Sherlock Gnomes - Sparkatron slams Hallifax!

It was a snow day in Hallifax - not too surprising, considering the flecks of ice that constantly skirt the city and the cold that inevitably comes with living so high above. 

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper provided the assembled citizens with delightful icy treats. The power of sugar works wonders on anyone, including the seemingly uptight dwellers of the City of Spires; a snowball fight was initiated, with its initiator innocently claiming the snowball thrown had a mind of its own. Marquis Falaeron decided to employ the same cover for the activation of his gnomish sparkatron - a cover that, as the Fates would have it, held more truth than even the Ascendant could have guessed. 

For the present, however, the citizens agreed that the offending device deserved just punishment. It was soon carried off to Klayok Pavok, who initially rejected the petition to execute the sparkatron, thinking it all nothing but a prank. The subsequent revolts in Rockholm, Ptoma, Angkrag and Southgard interrupted the procedures as the Hallifaxians dispersed. Requests that the executioner keep a close eye on the sparkatron was received with seriousness, however, as it had begun to show errant behavior that gave credibility to the citizens' claim. After the revolts were taken care of, it was revealed that the gnomish device was starting to display alarming rates of sentiency.

You say to Klayok Pavok, Sentinel of State, "It sparked of its own accord, without anyone handling it?"

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "Hmm, just as Falaeron had reported earlier."

Klayok Pavok, Sentinel of State nods his head. "That is so, Grand Libretto. It then continued sparking, to greater effect, as I turned to examine it. Shortly thereafter it vanished."

Barely audible whispers permeate the air as Remmiel enters from the up, a cloud of translucent figures trailing after.
He is followed by a curious young kitten, a frisky puppy, and a hamster in a cage-wheel.

Sublime Opus Nelras says, "When it vanished, did it simply disappear or did it appear to be destroyed?"

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says to Remmiel, "Hrm, this is a State matter, very serious business...are you lost?"

Comprehension flashes across Remmiel's face.

Yarith gives the Widowmaker to Tribal Lord Remmiel Strongleaf.

Tribal Lord Remmiel Strongleaf says, "Sorry, nope, was just getting this back from Yari."

With a flourish of his arm, Remmiel bows deeply.

A cloud of translucent figures trails after Remmiel as he leaves to the southwest, the incomprehensible whispers finally fading.
He is followed by a curious young kitten, a frisky puppy, and a hamster in a cage-wheel.

"I could not say, Opus. I have never witnessed this manner of malfunction before." Klayok Pavok, Sentinel of State glances warily at the departing Serenguard, then at an empty spot on the ground. "I issued a warning to the Deputy Commissars, and have since stood watch over the spot, incase it should...reappear."

Klayok Pavok, Sentinel of State says, "It is evident that I owe you an apology for my assumption regarding the levity of the situation."

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says to Klayok Pavok, Sentinel of State, "I don't mean to be pedantic, Sir...well, yes I do, but...you are always standing watch over this spot."

Sublime Opus Nelras says, "So long as the device is found if it should reappear."

Clapping his hands together with a mild tempo, Yarith Shevat says, "Oh. Not at all. What an exciting discovery. I hope it returns soon so that we can destroy it."

Klayok Pavok, Sentinel of State stares implacably at Phoebus.

Phoebus glances askance.

You say, "I do hope this was not the work of any of our enemies..."

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "I think we're dealing with a rogue bit of technology."

Lord-Librarian Portius Nitraedes, Paragon of Progress says, "If it was, Klayok will assuredly show the gnome mercy when they come to strike again."

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "In any case, it is - thank you, Portius - a dangerous anomaly."

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "And must be...taken care of."

Klayok Pavok, Sentinel of State says to you, "When I spoke briefly with the Deputy Commissars they had noted no intruders."

Deep in thought, Phoebus leans her cheek on her hand.

Xeii nods with more confidence as she murmurs, "It is likely it was an anomaly, then. Perhaps some of us should check the Matrix, in case it turns up there?"

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "So..."

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "I am sort of just hoping it spontaneously reappears here..."

Shedrin ponders for a moment and says "Hrm..."

Klayok Pavok, Sentinel of State chuckles long and heartily.

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "Because I've no clue where else to search for it."

