AShop! Your New Shopping Experience

This thread is to discuss the new artifact shop!  A number of us have been working throughout today to enhance and improve the system together, and it will only get better with more involvement.

To begin with: Here is the announcement discussing it.

ANNOUNCE NEWS #2710
Date: 3/3/2017 at 6:08
To  : Everyone
Subj: Artifact shop!

Hello everybody,

We have, at this time, released two sets of interlinked features for
your perusal. As it will be a couple days until we have a helpfile up, I
will be covering as much as I can in this newspost for now.

First, we have released the ASHOP/ARTISHOP syntax.

ASHOP CATEGORIES
  ASHOP KEYWORDS
  ASHOP LIST [SALE] [CATEGORY <category>] [KEYWORD <keyword>] [<text>]
  ASHOP <id> [INFO]
ASHOP <id> BUY [AS GIFT FOR <person>] [WITH
<CREDITS/DINGBATS/AETHERGOOP>] [CONFIRM]
  ASHOP <id> TRANSFORM <artifact> [CONFIRM]

Within this is every artifact for sale, including credits, dingbats, and
aethergoop. A list of existing categories and keywords exists within the
first two syntaxes. The third syntax, however, is an interesting one. We
allow several filters, including finding artifacts currently on sale
(which we have built into the system now), limiting by category or
keyword, or even doing a search of the artifact names or text. You will
be given ids, which you can purchase using the info syntax (as you would
with goop normally). If you wish to buy an artifact, you can now do it
from anywhere rather than having to hunt down a shop. Finally, we have
the transform syntax, which works like changing an artifact into a goop
variant, and works with the listed 'skins' in the info, and brings us to
our next section.

ASHOP SKIN LIST
  ASHOP SKIN <id> [INFO]
  ASHOP SKIN <id> RESHAPE (costs 100 goop)

Artifacts are now skinnable. Every goop transformation you buy, as well
as customisation to a skinnable artifact made with the CUSTOMISE syntax,
will be added to your skin list. If you have a skin, you may switch to
it for 100 goop, and you will now always own it. Sadly, we are unable to
make this change retroactively, but it is active for future
transformations.

--

Now, you will probably notice many things are randomly categorised into
miscellaneous, and we lack many keywords. Due to time constraints, we
are actually asking for your help in this. If you have a suggestion for
a category or keyword change or addition, we would ask you to suggest
it.

SUGGEST ARTIFACT <KEYWORD|CATEGORY> <artifact#> <keyword>

This will carry your suggestion straight to us, and we will review and
approve as appropriate. We are not opposed to fine-tuning keywords, so
you can suggest specific ones and not just broad ones.

--

We hope you enjoy this feature and that it helps alleviate some of the
frustration we have all felt in buying artifacts in the past.

Yours,
Ianir the Anomaly.

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    There are a few categories of artifacts.  Many items have now been categorized (though more remain).  These categories are hard-coded and can't have more added (I've already asked).  This will end up meaning that a -lot- of things will be in Miscellaneous, but that is the way it is for now, at least.

Artifact Shop categories include: Weaponry, Combat, Trade, Utility, Miscellaneous, Manse, Aethership, and Consumable. To search in a specific category, use ASHOP LIST CATEGORY <category>

WEAPONRY
        Weaponry artifacts are artifacts which modify or improve weapons or offensive items, including staffs, swords, bludgeons, and musical instruments.

COMBAT
        Combat artifacts are artifacts which add to your offensive or defensive ability in combat.

TRADE
        Trade artifacts are artifacts relating to trade and trade skills.

UTILITY
        Utility artifacts are improve your ability to travel, survive, and influence.

MISCELLANEOUS
        Miscellaneous artifacts are artifacts which do not fit into any other category.

MANSE
        Manse artifacts allow you to add special effects and objects to your aethermanse.

AETHERSHIP
        Aethership artifacts enable you to upgrade your aethership.

CONSUMABLE
        Consumable artifacts are short-lived artifacts which may be consumed for special effects.

Note: These categories are now clickable, so you can just click one (if you have that feature enabled) and it will show you everything currently in it.

Keywords are a more flexible thing, in that they can be entirely free-form.  This all requires approval, so please don't spam them with junk keywords!  Just adds more work to them and bogs down the whole process.  The keywords are, right now, not clickable (that will be coming in the near future), and has some duplicates (the duplicates will be cleaned up sometime within the next day).  You are not restricted just to these keywords, of course, but it's a good place to start!

