Promo Powers!

Comments

• Steingrim said:
    Oh I have a good idea for a promo power. How about the city and guild actually get credits for them? It is really difficult to reward people for their efforts when so many promos cut into the credit stream into the orgs. Another promo, oh great, another month of zero credits for the orgs.
    This was a problem in Aetolia and they changed it so things like chests (their version of presents) gave 5 credits to orgs for each one purchased.
  • edited February 2017
    A promo race that has more than 2 arms (Still would only be able to use two arm balances, but could wield more things!)
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Ciaran said:
    A promo race that has more than 2 arms (Still would only be able to use two arm balances, but could wield more things!)
    This would render so many emotes moot, omg.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Sylandra said:
    Ciaran said:
    This would render so many emotes moot, omg.
    No more so than SKILL SELECT WYRDENWOOD
  • More ideas:

Stole of Invisibility: Makes you -absolutely- undetectable for 5 minutes. 1 charge per month.
    Elder Whip: Lets you oneshot non-aspect denizens for 5 minutes. 1 charge per month.
    Resurrection Rune: Instantly returns a dead ally to life for 5 minutes, after which they will die, if not killed again during that time. During their time alive they cannot speak or emote. After their second death, they will remain dead for twice as long as usual. 1 charge per month.
  • The first two are ridiculously OP.
  • I mean, Elder whip really isn't that big of a deal. 
    Known Aliases: Celina/Cyndarin/Fire Jesus/The Night/That Bitch who griefed us
  • Fyler said:
    I mean, Elder whip really isn't that big of a deal. 
    It's not a big deal most of the time, but when it's a big deal it's a really big deal.
  • Look, just chill - I'm not suggesting that such items should proliferate. Maybe have ONE of each in the game, but if one player manages to hold all three he could be invincible, like the master of the Death domoth itself.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Then it'd make a particularly bad promo. Also, giving one player super-hyper veil when veil is enough of an issue during some competitions and events already is perhaps worse than giving it to many. 
  • Bye guardstacks.

Helloooooo death challenge. 
  • edited February 2017
    5 minutes.

ETA: Could make it so if you kill the person with the Elder Whip, it will now recognise -you- as its master.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    @Versalean oh my gods I just realised what you did there. Well played. 

* * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Tremula said:
    @Versalean oh my gods I just realised what you did there. Well played. 

You have hereby restored my faith in forumers <3
  • Jesus, people. So dramatic. Disable it during death (or it's just part of the new meta, as if death winners aren't already artied to the teeth). Make it not work on org loyals. Everyone move on. 
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    No way. An item like that wouldn't bring anything fun to the game, it would just trivialize certain content where the risk of dying/strength of an enemy is supposed to be meaningful.
  • When I retired, save for super mobs and the huge stack of things in icewynd, all content was trivial in terms of risk. I could blindly link Astral forever, wander Muud or the catacombs aimlessly, or dive into icedigger pits with zero concern.

I think it's a money dump artifact. Value is pretty marginal, speed up bashing for 5 minutes. End game risk for people who would spend money on that type of thing is already marginal. 
  • Do it as an auction one month. I -guarantee- that the person who won them would not find it a game changing experience.
  • If you allow it for Special Events then it's too strong. If you don't allow it for Special Events, then it is just too weak until someone finds a way to abuse it. 
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Fyler said:
    When I retired, save for super mobs and the huge stack of things in icewynd, all content was trivial in terms of risk. I could blindly link Astral forever, wander Muud or the catacombs aimlessly, or dive into icedigger pits with zero concern.

I think it's a money dump artifact. Value is pretty marginal, speed up bashing for 5 minutes. End game risk for people who would spend money on that type of thing is already marginal. 
    There are definitely people who can basically ignore all risks as it is. That doesn't mean risk is completely invalidated; it simply acts as a gate that only allows certain people through. Like, "you must be this tall to ride." If your artifact pile is 50 feet tall, of course you can get on all the rides. But what would happen if Baby Newbie Steve borrowed someone's whip and went on a rampage through a high level area for his 5 minutes of cheat mode? I wonder how much exp would come from that?

