Ascension Discs!

edited February 2017 in Common Grounds
Let us know what you think!

February Wheel Promotion!

For the month of February, you will receive a FREE spin on the Wheel of Tzaraziko every RL day! The free spins are less likely to give substantial prizes than spins with Czigany coins--but, hey, they’re free!

Also, you can purchase a cache of 25 Czigany Coins directly on the website throughout the month. Spins have been slightly adjusted (less chance of aethergoop) and, for this month only, there is a chance that you can receive an Ascension Disc from a spin (not available on free spins). Not only that, instead of receiving bound credits for multiple spins on wheel (you know, when you see the fireworks), you will instead receive a guaranteed Ascension Disc!

What exactly are Ascension Discs? Glad you asked! They come in 9 types and work as follows:

Drop a disc in a room, it can't be picked up until its charges are used or 60 minutes pass (wherein it goes back to your inventory). It recharges every month.

o Disc of Chaos - randomly teleport enemies who enter room to random room in local area (10 charges)

o Disc of War - damage enemies who enter room (10 charges)

o Disc of Justice - allies in room give retributive damage (60 minutes)

o Disc of Nature - vines entangle enemies who enter room (10 charges)

o Disc of Knowledge - raise mana of allies in room (60 minutes)

o Disc of Beauty - raise ego of allies in room (60 minutes)

o Disc of Life - raise health of allies in room (60 minutes)

o Disc of Death - anyone who dies in room gets resurrected (5 charges)

o Disc of Harmony - removes all other discs from room and uncharges them (all discs become uncharged including Harmony Disc) and immediately all discs return to owners' inventories

Comments

• Unless they're very, very minorly impactful (which the disc of Death/Chaos simply cannot be), I really do not like the PvP implications...again. I feel bad for posting negativity, but these bother me.

• #SayNoToDiscs
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I guess if Death is just a vitae (revived with health, but no defenses and balance isn't returned automatically, nor grace granted) it might not be as bad? Annoying to have to re-re-re-re-kill someone, but they need to flee or die again anyway. I can see it being more useful for domoth claims and astral hunts than outright combat.
  • Nature and Chaos are gonna be a bitch, come Ascension day.
    Email:        el.ni93@hotmail.com
    Discord:    Rey#1460
  • We'll always have some promotional items affect pvp. There's no other way around it if you want us to stay in business! Anyway, we'd consider adjusting any disc if there's specific issues!
  • edited February 2017
    Would it be possible to have a few more crates? Like a 5 coin one for $10?

edit: Or like credit purchasable ones >_> my elite just ticked over
  • I would like to change chaos.

That is a hated effect, as per report 1600. 

Most combat in lusty is groups, so if you get scattered by any of multiple effects/skills that do it, you suddenly can never regroup because you keep getting flung. This effect can single handedly change the outcome of combat purely by being the first group in a room. It makes the bunkering things worse.

I propose changing the effect to one of the following:
    1) Gives or cures one mental affliction when entering. Gives if you have none, cures if you do.
    2) Random regeneration to all allies.
    3) Random damage to a random stateon everyone in the room. Aka do 1 to 800 damage to health, mana, or ego on everyone every tic.
  • FYI, Death resurrects you back at the Portal of Fate so not quite like vitae.
  • I like the random bit of vital damage to everyone in the room every so often idea.
  • Estarra said:
    We'll always have some promotional items affect pvp. There's no other way around it if you want us to stay in business! Anyway, we'd consider adjusting any disc if there's specific issues!
    I refuse to believe that you can't have a non-pvp promo and not do well if it was not overpriced. I'm not saying non-PKers don't spend as much money, but I think that we have a much lower idea of what some QoL/RP items are worth (vs some PvP items.)
  • Fact of IRE life is PvP pays the bills.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited February 2017
    I really don't mean to sound high and mighty and "ah, yes, I am the most righteous", but I do withhold my spending on promotional items if they're over the top.