1. ACQUISITIO    19. CREDITS       37. HUNTING       55. ROOTING
     2. AETHERGOOP    20. CURIO         38. ILLUSIONS     56. SCENT
     3. AETHERSHIPS   21. CURIOS        39. INFLUENCING   57. SCRY
     4. AFFLICTIONS   22. DEBATING      40. JEWELLERY     58. SHROUD
     5. ALCOHOL       23. DEFENSE       41. JEWELRY       59. SLEEP
     6. ALERT         24. DEMESNES      42. LEVITATE      60. SMOKING
     7. ASTRAL        25. DINGBAT       43. MAI           61. SQUAD
     8. ATTUNE        26. DISGUISES     44. MAIL          62. SQUADS
     9. BEAST         27. DISPOSAL      45. MANSE         63. TAILORING
    10. BEASTS        28. DREAMS        46. OFFENSE       64. TATTOOS
    11. BEEPBEEP      29. EMOTES        47. ORDER         65. TELEPORT
    12. BEGGING       30. ENCHANTMENTS  48. PACK          66. TOTEMS
    13. BUBBLIX       31. ESTEEM        49. POISONS       67. TOYS
    14. CELERITY      32. FLIGHT        50. POWER         68. TRADESKILLS
    15. CLANS         33. FORGING       51. QUESTING      69. TRAVEL
    16. CLOTHING      34. GAMES         52. RACES         70. VIAL
    17. CONTAINER     35. HAIR          53. RESURRECTION  71. WALLS
    18. COOKING       36. HERBS         54. RIFT          72. WATERWALK

edited March 2017
    At this point, all the suggested changes (categories and keywords) made thus far have been loaded in, but we can all definitely use some more assistance with these!  If you know of artifacts that you really like for hunting purposes (for example) and they do not show up on ASHOP LIST KEYWORD HUNTING, then you should definitely SUGGEST ARTIFACT KEYWORD ## HUNTING to get it there.  The more keywords we put on these things, the easier it will be for everyone to find things in the future... without having to dig through helpfile after helpfile to find that one elusive artifact (only to find it was never even in a helpfile to begin with-- we've all been there, I'm sure!)

If you don't want to suggest things in-game, please feel free to discuss / comment here and I'll be happy to put in the request myself, but you really can just dive on in and give it a shot. :)
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    I can understand how such a category or keyword might quickly get unwieldy, but perhaps tagging some things as ROLEPLAY would be good?
  • I feel like this is unneeded and overly complicated, what is wrong with going to a shop?

Also, yanno, that whole infinite crate thing.
    Lavinya said:
    And now at least the 'infinite crates' (which have been nerfed again via the wheel) are not exclusive to the lucky rich few. Now we can all access them. Though they're nowhere near as desirable, they are at last accessible. This is a good thing.

I just bought the complete puppy and kitten sets from someone who already had them for less than the price of 1 crate, so now I don't need to buy them... but for a while I was pretty frustrated.

That is another advantage of the new system, it doesn't have stock limitations.  Of course, it does mean that they need to be careful about adding things to it, because if they had put these crates up there with their initial value people would have bought so many.
  • Lavinya said:
    And now at least the 'infinite crates' (which have been nerfed again via the wheel) are not exclusive to the lucky rich few. Now we can all access them. Though they're nowhere near as desirable, they are at last accessible. This is a good thing.

At the time I wrote it, I was not aware that the wheel had been nerfed and was worried about people making even more infinitly more credits off it.
  • Lavinya said:
    And now at least the 'infinite crates' (which have been nerfed again via the wheel) are not exclusive to the lucky rich few. 

What do you mean they have been nerfed again?
  • SazSaz
    edited March 2017
    @Elryn

Entered by: Ianir the Anomaly                   Date: 2017-03-04 01:03:04
     o Edited chance of promotional item on wheel again.

It's vague and we just presume it's a nerf, because other way around would be... :3 

"Oh the year was 453CE, how I wish I was in Serenwilde now... aletter of marque come from the regent to the scummiest aethership I ever seen, gods damn them all...I was told we'd cruise the void for auronidion and dust, we'd fire no turrets, shed no tears.. now I'm a broken man on a Hallifax tier, the last of Saz's privateers."

-Kilian
    Saz said:
    @Elryn

Entered by: Ianir the Anomaly                   Date: 2017-03-04 01:03:04
     o Edited chance of promotional item on wheel again.

It's vague and we just presume it's a nerf, because other way around would be... :3 

Ianir later clarified that it was a very tiny tweak / adjustment that might have modified things by about 2% (didn't say in which direction).
  • It feels pretty big, but I only bought one crate post tweak, so it might have been bad luck on my part but people who bought more seem to feel the same.
    edited March 2017
    Tirah said:
    It feels pretty big, but I only bought one crate post tweak, so it might have been bad luck on my part but people who bought more seem to feel the same.
    I can tell you that when I logged off last night, Gero had just bought a whole pile of coins and was waiting to spin them.  ~8 hours later, I logged in and Gero is standing with Yet Another Huge Batch of Coins ready to spin more.

So... you may have had bad luck, but at least one player seems to be thinking it's still a pretty good deal.

Edit: From what I can tell, you now have to basically trade in everything credit-related to break even (which means converting your goop into artifacts and trading them in as well).  Then the other things like dingbats and lessons and crit/TF blessings are a bonus on top of it.  Someone-not-named-Gero-but-you-can-probably-guess-who invested 12k worth of coins and got 12037 credits back, plus a fair bit of other random detritus.

Basically means you will have permanent critical hit blessings and TFs though.
  • FalaeronFalaeron Jolteon
    edited March 2017
    In the long run, I've still been seeing a small profit (like <5%). If you are only going for a few crates then just keep in mind that there is a rather large variance. You could come away pretty disappointed, as I've seen many people do, or you could come away with a bit more than you went in with, which I have also seen people do. Basically, don't spend what you can't afford.