Manse upgrades

So I keep looking at my manse, and I'd really like to build it up. But at the same time I have the expectation that once I've done that it'll just sit there and not really be used. I mean I'm looking at maybe 1000 credits for trees/winds miniatures for no reason other than it makes the most sense to me for the manse to be primarily outdoors in a forest area, but then it's possibly going to sit there forever.

I feel that if you're going to have a manse that is primarily one terrain type then you should be able to set that as a default terrain and then the cost for rooms that go against that default should be increased. 
For example, if you were to craft a desert then you should be able to set your default terrain as outside desert(so any standard room box would inherit this) but if you want to start crafting inside rooms then you'd need to be paying extra to make inside rooms (I kinda feel it should be this way as default tbh) or if you build towards a beach then you'd be paying extra for a beach terrain. 
Ultimately, this change would mean a wider selection of terrain types available for manses which would be nice, it might reduce income from the replaced artefacts but it would also create a gold/credit dump by opening up the options.

The next thing that I've been thinking about is about how to make the manse become more a reflection of the owner. As such, I would really love to see options open up for org/guild/order based objects. I'd really love to see an options for a generic shrine, effectively a fourth shrine type that does nothing other than accept essence. Or a selection of guild/org objects based on your rank/position that don't decay even if you lose said position. For a very simplistic example, the Execumatrix might have a crystal tablet of ever shifting data or the like.
These would create a... trophy room like expansion for the manses, obviously you could only have one per room so you'll need to expand the manse if you want to have your latest achievement recorded and if there are some that you grow ashamed of you have the option of either destroying it forever or hiding it somewhere. 

That reminded me of how much collecting has been going on and this lead me to thinking of collector objects, for example a doll stand that holds your dolls or something to hold curios for when they're not in use.

Anyway, so all of that is really personal but then we also have those org based manses which won't get to really benefit from this. The only real ideas I have for this are family manses and basically this would come at the cost of both manses never being able to become ships. Basically what I would like to see is the ability for a room in a manse owned by a great house to be connected to the manse of a member of that family, it would create an archway that can be entered on either side and that would take you to the paired archway.

Slowly running out of steam, but yeah these are just mainly a random collection of ideas and I'm wondering if there are other ideas that are out there. The biggest thing I guess is that I'd really not want to see these be even more artifacts, maybe construction would require the owner to invest in a skill that requires credits to learn rather than lessons. I don't know, I feel like I'd be spending more on manses if the costs were smaller but there was more customisation beyond just furniture.

Comments

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    edited April 2013
    Saran said:
    For a very simplistic example, the Execumatrix might have a crystal tablet of ever shifting data or the like.
    Something like this could easily be done with item customization (in this case: start with book, purchase customized description and non-decay, but not resetting). I feel it makes more sense to harp on that than to afford it in some sort of manse-specific manner. I like the terrain idea.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Eritheyl said:
    Saran said:
    For a very simplistic example, the Execumatrix might have a crystal tablet of ever shifting data or the like.
    Something like this could easily be done with item customization (in this case: start with book, purchase customized description and non-decay, but not resetting). I feel it makes more sense to harp on that than to afford it in some sort of manse-specific manner. I like the terrain idea.

I feel that if you do that though it diminishes it though, like if this had existed through the years Saran would have like... six guild membership objects, two for org membership, two for guild leadership, five for guild appointment, and one or two for org appointment I guess. Now I could customise a heap of objects but that runs into my original issue that there is no real incentive in doing that because, at best, you're rewarding yourself not getting something that you couldn't otherwise get. It also doesn't encourage investment in the manse as the objects could just be dumped in a single room.

The other issue of course is what is appropriate, the book in the example is something that you could customise. Having a clearly magical elder moonhart tree growing in your manse because you're rank cr6 in serenwilde, or perhaps having a roaring inferno for services to the pyromancers, are things that can't really be replicated.

I dunno, it speaks to the show-off I guess. I know my manse would have all of the ones I'd earned (probably with a hidden and locked cave holding the ones I didn't particularly want out in public view) but if I'm going to spend ~200 credits on something i'd maybe have like... something for the Hartstone, Serenwilde, and maybe one or two gods. Which at that point... I've spent 800 credits and that's if I can find a suitable base item.

Another thing that would be nice would be the ability to put the manse shop somewhere other than the fulcrux
  • Saran said:
    I feel that if you do that though it diminishes it though, like if this had existed through the years Saran would have like... six guild membership objects, two for org membership, two for guild leadership, five for guild appointment, and one or two for org appointment I guess. Now I could customise a heap of objects but that runs into my original issue that there is no real incentive in doing that because, at best, you're rewarding yourself not getting something that you couldn't otherwise get. It also doesn't encourage investment in the manse as the objects could just be dumped in a single room.

The other issue of course is what is appropriate, the book in the example is something that you could customise. Having a clearly magical elder moonhart tree growing in your manse because you're rank cr6 in serenwilde, or perhaps having a roaring inferno for services to the pyromancers, are things that can't really be replicated.

