The Brits Only Thread

Comments

• Versalean said:
    Fyler said:
    I just wanted to post this to prove you can't tell Americans what to do! #freedom
    Image result for william shatner memes

Known Aliases: Celina/Cyndarin/Fire Jesus/The Night/That Bitch who griefed us
  • edited June 2017
    Versalean said:
    Fine, fine, fine.

First generation deserters will be permitted to post without tsk'ing, so long as they agree to the following declarations:

1) It is right and proper to order FAR too much food at an Indian restaurant, despite the polite counsel of the waiter,
    2) Football is played with your feet. If you are allowed to use your hands, it is not football,
    3) Football is, in all conceivable regards, superior to ice hockey,
    4) The British PM is sexier than the Canadian PM.
    1) Fine. I don't understand this reference.
    2) I don't sports so idk. Call it scone tossing for all I care.
    3) See 2
    4) We've moved on from Justin and are currently swooning over Macron. Frankly, everyone is sexier than our tangerine tinted trashcan fire.
  • I can't read that weird font so I don't know what's happening. From the picture I guess the ship is ramming the building on the left whilst people are waving... black plungers?

And yes, there are still villages like in Enid Blyton where scamps in shorts get into jolly japes, accompanied by a scruffy dog.
  • Dys said:
    I can't read that weird font so I don't know what's happening. From the picture I guess the ship is ramming the building on the left whilst people are waving... black plungers?

And yes, there are still villages like in Enid Blyton where scamps in shorts get into jolly japes, accompanied by a scruffy dog.
    It's the Boston Tea Party!
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Is this also the thread where one Irish person can sneak in a post and the following week there's a whole community?

Rule, Britannia!

• edited June 2017
    I have a real question. What DO the Brits think about Trump? Does your media cover him at all? He saturates our media non stop, I assume he does not saturate yours to the same extent. 
  • Its true.

But we have had Prince Phillip for ages too and he trumps Trump
  • Dys said:
    Excellent! I grew up reading Blython. I am glad they still exist!
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    2) goalies. Throwins from out of bounds. Better find another game to call football.
    3) "football" has players diving for no reason. Finals of anything is hard to watch. Hockey doesn't have riots. Point, hockey.
    4) dunno. No opinion there.

Furthermore, do you have awesome action figures?

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/3a6ab64

No, you don't. :)
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    Man, that first tea .gif escalates quickly.

• I'll see your Shatner and raise you a Hyacinth:

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Versalean said:
    2) Football is played with your feet. If you are allowed to use your hands, it is not football,
    Goalkeepers.

You should have just said driving on the left, as is the proper way.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

Fyler said:
    I have a real question. What DO the Brits think about Trump? Does your media cover him at all? He saturates our media non stop, I assume he does not saturate yours to the same extent. 
    He's that "no matter how bad you think you feel about your country, it could be worse" story at the end of the news.

Though rarely, he seems to do something that makes sense, and everyone trips over themselves to find a way to hate him for it anyway, because god forbid they ever agree with him on anything. It's an amusing circus.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• edited June 2017
    Karlach said:
    Fyler said:
    He's that "no matter how bad you think you feel about your country, it could be worse" story at the end of the news.

Though rarely, he seems to do something that makes sense, and everyone trips over themselves to find a way to hate him for it anyway, because god forbid they ever agree with him on anything. It's an amusing circus.
    As a rubbernecking bystander, I am still wondering just how the hell he got elected...
  • By winning the most colleges, p sure. Equally sure that this line of conversation will get this thread shut down quicker than you can say "Forum Rules"!
    Ordassa said:
    Karlach said:
    Fyler said:

As a rubbernecking bystander, I am still wondering just how the hell he got elected...
    Same way Brexit happened, complacency is a killer.

• Karlach said:
    Ordassa said:
    Karlach said:
    Fyler said:

Complacency??? SHE WON THE POPULAR VOTE.
  • Versalean said:
    Karlach said:
    Complacency??? SHE WON THE POPULAR VOTE.
    In a record turnout
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited June 2017
    ... are you all really headed towards a debate of the electoral college?  That's a good way to get lost in the weeds of centuries-old decisions about power distribution that probably do not make as much sense in the modern era.

PS: If this is Brits-only, does that mean only British moderators should moderate it?

PPS: Many Americans do not do so well at listening when told not to speak.  Right, Celina?  I have managed to resist for days...

Edit: Or a single day?  It sure feels like days, though.  So difficult.
  • edited June 2017
    Watch the politics folks. We're treading on a somewhat thin line here.

In slightly more relevant news, I'm on holiday and there is no tea to be found where I'm staying. Tempted to dash to the market and see if I can find some Twinings or such, but I'm somewhat convinced I am going through withdrawals.

(And before anybody gets on the "Ianir isn't british" train, I work there, it's close enough.)
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
  • Xenthos said:
    ... are you all really headed towards a debate of the electoral college?  That's a good way to get lost in the weeds of centuries-old decisions about power distribution that probably do not make as much sense in the modern era.

PS: If this is Brits-only, does that mean only British moderators should moderate it?

PPS: Many Americans do not do so well at listening when told not to speak.  Right, Celina?  I have managed to resist for days...

Edit: Or a single day?  It sure feels like days, though.  So difficult.
    Image result for william shatner memes
  • Ianir said:

In slightly more relevant news, I'm on holiday and there is no tea to be found where I'm staying. Tempted to dash to the market and see if I can find some Twinings or such, but I'm somewhat convinced I am going through withdrawals.

(And before anybody gets on the "Ianir isn't british" train, I work there, it's close enough.)
    Well, again, I feel impelled to test your Britishness:

You lend £100 to a close friend, who promises to pay you back as soon as they get paid. A week after they get paid you haven't heard from them or seen a single penny. Do you:

a) Do nothing. I've already paid somebody £200 to break his knees and elbows,
    b) Send them a polite SMS 'Just seeing how you are',
    c) Let it ride. It's only £100. I was only going to spend it on beer and credits,
    d) Make some passive-aggressive references on Facebook to people who don't keep their promises.

• Versalean said:
    Ianir said:

Well, again, I feel impelled to test your Britishness:

You lend £100 to a close friend, who promises to pay you back as soon as they get paid. A week after they get paid you haven't heard from them or seen a single penny. Do you:

a) Do nothing. I've already paid somebody £200 to break his knees and elbows,
    b) Send them a polite SMS 'Just seeing how you are',
    c) Let it ride. It's only £100. I was only going to spend it on beer and credits,
    d) Make some passive-aggressive references on Facebook to people who don't keep their promises.

Having already been in this situation, C. I was a bit younger at the time, so there might have been a bit of B if not for the fact that I do live in the US and I found myself unsure if international SMS would cost more and I was already out £250.

A is just ridiculous, and D is just ridiculous and would make me seem like a complete and utter cockwomble.
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
  • Next question should be:

Eating a sausage sandwich:
    Brown sauce
    Red sauce
    No sauce at all

If they ask what brown sauce is, boot them

• To be fair, if they pick anything but brown sauce they should be shunned too
    To be fair, I use ketchup, that's a regional thing.

Like what you put on your fish and chips.

• Well its fine for fish and chips but not for a sausage or bacon sandwich.

That's how the War of the Roses started. Allegedly