Saracen Combat & Utility System

Owing to continued progression on this project, we are now in a position where release is just a few days away.

So... Saracen. What is it?

Saracen is essentially a large collection of scripts that aim to make your life much easier while playing Lusternia. As you can see from the screenshot, the options with Saracen even just via user interface interaction are second to none. You get much, much more than what you see here.

Here, I will briefly outline the current features available in Saracen (Beta):

Saracen feature list
--------------------

Full event-driven user interface containing:
* System and character status data.
* Tabbed Chat. (This 'just works' - No editing of anything required).
* Map window.
* Room items label. (Updates in real time).
* Afflictions label. (Displays a list of current afflictions along with times for each).
* Statusbar label. (Displays our current target, system status and command queue. Will also show stanza info for bards).
* Warning labels. (Want an actual proper warning, advising you of imminent danger? This is for you).
* Numerous methods to echo to your output window.

Settings system.

Saracen tracks a range of settings through reloads. Adding your own is really simple.
Simply add your data into the relevant table to be saved on client exit.

Toggles system.
Need to add a toggle for something? Saracen makes this really simple for you with a variety of functions.

Queueing system.

There are times in combat when you want to send a command and ensure it got sent.
With Saracen, this is made simple with the functions available. 
Easily configurable via a table of blacklisted afflictions.

Extensive GMCP tracking.

With Saracen, if there's a GMCP table for it, we use it. From the tabbed chat and room items right through
to inventory, skills and connection keepalive.

Highlighting.

Quickly and easily add new highlights to the system. All are saved and easily edited.
You may highlight single words, sentences or entire paragraphs.

Area walker.

Path through an entire area, ensuring you enter all rooms in as few moves as possible.
To use used with:

Bashing system.
Saracen makes grinding simple. Simply click the relevant icon and let it work its magic.
Automatically picks up any items we want. Adding new mobs to the allowed list is as simple
as selecting the option from the pulldown menu.
DISCLAIMER: Don't be silly and misuse this feature. We will not be held responsible.

Player tracking.

The room items label doubles up as a player tracking window at the click of a button. Simply click the
titlebar to switch mode. Shows all players on scent. Allies are green, enemies red and unknowns are white.
All neatly aligned.

Clan switching.

Easily switch clans by simply clicking the link provided.

High quality logging system.

Saracen comes bundled with a third party script that gives excellent logging capabilities in HTML5.
Want to watch the fight in replay, as it happens.. Right in your browser? 

Bard addon.

The bard addon will allow extensive tracking of all aspects of bard combat and will be available at a later date.

* REQUIREMENTS *

At this stage, listed amongst the requirements for Saracen, m&m is one of these requirements. If you do not own m&m then at this stage, I am sorry, for Saracen is not for you.
Please do stay updated for further development on Saracen. We do have planned a version that does not require m&m and also a version for small screens.

Aside of this, you should be good to go!

Cost and payment.

We accept a range of payment methods for your new Saracen system.
Prices are as follows and are only valid during beta:

40cr - Simply transfer FORTY credits to Hawst and follow the transfer up with an email to sales at pharanyx dot com giving the title 'Saracen'
(We also accept payment in the form of dingbats. See above. Saracen will cost FORTY dingbats during beta).
$$$ If you wish to simply pay for your system via Paypal, that is an option. The current cost for Saracen is $15USD.

* * * DO NOT MAKE ANY PAYMENTS AT THIS STAGE * * *

Important information about Saracen.

99.99% of the code in Saracen is available to read and learn from. There is however, a method employed such that each downloaded system will work on just a single character. Upon download, you will receive an installable package that is simply imported via the package manager.

Our aim with Saracen is that everything should 'just work' - From the tabbed chat right through to the autobasher. That said, Saracen is still considered a beta stage product and you should expect issues and bugs because of this.

Should there be any questions pre-release, do not hesitate to contact us at support at pharanyx dot com. Alternatively, you may request to join the in-game clan. Simply prod me here or message Hawst in game.

As Saracen is a full user interface for Mudlet, it is recommended that you have a sufficient screen resolution. Widescreen is a must. We will not support resolutions below the threshmark. You should make certain that your hardware can support Saracen before purchasing! No refunds will be made given the aforementioned circumstances.

Finally, do feel free to use this thread for constructive criticism, ideas and questions, etc.