That being said, my concern about Death is assuaged. Chaos and Nature in their current incarnations still concern me though. Nature Discs need to work on all players, not just enemies (maybe excluding the caster) -- makes it analogous to briar and phantomwalls (though only working on enter and on all exits).

I like Malarious's suggestion for Chaos.

Perhaps something more constructive is how Disc of Harmony is...like...counter-promotional. How about increasing exp gains in a room for 60 minutes?

• KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    I'm seconding the request to please change the Chaos disc. A guaranteed forced movement across an area would have a significant impact on many conflict events, and there's no counter or mitigation for it. The ideas Malarious posted would be fine. 
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I have questions regarding the collection of discs:

1) Are they tradeable? If I get Life and Portius gets Death, will we be able to swap these out, or are they going to be like artefacts and kept to the person who gets them?

2) Do they reward smartly? Will I run a risk of getting a second Life if I already own one?

3) Is the order they're given random, and is there a person who can trade them in? Do you have a choice in which one you will receive from the Wheel? Promotional items are well and great, but if I spend the money on something that's already so RNG heavy (read: the wheel) I don't want the direct promotional benefit to also be heavily RNG reliant. I can afford to get one...maybe two of these, depending on how many spins the wheel requires to give one out, I definitely don't want to feel limited because I can't afford to bankroll my character if I have rum luck.

4) Are these visible on SQUINT/GLANCE/LOOK? Can they be buried and achieve the same effect as if they were DROPped? Is there another syntax for the wonderdisk? Can multiple disks be active in the same room? If so, can multiple of the same type?

5) With Death, if all charges are not used in the sixty minutes, are the remainder stored and allowed for use, or are they wasted?

I echo the statements that this will further entrench us into the turtle/fortress meta, and it's not a voice that's echoing with a lot of enthusiasm.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Do the discs only work if the caster is also in the room with them? If not, can they be?

• Maligorn said:
    Do the discs only work if the caster is also in the room with them? If not, can they be?
    I am now afraid.

Imagine just dropping chaos discs all around you and waiting. So cruel.
  • edited February 2017
    Give bonds-ish disk. Your package will skyrocket.

That aside, these seem pretty cool
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • Ayisdra said:
    Estarra said:
    We'll always have some promotional items affect pvp. There's no other way around it if you want us to stay in business! Anyway, we'd consider adjusting any disc if there's specific issues!
    I refuse to believe that you can't have a non-pvp promo and not do well if it was not overpriced. I'm not saying non-PKers don't spend as much money, but I think that we have a much lower idea of what some QoL/RP items are worth (vs some PvP items.)
    For comparisons...

The Achaean one is every token you spin is also an entry into a raffle, the winner of the raffle getting to design an artifact with the admin and getting one, second place gets the artifact but no say.

Aetolia also has a raffle mechanic except the prize looks like the equivalent of a Torus and scratchies which you can buy for credits might also give you tickets in the raffle (or credit prizes/curio pieces).

Imperians looks like there's multiple pools that modify what you can get, one for free spins, another for credit spins, and one for website spins. The wheel is also smart so you can't get any individual permanent reward from it more than once. (Seeing their elite has made me sad)

I mean, ours is nice because we have guaranteed rewards at certain points and we get five times the spins that they do from the website.

But it also doesn't seem like the others have a similar impact on pvp, the Achaea one might if that's what gets designed at the end of the month, but like... I know i'd be tempted by a torus raffle.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Maybe Chaos can be a random static type effect, just pushing you one room away.

Also, a limit on discs in the room would be great. I forsee smarter players hoarding Harmony discs and throwing them into a room to clear other discs before heading in.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Static is being changed for the same reason we do not like chaos.

Making regrouping hard or impossible is a great way to have fighting die. No one can actually push you without likely losing people every time.
  • edited February 2017
    Static is being changed because the respective envoy chose to change it. There are similar static mechanics existing and remaining in the game.