Sublime Opus Nelras says, "In any case, we should be alert in case it does appear again."

Shedrin's crystalline form shifts to a cool sky-blue colour as he looks about.

Waving his paw through the air, Yarith Shevat says, "Oh. I imagine that it will arrive with much fanfare, knowing gnomes."

You say, "I do hope the trail has not gone cold."

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "Do we know anyone who might have an instrument able to track it? Perhaps it left some sort of energy behind."

Yarith Shevat says, "There are several instruments among the professors of the Institute, though I don't believe we actively employ any."

You ask, "Would Professor von Fixit be able to track gnomish creations, perhaps?"

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "All out doing field work, I suppose."

@.
@.
@.

"Eek!" Phoebus shouts in fright.

Yarith Shevat says, "I don't think Professor von Fixit can keep track of his own nose."

Yarith's ears perk up with a sudden interest.

You blink.

Nelras blinks.

You say, "What was that?"

A small mechanical object falls from high up in the air, landing near the Jade Tower.

Sublime Opus Nelras says, "What was that?"

(Hallifax): Maligorn says, "Gods help us.

(Hallifax): Doman says, "...what is going on?".

Klayok Pavok, Sentinel of State opens his mouth as if to say something, but pauses.

Most dispersed, moving about the city in an attempt to locate the offending cylinder before further damage - and frightening hallucinations - could be dealt.

A deathly cold wind sweeps through, causing your very breath to begin to freeze as Phoebus, riding a sparkling amethyst thunderbird, enters from the south.

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "Was it found?"

(Hallifax): Shedrin says, "The sparkatron has been located."

(Hallifax): You say, "Excellent."

(Hallifax): Reylari says, "Destroy it."

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "Who has it?"

(Hallifax): Yarith says, "Oooh. Let us place it in quarantine."

(Hallifax): Yarith says, "Or that, yes."

(Hallifax): Klayok Pavok, Sentinel of State says, "Proceed with caution, Commissar."

(Hallifax): Shedrin says, "Do not interact with the entity."

(Hallifax): Doman says, "Can I get a quick briefing?"

(Hallifax): You say, "A certain gnomish sparkatron has become an anomaly that needs to be disposed of swiftly."

(Hallifax): Reylari says, "Evil Sparkatron, refused to remain disintegrated in the Matrix. Evidently, refuses to stay in quarantine either."

;#+:
     +        ``
    +          :
    '           +
     ,;         ;
     +,:        ;.
      @;:  ``    '
      `#@`@;: ` '#@+.
        +@        :@;
 #+`                    `
@ ,@                   `+#'
@#,
 ,@##'@#
  :#+#+#`#.                       ;@.
    @;@  :                          @,
    `    ;#`                       ` @,
          #;                          @#
          #'                           #@`
           #.                            ;
           ''.                            `
           `;'.                          `@`
              + @#
               ;+ +       `'+@+          #@'##
                `@+.`     ++  `               #:
@,                  '`,;
                   `  ##@:``              ':#.' #
                        .@'            #,`.@#.':#
                         @ `.;
                        `';              '@#@    #
@     ``#  @'  ;
                            .:.   @  ;@', @    `.
                            +@+,,+`  .@#@` @ `      #
                           ` #` ``,#    @   :         +`
                             :@ +.,.'   ` ``#       `' .`
                               ;`@+#@`       #     ` # `;
                               @#         ;     @   +
                                ,              :
                                                .     `:
                                                  ;:`'

A small mechanical object falls from high up in the air, landing near the post office.

Sublime Opus Nelras says, "Near the post office, I think."

(Hallifax): Phoebus says, "...Do not try to pick up the Sparkatron."

(Hallifax): Gero says, "Prepare the Petala."

(Hallifax): Maligorn says, "We don't do that here!"

Ministry of Postal Services.

Maligorn suddenly scoops up the Gnomish Fizgigo Sparkatron 9000.

The Gnomish Fizgigo Sparkatron 9000 quickly jumps out of Maligorn's hands, jumping high into the air and disappearing from view as it blasts you backward.

@.
@.
@.

Force Commander Maligorn Shevat says, "Hhhh."

(Hallifax): Shedrin says, "Do not interact with the entity."

A small mechanical object falls from high up in the air, landing near the Spire of the Lawgivers.