I dunno, it speaks to the show-off I guess. I know my manse would have all of the ones I'd earned (probably with a hidden and locked cave holding the ones I didn't particularly want out in public view) but if I'm going to spend ~200 credits on something i'd maybe have like... something for the Hartstone, Serenwilde, and maybe one or two gods. Which at that point... I've spent 800 credits and that's if I can find a suitable base item.

Another thing that would be nice would be the ability to put the manse shop somewhere other than the fulcrux
    I believe you need admin help with that. For example, deepnight has that.

Terrain would be amazing as well, or a way to introduce wildlife that isn't exactly buying tons of customizable beasts.

Something I would splurge credits on though, is creating quests for the manses. Or to create a port in aetherspace with 5, 6 aethermanses grouped up together to creating a floating city in the stars (daydreams)
  • Something I'd love to see is multi-planar manses. You'd be able to forge rifts to the Ethereal, Elemental, Cosmic and Astral planes through your aethermanse, giving you several building levels.

And no, I'm not asking to be able to create rifts to Cosmic from a manse; I'm just talking within the same manse. So your Astral pocket linked to your manse wouldn't be the same as, say, Leo.
  • I'd love some sort of manse power generator type arti that acts like a nexus. Unlike a ship collector you can put elemental essence into it to generate power that you can link like a regular astral node or nexus. But this is for personal use or you can set it to allow certain other people to link from it too. I dunno, I'd buy it.

"But paradise is locked and bolted...

We must make a journey around the world

to see if a back door has perhaps been left open."

-Heinrich Von Kleist, "On the Puppet Theater"

• Sakr said:

I believe you need admin help with that. For example, deepnight has that.

Terrain would be amazing as well, or a way to introduce wildlife that isn't exactly buying tons of customizable beasts.

Something I would splurge credits on though, is creating quests for the manses. Or to create a port in aetherspace with 5, 6 aethermanses grouped up together to creating a floating city in the stars (daydreams)

The closest I've gotten to wildlife was reincarnating a few animals in the manse, but they tend to wander through doors I'd rather they not.

Mmm aetherspace city could be cool though, I do think it'd need to be a deal of... you evolve the algontherine into a station and it can no longer fly.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited May 2013
    If they can open magically closed doors to wander through them, I would BUG that.  Otherwise, you can lock them into a little wildlife refuge.

Edit: Alternatively, put the refuge on the northeast end of your manse, with a couple of up exits to boot.  Almost none of them will ever wander out of their little safe zone.  NPCs like to go up and then north by northeast, as their random wandering pattern goes.
  • Ah, that would explain the clumps of mobs in particular rooms. I've always wondered what was so special about the gardens that led so many Tosha monks to gather there.
  • Xenthos said:
    If they can open magically closed doors to wander through them, I would BUG that.  Otherwise, you can lock them into a little wildlife refuge.

Edit: Alternatively, put the refuge on the northeast end of your manse, with a couple of up exits to boot.  Almost none of them will ever wander out of their little safe zone.  NPCs like to go up and then north by northeast, as their random wandering pattern goes.

It doesn't seem like they open them, they just seem to ignore them or at least that was what I remembered and assumed it was just easier than having npcs being forced to deal with doors while just wandering around.
    Saran said:
    Xenthos said:

It doesn't seem like they open them, they just seem to ignore them or at least that was what I remembered and assumed it was just easier than having npcs being forced to deal with doors while just wandering around.
    Most NPCs have to handle doors.  They don't walk through them.

Examples:
    1) When I was a newbie, I did the murder mystery quest in Stewartsville.  I failed it, and the shadowy figure came out to murder me.  I fled, closing and locking a door behind me.  For the next 5 minutes I stood there watching the door get battered as the figure tried to get through it to kill me, hoping that it would not be able to bash that door down (it didn't).
    2) I murder cows by collecting them, leading them into Glom's commodity cache, and closing the door.  They do not run away when their exit is blocked by a closed door.
  • Xenthos said:

2) I murder cows by collecting them, leading them into Glom's commodity cache, and closing the door.  They do not run away when their exit is blocked by a closed door.
    Can I just say this sounds absolutely terrifying to witness? Dozens of cows, all of them running in terror at the scent of blood, stampeding around an underground warehouse, and Xenthos in the middle of it killing anything near him.
    You're leaving out Ilistala playing with the terrified cows as she leaps and bounds around the room, taking swipes and the occasional bite.  Those leopards sure do love to have their fun. :)
    Mmm, cows.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    We can also tell Everiine has never had a Glom alt. :/
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I did, once, but very briefly. Tried out the Blacktalon. It last very long, but that's only because I didn't have enough time to devote to two characters at once, and Ev's my favorite (I also had Aeromancer and Pyromancer alts, but the same thing happened--I just don't have time to have two characters).
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.