Simple questions?

Comments

• edited May 2017
    Might be a bit of a stupid question, but since there skills for relatively mundane things, is there a limit on how well versed your character can be in them without having them?

I would assume someone who is not a cook by trade can still make a nice dinner for their spouse, for example, but how acrobatic can a character be without being a monk or bard, to name an example.

Edit: Some more examples: Playing an instrument without being a bard, fencing without being a warrior.
  • On the flip side of what a character "knows", there are probably plenty of instances where someone has the mechanical skill but doesn't understand how it works.
  • Kerith said:
    On the flip side of what a character "knows", there are probably plenty of instances where someone has the mechanical skill but doesn't understand how it works.
    I know that @Breandryn is a cook mechanically but specifically designs cooking items that...well...at least she is trying to cook..
  • Does some kind of gmcp get sent when you INR and IND and INSKIN and whatnot? My client keeps hanging if I do that for large amounts and wondering if there's something being sent I can maybe fiddle with?
  • edited May 2017
    Yes, if you've enabled Char.Items, but it probably isn't the source of your hang. A gmcp.Char.Items.Remove message is sent with each item that gets inrinfted to note that it has been removed from your inventory:

j  lusterni >inr everything
    d  lusterni |[1] lusternia Comline : stopped
    a  lusterni #Telnet 201: Char.Items.Remove { "location": "inv", "item": { "id": "268526", "name": "a wafer of purity dust", "attrib": "egt" } }
    a  lusterni #Telnet 201: Char.Items.Remove { "location": "inv", "item": { "id": "268676", "name": "a sprig of chervil", "icon": "plant", "attrib": "egt" } }
  • Try disabling compression from the last tab on the settings page, Brea.

I suspect you're experiencing this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/mudlet/+bug/918419

Let me know if this fixes things for you, please?

Regards,
    Martin.

email: martin@pharanyx.net
    Discord: Pharanyx#4357
  • Oh, not on mudlet, sorry.
  • edited May 2017

• 1. Are manse room features a thing? Like, in Aet, I could pay 50 credits and design a non-decay static item for a room in my house, like a tree or a suit of armour. Is that a thing here?

2. Are echoes able to be purchased/set on a per-room basis? Same thing, for 50 credits I got 3 for a room which rotated. Is that option available here?
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    edited May 2017
    Breandryn said:
    1. Are manse room features a thing? Like, in Aet, I could pay 50 credits and design a non-decay static item for a room in my house, like a tree or a suit of armour. Is that a thing here?

I don't think it's a really big thing, but I also don't see why it shouldn't be able to be done. I think artifacts@lusternia.com would be the place to at least send a request and suggested cost, and see if they can't work something out from there.
    Breandryn said:
    2. Are echoes able to be purchased/set on a per-room basis? Same thing, for 50 credits I got 3 for a room which rotated. Is that option available here?
    No, just the archway add-on that I assume you've already seen.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Darn. Archway is too expensive for what it does.
  • Is there a command to see all the aetherships and manses I have perms to enter but aren't my own?
  • FalaeronFalaeron Jolteon
    Chirbi said:
    Is there a command to see all the aetherships and manses I have perms to enter but aren't my own?
    PORTAL SEARCH? It doesn't show you the ones you can't enter, at least.
  • Falaeron said:
    Chirbi said:
    Is there a command to see all the aetherships and manses I have perms to enter but aren't my own?
    Thanks! I think it'd be helpful to see the intentional perms too. Perhaps time to move this to the idea box :wink:
  • FalaeronFalaeron Jolteon
    Chirbi said:
    Falaeron said:
    Chirbi said:
    Thanks! I think it'd be helpful to see the intentional perms too. Perhaps time to move this to the idea box :wink:
    The problem I see with this is that what counts as an 'intentional perm' in this situation? Is it the ones that explicitly state that Chirbi is allowed to enter? Gaudiguch? Not Hallifax?
  • Falaeron said:
    Chirbi said:
    Falaeron said:
    Chirbi said:
    The problem I see with this is that what counts as an 'intentional perm' in this situation? Is it the ones that explicitly state that Chirbi is allowed to enter? Gaudiguch? Not Hallifax?
    PORTAL SEARCH PERMS|PERMISSIONS <me|city|public|blah|blah|blah>

So 'portal search perms gaudiguch' would show what you get because you're a member of Gaudiguch, 'me' would show where you've been intentionally added, and so on. I think doing not-perms would be actually complicated, but I don't think that filtering the list you get with PORTAL SEARCH is too wild of an idea. :)
  • Afaik, only a city's power ministry can see connected manses' perms - to ensure they comply with city security rules. That's a legit reason. I can't think of a legit reason everybody needs to see that. In fact, I can see it being used to exploit security.
  • Will icewalls and similar mechanisms block denizens from exit or only does that work only on players? Or alternatively, is there a way that I can prevent a denizen from wondering out of the current room?
  • edited May 2017
    Kerith said:
    Afaik, only a city's power ministry can see connected manses' perms - to ensure they comply with city security rules. That's a legit reason. I can't think of a legit reason everybody needs to see that. In fact, I can see it being used to exploit security.
    That's a different thing entirely anyways. and I don't think anyone disagrees with you :)

