ASCII Program - iOS

Just found this program today, thought it might be of interest to those who are really into embellishing their help files etc.

Basically you can draw and it translates to art, or it also has presets to fiddle around with. You choose the text output it spits out: pure ascii, unicode, etc. If you have a drawing tablet I could potentially see it as something really neat to use to add illustration to books, invitations and so on.

It has a 30-day free thing.

Mac only, at least Yosemite required

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)

Comments

• I'm just going to say to keep in mind that while ASCII art in helpfiles and books looks cool, it's rarely screenreader-friendly and we do have a number of visually-impaired players. This may be something to keep in mind.
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Ianir said:
    I'm just going to say to keep in mind that while ASCII art in helpfiles and books looks cool, it's rarely screenreader-friendly and we do have a number of visually-impaired players. This may be something to keep in mind.
    True dat. We rewrote a few ghelp files because we had a visually-impaired guild member who could not read our very-visually pretty, but horrifying-to-screen-reader notes.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Excellent point, @Ianir. I'm not familiar with how screen-readers work but I always did wonder how people manage them in a game like this.

This ASCII thing sounds great for books in a private library, perhaps. Too bad it's Mac-only. :disappointed:
  • edited May 2017
    Ianir said:
    I'm just going to say to keep in mind that while ASCII art in helpfiles and books looks cool, it's rarely screenreader-friendly and we do have a number of visually-impaired players. This may be something to keep in mind.
    It's not as bad as you think. I had Faragan look over some scrolls with ASCII headers and he was able to get all the information fine. I think if you confine the ASCII to headers it is fine as the screenreader will skip past that.
  • Breandryn said:
    Ianir said:
    It's not as bad as you think. I had Faragan look over some scrolls with ASCII headers and he was able to get all the information fine. I think if you confine the ASCII to headers it is fine as the screenreader will skip past that.
    Not all clients and not all screen-readers work the same. I've seen three clients in use - MUSHclient, Mudlet, and VIPmud (which is built for Visually-Impaired users and filters out a lot). I'm not sure what Faragan uses, I've seen both JAWS with Mudlet, JAWS with MUSHclient, and the SAPI hooks with MUSHclient screw up with large bits of ASCII art.

Not every piece of technology works the same, nor is every single person's experience the same.
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
  • Sure, I agree that compatibility is great. That's why I always point out things I see as a non-mudlet-user, like what xterm looks like or how I can't navigate my manse anymore due to the room name changes. More people like those than dislike them so it seems those things are part of the game. I think it's just a bit weird for admin to be telling players not to use tools like this, when the game's design has shown compatibility and access are lower in priority. (note, lower in priority doesn't mean bad, priority is important for development).