NYC Meet - Spring 2017

Comments

• We'll have to remedy that ;)
  • Puts ten gallon hat on.  Clears throat.  "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEhah."
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    Plans are almost set for travel and accommodation. Excited :)

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• Selenity said:
    I was thinking of the following itinerary myself for the 20th:

1. Lunch at Avlee Greek Kitchen at 11:30 AM to whenever we're done nomming
    2. 30 minute ride on public transport to get to Brooklyn Botanical Garden
    3. Mosey about there for a few hours
    4. Ride into Manhattan to eat dinner *somewhere*
    5. Karaoke in Manhattan *somewhere*

---

Edit:

Figure you spend between $8 and $60 (if you're being ridiculous) plus tax and tip at Avlee. Brooklyn Botanical Garden is $15. Dinner will probably be $20-$75 wherever we go in Manhattan. Throw on $9 per hour per person for karaoke, say 3 hours of karaoke, easy $30. You'll need at least 5 fares on your metrocard for getting around, so that's $14.

This itinerary would cost anyone hopping along between $87 and $194, depending how extravagant that person wants to be.
    We did Karaoke last time we had our NYC meet, and it was awesome. Excited!
    -----

Nilofer says, "Xena is here, riding Xena, the Xenaesque Xena. She is wielding Xena in both of her hands."
  • Also, if anyone is down for going to a club, I'd be totally down for that too (20th or 21st).
    -----

Nilofer says, "Xena is here, riding Xena, the Xenaesque Xena. She is wielding Xena in both of her hands."
  • Definitely in for karaoke (maybe dinner in K-town and then one of the numerous karaoke places around there). Possibly in for club.
  • Hey! So I am last minute deciding if I will go - does anyone have any hostel/hotel recommendations?
    Flames erupt from the caldera below as a distorted voice echoes, "Their spirit must be broken if they wish to be reborn as true warriors."
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    @Sylvanas I'll defer to the locals for the recommendations, but I think some people are still making accommodation plans if you wanted to try to split room costs.

So let's get some commitments. To ping all of the former yes/maybe's...

Let us know if you're coming, and PM me if we need to exchange contact information and/or if you want to be included in plans outside of Saturday. For the meet on the 20th, Selenity and Kalaneya's suggestions seem like a good plan, and we can firm up the details (any ideas for karaoke spots?). Then on Sunday some of us wanted to see the Lion King on Broadway at 3p (tickets are ~$150-200), and we'll probably end up doing some kind of touristy things around that.

Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones! :)
  • Sior said:
    I will be making an appearance!

Good. Kelly came through for me.
  • I reallly really want to, but I'm saving monies for other thing this summer. :( I'd usually take the bus from DC to manhattan for day trip, but that also involves getting up crazy early.

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    I'm perfectly find with @Kalaneya's idea to do Karaoke and Dinner in K-Town. In fact, I'll even let her take the lead there. It's all you, Kalaneya!

For the earlier half, though, if more than four of us are going to go to Avlee, I need to call ahead of time so they don't have heart failure if like 8 of us appear like "hayyy can we has fud nao."

On that note... the Greek Food and the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, who's planning to hop along for that?
    edited May 2017
    I think @Lyora and I will probably be in for Greek food and the Gardens. We may be really a little tired from the trip though, since we'll be travelling through the night.

Also 100% in for a nightclub (in fact, I really want to see what NYC has to offer in that regard). :)

Before an earthly flight

• @Rancoura - My attendance at these events depends on who else is attending ;)

Just kidding...I will go where you go. Maybe not the nightclub but I will wait for you and see that you get to the hotel safely. <3
  • I'm in, flying in friday afternoon, and out monday.

Lion King sounds fun!
  • In for Saturday, including Greek food and gardens.

Sent this to Kelly as well. Happy to make reservations or whatnot once we get a head count.

As far as karaoke, I've really only been to places in Koreatown. MK, Duet 35, and Gagopa were all good. I've been to other places in that area randomly and most places are generally alright as well except for Karaoke Wow bc they didn't have I Want It That Way by the Backstreet Boys and I mean holy shit, I just can't abide that kind of nonsense. For a Saturday night, would be best to get a reservation. 

For dinner prior to karaoke, if we're looking in Koreatown, I like Five Senses (don't take reservations and they tend to be busy), BCD Tofu House (busy, no reservations), Seoul Garden (less busy and can usually walk in and get a table). Jongro BBQ was a good experience, but I keep basically vegetarian, so I don't think I can speak to the full meaty experience. Barn Joo is tapas-style and pretty good but only take reservations for >8 people. Also Grace Street for dessert if people are into that. There are also a ton of Indian places a few blocks away from K-town that take reservations and are great. 

What I don't know anything about is nightlife because I am super, super lame.

I've already seen the Lion King, so I'll skip out on that, but if there's anything else going on Sunday, let me know and I might join up.
    edited May 2017
    Okay, so, so far, we have four people confirmed for the whole day of shenanigans on Saturday - Kalaneya, Lyora, Rancoura, and myself. Partial day shenanigans (read: Karaoke) seems to Xena and Kelly so far.

Kalaneya, I personally prefer Duet 35 but mostly from not having gone to the others. Though Duet also has points in my book because you can look up songs before you even go. Only problem is they're usually packed to the hilt so we definitely will need a reservation for there.
    If there is a choice between karaoke and a nightclub, I will probably seek out the club.

I will not be singing. :(

Before an earthly flight

Rancoura said:
    If there is a choice between karaoke and a nightclub, I will probably seek out the club.

That's what Daevos said the last time.

Everyone has a song that gets them so pumped they sing. Group songs will make you sing. Also, I'm pretty sure the club-crowd will be going after the karaoke crowd. I could be wrong, but I think that's what happened the last time too. :D
  • Rancoura said:

That's also the beauty of karaoke, if you don't want to sing, you can be entertained by others going ham on cheesy 90s songs and drink alcohol anyway.
    Just checking again, only four of us going for Greek food?
  • I'll be down for Greek and the rest of the plans that day. Still seeing about the 21st
  • The proposed saturday of greek and gardens and stuff sounds good to me. Sorry, not keeping up with forums well, on travel with 12+ hour work days >_<
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    I'm still waiting on a few confirmations, so I'll give you a better number next week if you want to make a reservation.
    Kaimanahi said:
    I'm still waiting on a few confirmations, so I'll give you a better number next week if you want to make a reservation.
    I think it's safe to say both @Kalaneya and I would appreciate that. I should also figure out where near the Greek Place we should all meet. There's a little park (read: playground) with some benches a block or two from there, that might be a good spot... Also will figure out directions, too. Kelly, are you going to join us for Greek and the gardens, or are you gonna do something else for the first half of the day?
    edited May 2017
    Given recent BS with Amtrak and NJT, I really must encourage all of you who are coming to NYC to either drive in, stay somewhere in NYC proper, or factor in the possibility of 1 hour delays or more.

(I may or may not be salty about my train taking an extra hour to get to work today)

Edit: Found out the reason my train was late was because a dead person was found on one of the trains. I revoke my saltiness and grump.
  • Hands up for Friday shenanigans. Will probably meet up in the evening at Beer Authority, on 40th and 8th (next to port authority bus terminal). Amazing food, wings, and drink menu
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Bus confirmed. I should be in the city around 9.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Alright! Brooklyn actually works way better for me. :) I'd love to see the Lion King - we'll see. I'd definitely be down for some touristy things in Manhattan.
    Flames erupt from the caldera below as a distorted voice echoes, "Their spirit must be broken if they wish to be reborn as true warriors."
    @Kaimanahi - Do we have that better number today, for the purpose of making reservations?