree of the bonus. Under the throttle, you get your (up to) 100% bonus. Once you pass the threshold, allow the bonus to factor against the potential reduction. With 100% bonus, you'll always get at least the 'natural' amount of gold a mob would have dropped (but no bonus on top of that) or a quest turn-in would have given. Would restore a slightly tempered version of the old-gold bashing, but reliant on these limited resources.

-Replace the effect with a crit-hit bonus. Boring but useful.

-???

Would be curious to hear anyone else's suggestions, or if there's support for any of the above.
#NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!

Comments

• I brought up this issue multiple times when the gold throttle was introduced but it didn't really get any traction. I actually have 2 golden traps sitting here doing nothing because I decided to get silver traps instead following the change.

As for ideas themselves, I haven't really been able to come up with anything that would make them useful again while still fitting into the vision for the gold throttle that those above seem so adamant on keeping. The problem is that because cookies can be sold it is very easy to attach a value in gold to them. This is fine for divine and silver cookies because you're receiving extra esteem and experience/essence instead, but with golden cookies all you're getting back is gold. It becomes a very simple question of will eating the golden cookies get me more gold than I would otherwise have plus the cost of the cookies themselves. The answer has been no ever since the gold throttle came in and unless the throttle is increased significantly or the price of the other cookies falls dramatically, golden cookies will continue to be a bad choice in comparison.

I think changing the bonus from gold entirely is the best way to go.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I'm all for crit bonuses, just because I want to see what super high/near 100 crit%s look like. Realistically it'd only be able to do probably 0.5-1.5% though, so maybe something else? (Universal damage buffs? Sip bonus? Dragon milk production?)
  • None of the other cookies give a combat benefit so I'd guess not damage buffs or sip bonus.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    I can get behind critcookies.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Is it bad that I forgot the gold throttle existed?

That aside, critcookies or allowing trap conversion sounds best to me.

• Critcookies please.
    (clan): Falmiis says, "Aramelise, verb, 1. adorn with many flowers."
  • Bump. This needs fixed. People paid a lot of money for these urtraps.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
  • Well that's not very kind, is it? This is a serious problem that has really frustrated some individuals and reduced their enjoyment of the game. Dismissing it with a flippant meme isn't in the spirit of these forums. Come on, you're above this.
    Yes, that was the point: linking you to a post where you did that exact thing.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Can we not be petty for the sake of it? That accomplishes nothing.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Are you trolling, @Versalean?

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • I'm confused here. I just bumped because lots of people expressed concerns about the effect of the throttle on an artefact that some folks had invested real I-went-to-work cash in. You pay your money and you take your choice, right? I don't even have a gold trap, so I have literally no personal stake in that, if that's what's being suggested? I'm not sure why my bump got a negative reaction, or why anybody would oppose a polite request for admin to reconsider what this item does. So, I suppose my answer to your question is 'No...'?
  • Then the answer is probably no, for probably the exact same reason you yourself posted a flippant meme on somebody else's concerns.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • Thanks for your contribution, Riluna.
  • Bump.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
    edited January 2017
    At this point, the solution is to get someone to envoy it. Last time there was an issue with cookies, a report went through to make the cookies better. 

Someone's putting a similar report up for the Glamrock, another thing that people paid real I-went-to-work money for too, though screw those people I guess. 

EDIT: The first cookies report is report 1517.
  • Enyalida said:
    At this point, the solution is to get someone to envoy it. Last time there was an issue with cookies, a report went through to make the cookies better. 

Someone's putting a similar report up for the Glamrock, another thing that people paid real I-went-to-work money for too, though screw those people I guess. 

EDIT: The first cookies report is report 1517.
    We're making a report for gold cookies this month methinks. 

We're offering 3 of the solutions above. Not expecting conversion though. You'll see it soon!