And you know it wouldn't be bought for the purpose of "speed up bashing for 5 minutes." There's a lot of potential for trouble with an instant denizen kill item, even if you place all kinds of restrictions on its use. You either restrict it to the point where it's nothing but a novelty item, which defeats the point because that wouldn't sell well, or you leave it too open and it turns into another one of those mistake promos that should have never existed.

Plus, there's nothing fun or interesting about one-hit kills. Starting new characters these days is an absolute snoozefest in part because everything dies in one hit for the first eternity of your life. It's the most boring thing. Not that hitting things multiple times is a huge improvement in regards to entertainment, but at least that feels like you're playing something a bit more involved than a clicker game.
    Versalean said:
    5 minutes.

ETA: Could make it so if you kill the person with the Elder Whip, it will now recognise -you- as its master.
    5 minutes to kill anything you encounter instantly. Head to a high density area that's been prepped to further pack it optimally and you'd be shocked at how fast you can kill stuff. If it's on regular bal/eq you can reduce your speed down to what? 3s? So that's up to 100 mobs of arbitrary strength killed in 5mins. Could get you no where, could give you a sudden spike of points from killing super-high point cost mobs 3s a pop.  Otherwise, 75 mobs. 

Sure, you won't notice the difference much in regular bashing or play, outside of instapopping quest mobs to be an asshole, but events - not cool. 
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Excuse me while I go murder those stacks of fouty guards that Celest and Seren keep lying around...

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• edited February 2017
    Phoebus said:
    Fyler said:
    When I retired, save for super mobs and the huge stack of things in icewynd, all content was trivial in terms of risk. I could blindly link Astral forever, wander Muud or the catacombs aimlessly, or dive into icedigger pits with zero concern.

There are definitely people who can basically ignore all risks as it is. That doesn't mean risk is completely invalidated; it simply acts as a gate that only allows certain people through. Like, "you must be this tall to ride." If your artifact pile is 50 feet tall, of course you can get on all the rides. But what would happen if Baby Newbie Steve borrowed someone's whip and went on a rampage through a high level area for his 5 minutes of cheat mode? I wonder how much exp would come from that?

And you know it wouldn't be bought for the purpose of "speed up bashing for 5 minutes." There's a lot of potential for trouble with an instant denizen kill item, even if you place all kinds of restrictions on its use. You either restrict it to the point where it's nothing but a novelty item, which defeats the point because that wouldn't sell well, or you leave it too open and it turns into another one of those mistake promos that should have never existed.

Plus, there's nothing fun or interesting about one-hit kills. Starting new characters these days is an absolute snoozefest in part because everything dies in one hit for the first eternity of your life. It's the most boring thing. Not that hitting things multiple times is a huge improvement in regards to entertainment, but at least that feels like you're playing something a bit more involved than a clicker game.
    I mean, if the argument is "artifacts mitigate risk," this is an artifact. It would mitigate risk. You can do very little in 5 minutes, nothing that competes with mass astral bashes or aetherspace. Of course it's a novelty, but many artifact are. 

Ultimately it's not real, and apparently people omghateit so I doubt it'll ever be real so time to move on!

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Because of course the only use for an instakill artifact that works against all non supermobs is a bashing boost.

This would get used for griefing, either guard stacks or clearing out various NPCs needed for other functions. Plus in five minutes you can move around an awful lot.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Aetolia has this artifact, actually, but it's one mob per day (per artifact, no limit on how many you can have) and it turns the mob into comms. I never saw the appeal myself, but I suppose if you owned a ton you could clear out guards.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Like, for one thing even if it's only one mob, "Nice job raising Cthoglog/Zenobia/Marani/Globglob/the cloier/Thoril/Ethelwyn/Bob. It'd be a shame if anything...happened to it."
  • edited February 2017
    Elder whip- how about actual god crits (100% WS crits) for 5 minutes. 5 minutes is not going to break anything, and anything that shouldn't be killed quickly can't be critically hit anyway (guards, smobs, etc). Disable for death challenge.

I would really like to see a +2 cutting curio released to match the other +2 buff ones, such as the ruby rib.
  • Not in my wildest dreams did I imagine I'd get a full night's sleep and come back to find this discussion still in full swing.