Comments

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    #:-S

Shut up and take my credits.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Draylor said:

99.99% of the code in Saracen is available to read and learn from. There is however, a method employed such that each downloaded system will work on just a single character. Upon download, you will receive an installable package that is simply imported via the package manager
    So wait, does this mean that if you buy the system on your character, then create an alt, you have to buy the system again to use it on the alt?
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • No. That will certainly not be the case. Once you have bought a copy of Saracen, should you wish to use it on another character, the price will be 10cr per character.

NOTE: Due to the methods employed, this will result in two packages. i.e. saracen_Hawst.zip.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I might buy it just to try it.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    edited May 2013
    Celina said:
    I might buy it just to try it.
    What she said. I'm considering reviving a character as an alt... and while 30cr to Vadi for another class would be cheaper than Saracen, it might be worth the trouble to give this one a look-see too.

EDIT: Oh wait... it's an addon to M&M? Uhhhh... I fail to see the purpose.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited May 2013
    Bashing system.
    Saracen makes grinding simple. Simply click the relevant icon and let it work its magic.
    Automatically picks up any items we want. Adding new mobs to the allowed list is as simple
    as selecting the option from the pulldown menu.
    DISCLAIMER: Don't be silly and misuse this feature. We will not be held responsible.

Just what Lusternia needs; more systems written specifically to allow people to afk autobash with.  (Note that the disclaimer means nothing; it enables the option, and it will be used that way).  Bleh.

Edit: Really, all you need to do is add in 1 extra step.  Have it stop in the room with the NPC as normal, but then you have to press 1 keyboard command to actually enable either the attack or the influence in the room.  At that point it will go ahead and kill everything there.  However, it ensures that the person is actually paying at least a little attention, and it ensures the system is functioning within the established rules & guidelines.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Draylor said:
    No. That will certainly not be the case. Once you have bought a copy of Saracen, should you wish to use it on another character, the price will be 10cr per character.

NOTE: Due to the methods employed, this will result in two packages. i.e. saracen_Hawst.zip.
    Not in favor. If I used Mudlet, this would be a killer for me. Having to buy m&m + Saracen to begin with, then having to pay for it again if I made another character is not worth it.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    This seems a bit pricey for a cluster of add-ons!
    I must be a bit broken or something, 40cr doesn't sound very 'pricey' to me.  :|
    Being quite familiar with Draylor's coding skill, and just looking at the list of things that are currently available (cannot wait for bard add-on, mmmmphhh), I think the price is just fine.

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • I would just like to pop in and say that this feature list is inconclusive as it merely shows the state of Saracen currently in development. Additional functionality is even now being added to the alpha and will continue to be added during the life of Saracen-beta.

The full release will be a bigger, better beast entirely, and development wont stop at release.
    Out of curiosity, what is the recommended resolution? If we don't meet it, is there any possible way to adjust the interface so that it all fits nicely, or is it advised that we just don't bother?

-

• I am personally running on a less than optimum 1366x768 and it's more than fine.

I'd suspect 1280x800 would work, and possibly even lower, although like I say, widescreen really is a must.

Aside of that, it -would- still work, but you may be left with an extremely small actual 'output' area.
  • Just a note to those who have gone ahead and paid already... We're a few days off release as yet, so bear with.

Thanks for your support and interest in Saracen!
  • edited May 2013
    Enyalida said:
    This seems a bit pricey for a cluster of add-ons!
    It's hardly a 'cluster of addons' heh. Saracen is a neatly arranged, supportive combat-orientated framework. That's the best way to look at the system.

Yes, it's a collection of add-ons that are essentially just scripts that interact and work with each other. *This is all -any- system is*

With Saracen, you have the means to very quickly and easily add highlights and customisable features that complement your entire experience while playing Lusternia.

Suffice to say, and from recent feedback... People are more than willing to pay for Saracen just for a small part of it!
  • edited May 2013
    So, it's really looking like we might be in a position to release later today ;)

We're just working through the remaining bugs, but for those parties interested in purchasing Saracen, if you would kindly take the time to register your intent by emailing us at sales at pharanyx dot com, that'd be great.

Again, thanks so much for your interest in Saracen. I am wholly confident that you will enjoy and grow to love the services offered.

Again, while payment is not strictly necessary at this stage, should you wish to exercise that option and pay now, you will find yourself guaranteed a system and further, for the first twenty customers, there will be a free unique 'something' :)

• Also, just to clarify: All Saracen users are welcome to request admission into the clan, but whether you are a customer or not, this does not disclude you from entry. The clan aims to be a discussion area where we discuss any bugs/improvements/etc to Saracen.

Please poke Hawst in game and request admission.
  • I'm sure I am not the first person to think this, but with the advent of the Saracen autobashing capabilities, I'd really like to respond to any feedback at this stage.

