That's the Motto

What are the reasons your characters have their moto?
The deep, rumbling voice of Weiwae says from within your heart, "I am so happy to hear of your progress, and I thank you for bringing my influence over more shards of My Brother Tae."

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    What motto?
  • edited April 2017
    Grand Monger Subotai, Hambassador of the Hungry (Male Demigod).

His motto: 'Believe me, sweetie, I've got enough to feed the needy.'

The deep, rumbling voice of Weiwae says from within your heart, "I am so happy to hear of your progress, and I thank you for bringing my influence over more shards of My Brother Tae."
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Dar has the four principles that guide his decisions and interactions. 
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • edited April 2017
    Reylari Windwhisper (Female Timeless Demigoddess Changeling).

Her motto: 'To entertain doubt, is to dance with death.'

I thought it sounded fitting. It's a quote from Izaro in Path of Exile... Dude has so many good quotes. Entire quote is actually, "When the time comes to strike, an emperor strikes without hesitation. To entertain doubt, is to dance with death." - but the last part still rings true, even without the rest.

Lots of chilling quotes in that game.
    Email:        el.ni93@hotmail.com
    Discord:    Rey#1460
  • His motto: 'Happiness is boring - let me spread sorrow.'

The inspiration for my motto comes from here: http://mangafox.me/manga/mahou_sensei_negima/v12/c107/3.html (specifically, this page and the next)

• PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Something something service.
  • edited April 2017
    Orv's motto: "I know, I know, but you know, you never know!"

Bit of a joke/song that arose from a April Fool's/St. Stupid's day celebration parade back in SF. 

There are absolutes, there are paradoxes, in the end... Ish happens and life goes on. Just go with it.

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    edited April 2017
    His motto: 'Burst thy cage asunder.'

I was designing tattoos for that hot minute I spent in Drocilla's order, and was really hung up on birdcages for a while. While googling birdcage motifs, I came across that line on someone's piece - it's an excerpt from the Hidden Words, the full entry reading as such:

O SON OF SPIRIT! Burst thy cage asunder, and even as the phoenix of love soar into the firmament of holiness. Renounce thyself and, filled with the spirit of mercy, abide in the realm of celestial sanctity.

As someone who loves digging into all sorts of faiths and observances, I was really pleased with how it kicked off what became a really fulfilling examination; it just struck a certain chord. And, of course, it fit in a rather twisted way with Eritheyl's own beliefs at the time, and continues translating in new and different ways to what his amalgam of beliefs has become.

Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    As a person with a warcry, I'm feeling fairly discriminated against.

• ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    edited April 2017
    Mine used to be "the outcome justifies the deed", which was just another way to say

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/the_end_justifies_the_means

The latest is one just an adaptation of Franz Beckenbauer's quote regarding winning - you don't necessarily have to be stronger than the other team to be the winners; it's the winners who are strong. It resonates with my pk philosophy.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/270417-the-strong-one-doesn-t-win-the-one-that-wins-is
  • No need to be greedy, I guess.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I've got alts by the layers, played by a single player.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Stratas's motto is "Beauty is power, and art is its sword."

It's pretty straightforward in meaning. Stratas has always held that Beauty is the ultimate power in the world, for various philosophical reasons, and art is the means of getting beauty to people most directly. It justifies his career as a designer.

The actual quote is "Beauty is power, a smile is its sword" said by one John Ray. I just changed it a little bit.
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • edited April 2017
    Eldanien's mottos have been:

For we have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.  (Or rather, a condensed version because this one is too long.)
    The wings of hope bear me through darkened skies.

Both of these come from Oldsune's Celest Order, circa forever ago.  The first was, IIRC, inscribed on the 'order pendant' item that she had us design for a contest.  The latter came up during Magnagora's early curbstomping of Celest, a reference to her title as the Wings of Hope.

edit: I just remembered Elaria (no relation) also has that first motto.

• edited May 2017
    Lynnie said:
    No need to be greedy, I guess.
    should be "gimme honeycakes" :P
  • edited May 2017
    "I am the Night" because I was the Night and you aren't. 

As a Pyro it was "burn it all," or some similar throwaway fire motto. Because...lolfire.
    Known Aliases: Celina/Cyndarin/Fire Jesus/The Night/That Bitch who griefed us
  • Zitto said:
    What's the motto?
    ...nothing, whattsa motto with you?
    I have restrained myself from making this joke ever since the thread opened.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Her motto: 'Never be content with your lot.'

It's a deliberate subversion of the bible verse that says 'always be content with your lot', because Morgfyre and hungry and never be satisfied and always hunger for the next thing. As much a reminder to herself as a word to everyone else.

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Something along the lines of 'Chin up and keep going'.

Bad things happen, people you love will leave and die, and you'll make more mistakes than you know what to do with. In the end, though, only you can decide your worth, so keep your head high and know that while the past is set in stone the future is full of possibility.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    "On the scale of nations."

It's just gloating. There was a period when I had more published books on Portius than Gaudiguch had published altogether. I don't think that's the case anymore, since Gaudi has been publishing a lot lately, but it was valid at the time. I just haven't bothered to change the motto.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    Trust not what you see, but what your heart tells you

Really derived from the time when everybody was stuck in the dreaming, aeldra firmly believes that people need to stop trusting in merely what their eyes can see and listen more to what their heart tells them is the truth.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • My motto: Die. Die. Just die. For real.

I chose it..well honestly because I love killing things. Its lame, I know, but well, it's the truth!
  • It's just a part of my bard song