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "Did someone touch it again?"

(Hallifax): Maligorn says, "It was an acquisitio enchantment!"

(Hallifax): Orventa says, "Greetings, Hallifax."

(Hallifax): You say, "Greetings, Professor."

(Hallifax): Phoebus says, "Do not touch the Sparkatron."

+=======+
              * * * * * *| BOOM! |* * * * * *
                         +=======+

Klayok Pavok, Sentinel of State yells, "Citizens, please remain calm as the Sentinel Company works to retrieve an anomalous device."

A small mechanical object falls from high up in the air, landing near the canine management division.

(Hallifax): Orventa says, "Sparkatron?"

(Hallifax): Phoebus says, "Please turn off your acquisitio enchantments."

(Hallifax): Doman says, "We could leave it in Gaudiguch."

Klayok Pavok, Sentinel of State yells, "Rest assured that you are not unwell and that these visions you are experiencing are simply the result of a mechanical malfunction."

Outside the division of canine management.

Painted a festive red colour, this elongated metal cylinder is several hands in length, comparable in size to a human forearm. Golden filigree adorns the exterior of the tube, curling whorls and sweeping spirals of aureate leaf shimmering with a thin coat of polish. Curious knobs and buttons stick out like sore thumbs, begging to be pressed, turned, and pulled. Along the edge of the open end of the barrel is a series of concave and convex lenses, continuously shifting one's depth perception when looked through. A small hand crank juts out from the side, studded with bolts and gears purely for aesthetic purposes.
It weighs about 60 pounds.
It bears the distinctive mark of Falaeron Shevat.
It has the following aliases: sparkatron.

The sparkatron fizzes viciously in the direction of the statue.

(Hallifax): Phoebus says, "I repeat, disable your acquisitio, and I do not attempt to interact with the anomaly."

You glance askance at Phoebus.

(Hallifax): Phoebus says, "Erm, I meant -you- do not interact with it."

(Hallifax): Phoebus says, "This thing has got me all flustered."

Xeii glances from the cylinder to the statue, shifting to a vibrant emerald.

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "I observe that it can touch the air without being disturbed."

Shedrin nods his head emphatically.

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "An aeromancer could perhaps use this to their advantage."

(Symphonium): You say, "Are there any aeromancers available to assist with the anomaly?"

(Hallifax): Shedrin says, "Citizens, we must prepare a safe containment method for the device."

Yarith Shevat says, "We'd need a location to reposition it to for starters or, more favourably, a device to destroy it with."

(Hallifax): Shedrin says, "It should not be physically interacted with."

Alphiona arrives from the south.

Fizzing gouts of varied colours begin cascading from the sparkatron, leaving burnt scars across the statue.

(Symphonium): Doman says, "Alas, all I can do is kick it."

"Eep!", Phoebus screams in fright.

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "H-hey!"

You say to Alphiona, "Be careful."

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "You're messing up my gloriously sculpted figure!"

Sublime Opus Nelras says, "Please can we at least reposition it so that the statue is not damaged?"

Commissar Shedrin Windwhisper says, "Do not interact with the entity."

"A shared purpose," sings Shedrin, playing a crystal spire lute with a rich, flowing tone.

Commissar Shedrin Windwhisper says, "Hmm hmm."

Alphiona, Cadenza Harmonia says to you, "Such a fuss for a little red thing."

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "It's a dangerous anomaly."

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says to Shedrin, "Isn't it your job to contain anomalies?"

You weave your desires into reality as an illusory glamour over a statue of Phoebus, concealing it from sight.

(Hallifax): Shedrin says, "Force Commander, there is a potential theory for the containment."

(Hallifax): Gero says, "The Institute suggests using a dreambody to envelop it."

The sparkatron begins to melt the statue, the marble liquefying as the sparks strike it.

Yarith glances askance.

You wince in pain.

(Hallifax): Shedrin says, "Aeromantic manipulation may also work."

Nelras mutters discontentedly.

Slyly, Yarith Shevat says to Phoebus, "Have you lost weight, Emeritus Windwhisper."

Yarith coughs softly.

Phoebus flaps her wings helplessly at the Sparkatron, attempting to blow it away from the statue.