That aside, I don't think there should be a cap on disks, and if there is, it should exclude harmony. What's the point of a harmony disk which can't be used?
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • Hi everybody!

Going to go through all these one at a time, starting with the elephant in the room, namely the chaos and nature discs. I'm going to be watching this thread and having a discussion with envoys tomorrow and potentially the day after regarding ways to tone these down or give them new effects if need be. It's a bit late for me at the moment, so I'm not touching it tonight.

Luce said:
    I guess if Death is just a vitae (revived with health, but no defenses and balance isn't returned automatically, nor grace granted) it might not be as bad? Annoying to have to re-re-re-re-kill someone, but they need to flee or die again anyway. I can see it being more useful for domoth claims and astral hunts than outright combat.
    Death resurrects to the Portal of Fate and gives a notable decrease to lost experience/essence, rather than acting as just a vitae. I will also mention that its effect is not limited to just allies.

Maligorn said:

Perhaps something more constructive is how Disc of Harmony is...like...counter-promotional. How about increasing exp gains in a room for 60 minutes?
    I'll bring this up with envoys; I'd also like to get opinions beyond them though, so if anybody here agrees, do feel free to chime in!

Tremula said:

1) Are they tradeable? If I get Life and Portius gets Death, will we be able to swap these out, or are they going to be like artefacts and kept to the person who gets them?

2) Do they reward smartly? Will I run a risk of getting a second Life if I already own one?

3) Is the order they're given random, and is there a person who can trade them in? Do you have a choice in which one you will receive from the Wheel? 

Not at this time.

Tremula said:

4) Are these visible on SQUINT/GLANCE/LOOK? Can they be buried and achieve the same effect as if they were DROPped? Is there another syntax for the wonderdisk? Can multiple disks be active in the same room? If so, can multiple of the same type?
    Yes, Possibly but this is subject to change, No, Yes, Yes at this time.

Tremula said:

5) With Death, if all charges are not used in the sixty minutes, are the remainder stored and allowed for use, or are they wasted?
    Wasted.

Maligorn said:
    Do the discs only work if the caster is also in the room with them? If not, can they be?
    Not at this time, but I'll raise this for discussion with Envoys (as before, also would love to hear non-envoy opinions, so do feel free to chime in here.)

Yarith said:
    Give bonds-ish disk. Your package will skyrocket.
    Perhaps we can change Chaos to a hybrid Bonds/Choke disc.
    Shaddus said:
    Also, a limit on discs in the room would be great. I forsee smarter players hoarding Harmony discs and throwing them into a room to clear other discs before heading in.
    This was actually an intended form of counterplay against the discs, I believe.

And that's everything I can address for now; I'll be checking the thread periodically to answer questions and gather input!
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
  • I'd definitely want to see a trade in value added before buying any more, myself. Seems like there's a good chance of ending up with multiples I don't want.
  • To be clear:

If I hit the 50-credit Wheel blessing, I'll instead get an Ascension Disc, and
    If I hit the 500-credit Wheel blessing, I'll instead get an Ascension Disc?
  • Chaos is pretty overpowered for fortresses.
  • edited February 2017
    -- edit-- my mistake. Nevermind.
  • Change chaos pleaseeee
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Death obviously seems useful for combat, but I see a better use being astral hunts to save some of the smaller people xp in the event they do die. Which is nice. 

I think with Chaos, if a group enters, and it hits the leader, everyone following should be moved too (which makes it more annoying and less splitting) but randomly flinging people everywhere and at 10 charges seems way too much to my inexperienced pk mind.

I too think harmony is a bit uninspiring, but I do also think it's important to have some sort of counter. Having the counter makes them seem not as OP; if there was no way to stop or counter them I think there would need to be a reduction on charges for some at least. (like chaos)

• Alternate idea for chaos: 20%(?) chance for any attack to miss its target and hit someone else (random) in the room.
    Lasts 60 minutes.

Would be useful in fights where you're outnumbered, and would actually be quite chaotic.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.