Multiple Characters

Heya Folks,

I was perusing various IRE forums and reddits and noticed that many people claim that Lusternia players are more prone to playing multiple characters than in other games. I.E. playing a character in in Hallifax and another character in Magnagora or something like that. Note that most of the people who mentioned this were not Lusternia players themselves.

Would you say that this is true though? Is having multiple characters from different cities/guilds is common here? If so, how would you say this affects the social and political dynamic of the world?

If you are a player with multiple characters, does it sometimes become difficult to keep track or make decisions in RP or warfare situations?

Anyway, hopefully this is a worthwhile discussion and I'm not wasting forum space. Thanks for any input you have!

~Silmor

Comments

• Silmor said:
    Heya Folks,

I was perusing various IRE forums and reddits and noticed that many people claim that Lusternia players are more prone to playing multiple characters than in other games. I.E. playing a character in in Hallifax and another character in Magnagora or something like that. Note that most of the people who mentioned this were not Lusternia players themselves.

Would you say that this is true though? Is having multiple characters from different cities/guilds is common here? If so, how would you say this affects the social and political dynamic of the world?

If you are a player with multiple characters, does it sometimes become difficult to keep track or make decisions in RP or warfare situations?

Anyway, hopefully this is a worthwhile discussion and I'm not wasting forum space. Thanks for any input you have!

~Silmor
    Are we including MKO (may it rest in pieces) in the assessment of King of the Alt Playgrounds? Because that will go a long way towards determining my answer.

#screwyouclandragon
  • AFAIK people are just taking the "Shaddus alts everywhere" joke and drags it out to it's illogical conclusion. Most of those I know who speak of alts have no alts of their own.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • FalaeronFalaeron Jolteon
    I don't think there's anything about Lusternia that makes it more "alt-friendly" than the other IRE games. There are certainly people who enjoy making many alts and there are those who don't really alt at all, just like you would find in the other IRE games.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    I was under the impression Lusternia is no more or less alt-filled than other IREs. I don't alt but some people do. Never felt like I was swimming in alts when I logged in, though.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Alts are the devil. 
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I'd think Lusternia's multiple conflict events would make it tough to make mechanical contributions on multiple sides of the fence. But some folks just like RPing in different environments, which is A-ok.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • I don't alt, if I want to try something new I orghop/guildhop
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Shaddus said:
    Daraius said:
    I'd think Lusternia's multiple conflict events would make it tough to make mechanical contributions on multiple sides of the fence. But some folks just like RPing in different environments, which is A-ok.
    It's not actually that hard. You just have to remember that you're not really (your favorite character's org) irl, and whatever org you're in when a fight breaks out is the org you help. 
    Yeah, that's my rule for myself. If conflict breaks out when I'm logged in, that's the character I have to stay on. No switching, even to a different character on the same side!
  • Phoebus said:
    Yeah, that's my rule for myself. If conflict breaks out when I'm logged in, that's the character I have to stay on. No switching, even to a different character on the same side!
    Isn't this kinda against the rules anyway? Or is that another way Lusternia differs from literally all other IRE games?

Generally if say... A domoth happened that Mag couldn't help with, and you jumped on your Gaudi alt to help them instead, that was highly frowned upon by admin. (As an example) Something something seconds abuse.
    Email:        el.ni93@hotmail.com
    Discord:    Rey#1460
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Reylari said:
    Phoebus said:
    Isn't this kinda against the rules anyway? Or is that another way Lusternia differs from literally all other IRE games?

Generally if say... A domoth happened that Mag couldn't help with, and you jumped on your Gaudi alt to help them instead, that was highly frowned upon by admin. (As an example) Something something seconds abuse.
    Yup, you're definitely not supposed to do it. But it can also be a really hard urge to resist for some people, especially since it's a difficult thing to enforce. That's why if you're gonna alt around, you need to hold yourself to specific rules that you define beforehand. If you set your boundaries before the issues come up, it's a lot easier to ignore any temptation to go help out when your favorite dudes are in trouble.
  • Phoebus said:
    Reylari said:
    Phoebus said:

Yup, you're definitely not supposed to do it. But it can also be a really hard urge to resist for some people, especially since it's a difficult thing to enforce. That's why if you're gonna alt around, you need to hold yourself to specific rules that you define beforehand. If you set your boundaries before the issues come up, it's a lot easier to ignore any temptation to go help out when your favorite dudes are in trouble.
    I don't think I could do it. I am curious about Hallifax, but I'm too loyal to Glomdoring so I feel as if I'd be tempted to break my own rules pretty soon. Plus it would be potentially expensive to end up investing in two characters.
  • Shaddus said:
    Alts are the devil. 
    I'm sorry, but I've seen this mindset (whether or not you're joking) literally destroy a game before. However damaging you might think alts are, alt-hate is doubly so.
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Versalean said:
    Shaddus said:
    Alts are the devil. 
    I'm sorry, but I've seen this mindset (whether or not you're joking) literally destroy a game before. However damaging you might think alts are, alt-hate is doubly so.
    Shaddus was just being cheeky. He's the alt-king.
  • edited May 2017
    Okay, than no foul - (ETA) and apologies for my misreading it. Just that MKO really was an alt-hunting nightmare. That fourth wall was in tatters.
  • Silmor said:
    Phoebus said:
    Reylari said:
    Phoebus said:

I don't think I could do it. I am curious about Hallifax, but I'm too loyal to Glomdoring so I feel as if I'd be tempted to break my own rules pretty soon. Plus it would be potentially expensive to end up investing in two characters.
    If you're curious about a nation I recommend that you just make contact with someone from said org. There's usually a few in each org that won't automatically bite your head off, and they'll be able to at least give you a taste of what their org is like.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    After all, we sniped Tirah straight outta Gaudi.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    What Kiradawea said -- don't feel like you need to alt to learn about a city. There's always avenues of figuring out things on your own. Hallifax, for example, only outright bans Gaudiguchians from entering the city. Glomdoring and Magnagora, so long as they aren't enemied, aren't disruptive and behave themselves are usually allowed to pass through freely.

Silmor said:
    Phoebus said:
    Reylari said:
    Phoebus said:

No need to invest! Just play the second character without investing, and only when you think it's worth investing in would you do so.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Maligorn said:
    What Kiradawea said -- don't feel like you need to alt to learn about a city. There's always avenues of figuring out things on your own. Hallifax, for example, only outright bans Gaudiguchians from entering the city. Glomdoring and Magnagora, so long as they aren't enemied, aren't disruptive and behave themselves are usually allowed to pass through freely.
    Except for that one time that Shaddus came to chat with Ordassa about designs and almost got straight out attacked by a few people, this is true. >.<
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    That is why I included the caveat of "usually". Just depends on the atmosphere, like if we just got Continuum raided, or angry mobs are storming our city, etc. PK/event anxiety makes people antisocial. Dunno if anything Bad was happening when you were visiting, though.

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I keep a strict rule when I'm switching characters; unless it's an urgent thing I'm late/scheduled for, I always wait ten minutes between logout and login.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."