Alphiona, Cadenza Harmonia asks Yarith, "Its like the pounds have melt right off her?"

The sparkatron continues to throw sparks at the statue, unaffected by the blast of wind.

Xeii raises her bow as if to send a discordant note towards the sparkatron, but pauses uncertainly.

"A shared purpose," sings Shedrin, playing a crystal spire lute with a rich, flowing tone.

Phoebus points an amethyst void blaster at the Gnomish Fizgigo Sparkatron 9000.

Sublime Opus Nelras says to you, "We do not know where it might land next."

Yarith Shevat says, "Please do not interact with gnomish secret weapon until we can gauge the outcome of said interactions."

The sparkatron's sparks continue melting the statue, the face little more than a red molten glob at this point.

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says to Shedrin, "Don't you have protocol for this?"

(Hallifax): Maligorn says, "Ahem."

(Hallifax): Maligorn says, "What do you suggest?"

Commissar Shedrin Windwhisper says, "The permiter has been secured as much as able."

Hopping anxiously from foot to foot, Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "Don't just stand there and sing at it!"

Maligorn peers about himself unscrupulously.

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "It's -melting- me!"

(Hallifax): Shedrin says, "If the entity can be manipulated through wind-based methods."

Force Commander Maligorn Shevat says to Phoebus, "Try not to melt, please. These floors were just cleaned."

(Hallifax): Shedrin says, "We can relocate it to a secure location."

Maligorn hums innocently to himself.

(Hallifax): Maligorn says, "Let me see."

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "Not -me- me, my statue!"

Force Commander Maligorn Shevat says, "Well, a regular gust via Elementalism isn't very effectual."

The sparkatron's sparks reduce the statue's head, amongst other parts, to nothing resembling the Emeritus they once represented.

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "Not that you can tell anymore!"

Phoebus points accusingly at a statue of Phoebus.

Force Commander Maligorn Shevat says, "Well."

Force Commander Maligorn Shevat says, "I'm sure we can repair it."

Yarith Shevat says, "I don't think so. This region will be off limits until latent energies can be examined."

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "Yes, it's evidence now, but."

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper laughingly says, "Someone please put the sparkatron in a box or something."

Maligorn scratches his head in confusion.

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "Envelop it in a cloud and scoot it away."

Commissar Shedrin Windwhisper says to Maligorn, "Force Commander, levitate the entity into a storage unit."

Force Commander Maligorn Shevat says, "Let's see."

The sparkatron shifts, sparks flying upward and beginning to rain down near the onlookers.

You say to Phoebus, "I will sculpt a new statue for you at a later time, Emeritus."

Yarith Shevat looks undecided and says, "Your box would have to be made of a substance with a far greater heat capacity than marble."

Yarith Shevat says, "Diamond mayhaps."

"One Will, One Collective." sings Shedrin, playing light and airy notes on a crystal spire lute.

Force Commander Maligorn Shevat says, "Where is the storage unit? Have you procured one?"

Phoebus gives a glowing diamond to Force Commander Maligorn Shevat.

You say, "I have some diamonds with me now."

Force Commander Maligorn Shevat says, "Charged diamonds might work."

The sparkatron's sparks finally cease, the device seemingly inert at this point.

Phoebus's ears perk up with a sudden interest.

Phoebus points an amethyst void blaster at the Gnomish Fizgigo Sparkatron 9000.

Yarith glances askance at the Gnomish Fizgigo Sparkatron 9000.

Maligorn scratches his head in confusion.

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "...I am going to attempt to pick it up again."

Commissar Shedrin Windwhisper says, "Do not."

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "This may be our only chance!"

Maligorn carefully pushes a palm forward, coaxing a gust of air to blow against the gnomish Sparkatron.

Commissar Shedrin Windwhisper says to Yarith, "Castellan, can the Institute procure a storage unit?"

Phoebus fidgets impatiently.

Yarith pauses for a second, a slight frown upon his face.

The sparkatron sits still, doing nothing. Nothing at all.

Force Commander Maligorn Shevat says, "Very inert."

You say, "It seems worth trying to move it."

Force Commander Maligorn Shevat says, "You mean, like, physically?"

Force Commander Maligorn Shevat says, "That seems unadvisable."

With determination, Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "I am going to pick it up."

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "I have gloves on, it's fine."

