Estarra's London Meet - August 26, 2017

I'm taking my first trip to Europe this year and would like to see if there's any interest in meeting up with players and volunteers on Saturday, August 26, 2017! Let me know if you are interested and also suggestions on where to meet would be welcome (since I have no idea where a good place to meet ).

Comments

• Oh my goodness, a meet I could actually make it to! (Possibly).
    The Friday is my last day of clinical placement, so I'll have a talk with my SO and see!

I have no idea where I'm going, too, so will rely on people who live in/near again like the last meet!
  • It's definitely possible.  I don't know London well enough to make suggestions though.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Ooh, very tempting! Same non-Londoner issue here though.
  • I hope that I can make it time-wise since I got an extension of my thesis time and now have to hand it in on September 13th. But if I can make it, I'd love to come.

Camden is a lovely place...lots of food from lots of countries and little shops with vintage stuff and second-hand things (and house boats). Other than that, there are many free museums (British Museum ftw! and the Science Museum is quite cool as well), yummy Indian food in Brick Lane and a Cat Cafe I haven't been to yet....and so many other awesome things.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    I will drag my arse the length of the country for this!

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Karlach said:
    At least it's a short country to get through. Imagine if you were American and the meet was on the other side of your country! :grin:
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Karlach said:
    Kerith said:
    Karlach said:
    At least it's a short country to get through. Imagine if you were American and the meet was on the other side of your country! :grin:
    Yeah but you don't know British Rail. It'd probably cheaper to go coast to coast in America xD
    Possibly, but you'll lose your mind.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    Haha, I'm always amazed by some of the Americans who come to Ireland and do day trips to Kerry, or the Cliffs of Moher or wherever, thinking they're mad for going there and back in the same day. A length of the country drive over here barely crosses a few counties. :D

Anyhoo, return flights are looking cheap, so imagine best spot for accomodation would be relatively near Soho/Camden for a quick stumble home after?
  • EEEE one of you people needs to drag Shiri into this somehow
    Sylandra said:
    Karlach said:
    Kerith said:
    Karlach said:
    Yeah but you don't know British Rail. It'd probably cheaper to go coast to coast in America xD
    ... I need to do this.

Also that's only £40 more expensive than my trip. That's exceptionally depressing.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Karlach said:
    Sylandra said:
    Karlach said:
    Kerith said:
    Karlach said:
    ... I need to do this.

Also that's only £40 more expensive than my trip. That's exceptionally depressing.
    If you want to ride a train for four days straight across the US crammed in a tiny seat, I mean, more power to you. (This doesn't include food fyi.)
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Can we all pitch in on an AirBnB or something where we can crash?  I'm on a budget and happy to sleep/pass out on a floor.
  • I am up for this.

@Karlach - depending where in London we end up I might be persuaded to drive down from Leeds, just saying
    Please note: I deliberately play a very flawed character. Just because he says or does something, does not mean I agree with it. He's a bit of a <censored> really
  • It should be heaving - isn't it Notting Hill Carnival that weekend?

Sadly cos it is a bank holiday, i'll be away
    edited May 2017
    @Laysus thanks for the offer, but as is, it'd cost me a fair bit just to get to Leeds, Cumbrian/North West rail is an absolute joke these days.

Edit: As to all grabbing a place, we did something for Glomfest a few years ago where we rented a house out, it worked out really cheap for everyone, once there's an idea of numbers and such it'd be probable to do it again. @Thyelleia was a master at tracking down awesome places.

• edited May 2017
    I'm glad you liked it.
    Aye, I can try to find something again though as I said I'm probably the least certain person since it all depends on how my research goes. But as far as I remember, back then I was very close to the deadline of my BA thesis and it all worked out well. So I hope, I'll be able to do the same this time (just be prepeared for a person who might hold soliloquies about grammar from time to time :D).

• I'm up for doing something like that again, definitely.
    I'd also be on for that, but thinking of making it a long weekend and doing Fri-Mon so that I can catch up with a few other mates too. If that works with the rest of your timelines, great, but I'll probably be looking into sorting a place for myself on some of the nights at least!
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    Psh, how can you go to London, but not the east coast?? :(
  • Kai just come! Esty will pack you as carry-on
  • I've been trying to figure out where to hold the meet. It seems rather expensive renting a private venue in London. And for those places that I can afford, I'm not sure how out of the way they are since I really don't know the area well enough (where the heck is Brixton? is it a stone's throw from London?). Anyway, any suggestions would be welcome!
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    From Central London (roughly where Buckingham Palace is, in this example) to Brixton is around 4-5 miles. About 20 minutes by car.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
    So sudden realisation (thanks Google calendar) has dawned on me that I'm at my Uncle's wedding the day of this.

Sadly, and I mean sadly, I won't be able to attend this meet, which sucks because I was hoping to get down.

Have a great time, take lots of pictures.

• So, due to certain issues and money (I'm looking at you, extra costs for this goddamn kitchen and new job training) I won't be able to make it over to the meet :( I'm sorry, I was really looking forward to it.
  • edited July 2017
    Okay, being that I have a feeling this will be a small meet, I've reserved a table for 10 at 6:00pm at the Morpeth Arms: http://www.morpetharms.com/index
    If more people show up than 10, we'll hopefully be able to spread out or crowd in or something. If less than 10 show up, we'll just have to drink more to make up for it. It would be nice to have a rough estimate of how many people will show up so if you plan on it, please respond here!

BTW, ANYONE WHO SHOWS UP WILL RECEIVE A SPECIAL GIFT FROM ESTARRA!

• KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited July 2017
    Estarra said:
    Okay, being that I have a feeling this will be a small meet, I've reserved a table for 10 at 6:00pm at the Morpeth Arms: http://www.morpetharms.com/index
    If more people show up than 10, we'll hopefully be able to spread out or crowd in or something. If less than 10 show up, we'll just have to drink more to make up for it. It would be nice to have a rough estimate of how many people will show up so if you plan on it, please respond here!

BTW, ANYONE WHO SHOWS UP WILL RECEIVE A SPECIAL GIFT FROM ESTARRA!

Sorry @Estarra, UK is a bit far for me to travel :p.  Next time there is a gathering in NorCal though, I will definitely be in.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?