EDIT: back to questions! If anyone wants to see what I'm actually talking about as an idea and not these other things: http://forums.lusternia.com/discussion/comment/173288#Comment_173288
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Foehn said:
    Will icewalls and similar mechanisms block denizens from exit or only does that work only on players? Or alternatively, is there a way that I can prevent a denizen from wondering out of the current room?
    I seem to remember needing to find a one room area with a door and magelocking it closed when killing cattle, so I don't think icewall works. Could be wrong though
  • Foehn said:
    Will icewalls and similar mechanisms block denizens from exit or only does that work only on players? Or alternatively, is there a way that I can prevent a denizen from wondering out of the current room?
    @Foehn  Icewalls definitely blocks mobs. Doors too. I'm sure there are special ones that can melt/walk through/tumble.
  • Chirbi said:
    Kerith said:
    Afaik, only a city's power ministry can see connected manses' perms - to ensure they comply with city security rules. That's a legit reason. I can't think of a legit reason everybody needs to see that. In fact, I can see it being used to exploit security.
    That's a different thing entirely anyways. and I don't think anyone disagrees with you :)

EDIT: back to questions! If anyone wants to see what I'm actually talking about as an idea and not these other things: http://forums.lusternia.com/discussion/comment/173288#Comment_173288
    I guess I just don't understand your question/idea, then, sorry. Hopefully someone can give you a better answer.
  • Kerith said:
    Chirbi said:
    Kerith said:

I guess I just don't understand your question/idea, then, sorry. Hopefully someone can give you a better answer.
    just follow the link :sunglasses:
  • I did. I still don't understand. But enough derailing. :)
  • SazSaz
    edited May 2017
    Chirbi said:
    Foehn said:
    @Foehn  Icewalls definitely blocks mobs. Doors too. I'm sure there are special ones that can melt/walk through/tumble.
    Either the list of exceptions is generously huge or the statement above is false. As far as I know, denizens are immune to icewall-like effects.  

In fact I just did a quick test on a random denizen, unless bunnies hopping counts towards pogostick/leap for players by default

You point a star-etched emerald ring towards the north, and sparks fly out of it.
    An icewall rises up to the north.
    A plump wild rabbit bounces out to the north.
     "Oh the year was 453CE, how I wish I was in Serenwilde now... aletter of marque come from the regent to the scummiest aethership I ever seen, gods damn them all...I was told we'd cruise the void for auronidion and dust, we'd fire no turrets, shed no tears.. now I'm a broken man on a Hallifax tier, the last of Saz's privateers."

-Kilian
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I was planning a test when I got home, but I remember the same as you; there are any number of aetherbubbles where the native wildlife will happily tromp right through an icewall.

Doors can work, though many NPCs will just open said door unless you lock it.
  • SazSaz
    edited May 2017
    <After some contemplation, I found this comment isn't particularly helpful, hence removed it.>
     "Oh the year was 453CE, how I wish I was in Serenwilde now... aletter of marque come from the regent to the scummiest aethership I ever seen, gods damn them all...I was told we'd cruise the void for auronidion and dust, we'd fire no turrets, shed no tears.. now I'm a broken man on a Hallifax tier, the last of Saz's privateers."

-Kilian
  • Kerith said:
    Perhaps the new Minister of Security should be able to see it too(just the Minister, not the aides).
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• edited May 2017
    Saz said:
    Chirbi said:
    Foehn said:
    Either the list of exceptions is generously huge or the statement above is false. As far as I know, denizens are immune to icewall-like effects.  

In fact I just did a quick test on a random denizen, unless bunnies hopping counts towards pogostick/leap for players by default

You point a star-etched emerald ring towards the north, and sparks fly out of it.
    An icewall rises up to the north.
    A plump wild rabbit bounces out to the north.
    I only made that claim with confidence because @Rhi and I used icewalls to block some mobs that had fear and were running around the guildhall. It absolutely worked and when the icewall melted they came back in. Would their regular movement, not induced by fear, be blocked by the icewall? Unclear. :smile: 

I also am pretty sure doors stop some mobs, because I had to use doors during a city event where gorgons were roaming around so I'd stop getting thrashed. Again, this is obviously not always true! :wink: 

I'd never count on a door or icewall if I really depended on it, or wanted to coral them for whatever reason.