Yarith lifts a dainty hand to his neckline, glancing about with uncertain disdain.

Commissar Shedrin Windwhisper says to Phoebus, "Citizen."

Yarith Shevat says to Phoebus, "They better be glassreed."

Nelras takes a step away from Phoebus.

Commissar Shedrin Windwhisper says, "Do not interact with the entity under threat of violation of the Containment Protocols."

Raising a digit in the air, Force Commander Maligorn Shevat says, "Can I still interact with the entity?"

Commissar Shedrin Windwhisper says to Maligorn, "Aeromantically."

A sparkatron does nothing.

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "You can lecture me on containment later, dear. It melted my face off. I'm going to be the one to bring it in."

Yarith Shevat exclaims, "Pick up the box!"

Yarith Shevat exclaims to Phoebus, "For science!"

Force Commander Maligorn Shevat says, "Just hold on."

Phoebus picks up the Gnomish Fizgigo Sparkatron 9000.

The Gnomish Fizgigo Sparkatron 9000 quickly jumps out of Phoebus's hands, jumping high into the air and disappearing from view as it blasts you backward.

@.
@.
@.

Force Commander Maligorn Shevat says, "Hhh."

"By Isune!" Phoebus profanes.

A small mechanical object falls from high up in the air, landing at the Matrix.

Shedrin takes a deep breath as the crystal surface of his face softens and shifts in colour, a muted glow appearing within.

Shedrin takes the Quintessential Mandala of Resplendent Harmony in both hands and bows his head. Swirling ribbons of colour race outwards from the mandala, wrapping about Shedrin as he begins to break down into an infinite number of small, fractal shapes before flaring outwards in a fractal swirl, dissipating into the air.

Emeritus Phoebus Windwhisper says, "The Matrix!"

;#+:
     +        ``
    +          :
    '           +
     ,;         ;
     +,:        ;.
      @;:  ``    '
      `#@`@;: ` '#@+.
        +@        :@;
 #+`                    `
@ ,@                   `+#'
@#,
 ,@##'@#
  :#+#+#`#.                       ;@.
    @;@  :                          @,
    `    ;#`                       ` @,
          #;                          @#
          #'                           #@`
           #.                            ;
           ''.                            `
           `;'.                          `@`
              + @#
               ;+ +       `'+@+          #@'##
                `@+.`     ++  `               #:
@,                  '`,;
                   `  ##@:``              ':#.' #
                        .@'            #,`.@#.':#
                         @ `.;
                        `';              '@#@    #
@     ``#  @'  ;
                            .:.   @  ;@', @    `.
                            +@+,,+`  .@#@` @ `      #
                           ` #` ``,#    @   :         +`
                             :@ +.,.'   ` ``#       `' .`
                               ;`@+#@`       #     ` # `;
                               @#         ;     @   +
                                ,              :
                                                .     `:
                                                  ;:`'
"May this be the first of many new experiences for you, Heart of the Crescendo," Czixi says, smile quirking. "The future is an exciting place."

https://estelss16.deviantart.com/, visit if interested.

Comments

• Oddly enough you all weren't all that far off of how Breandryn and I are handling it. Cascade of comical failures anyone?
  • Haha companionable cube vs Sparkatron was amazing (even if I did mess up the emote /foreverashamed)
  • edited March 2017
    That's awesome! I wish I would have followed the prompts from whomever was puppetting the fitzgarbleatron. There was a very small prompt that I only saw when I looked back at it that we should just put it in the nexus.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    The warranty was voided when someone tampered with it.  No refunds, exchanges, or replacements. 
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Sluelugh said:
    That's awesome! I wish I would have followed the prompts from whomever was puppetting the fitzgarbleatron. There was a very small prompt that I only saw when I looked back at it that we should just put it in the nexus.
    That was a dreamweaver actually. That's why I ignored that suggestion.
  • *TEEHEE*
  • Breandryn said:
    Sluelugh said:
    That was a dreamweaver actually. That's why I ignored that suggestion.
    Even knowing that, I still wish we had. Think of the adventures!
  • No, it being a dreamweaver meant they wanted us to throw it in! We've foiled Hallifax's clever plans!
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Yeah, our clever plans to let you have fun too. :(
  • We did have fun.