Ability to Affect the World

Hey folks,

I'm a newbie here at Lusternia, but I'm loving it so far. I just wanted to ask about a player's ability to make a mark on the world.

A big reason I chose to come to Lusternia over Achaea was because it seemed as if Achaea is kind of in its fourth age (in Tolkien terms), meaning that all of the big events have happened for the most part and a new player would be very unlikely to make a big impact on the world at this point. This being said, while Lusternia hasn't been around nearly as long as Achaea, it is by no means a young game by now. So I guess my question is: would someone like me, just starting the game now, be able to make an impact in world events down the road and really become a part of the world's history?

Hopefully this isn't a silly question and I haven't wasted anyone's time. Thanks for any responses/thoughts you can give.

~Silmor

Comments

• SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Hey, Silmor!

Factions just started up... which is really just a whole guild reboot. Everyone is finding their footing. In general, before, you could mark your place in Lusternia with the old guild system, but right now, you really have the potential to have a lot of influence. A lot of guilds are being welcoming and listening to newer players too. Definitely the right time to jump in.

Also, yes, even later, you could make a huge mark on the game. Go for it, and welcome!
  • Definitely agree with factions. On top of that, I wanted to add that Lusternia's player-base is not as large as Achaea's - an excited and engaged new citizen will find themselves drawn in, appreciated and given far more opportunities here. You aren't just a face in the crowd and you can have a hand in shaping history. Wondir is brand new and placed in the Ascension events for her writing! I began back in July and was the sole witness to a Goddess's fulcrux (their strongest "place" in mortal territory) crumbling to ruins. Veyils started half a year ago and is a city leader! Falaeron has been playing for less than two years and he was Ascended, the highest achievement a mortal can earn!

So, yes, here is a good place to play -  it's a smaller pond with room for you to become a big fish. Now is a perfect time to start as each city and commune is reshaping who they are - you can have a hand in that!
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Absofreakinglutely. Stay motivated, work hard, keep your mind open to new possibilities, and you'll be where you want to be in no time.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Thanks for the replies folks! I didn't know the Guilds were being rebooted. That's really exciting to hear. I better get playing!
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Absolutely you can leave a mark on the world! Especially if you dig down into the lore of the world and explore different RP avenues. You'd be surprised what exists in Lusternia now that was actually created entirely by players :) .
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Yea factions is going to be the big thing, you can get in on the ground level and your actions can decide the entire shaping and tradition of the faction.
  • Forgive me if this is a stupid question (and perhaps in need of a whole other topic), but have the factions already been implemented or are they still in the process? My guild is The Swarm, will I have to do anything when the switch is made?
  • Silmor said:
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question (and perhaps in need of a whole other topic), but have the factions already been implemented or are they still in the process? My guild is The Swarm, will I have to do anything when the switch is made?
    Factions would be the name of the overhaul (and for a while, we considered changing the name Guild to Faction but ended up not doing so for reasons). The switch has already been made, and The Swarm is one of Glomdoring's new guilds in the faction system.

Currently, everybody's pretty much in a discussion phase, deciding where they want their guilds to go and how they want them led (and who by). This will likely culminate when elections close (they take about a week, and we're opening them on the 5th of May at midnight GMT), at which point the administration will be reiterating the point to all new guild leaders to discuss and work with their guilds as they start to codify things.

It's a weird point of turmoil because at this point everybody's getting a fresh start, so while there's a lot of established players, everybody's starting out on similar footing in a way.
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
  • Even ignoring factions, there are a ton of ways that you can have your work recognized and immortalized within the game itself. First of all. The admin here are generally really good about not only making sure that people are mentioned in event newspost, but making it so that as many people as possible get a stab at participating in events. And what you do during an event can help shape how the event plays out.

And even outside events there are things to do that becomes enameled into the world of Lusternia. The Serenguard introduced several spirits into the game. The Aeromancers designed hard air construction, and we got an observatory built from it. And very recently my effort to get a radio tower into Hallifax was repaid by the unveiling of the Crystal Resonance Tower.

All it takes is hard work and dedication. But the admin here are fantastic about weaving player feedback into the gameworld.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    An example of how you can leave a mark on the world without being the best at everything.

Ev once played a few games of tag with the centaur colts (an admin had taken possession of the mod for the interaction). Ev would talk to them on occasion, just checking in. He started doing the Hifarae Hills quest over and over, because I like the quest and the centaurs, and one day, the centaurs called him Centaur Brother.

After that, all the centaurs called him "brother", and it's led to some really awesome, neat interactions. No, it didn't change the landscape of the world. No, it's not something everyone can see in a newspost. But those interactions -did- change the centaurs and Ev's relationship to them.

Not all marks on the world have to be big. But they do last.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • In Tolkien terms you could say that Lusternia is in it's third age. Lusternia was born in the first age. The elder gods fought a bitter war against the soulless gods and from their shards the denizens were born. The great evil (Kethuru the almighty) was imprisoned.

The rise and fall of the first forest and the most holy Celestian empire were probably the dominating events of the second age.

Then we have third age. Where Lusternia deals with the taint that was let loose upon the basin of life during the second age and fights to keep Kethuru the almighty imprisoned behind the nine seals.

Fourth age? Who knows. It's yet to be written.
  • @Skanylla Thanks for that description. These days it's hard for my brain to make sense of things unless they are loosely compared to Lord of the Rings. I was reading about the Elder Wars on the lore wiki. Things got so dark! Incredible stuff.

@Ianar Thanks for clearing things up. I'm excited to get involved in The Swarm even more now.

@Kiradawea @Everiine I love stories like this. Small or large, it's nice to hear about how people have made a mark in Lusternia.

You guys have all done an incredible job of answering my questions. You're all great!  :)
  • You're welcome, and welcome to Lusternia. Feel free to poke me IG if you'd like me to tell you more.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Ianir said:

<snip>

It's a weird point of turmoil because at this point everybody's getting a fresh start, so while there's a lot of established players, everybody's starting out on similar footing in a way.
    I read that as "similar frosting" at first and had to re-read because I couldn't figure out what frosting had to do with it.

I think I need a cupcake.

Oh, uh, on-topic... Yeah, small pond big fish and all that.