Quite simply, bashing as we know it is about to change dramatically...

What are your thoughts and observations on this?
  • My opinion? Make it easier to bash, but not fully automated. Don't create a system explicitly for autobashing an entire area and then claim no liability by placing a disclaimer. Like Xenthos said, ensure that your system requires the user to press at least one button per room.
  • While I hear and fully appreciate your concerns, I do have to say this at this stage.

What is the real issue here? The worse case scenario for me if that areas will be bashed out and people might be frustrated at this. Is this really a bad thing? I think we can all safely state that we seek more combat opportunities within the game. Is this not a real, tangible reason to garner such?

Yes. While I appreciate that combat with regards to PvE is going to change dramatically over the coming weeks, is that really a bad thing?

Think of the PvP opportunities...
    Correct.  A disclaimer doesn't absolve the system (or the system builder) of responsibility; the design is explicitly against the rules.

The basic gist of it is this; if the system does absolutely everything and allows you to get up and walk away from the computer while it generates experience for you, it's illegal.  Putting in 1 button press to say "go" per room isn't a real burden in any manner, but it does ensure that the system's design is legal (and, better yet, it doesn't encourage people to turn it on and wander away).

I can (and regularly do) catch and issue people who turn on AFK-auto-bashers, and I foresee a dramatic rise in that trend with the system design as currently defined.  Why go there, when there's a simple solution that can be implemented to cut it all off at the pass?
  • People are clearly going to use the system to autobash certain areas.

Ok, <Person> is killing Kephera.... I'll go put a stop to them! .... We go kill. Drama is inevitably garnered from said kill.

Profit!

It's a win/win for us all, mate. (Unless you are seeing it different?)
    Draylor said:
    People are clearly going to use the system to autobash certain areas.

Ok, <Person> is killing Kephera.... I'll go put a stop to them! .... We go kill. Drama is inevitably garnered from said kill.

Profit!

It's a win/win for us all, mate. (Unless you are seeing it different?)
    Auto-bashing is not win/win.  Never will be.
  • That's your opinion, mate. Many, many players find scripts like this simply essential. Sure, the likes of us could just go and code them, but not everybody is like us. There are -many- players who would much rather have a dedicated coder to do all the work for them.

This is what Saracen is about.

PS: The place I catch the most people afk-auto-bashing is the Undervault Tunnels, actually.  There are so many mobs there worth a decent amount of experience that it can just go forever and they enjoy Avenger protection, so there is no risk of anyone coming along to jump them for it.

At the same time, someone doing that means nobody else has any real chance of being able to hunt there because the mobs are all squished by someone who couldn't even be bothered to pay attention.

Fewer people paying attention to Lusternia = bad.
    Fewer people who are paying attention able to find a decent number things to kill because people who are not are just being robots = bad.
    Draylor said:
    That's your opinion, mate. Many, many players find scripts like this simply essential. Sure, the likes of us could just go and code them, but not everybody is like us. There are -many- players who would much rather have a dedicated coder to do all the work for them.

This is what Saracen is about.

The script is also illegal as-is.  No disclaimer changes that.
  • It's about making that 'gap' between being a 'non-com' and being an actual active contributor.

Feel you know what to do, but are not sure of the code required? Saracen is for you. Totally.
  • Xenthos said:
    The script is also illegal as-is.  No disclaimer changes that.
    How so, mate?
  • Draylor said:
    While I hear and fully appreciate your concerns, I do have to say this at this stage.

What is the real issue here? The worse case scenario for me if that areas will be bashed out and people might be frustrated at this. Is this really a bad thing? I think we can all safely state that we seek more combat opportunities within the game. Is this not a real, tangible reason to garner such?

Yes. While I appreciate that combat with regards to PvE is going to change dramatically over the coming weeks, is that really a bad thing?

Think of the PvP opportunities...
    I'm sorry.  I normally don't say things like this, but this statement is completely asinine.  Walking in on someone who is AFK auto-bashing is not a "PvP opportunity," it simply a blatant disrespect for Lusternia's rules and policies.  I also do not agree that a disclaimer shifts the fault from the creator of the system to the user.  Instead, the fault is on both the user for falling victim to such a system and the developer for creating a system which can and will be used illegally.

If you feel the need to publish a disclaimer about how your system can be misused, your system should be changed.

Again, my apologies if I'm coming across brash.  I have an incredibly low tolerance for people who can't even be bothered to pay attention to a game they are willingly playing.
  • One thing I would like to say right now is that customer confidence and satisfaction is literally number 1 for us.
This discussion has been closed.